• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TACTICS OGRE (PSP) - Now confirmed for US release! LET US CREAM TOGETHER

Status
Not open for further replies.
duckroll said:
The article specifically says that Matsuno is personally revising the script and making all the additions and changes to the original script. There will be a lot more text in the remake script, and there will be new side stories and characters to flesh out the world and feelings of the characters in the original game. So yeah, this isn't a case of them just using his name.

Waiting for the inevitable retranslation by Alex O. Smith(Reeder can help).

jiggle

maybe it's the quality of the scans
but the gameplay graphics look the same as the original?
with new portrait/dialog box

i hope that's not the case
but am glad they're sticking with sprites and SD

bigger news are the franchise is not dead and matsuno back on SE's good graces(hopefully!)??

the artworks are VERY hawt

Ether_Snake said:
I love the character art style of the original. I hope we'll get nice big pictures of them this time. The ones I have of TO are tiny, and I have like two characters only.

the dialog portraits are like 1/3 of the length of the screen

Johann

Bebpo said:
All this talent gathered again
Cover story in famitsu
HUGE SCOOP

and it's...a port of the SNES game with some new side story scenarios and gameplay systems added/rehauled as a bonus.

a bit disappointing, but better than nothing. New scenarios by Matsuno are always nice.

Would have liked an entirely new TO with this staff instead :X

I haven't seen the game but it wasn't given a big budget by even handheld standards according to Matsuno. This is assuming that his twitter account referred to this remake instead of some other project he was contracted for. I'm still glad that the stars have aligned and we have a game such as this.

Ogre Battle Saga will rise again!

Matsuno is back.

I am not so surprised though: I knew Matsuno was working on something and I thought maybe Square Enix will let him revive Ogre Battle license wich was sleeping in SquEnix's buildings.

Bebpo

Banned
Johann said:
I haven't seen the game but it wasn't given a big budget by even handheld standards according to Matsuno. This is assuming that his twitter account referred to this remake instead of some other project he was contracted for. I'm still glad that the stars have aligned and we have a game such as this.

Yeah, I'm glad to have anything new I can get that Matsuno is involved in. It does seem weird that a game with a huge name behind it like TO, with a huge list of famous staff, gets a small budget by SE :(

I hope the gameplay rehaul means the maps are all different as well so you have to use different tactics. Since the original is just about perfect (perfect story, perfect maps, perfect gameplay), if you're gonna change it, you might as well completely change it and make it play like a different game that just happens to tell the same story.

Ridley327

H_Prestige said:
Hopefully this means Matsuno can be part of FFXV.
I don't think Squenix is going to allow Matsuno within 20 feet of a mainline FF game ever again. :lol

That said, this is unexpected and fairly awesome news.

H_Prestige said:
Hopefully this means Matsuno can be part of FFXV.

I doubt they'd let him do a mainline FF anytime soon, but hopefully he can work on his own Ivalice world in spinoffs and what not. Or maybe a another Ogre Battle game.

Pociask

So... is it a test? Do we all have to buy PSP's to buy this game so that we can have new Ogre Battles and Tactic Ogres? Or is it being sent to die on the PSP, so Square can tell fans to f' off already?

Aw, who cares, new Tactics Ogre!
:D

Aeana

Fimbulvetr said:
Waiting for the inevitable retranslation by Alex O. Smith(Reeder can help).
I think the odds of that are pretty high. Kachua's new English name is already Carissa, which made me think of AOS for some reason. Still, I can't imagine why anybody besides AOS would work on a Matsuno game these days.

Ridley327

Pociask said:
So... is it a test? Do we all have to buy PSP's to buy this game so that we can have new Ogre Battles and Tactic Ogres? Or is it being sent to die on the PSP, so Square can tell fans to f' off already?

Aw, who cares, new Tactics Ogre!
:D
I don't think it's being sent to die on the PSP because there's only about 700 people in the US that would actually buy this in the first place.

Rur0ni

Hikash Winzalf said:
Ogre Battle Saga will rise again!

Matsuno is back.

I am not so surprised though: I knew Matsuno was working on something and I thought maybe Square Enix will let him revive Ogre Battle license wich was sleeping in SquEnix's buildings.
Ogre Battle is really the only Square stuff I'm interested in (not a big jrpg guy). I'd love another OB64 type of game.

cosmicblizzard said:
I never want him near a mainline FF again. Let him stick with Ivalice if that makes a comeback.

Suck it, hater.

But yeah. I'd rather have him stay away too.

Bebpo said:
If this pays off, I wonder if SE will give the team a little more budget for Vagrant Story remake on 3DS ;)

This would be the only thing that could excite me more.

Snakeyes

Fimbulvetr said:
Suck it, hater.

But yeah. I'd rather have him stay away too.

This would be the only thing that could excite me more.

What if it was a true sequel instead of a remake, with Matsuno directing the whole thing?

B.K.

I hope Matsuno adds an epilogue to wrap up the original game's cliffhanger ending. I'm still waiting for Episode VIII to see what happens next.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
farnham said:
Matsuno Yasumi working on the game seals the deal for me. OMG im excited!

1. FFTA series is not shitty imo
2. FFT and Ogre are not in the same position as FF, DQ in the subgenre SRPG. Fire Emblem and Shining Force are.

1. If you say so. The Neverending Story wants its plot back.
2. Shining force? No. Besides, you're splitting hairs when you know full well the intent of the post. Tactics Ogre and FF:Tactics are two of the absolute best representations of the SRPG genre.

Onion Relish, I understand. You really ought to give War of the Lions a chance. It's nothing like the Advance series. It will also give you an idea of what to expect from this remake, unless you're down to try the fan translation of the snes version.

TheChaos

Yay! More people can witness TO's awesome story. I wonder if they will take out the game-breaking parts of the original (Necromancy + Retissue, petrify abuse)

Awesome news.
Can't wait for it to not be released in North America.

Gotta admire the PSP's resilience in Japan.
It's like the little engine that could.

B.K.

Just saw the rest of the scans. I have to admit, I'm kind of disappointed the graphics didn't get more of an overhaul than they did.

Prax

For a system I do not ownnnnnnn??!! NOOO!! Of all the..

Well, at the very least, I'll be able to enjoy new artworks or something.

Square Enix sure love putting remakes on the PSP. Since this is a remake, the price point and new features will determine whether I buy this game or not.

B.K.

Prax said:
For a system I do not ownnnnnnn??!! NOOO!! Of all the..

Well, at the very least, I'll be able to enjoy new artworks or something.

OR you could go buy a PSP. Gamestop has the 3000 Core pack on sale for $150.

vireland

Stumpokapow said:
not a queen song, not a real ogre game

First thing I thought of.

Even if it's a remake, there's a number of possibilities that would have worked and kept the Queen song tradition alive. My three contenders:

Death on Two Legs
Hammer to Fall
Was it All Worth It?

Shouta

Aeana said:
I think the odds of that are pretty high. Kachua's new English name is already Carissa, which made me think of AOS for some reason. Still, I can't imagine why anybody besides AOS would work on a Matsuno game these days.

Unless you're seeing a clearer scan than I am, pretty sure it could be Catiua that's written there.

Fuck yes, TO!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Wow. Just wow. This is amazing. And the chance of matsuno being back at SE for more than just this... Oh god.

WanderingWind said:
Onion Relish, I understand. You really ought to give War of the Lions a chance. It's nothing like the Advance series. It will also give you an idea of what to expect from this remake, unless you're down to try the fan translation of the snes version.

Yeah I will actually add that to my list of games. I dont have much on their currently. Just finished Peace Walker and I dont have access to my triple atm, so I'll do some research on it :)
Thankfully I dont plan on buying too many of the games during the pre-christmas rush bonanza. Def grabbing GT5, and might bite on the Medal of Honor (if only for the AA HD remake) So i can imagine fitting the game into my schedule.

Neogaf, so nice T_T

edit:

B.K. said:
OR you could go buy a PSP. Gamestop has the 3000 Core pack on sale for $150.

B-B-But he could be buying a Kinect with that money!

FFS Sony stop making me want to buy a PSP. First Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and now this? I mean, it's like, you are actually giving me really, really good reasons to buy a PSP.

Going by the posts in this thread.

Sony: "Holy crap, PSP sales are through the roof this month!"

Square Enix: "You're welcome."

GillianSeed79 said:
FFS Sony stop making me want to buy a PSP. First Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and now this? I mean, it's like, you are actually giving me really, really good reasons to buy a PSP. How is that possible?

There are plenty of good PSP games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fimbulvetr said:
Going by the posts in this thread.

Sony: "Holy crap, PSP sales are through the roof this month!"

Square Enix: "You're welcome."
True, we are at the point where twelve extra PSPs is a large difference. :p

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If I hated Ogre Battle for SNES (So avoided the rest of the Ogre games), but LOVED FFT and FFXII, how should I feel about this?

Don't get me wrong, I love Matsuno. I just had a bad experience with Ogre series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom