• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata Talks Final Fantasy XV Story Imbalances and the Teams Unconventional Decision

Funny thing: Why would Tabata be apologizing after his game was generally very well received by press and public alike?

The game builds up to the "gag" with the
photograph
at the end. The reaction to that is what justifies the way the story is constructed.

Not to say that the game or the story-telling is flawless; but in a broad sense it works extremely well at building identification with Noctis and his bro's, so the climax of the story actually means something emotionally, and isn't just empty spectacle.

I actually disagree massively....

The climax of the story meant nothing to me. I was so disenchanted with the terribly convoluted story that instead of ENDGAME SPOILER
Using the bro pic they want you to use - I used a pic of a close up of Cindy's tits and it was fucking hilarious when Noctis showed it to that woman and they cuddled at the end

So yeah - for me at least it was a shell of a game.

bigol

I don't believe you,Tabata.

This statement also contraddicts what you are doing with the additional cutscenes in coming patch.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/...-xv-story-imbalances-latter-half-game-linear/

Speaking with Game Informer, director Hajime Tabata says the narrative direction was entirely intentional – namely the important events that happened off-screen. “It was for the players to experience the story through Noctis’ eyes,” he told the magazine. “The world and the events that Noctis sees are merely things that are seen through his eyes. We didn’t want to create a comprehensive and perfectly balanced story in this game. Instead, we placed importance on the main characters and for the player and Noctis to share the same experience when we tell the story.”​

5TJ1lXd.png

More at the link and even more in the newest Game Informer issue.

CLq_RFe1_UEAAv_LOy.jpg

Setsu00

Funny thing: Why would Tabata be apologizing after his game was generally very well received by press and public alike?

The game builds up to the "gag" with the
photograph
at the end. The reaction to that is what justifies the way the story is constructed.

Not to say that the game or the story-telling is flawless; but in a broad sense it works extremely well at building identification with Noctis and his bro's, so the climax of the story actually means something emotionally, and isn't just empty spectacle.

I absolutely disagree.

First of all, Tabata doesn't seem to be apologizing at all. Instead I get the impression that he's trying to justify his direction of the story, pretty much like this: "It's my artistic vision and therefore any criticism towards it is invalid as you are just inable to understand the intricacies of my mind."

Secondly I believe that FFXV's ending is one giantic attempt at emotional manipulation. I won't deny that I wasn't feeling sad by the end of the story, but that feeling of sadness was completely unearned as the game does a terrible job at actually telling you the story. Potentially emotional moments fall completely flat due to poor execution (Regis's death, the revelation about Prompto, the altercation between Noctis and Gladio in the train, etc.) and because of that I can't help but feel cheated by the ending. Luna's death is the exact same thing, just one size smaller: It works the first time, mostly due to the fantastic music and the fact that they actually cared about the cinematography in the scene, but again it's completely unearned as they didn't bother to explain her relationship with Noctis enough.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Secondly I believe that FFXV's ending is one giantic attempt at emotional manipulation.

That's what storytelling does though. Its all about manipulation because creating a reaction is it's purpose.

Doesn't matter if you want to make people laugh, cry, or whatever. Its more about the build-up than the punch-line itself.

In XV's case none of the stuff people are complaining about actually has that much contributory effect on the punch-line; Luna and Regis's story are minimized and side-lined respectively because they'd just distract and detract from the relationship between Noctis and his Bro's in this final moment of truth.

Whether it worked for you or not, isn't really the point. Your experience is your own after all. That being said, it has no bearing on the legitimacy of Tabata's approach; which personally I can find no fault with in a creative/artistic sense, and actually find it quite admirable given the circumstances of the game's development.

Toth

Your a fool if you think this games story is good

I'm no fool and think the game story's is very good. It just needs more to make it great. As I have said repeatedly before, cutting the bros' character building episodes for DLC was a really bad idea. I suspect even more world building will be present in them ( like the possibility of exploring Solheim ruins with Gladio, the icy desert with Prompto, etc.)

royox

As a game company well known for making legendary games with amazing stories and characters you are doing something very wrong when a supposed major character dies ingame and the reaction of most players is "well...there it is... What now?" And this happens at least 3 times during the whole game

N3v3r 4g3t Jared.

Top Bottom