• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ has pre-order bonuses (with screenshots)

Outfits look stupid. I already have the game pre-orded. Maybe I can save the code and sell it for a high price! People do that right?

Wish they were Code Geass Outfits.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I got one for preordering the Japanese version for free.

Here's a sample of it (one of maybe ~10 different pictures? One for each playable character, a group shot of the girls like below, the guys, and a background image. I forget if there was one of all of the playable characters or not), I took this picture a while back:
http://i.imgur.com/PKj1W.jpg[/IG]

Of course, they could be giving out a completely different theme, but I'm assuming it's going to be this one.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's probably going to be the same thing. The Xillia theme is similar too (one background for every character, girls, guys, background image, and everyone).

[quote][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ceHtq.jpg
Gub6D.jpg

1rV81.jpg

Misterhbk

I can't wait for this game. Picking up Tales of the Abyss next week for 3DS and then picking this up when it releases in about a month.

Keep giving me Tales of Games Namco and I'll keep buying them. Even your crazy costume DLC.

For those of you with the Amazon preorders and really want the DLC, there's nothing stopping you from preordering at Gamestop then immediately returning the game once you have the code.

Xillia is the game that I really want, but I guess I'll give this one a chance...

Looking forward for that one as well. I was reading some import impressions though that were claiming the game is light on towns somewhat a la FFXIII. One even claimed that if you rush through everything, the game can be beaten in 5 hours.

Hope to god they're inaccurate and exaggerating.

Anyone have experience with buying from GS's online store with pre-order bonuses? I have no desire to deal with GS retail again and I've never bought anything from their online before.

Might as well get the pre-order for the costumes since I didn't catch the Amazon price bungle.
yes, I'm jelly.

exhume

Graces is the better game, though.

Depends what you want out of a game, though, right? I've heard bad things about Graces' story and characters.

The character designs in Graces are intensely offputting to me, but I think I'll give it a shot anyway, it'll be my first Tales game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Depends what you want out of a game, though, right? I've heard bad things about Graces' story and characters.

The character designs in Graces are intensely offputting to me, but I think I'll give it a shot anyway, it'll be my first Tales game.
Eh, I generally don't play Tales games for the narrative. I usually play them for the systems, and Graces' systems work extraordinarily well together, contrasting with Xillia's systems which feel quite disjointed in comparison. Balancing in Graces is awesome too.

Asbel's disco pants weren't awesome to me at first, but I got used to it. I ended up sticking him in Yuri's costume for a while, though.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Should I get this? I haven't really enjoyed a Tales since Phantasia and Destiny. Xillia looks great, but I really didn't like Symphonia at all, and Vesperia was okay but bored me. Graces looks a lot like it.

Verelios

This is why I like Tales games. The DLC is almost always something I couldn't care less about.

Also, Graces really does seem like the superior game, although I like the characters in Xillia better. If I just go by character design. And amount of moon rune...

I really want another Tales, but christ, the "friendship" trailer and the overall style of this game make me cringe. Dial it down a notch :/ Will probably still buy it, but man...........

exhume

Eh, I generally don't play Tales games for the narrative. I usually play them for the systems, and Graces' systems work extraordinarily well together, contrasting with Xillia's systems which feel quite disjointed in comparison. Balancing in Graces is awesome too.

Asbel's disco pants weren't awesome to me at first, but I got used to it. I ended up sticking him in Yuri's costume for a while, though.

Yeah, so Graces would be the ideal game for you. Whereas I'm willing to put up with almost any terrible mechanics if the cast or the artwork are to my taste.
I loved the first Magna Carta game

So can you swap outfits around without buying DLC, then?

I really want another Tales, but christ, the "friendship" trailer and the overall style of this game make me cringe. Dial it down a notch :/ Will probably still buy it, but man...........

From what I've heard, that's just a flashback at the beginning of the game, showing the cast as kids. Hopefully the cheese will be toned down when the characters are their older, default ages. I don't think we should be too worried. (I hope.) Symphonia and Vesperia weren't so bad right?

RPGCrazied

I doubt those costumes they are giving away for preorders aren't in the game at all. Like in Vesperia you would get every single costume in game that was sold as DLC. So, it is a nice freebie.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yeah, so Graces would be the ideal game for you. Whereas I'm willing to put up with almost any terrible mechanics if the cast or the artwork are to my taste.
I loved the first Magna Carta game

So can you swap outfits around without buying DLC, then?

Maybe I'm mistaken then? I thought Graces battles looked more bland compared to Xillia. Need to watch more footage, I guess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I doubt those costumes they are giving away for preorders aren't in the game at all. Like in Vesperia you would get every single costume in game that was sold as DLC. So, it is a nice freebie.
These costumes are not in the game at all.

The costumes in Tales of Graces f are:
-Formal
-Swimsuit
-Two characters have future arc costumes.

Extras:
-Asbel: Yuri Lowell (Carta Card prize)
-Cheria: Rita Mordio (Carta Card prize)
-Sophie: Patty Fleur (Carta Card prize)

The rest are DLC.

Do note that there are also accessories that you can put on your characters like watermelons or glasses. It's like FFXIII-2's monster attachments. Xillia has these as well.

Now if the localization team decided to keep Carta Card in (this is a card game where you collect cards on the field, give them to a dude who lets you play the minigame, which is basically you recognizing what the Tales Series character on the card says. It isn't too hard, and the quotes are written on the card description anyway, so I don't see why they'd exclude it), then you'll have access to the Tales of Vesperia costumes for Asbel, Sophie, and Cheria.

Mind you, in Xillia, you have to pay for the swimsuits now.

From what I've heard, that's just a flashback at the beginning of the game, showing the cast as kids. Hopefully the cheese will be toned down when the characters are their older, default ages. I don't think we should be too worried. (I hope.) Symphonia and Vesperia weren't so bad right?
Oh gosh. I really wonder how people and reviewers will respond to the beginning of the game... D:

Should I get this? I haven't really enjoyed a Tales since Phantasia and Destiny. Xillia looks great, but I really didn't like Symphonia at all, and Vesperia was okay but bored me. Graces looks a lot like it.
It doesn't sound like Tales is really for you if Vesperia bored you. Unless you were bored by the narrative? Graces' narrative is a step down from Vesperia's, but I liked the Graces characters enough.

Edit: Ohhhhhhhh, you're talking about the battles? Team Destiny (they've been called 'Team Destiny' since ToD2) battle systems are more fun than Team Symphonia battle systems, imo. I've already gushed about the systems a lot in other Graces threads, and a few of us almost came to blows over comparisons between Graces' and Xillia's battle systems, lol.

But basically, Graces' systems are more fluid due to the Arles Pot, around-step, penalizing the player for free running, CC, and the style-shifting. There's a lot more, but I've posted lots of info in other threads. So has Aeana, whose posts about Graces are better-articulated than mine.

Aexact

I think you're thinking of level up bonuses, crafting materials, and gald/gel sets that Vesperia sold as DLC. Vesperia did eventually get DLC costumes that weren't unlockable through the normal game.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh gosh. I really wonder how people and reviewers will respond to the beginning of the game... D:

You're worried about the beginning? Gosh, I'm worried about the middle where it's stupid MAMORU crazy. Ugh... At least the ending was better despite it being totally cliche/generic. Ugh.

Syril

Yeah, I saw a plot description somewhere, and it was making it out to be a coming-of-age story about the main character learning to take on the responsibilities of being a feudal lord in the face of his childhood friendships deteriorating, and that actually sounded pretty interesting; political responsibility isn't a theme I've really seen come up in RPGs short of Suikoden. But from the look of that trailer, it seems to be less that and more friendship-is-the-best-thing-ever, which I'm kinda sick of after playing four Kingdom Hearts games.

You're worried about the beginning? Gosh, I'm worried about the middle where it's stupid MAMORU crazy. Ugh... At least the ending was better despite it being totally cliche/generic. Ugh.

8-4 are good translators, and that word has multiple viable translations for all the contexts things like to use it in, so I'm fairly confident they'll take advantage of that.

Aeana

In general, Namco gives 8-4 a lot of freedom with Tales translations, so I'm actually confident that they made it a little bit more bearable.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
In general, Namco gives 8-4 a lot of freedom with Tales translations, so I'm actually confident that they made it a little bit more bearable.

