• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom coming to North America

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSGames said:
Uhh Soul Calibur IV and Dead or Alive 4 both sold extremely well and with Tekken 6 on the way that trend is set to continue.
Are you talking worldwide or just US because neither of those games approached SFIV sales and I don't expect Tekken to either. SCIV's first month in the US was below 400,000 combined between the two systems it was released on. That's really not even the point anyway. The point I was making is that for whatever reason SFIV hit and hit big and when TvC doesn't reached those same heights salewise that shouldn't be an indictment of the system it's released on just as we didn't blame the 360 and PS3 for the fighting games that didn't do so hot when they were released.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I AM JOHN! said:
So wait, is this official or is this Nintendo Power rumor-mongering? And what about the new features? I love the game, but I'm not sure that I love it enough to pay for a second copy on top of the $75 I paid for the first one.

Nintendo Power doesn't really rumor monger. Not USA Nintendo power anyway.

-PXG-

Ookami-kun said:
It'd be really disappointing if this game doesn't sell well... :(

95% of sales of this game will be people from GAF or SRK. But who cares, this game will be awesome.

Hiltz

I think it is foolish to compare the likes of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom to a franchise with brand power and popularity like with Street Fighter, Tekken and Soul Calibur or Smash Bros. Tatsunoko isn't aiming for mainstream appeal so its not like its going to reach the 400k and above mark. Besides, the budget for the game seems to be much lower than that of games like SF4.

Quite frankly, the only two fighting franchises I give a damn about right now are Smash Bros. and anything that plays similarly to Marvel vs. Capcom. I used to be a big Mortal Kombat fan back when it was 2D and still like Killer Instinct. I got bored of Soul Calibur after the orignial and sequel were released. Street Fighter and Tekken just never clicked with me.

The thing is, and I say this as someone who loves TvC and thinks it was worth the $80+ I spent on it, TvC has a lot of things going against it. 40% of the roster is unrecognizable to people in the States and the game is incredibly simplified even by Capcom Vs. standards. There is no way this game is going to succeed when it lacks both the brand recognition and the gameplay of its forefathers.

TreIII

Flying_Phoenix said:
I predict 30k opening for NPD (if it has an early/close to mid month) and 55 - 70k LTD.

Again, it has to be said that the game is low-budget. It wouldn't necessarily need to be a 100,000+ shipped units to be a "success".

If I remember correctly, they only shipped about 30,000 units of the game in Japan, and in its first week, sold about 27,000 units. All things considered, that's more in the realm of "GOOD", for a game like this.

If TvC can match that (or better!) for its American release, that would only make Capcom happier.

Hiltz

I don't think we should concern ourselves with the potential sales of this game. Its not like Capcom isn't aware of the issues this game is facing in terms of being profitable.

We should just rejoice because of the game's North American release and appreciate Capcom's support for not giving up on the fans outside of Japan.

Tatsunoko is pretty much going down as a cult classic.

Deadly Monk said:
I love Capcom this generation so much. I can't be the only one who thinks they're the best developer this generation.
There are plenty of people who disagree with you. All of them are terrible human beings.

I AM JOHN! said:
The thing is, and I say this as someone who loves TvC and thinks it was worth the $80+ I spent on it, TvC has a lot of things going against it. 40% of the roster is unrecognizable to people in the States and the game is incredibly simplified even by Capcom Vs. standards. There is no way this game is going to succeed when it lacks both the brand recognition and the gameplay of its forefathers.
I agree with you on the brand recognition but I disagree about the gameplay. I've played every "VS" game and I while I thought at first that the three attack button gameplay would be too simplified it really clicks after a while and you barely remember that you're missing attack options. If anything it makes combos flow better since you have only four buttons to worry about.

billy.sea

Banned
Deadly Monk said:
I love Capcom this generation so much. I can't be the only one who thinks they're the best developer this generation.

They are the only Japanese developers this gen that succeed at bringing back the old franchise (Street Fighter IV, Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Vs. Capcom etc), following up on their franchise (Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Monster Hunter etc), and still pushing out cool new franchise (Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Phoenix Wright, Zack & Wiki)

TreIII said:
Again, it has to be said that the game is low-budget. It wouldn't necessarily need to be a 100,000+ shipped units to be a "success".

If I remember correctly, they only shipped about 30,000 units of the game in Japan, and in its first week, sold about 27,000 units. All things considered, that's more in the realm of "GOOD", for a game like this.

If TvC can match that (or better!) for its American release, that would only make Capcom happier.

The sales I listed before are what I expect for this as well as what I'd expect for this game to be "passable" in its given form. I give Capcom a HUGE pat on the back for bringing this game over but quite honestly it'll be lucky to reach Turnabout Trials numbers.

justchris said:
Publisher, Sega is a great Publisher. They're not so hot in the development lately.

Valkyria%20Chronicles.jpg

252px-Yakuza3_boxart.jpg

250px-428cover.jpg

For the love of God SEGA release more of your games outside of Japan!

Pachael

Uh Chunsoft deved 428, Sega published it. Don't confuse Sega as a pub (good) compared to a dev (extremely hit and miss)

Bluth54

rainking187 said:
I was asking about huge sales. Not "huge sales as far as the Wii is concerned". Like in the multiple millions.
700,000 was enough to get THQ to make a sequel. If those numbers are enough for a sequel then obviously you can say it was a success, especially since THQ isn't in a position to greenlight sequels to games that don't do well.

Not every game needs to sell millions of copies to be a success. Obviously de Blog was a very big success for THQ to be getting a sequel.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
MisterHero said:
I wouldn't go that far, but I will be expressing my gratitude by buying this game Day 1. :D

When has Capcom ever sucked? There's been a turd or two every once in a while, but they are one of the few companies who overall have been consistently AWESOME since the 8-bit days.

dacuk

haunts said:
Fuck the Wii, seriously. I mean Ill buy this game but who wants to play fighting games on the Wii? After paying so much for sticks and mods I just want a 360 copy.

Fuck Smash Brothers too..

Keep on crying...

Just do not let your tears wet your copy of SF4

scitek

Bluth54 said:
700,000 was enough to get THQ to make a sequel. If those numbers are enough for a sequel then obviously you can say it was a success, especially since THQ isn't in a position to greenlight sequels to games that don't do well.

Not every game needs to sell millions of copies to be a success. Obviously de Blog was a very big success for THQ to be getting a sequel.

Wasn't the amount that had to be sold for a game to be considered a "Greatest Hit" on the PS2 just 600,000?

Games haven't really ever been expected to sell over a couple hundred thousand copies until this generation. And even then, it's only the really big franchises with those kind of expectations.

I AM JOHN! said:

How much of an issue is the 4-button control scheme? Will it feel like I'm playing Smash Bros.? :lol

xero273

Little Green Yoda said:
How much of an issue is the 4-button control scheme? Will it feel like I'm playing Smash Bros.? :lol

I don't see how the 4 button control scheme can make it feel like playing smash brothers. There are other fighters that also use the four button control scheme. For example, BlazBlue, Arcana Hearts, fate, melty blood, and etc.

For those worried about removed characters. All Tatsunoko characters minus the two Wii exclusives (Ippatsuman & Hakushon Daimao) were pictured (in English) in the screen shots from the NP article. They were all directly mentioned too.

In fact, the entire cast from both sides not including the aforementioned Ippatsuman & Hakushon Daimao and the final boss were talked about. Even the Capcom Wii exclusives, Saki & Viewtiful Joe. This makes me slightly worried about Ippatsuman & Hakushon Daimao. Why were they not mentioned? I hope it was just an oversight because I really want to see the entire cast make it over.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They don't seem to be removing any characters. The only thing they are worried about is whether the minigames would come or not.

And lol stop worrying about the buttons. The numbers do not make a fighting game deep.

M3d10n

Capcom really has no excuse for not adding online this time. They finally seem to have developed a refined netcode for fighters that is cross-platform and game-independent (I mean the latest SSF2HD netcode, which is in the MvC2 re-release), which includes a nice ranking and matchmaking scheme. I doubt they're willing to jump through the hoops for not using friend codes, but there would still be rank-based stranger matchmaking.

I also wonder how they'll market this... I was expecting a more drastic title change, but they retained Tatsunoko, which as a brand is largely unknown in the west. Maybe they're sticking to the name because any alternatives (that I can think of) are as bad or much worse (Anime vs Capcom?).

Ookami-kun said:
They don't seem to be removing any characters. The only thing they are worried about is whether the minigames would come or not.

And lol stop worrying about the buttons. The numbers do not make a fighting game deep.
Ditto, the major 3D fighters use 4 buttons and are incredibly deep.

Meesh

Hiltz said:
I don't think we should concern ourselves with the potential sales of this game. Its not like Capcom isn't aware of the issues this game is facing in terms of being profitable.

We should just rejoice because of the game's North American release and appreciate Capcom's support for not giving up on the fans outside of Japan.

This is the most jizz worthy news since DQX...I can't express how happy I am about this release :)

Part of me thinks it won't matter that the majority of western gamers don't know much about Tatsunoko...I mean really, who cares? It's a new Street Fighter game on Wii for crying out loud...but then there's that whole, how many Wii owners are actually wanting/will buy a new SF...maybe SF VC sales were enough incentive???

If TvC ends up being pretty much ignored, dare I say bomb,(shame on those who don't buy) I'll still enjoy my copy :)

Bluth54

scitek said:
Wasn't the amount that had to be sold for a game to be considered a "Greatest Hit" on the PS2 just 600,000?

Games haven't really ever been expected to sell over a couple hundred thousand copies until this generation. And even then, it's only the really big franchises with those kind of expectations.
I think it might of even been less, there's no way Okami sold 600,000 on the PS2, though maybe Sony lowered their standards towards the end of the generation.

Some people seem to think that every game needs to sell millions of copies to be a success, and while that may be true for really high budget games the vast majority of releases don't need to sell anywhere near that amount to make money.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ookami-kun said:
On a related note, how will they show the Tatsunoko logo in English?

:lol Hire a graphic artist and make an English logo I assume. Maybe they could use their 'Tatsunoko Style' logo. Probably not.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Damn, now this thread makes me want to play 428. I really really don't want to play it in japanese...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom