• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TACTICS OGRE (PSP) - Now confirmed for US release! LET US CREAM TOGETHER

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the most amazing thing ever. Can't believe Matsuno is back.

John Harker said:
If I hated Ogre Battle for SNES (So avoided the rest of the Ogre games), but LOVED FFT and FFXII, how should I feel about this?

Don't get me wrong, I love Matsuno. I just had a bad experience with Ogre series.

FFT is basically TO with a Final Fantasy coat of paint. If you liked FFT, you'll like TO.

John Harker said:
If I hated Ogre Battle for SNES (So avoided the rest of the Ogre games), but LOVED FFT and FFXII, how should I feel about this?

Don't get me wrong, I love Matsuno. I just had a bad experience with Ogre series.

Tactics Ogre is pretty much the FFTactics' father. So if you liked Tactics you'll probably like this.

Edit: Beaten.

Goddam i need a PSP now. I personally liked FF Tactics more than TO, but they both obliterate the other SRPGs I've played. Plus, Matsuno returning means they could competently rebalance the whole thing to make it somewhat fresh while still being a "remake". I might be getting my hopes up too much there though...

explodet

Hey guys, what's going on in this thre....

duckroll said:
Director: Hiroshi Minagawa
Game Design: Yausmi Matsuno
Character Design: Akihiko Yoshida, Tsubasa Masao
Music: Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masaharu Iwata
Wow. Awesome. :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Stumpokapow said:
not a proper queen song, comes from the flash gordon soundtrack

everyone else gets appropriate queen points

Yes, but the title of the game in Japanese could be translated as the The "Ring" of Fate. :p

dili

Aeana said:
Seeing the other scans on a larger monitor, it kind of seems like they've made it 3D now.
Hopefully they have, along with a rotating camera ala FFT. I remember it being kind of hard to see seomtimes behind certain houses in the way of the action.

Absoludacrous said:
FFT is basically TO with a Final Fantasy coat of paint. If you liked FFT, you'll like TO.

I actually didn't like any of the TO games and I love FFT. However, that could just be nostalgia speaking since I played TO for the first time in 2006.

Bebpo

Banned
Aeana said:
Seeing the other scans on a larger monitor, it kind of seems like they've made it 3D now.

Backgrounds or sprites?

Backgrounds are definitely 3d from the pics.
Sprites look 2d to me, but they were small pics.

Aeana

Bebpo said:
Backgrounds or sprites?

Backgrounds are definitely 3d from the pics.
Sprites look 2d to me, but they were small pics.
Backgrounds, yeah.
Sprites... actually look the same. I hope they're not the same, though. It's really hard to tell.

Snakeyes

johnsmith said:
Why does it have to be for psp?

Because it can benefit from better presentation than if it was on DS while keeping a relatively low budget. I'm also not very pleased with the decision but it makes sense from a business perspective.

Sipowicz

Banned
Buying Peace Walker pack right now.

Which other games should I buy? I already have the SMT games.

locoroco 2
patapon
the warriors
syphon filter 1+2
crush
persona 3
chinatown wars
chains of olympus
wipeout 1+2
jeaanne d'arc (maybe)
ghosts n goblins
dracula x chronicles
megaman power up/X
space invaders extreme
outrun
pirates
gitaroo man
rockband uunplugged
djmax
motorstorm
metal gear acid 2
patchwork heroes

also make sure you get a PSP 2000. not only is it better you can put cfw on it and transfer all your old ps1 games on it

Bebpo

Banned
Sipowicz said:
locoroco 2
patapon
the warriors
syphon filter 1+2
crush
persona 3
chinatown wars
chains of olympus
wipeout 1+2
jeaanne d'arc (maybe)
ghosts n goblins
dracula x chronicles
megaman power up/X
space invaders extreme
outrun
pirates
gitaroo man
rockband uunplugged
djmax
motorstorm
metal gear acid 2
patchwork heroes

also make sure you get a PSP 2000. not only is it better you can put cfw on it and transfer all your old ps1 games on it

3000 is fine for most people. The screen is MUCH better than the 2000 screen and all modern psp games have data install so you play them off the stick with no load times anyhow.

Once I got my 3000, I never used my CFW PSP again. The screen is just a huge difference.

Sipowicz

Banned
johnsmith said:
Is Valkyria Chronicles going to be the only SRPG with current gen graphics?

no because the PSP like the Wii, DS, PS3 and 360 is a current gen system

if you give a shit about rpgs (or even just valkyri chronicles) you should own a PSP already

Grimmy

Banned
johnsmith said:

:rolleyes:

At this point, if you like SRPGS and you don't have a PSP, you're the problem, not the PSP

johnsmith said:
Is Valkyria Chronicles going to be the only SRPG with current gen graphics?

What a ridiculous statement.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
johnsmith said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it found its way to the 3DS as well :lol

THE OGRE SAGA LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sipowicz

Banned
Bebpo said:
3000 is fine for most people. The screen is MUCH better than the 2000 screen and all modern psp games have data install so you play them off the stick with no load times anyhow.

Once I got my 3000, I never used my CFW PSP again. The screen is just a huge difference.

the screen is supposed to be messed up for 2d games

and cfw is awesome for old PS1 games. i completed FF9 ont he PSP for the first time and it was great

Bebpo

Banned
Sipowicz said:
the screen is supposed to be messed up for 2d games

and cfw is awesome for old PS1 games. i completed FF9 ont he PSP for the first time and it was great

The screen is fine for 2d games. The interlacing issue got blown out of proportion. I was playing Narikiri Dungeon X demo this afternoon on my 3000 and the 2d sprites looked fantastic.

Tabris

Wait, I've read conflicting reports in this thread:

ORIGINAL OR REMAKE/PORT?

If it's because you would rather have it on DS, then WTH? If it's because you rather have it on a "HD console" with 1080p high-res sprite art then I fully support what you said.

Sipowicz said:
no because the PSP like the Wii, DS, PS3 and 360 is a current gen system

if you give a shit about rpgs (or even just valkyri chronicles) you should own a PSP already

You clearly dont understand what he is trying to say my good man.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
John Harker said:

Final Fantasy Tactics is an inferior version of Tactics Ogre.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Grimmy said:
:rolleyes:

At this point, if you like SRPGS and you don't have a PSP, you're the problem, not the PSP
If you like good JRPGs. There is no reason not to own a DS and PSP. And let me just say, with suspend mode on Handhelds. I don't see why you would want to go back to many of the console ones.

Tabris

B.K. said:
Remake written by Matsuno.

Meh. I have the game on PSOne and the PSP won't bring anything amazing to this remake unless they add a lot of new scenarios/story/cutscenes. So I've lost interest.

johnsmith

remember me
Lafiel said:
Yeah, i can't really imagine a game like this on consoles. And i vastly prefer playing it on a handheld over a console.

The original was on a home console. Ogre Battle and Final Fantasy Tactics were on a home console.

I have a PSP, I have every system. I will buy this game. I'm a huge Matsuno fan. But I don't live in a major metropolitan city. I don't ride public transportation. I'm not in college anymore. I play games at home on my couch. So now I have to stare at a tiny screen instead of my nice big flatscreen.

If Sony hadn't fucked up the TV output on the PSP things would be fine and dandy. But they did, and I'm pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom