• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino on Weinstein: "I knew enough to do more than I did."

Tarantino continues to be a piece of shit human being.

His entire reason for staying quiet boils down to wanting to be rich and famous, no matter how many people Weinstein hurt.

Honestly, if the decision was between having a career in film-making in exchange for looking the other way on certain things, how many of us would do the same?

Gutted doesn't even begin to describe this. Like I knew deep down this would have been the case but I think I was naively hoping he would have been oblivious to it all.

Fucking burn Hollywood to the ground.

One voice spoke up, then another voice, and then more voices spoke up. And look at that, now the Weinstein asshole is out of the business.

That's how ya do it. There needs to be a domino effect to make things happen.

Good for him coming out and saying what he is saying, but it is also terrible he wouldn't speak up sooner about what he knew.

Alienfan

It seems like everyone in Hollywood from Jennifer Lawrence to Seth Macfarlane knew about this. No one did anything about it, they didn't have to speak publicly (and it's understandable you wouldn't), but those that continued to work with him after the fact shouldn't have. As far as apologies go, this is one of the better ones (still doesn't undo the damage, but it's a start)

Sucks he didn't do anything but I can appreciate his blunt honesty here. It's one of those things that he unfortunately didn't consider much at the time but now in hindsight realizes how stupid it looks on him. Nothing else he can do but own the issue and move on I guess.

Kusagari

Let's be real. Basically every major figure in Hollywood knew on some level and none of them did shit.

At least Tarantino owns it unlike a lot of the other guys we've heard from.

black_13

Banned
Honestly, if the decision was between having a career in film-making in exchange for looking the other way on certain things, how many of us would do the same?

Exactly. Many things are easier said than done. Many here acting all high and mighty but I doubt these people would be willing to risk their careers to expose their boss for some wrong doing.

tbm24

Tarantino continues to be a piece of shit human being.

His entire reason for staying quiet boils down to wanting to be rich and famous, no matter how many people Weinstein hurt.
That’s the Hollywood dream as it were. Everyone who enabled it is guilty of thinking of their bottom line first, at least acknowledge it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is actually a better, more honest response than I expected out of Tarantino. Thought he would completely deflect instead of accepting some level of responsibility for enabling it.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Not to excuse Tarantino, but staying quiet on harassment to keep your job seems to be a requirement in Hollywood.
There’s staying quiet and then there’s continuing to work with and praise someone you know is bad.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The sad thing is that Tarantino and many others know of other people like Weinstein, but they probably won't say anything about those people until victims start coming forward.

CookTrain

Not to harp on a theme, but seriously... this situation doesn't start and stop with Weinstein. There are no doubt countless more in the industry that tread a very similar path.

It's one thing to be oh so regretful because woe, he didn't act when he should. Bollocks. Start naming names on the rest of the bastards in Hollywood if you really want to make any kind of amends.

Seesaw15

At this point is seems like 90% of Hollywood was either sexually assaulted or knew some foul shit was going down. Nobody said anything for decades because they liked their careers.

Scuffed

Come on Tarantino had clout after Pulp Fiction he could have worked with anyone for the entirety of his career instead he chose Harvey for almost all of his movies! Did he really need Weinstein for Hateful Eight? There comes a point where it wasn't about "survival" and more about making stacks.

This is actually a better, more honest response than I expected out of Tarantino. Thought he would completely deflect instead of accepting some level of responsibility for enabling it.

This is a sad low bar, but I’m forced to agree. He could have said nothing. Gotta start somewhere I suppose.

At this point is seems like 90% of Hollywood was either sexually assaulted or knew some foul shit was going down. Nobody said anything for decades because they liked their careers.

People are constantly putting up with shit everywhere to get ahead. Or if it doesn't affect them personally let it slide.

stephen08

Tbf sounds like every American movie made during the years Weinstein's veen working will give you the same problem. Everyone knew. Everyone was complicit.
True but he was always my favourite so it cuts deeper there. I’ve probably seen each of his movies like 4 times minimum.

Jigorath

Banned
Well, at least he's honest about it.

Meanwhile everyone else in Hollywood Is going "Oh wow, I had no idea! What awful news. I am truly stunned and dismayed."

Wood Man

Tarantino and people like him are a big reason why Weinstein got away with what he was doing. Nobody had the balls to rattle cage and lose out on making money.

He knows he fucked up and that's a start. But it's a shame he practically had to be backed into a corner to own up.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
After reading Cross' bullshit excuse earlier where he acted like the victim for past racist statements, I'm happy to see Tarantino acknowledge his failure to act. It doesn't justify said failure, but at least he's owning up to his actions & identifying them as wrong.

As many have said here, though, just because this is better than what we've been seeing doesn't mean the issue's resolved. He would probably have never spoken up if Weinstein was never exposed. But he's not doubling down, feigning innocence, or staying silent. He could potentially grow from here.... or he could be trying to save his brand.

EDIT: Forgot to acknowledge his own partner being a victim. There's no way around that being shitty, which is why I have my doubts.

If he commented on Mira being a victim that's taking her agency away from her and making her pain about him. It's the right thing to do to let Mira make her own statement how she wishes.

tbm24

Come on Tarantino had clout after Pulp Fiction he could have worked with anyone for the entirety of his career instead he chose Harvey for almost all of his movies! Did he really need Weinstein for Hateful Eight? There comes a point where it wasn't about "survival" and more about making stacks.
I don’t think surviving in the industry enough to make those stacks are unrelated. It seems like once you make a film with that studio, Weinstein has you by the proverbial balls. Same is probably true for other studios.

I don’t think surviving in the industry enough to make those stakes are unrelated. It seems like once you make a film with that studio, Weinstein has you by the proverbial balls. Same is probably true for other studios.

Tarantino could get a deal with literally any studio after Pulp Fiction (and still could). He knew what Weinstein was doing and stuck by his side anyway.

Scuffed

I don’t think surviving in the industry enough to make those stakes are unrelated. It seems like once you make a film with that studio, Weinstein has you by the proverbial balls. Same is probably true for other studios.

I don't think that is the case at all.

Disappointing but I can’t kill Tarantino for it. Would I risk my whole career to take down someone in a position of extreme power? I’d like to think I would but I don’t know if I’d have the courage to go though with it.

The Ummah

Banned
Oh Quentin, you know better and you damn sure knew better. Good job normalizing and enabling his behavior by not saying a damn thing. Asshat.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Tarantino could get a deal with literally any studio after Pulp Fiction (and still could). He knew what Weinstein was doing and stuck by his side anyway.
I don’t think so. Tarantino had clout after Pulp Fiction and easily could’ve gone elsewhere.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is a sad low bar, but I’m forced to agree. He could have said nothing. Gotta start somewhere I suppose.
Oh yeah. I had insanely low expectations of what he was (or wasn’t) going to say. I figured he would say something much more fucked up than this if he said anything at all.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Him and everyone in Hollywood, at least he's admitting that he knew and either not pretending to have known or just not saying anything.

Sigh. Burn it all.

Why do people keep saying this? Burn what exactly? The world? Hollywood?

It will do nothing and we'll sit here thinking that industry is the problem.

I'm sorry but I've experienced enough casual indifference to suffering over the years that I don't think for one fucking second that it's one specific group. People are not inherently good. But humanity does have an inherent darkness (Jung called it the shadow self) within it that arises from the juxtaposition of higher intelligence and the animal.

Scuffed

I don’t think so. Tarantino had clout after Pulp Fiction and easily could’ve gone elsewhere.

Even if back then he still didn't know or have the clout he sure as hell did by Hateful Eight anyone saying he still really needed Harvey for a movie a couple a years ago or his career was over is being silly imo.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The NYT interview is..wow. He doesn't hold back

There were rumors too, shadowy accounts that Mr. Tarantino continued to hear second- or thirdhand and never pursued further. Now Mr. Tarantino said he regretted not taking the women’s stories seriously enough. “I chalked it up to a ’50s-’60s era image of a boss chasing a secretary around the desk,” he said. “As if that’s O.K. That’s the egg on my face right now.”

In the interview, Mr. Tarantino issued several calls to action. In its treatment of women, Hollywood has been “operating under an almost Jim Crow-like system that us males have almost tolerated,” he said. “We allowed it to exist because that’s the way it was.”

On the discussion of who knew what about Mr. Weinstein and when, he said: “I’m calling on the other guys who knew more to not be scared. Don’t just give out statements. Acknowledge that there was something rotten in Denmark. Vow to do better by our sisters.”

He added, “What was previously accepted is now untenable to anyone of a certain consciousness.”

About Mira Sorvino

When he and Ms. Sorvino started dating in 1995, she told him that not long before, Mr. Weinstein had massaged her without asking, chased her around a hotel room and even showed up at her apartment in the middle of the night, a story she recently shared with The New Yorker.

“I was shocked and appalled” back then, Mr. Tarantino said. “I couldn’t believe he would do that so openly. I was like: ‘Really? Really?’ But the thing I thought then, at the time, was that he was particularly hung up on Mira.” She had won accolades for her performance in “Mighty Aphrodite,” and “I thought Harvey was hung up on her in this Svengali kind of way,” Mr. Tarantino said. “Because he was infatuated with her, he horribly crossed the line.”

The problem was resolved, he said he felt at the time, because he and Ms. Sorvino were dating. “I’m with her, he knows that, he won’t mess with her, he knows that she’s my girlfriend,” Mr. Tarantino said, describing his attitude back then.

Over the years, he learned of other accounts. Another actress friend told him a troubling story of unwanted advances by Mr. Weinstein in a hotel room. Mr. Tarantino confronted Mr. Weinstein, who offered the woman what the director described as a weak apology. (She confirmed the account to The Times but declined to be identified.)

Disappointing but I can’t kill Tarantino for it. Would I risk my whole career to take down someone in a position of extreme power? I’d like to think I would but I don’t know if I’d have the courage to go though with it.
Risk your career and not even bring the dude down.

It would have been foolish. It’s only working ow because the times have changed and actual journalism happened.

tbm24

I don't think that is the case at all.
That’s how I interpreted reading about his victims who some mentioned how Weinstein would bury them with his clout and legal team. Just seems fear of these people for one reason or another played a significant part in everyone letting shit slide.

I don't know what I would have done. It seems like a dream come true for these people. I imagine it's really hard to put that at risk. Imagine the women. They are the ones that actually got abused and they stayed silent so they could continue their amazing careers in Tinseltown.

Top Bottom