You mean bearable to the JRPG fans, right? Cuz that's completely different from the people reviewing this kind of stuff.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It doesn't sound like Tales is really for you if Vesperia bored you. Unless you were bored by the narrative? Graces' narrative is a step down from Vesperia's, but I liked the Graces characters enough.

Edit: Ohhhhhhhh, you're talking about the battles? Team Destiny (they've been called 'Team Destiny' since ToD2) battle systems are more fun than Team Symphonia battle systems, imo. I've already gushed about the systems a lot in other Graces threads, and a few of us almost came to blows over comparisons between Graces' and Xillia's battle systems, lol.

But basically, Graces' systems are more fluid due to the Arles Pot, around-step, penalizing the player for free running, CC, and the style-shifting. There's a lot more, but I've posted lots of info in other threads. So has Aeana, whose posts about Graces are better-articulated than mine.

I'll try it out anyway. Also a shallow thing but I also disliked the character design and towns. Destiny forever ;_;

Honestly it might just be aesthetic things that bug me. I did like the battles in Vesperia as well, so it's not that I guess. I can't really pinpoint what I disliked about it, so it might just be some surface issues.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, considering the majority of reviewers and some players don't seem to like
playing as children in JRPGs
, that's why I'm more worried about that part than the middle, lol.

As for "守る守る守る守る守る守る守る!!!", I'm hoping 8-4 tones that down a little, but since that's the game's theme, it's not going to go away.

PKrockin

Never fails. I just preordered this game on Amazon earlier today.

Not that I'm interested in either bonus, but hey.

The completionist in me needs these preorder bonuses. *Sigh* Guess I'll keep "gaming" Gamestop's system.

1) buy ME3 SE for exclusive DLC & redeem
2) return ME3 for store credit next day
3) reserve ToG F
4) pick up ToG F and redeem DLC
5) return ToG F for store credit next day
6) end cycle with Kid Icarus reserve and PSN card

To top all of that off, I too have a $40 order with Amazon.

I'd rather have a new hairdo for Sophie :p Have my copy preordered for months, dunno if I'll be using this though, those outfits are pretty lame and don't mesh with the rest of the game's art direction from the looks of them.

Did Judas ever think he was fooling anyone with that mask?

It looks like a jockstrap.

Asbel's Saturday Night FEVAH duds I always thought was cool. Goes well with his badass fighting style to me for some reason.

Hopefully they confirm geass costumes. Ill probably buy whatever comes to PSN, these costumes of a tales game I never played arent really enough to ignore the 20$ off on amzn pricing.

zroid

Banned
Tempted to EBGames this for the freebies but I've got $45 in Best Buy coupons and this is as good a game as any to blow them on.

zohar

Neo Member
Is there any way to check if your Amazon preorder has the $20 promo? I, apparently, have it preordered but I have no recollection of a $20 promo at the time of ordering. And of course, there's no promo listed on the item right now..

Is there any way to check if your Amazon preorder has the $20 promo? I, apparently, have it preordered but I have no recollection of a $20 promo at the time of ordering. And of course, there's no promo listed on the item right now..
There was never a promo, it was a price error.

If you go to your open orders, it'll show the price they have set for you.

Karuto

I do. :-/

I love Tales of Destiny 2....

Anyway, really excited for Tales of Graces f. Got to try out that English patch someone released for the demo a while back and it looked amazing. Hoping Namco announces Tales of Xillia for America soon.

Aeana

I do. :-/

I love Tales of Destiny 2....

Anyway, really excited for Tales of Graces f. Got to try out that English patch someone released for the demo a while back and it looked amazing. Hoping Namco announces Tales of Xillia for America soon.

Just to be sure, you know I'm talking about the Tales of Destiny 2 on PS2 (i.e. the real one) and not Tales of Eternia which was renamed to Tales of Destiny 2, on PSX, yes?

Karuto

Just to be sure, you know I'm talking about the Tales of Destiny 2 on PS2 (i.e. the real one) and not Tales of Eternia which was renamed to Tales of Destiny 2, on PSX, yes?

Well, I've played and beaten both, so.... yeah? xD

Top Bottom