• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target put up a page for Bethesda: Game of Thrones

Assuming it's real, who do you think is making this?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I basically want someone to take this:

a-song-of-ice-and-fire-rpg-a-game-of-thrones-edition-b007ziqz8g-1.jpg

and make a video game out of it.

Buuuut nobody's probably ever doing that, so...maybe this will be close? Ish?

Kinda sorta?

See, they'd probably be closer.

If you're expecting actual role playing from a modern BGS title, you're going to have a bad time (unless they've dramatically changed since Fallout 4). Expect more "streamlined" mechanics too.

The things that are good about the book series are the politics, machinations, characters and plot twists. Who knows what this game is but I can't imagine exploring Westeros really gets at anything I like about the series. Mundane and misery is different when you're the one trudging around. You shouldn't be finding treasure and tombs.

Join and become lord of every house at the same time.
Walk from Dorne to the Wall in an hour.
King's Landing consists of ten buildings.
All wolves become Direwolves when you reach level 10.

You are a targaryanborn and you have targaryan shouts too
Become Azor Ahai at level 20
procedurally generated cities (Starfield tech) and each cell is like 5 buildings so you go through 10 load screens to get from one side to the other
no spears and no ladders
copypaste the dragon models/animations from skyrim
the gimmick this time is instead of fighting dragons you can use a gimmicky buggy system of ordering your dragons to attack enemies and that is the beginning and end of the entire system. You just point somewhere and the dragon will try to attack enemies there (only works on flat terrain or else the dragon will clip through trees and mountains)

I am interested in what big studio people think would do the series justice since everyone is shitting on Bethesda?
Activision
Ubisoft
Electronic Arts
Microsoft
Sony
Warner Brothers
CD project red would take years, its taking them years just to get a card game out.

Bethesda to me has been knocking it out of the park the last few years with Doom, Dishonoured, Evil Within, elder scrolls online, Wofenstein and yes Fallout 4 was fine IMO. I think they are a fine choice for it.
Throw it to Bandai Namco, produce a 3D fighting game.

Trying to capture that world in an RPG is a fool's errand. Give me a Soul Cailber-esque fighting game where The Hound can decapitate the Night King, and I'll happily hand over my cash. As will millions of fans.

Velcro Fly

I feel like I would want a Musou game much more. Let me be Jaime Lannister or Robert Baratheon or even start out as some unknown sellsword and let me slaughter hordes of baddies pledged to other houses as I level up, form alliances, farm out my services, and prepare to battle for the Iron Throne and decide the fate of Westeros. Skyrim: Westeros doesn't seem fun to me.

adj_noun

The things that are good about the book series are the politics, machinations, characters and plot twists.

Yeah. I'm the kind of dude who, if they had their druthers, would play the whole damn thing as a palace intrigue simulator.

I'd want to roll a Littlefinger/Varys type schemer, but...I ain't exactly getting my hopes up.

Well, maybe a little.

A smidge.

I've been disappointed before, I can take it.

Hazu

I just don't want them to try to make it a "big AAA title". Just make something fun like LotR on PS2, but with the GoT universe.

514FZMPR0XL._SY445_.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cannot imagine Bethesda's core RPG team being put on Game of Thrones no matter what money is on the table, not with the success of TES. I figure ZeniMax would be more interested in seeing TES continue sooner rather than later than throw development resource at a franchised property, especially considering royalties going elsewhere.

Bethesda published game seems a lot more believable.

Sounds fake as a whole, though. I don't know. Then again, it probably wouldn't be the silliest idea to have a significant, accessible TES-like game released in the Game of Thrones universe either in between Season 7 and 8, or just as the series ends, to cash in on that finality hype.

What's the grapevine saying about this one?

BTA

If it is developed and not just published (it's probably just published), I have no idea what you could do to make that interesting. If you're anything other than a regular human who can hand to hand fight you're immediately messing with the lore/setting in a way that complicates any interaction with your character beyond what they're probably ready to deal with in a satisfying way.

This was a rumor?

Must have missed that one.

Too lazy to look it up but to summarize:

Game of Thrones game in 2018 or 2020 (get this and the next game mixed up).
Starfield (a newish IP but takes place in the same universe as Fallout and Elder Scrolls) in 2018 or 2020.
Elder Scrolls 6 in 2023.
Fallout 5 in 2026.
Elder Scrolls 7 in 2030 and being called Todd Howard's "magnum opus" that basically combines all of the previous Elder Scrolls games into one obscenely big open world.

if this is real, it'll definitely be the main studio. we know they're working on something new and big before Elder Scrolls VI (2 projects to be precise) and I just can't see them giving a game like this to any of their other studios (we know Machine/Tango/id etc are busy with their projects, Arkane have been busy with Prey/Dishonored, and the others I'm not sure are major enough to take on a project like this), and they haven't used eternal devs since early 2011 (circa Brink)

Severance

I feel Bethesda getting a lot of flack in here, but I can't imagine anyone else doing it much better than them. Yes, there are developers who are better at storytelling. However, if there's one thing this generation has taught us, it's that great storytelling is very difficult to do in an open world game. Game of Thrones would have to be an open world game for sure. I think CDPR with The Witcher 3 is one of the very few to succeed. MGS:V and FFXV on the other hand, were extremely flawed and proved how difficult it truly is. One thing I think Bethesda does well is world building and telling side stories within that world. That is something you would need to do well in Game of Thrones. I hope it's true and they take it on, not just publish it. Count me in

Nah, I don't believe it. Starfield is coming out next year. Elder Scrolls is fantasy. It just doesn't make much sense.

Possibly a published game. I can believe that.

TheXbox

Must be set in the age of heroes. There's no room for power-fantasy-polymath Bethesda avatars during the events of the books/show.

They won't do it because the show's iconography is so powerful (Iron Throne, the Wall, etc), but they should do it.

Stiler

Obsidian, Bioware, or CD Projekt Red woulda been 10x better suited for this when it comes to writing the characters/storylines and such.

Still hope it turns out well though.

IMO the main Bethesda studio is working on their new IP (Project Starfield).

Hydrus

I'm freaking ready!! Everyone can hate all they want, it's still gonna kickass. Maybe this is one of the projects that Martin said he's working on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom