• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ has pre-order bonuses (with screenshots)

RPGCrazied

rpgfan.com says Namco won't be selling these costumes once the game hits retail. Either you preorder to get them or your SOL. Just a heads up.

I got one for preordering the Japanese version for free.

Here's a sample of it (one of maybe ~10 different pictures? One for each playable character, a group shot of the girls like below, the guys, and a background image. I forget if there was one of all of the playable characters or not), I took this picture a while back:
PKj1W.jpg

Of course, they could be giving out a completely different theme, but I'm assuming it's going to be this one.

Why don't they ever take into account the readability of text when making these themes?

Ties

Banned
Well I can honestly say that the import Graces F was more than worth the $80 I payed for it. Most enjoyable Tales battle system for me. Hoping that the next game uses CC again, I simply can't go back to TP after experiencing how fast paced and hectic a CC based battle system is.

Don't write it off just because it's a Wii port. :p

Ties

Banned
The battle effects are real flashy as well, it's not as offensive visually as people make it out to be.

Aww man Tales of Destiny 2J? I was getting ready to do a backflip in my room to se a Reid and Farah costume and then I saw the Kyle costume.

:|

I'll just wait for this drop in price.

RPGCrazied

Not that I like costume DLC, but I hope they sell the Haseo outfit for Asbel.

0015_thumb.jpg

I'd probably pay $5 just for that one. @_@ But I love .hack!

Bladenic

Can't wait for this game. Since I haven't pre-ordered or anything guess I'll go ahead and get the costumes even though Asbel and Sophie look pretty bad in those costumes. Richard looks alright though, and at least you get extra music tracks in battle.

Maybe I can try to swindle a DLC code from one of the dozen GameStops that are near me.

I mean, the costumes aren't that great (even though I love the ToD/ToD2 cast) but the wallpaper is good. And it's exclusive!

Hayeya

Banned
GAF convince me to get Tales of Grases,

I have never played any Tales game before, but i am curious, i was super excited for Vesperia but since i have a PS3 i will never play it

Generally i love quality JRPG, But is this game any good ?
I love FFs, Suikodens, Star Oceans, Kingdom Hearts,Xenosagas, Valkyrie Profiles, SMT Nocturne & SMT DDS 1&2, will i love it ?

Seda

I have never played any Tales game before, but i am curious, i was super excited for Vesperia but since i have a PS3 i will never play it

I love FFs, Suikodens, Star Oceans, Kingdom Hearts,Xenosagas, Valkyrie Profiles, SMT Nocturne & SMT DDS 1&2, will i love it ?

If you like all those other JRPGs, theres a good chance you'd like Tales of. I really like the battle system, and abundance of sidequests. Stories are hit or miss for me. One thing I've never really liked about Tales games is that they usually have tons of missable quests and other things and there hasn't been a good villain in a Tales game in quite some time.

The battle system is most similar to Star Ocean. Four characters (all can be player controlled) attacking, yelling their move names, lots of flashy skill effects. Each Tales game has some different mechanics when it comes to how skills are learned and other battle mechanics.

Hayeya

Banned
If you like all those other JRPGs, theres a good chance you'd like Tales of. I really like the battle system, and abundance of sidequests. Stories are hit or miss for me. One thing I've never really liked about Tales games is that they usually have tons of missable quests and other things and there hasn't been a good villain in a Tales game in quite some time.

The battle system is most similar to Star Ocean. Four characters (all can be player controlled) attacking, yelling their move names, lots of flashy skill effects. Each Tales game has some different mechanics when it comes to how skills are learned and other battle mechanics.

So it is a Star Ocean made by Namco,

What about the story ? i like to be attached to the story and characters, moreover is graces a simple port (graphics wise) or did they enhance the characters and backgrounds ?

Seda

So it is a Star Ocean made by Namco,

What about the story ? i like to be attached to the story and characters, moreover is graces a simple port (graphics wise) or did they enhance the characters and backgrounds ?

Well, every Tales game is different in those regards. If you were to ask GAF which Tales games are good and which are bad, you'd get mixed answers all over the place. I think Tales usually does a decent job with characters development and incorporation into the plot, but again, if you were to ask GAF which characters are good or not, you'd get a mixed bag. For example, many people didn't like the character Karol in Vesperia, but the way that he matured over the game really stood out for me. I also think that recent Tales localizations have been good.

I've never played Graces (eagerly awaiting, though), but the PS3 version has some sort of "afterplot" succeeding the main game that is on the order on 20 hours or something. I think a general consensus is that Graces plot is not as good as Vesperia or other titles, but the battle system is praised a bit. Obviously since I haven't played it, those are just what I've seen people say about the game.

Now look into my eyes and repeat after me....

Buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it..... <(@.@)<

Jokes aside, as others already said, if you like all those games there's good chances that you'll like this too. If you want to you can try the other entries in the series. Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2 in the US) are the only games localized for Ps1 and as such playable by a US Ps3, if you have a Ps2 you could also get Tales of Legendia or Tales of the Abyss (my personal favorite of the series) which also has just been released for 3DS. If you live in the Pal regions... things get a lot worse.

I don't know about prices and availabilty for the Ps1 games though...

RPGCrazied

Yes, everyone buy it! If we want a chance at Xillia, this is going to have to sell decent. Not mind blowing numbers mind you, but enough to where they won't kick Tales to the curb in the US again for another few years.

Done!

Hayeya

Banned
Now look into my eyes and repeat after me....

Buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it..... <(@.@)<

Jokes aside, as others already said, if you like all those games there's good chances that you'll like this too. If you want to you can try the other entries in the series. Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2 in the US) are the only games localized for Ps1 and as such playable by a US Ps3, if you have a Ps2 you could also get Tales of Legendia or Tales of the Abyss (my personal favorite of the series) which also has just been released for 3DS. If you live in the Pal regions... things get a lot worse.

I don't know about prices and availabilty for the Ps1 games though...

I.... WILL....... BUY........ IT.
After i finish Demon's souls (at the end) and FFXIII-2 (not played yet) of course ;)

Eusis

It's a cultural thing. The Japanese don't view mid-drift cuts as an exclusively effeminate fashion trend.
Plus he's admittedly better about it than Reid was. Though that also means it's something of an artist quirk.

ALSO: reading up publishers really need to stop this bullshit "pre-order for this DLC OR NEVER GET IT garbage. Not that I really want the costumes and would need to see the theme first, but it's very tiring to see this constantly happening because of GameStop exploiting this.

Maffis

Gonna import this because I reckon an European version will take a year for them to translate into all the extra languages. I don't get that. Just release it with English. It's 2012, they should know be able to speak it. And I'm not talking about the little countries, I mean like Spain, Italy, Germany and France.

Never played a Tales game before. I generally stick to Square's/Nintendo's RPGs, but that trailer from a while back piqued my interest, particularly the parts showcasing the battle system. I can see myself picking this up at launch. I need more PS3 RPGs to play. Though I can't say that I find the art style very intriguing at all. >.>

Proven

Plus he's admittedly better about it than Reid was. Though that also means it's something of an artist quirk.

ALSO: reading up publishers really need to stop this bullshit "pre-order for this DLC OR NEVER GET IT garbage. Not that I really want the costumes and would need to see the theme first, but it's very tiring to see this constantly happening because of GameStop exploiting this.

I can't get too mad about it as it's the only fair way to give people a reason to buy on day one instead of waiting for a price drop. Well, other than not putting it at such a high price in the first place, or not dropping the price ever.

Eusis

I can't get too mad about it as it's the only fair way to give people a reason to buy on day one instead of waiting for a price drop. Well, other than not putting it at such a high price in the first place, or not dropping the price ever.
They could still sell it afterwards, not like I expected it for free. It's a way to get people to get it day one, and at a specific retailer, but for people who want it but not get it ASAP/from GameStop there's another option AND more potential money for them.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a "give us some exclusive DLC or we won't market the game in our stores" thing though. Which... well, if it gets more copies sold IS for the best I guess.

Jubern

Gonna import this because I reckon an European version will take a year for them to translate into all the extra languages. I don't get that. Just release it with English. It's 2012, they should know be able to speak it. And I'm not talking about the little countries, I mean like Spain, Italy, Germany and France.

Yeah, it was really mind-bogging when they said during the last Japan Expo (July 2011) that the game was scheduled for a "Summer 2012" release. One year from then, when it has already been 8 months since Japanese release.

Oh well, at least it's getting translated. Unlike Abyss, which never came out in Europe on PS2 in the first place and had a good opportunity with that 3DS port until they blew it up that way...

Already had this game pre-ordered at Gamestop so I'm good on that ground. Reading over these comments makes me nervous for this games success though :/ Please guys if you like JRPGs support this game so we can continue to get more English Tales of titles!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Seems like ToGƒ is getting "actual advertisements":

http://www.ebgames.ca/

It's in the main banner slide thing.

matmanx1

With Abyss 3DS launching tomorrow in the US and Graces hitting next month I'm going to be a very happy (and busy) gamer for the next couple of months. I'm just happy we're getting both of those games localized in the US and hope Namco brings over Xillia and any other Tales games that they would like to localize. I would even take the new ToI R for Vita!

Proven

They could still sell it afterwards, not like I expected it for free. It's a way to get people to get it day one, and at a specific retailer, but for people who want it but not get it ASAP/from GameStop there's another option AND more potential money for them.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a "give us some exclusive DLC or we won't market the game in our stores" thing though. Which... well, if it gets more copies sold IS for the best I guess.

If they sell it afterward then the next thing that happens afterward is Catwoman DLC.

My only beef with this is, as you also said, having it at one retailer. But having extra value for paying $60 for it that isn't so big that I feel I have to run out and buy it right away is probably the best way to do it. Tying it to pre-orders is another nitpick for me, but I usually assume that I'm spoiled by Atlus.

Top Bottom