• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

Proelite

I just bought this TV for my parents. The HDR looked great form the 4k HDR 60fps videos that I tested out on youtube. I am assuming they are actually 10 bit videos?

deal breaker right here for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aat9qoB7yj8&feature=youtu.be

PC games just dont work, they are 30 hz at max and no HDR. I have my PC hooked up to my tv half the time and I watch twitch streams, it completely disabling 60fps entirely is disappointing. Hopefully it'll be patched by christmas if its possible

Nope, its a setting issue. Change from 1.4 to 2.0 and you get 4K 60fps with HDR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKPoCBVN0Uc

Yup. I was messaging with the guy who made that video yesterday to tell him to change the HDMI setting to 2.0. He tried it, said it fixed his issues, and is going to upload another video discussing the fix and showing that games display at 60 fps.

I just bought this TV for my parents. The HDR looked great form the 4k HDR 60fps videos that I tested out on youtube. I am assuming they are actually 10 bit videos?

Where did you buy it from? Best Buy? Amazon?

I really want that nicer wifi-direct remote. How long did it take?

Where did you buy it from? Best Buy? Amazon?

I really want that nicer wifi-direct remote. How long did it take?

For what it's worth, someone on Avsforums said they bought the wifi direct remote from eBay and it worked with the Best Buy model. TCL said a few weeks ago that it wouldn't work, so I'm not sure what to believe at this point.

An extra $50 over a remote... I'm so damn torn over this decision lol. I'm sorta already making out with a killer price on the thing, so do I really feel like I want to save that final $50?

The crazy part is I won't ever be really using the voice search, and I won't be using the headphones either. All I'm truly interested in is the wifi direct technology. But is that seriously a good enough reason to buy this thing? Then again, I hear the voice search function is pretty impressive, so I may be interested in that too.

My biggest hesitation is will this damn thing really take months to arrive from Amazon?

Amazon just told me 2 months wait before it's even shipped. No way jose. Best Buy version it is.

Also, why am I flipping over the remote when I can just use the mobile app???

An extra $50 over a remote... I'm so damn torn over this decision lol. I'm sorta already making out with a killer price on the thing, so do I really feel like I want to save that final $50?

The crazy part is I won't ever be really using the voice search, and I won't be using the headphones either. All I'm truly interested in is the wifi direct technology. But is that seriously a good enough reason to buy this thing? Then again, I hear the voice search function is pretty impressive, so I may be interested in that too.

My biggest hesitation is will this damn thing really take months to arrive from Amazon?

Amazon just told me 2 months wait before it's even shipped. No way jose. Best Buy version it is.

Also, why am I flipping over the remote when I can just use the mobile app???

Enjoy your TV. I am still totally happy with my purchase. Still getting blown away every day. Even normal HD Netflix stuff looks so awesome (watching Moana right now on Movie Mode, and you could tell me it is a 4K version and I would believe you, the upscaling must be damn good).

I have made no fine-tuning adjustments via the mobile app. For streaming stuff that is normal HD, I put it on Movie mode, TV brightness Brighter, local contrast High, Backlight at 100, turned the brightness down to 48, local contrast at high, color temp warm, and damn things look good. HDR content I found I needed to increase the color significantly to my liking like up to 80, so play around with it a bit. Always have backlight and contrast at 100 for HDR. All settings per input can be reset so easily that there is no reason not to experiment!

Yo this sounds GREAT for the price.

I think I'm buying the 65inch version this Black Friday. This seems to be a good set to pick until OLED comes down in price in 3 or so years

How's the 1080p scaling on this set? I' have it in my cart and about to order. Just need this last question answered and it will be on its way to my living room.

Stiler

How's the 1080p scaling on this set? I' have it in my cart and about to order. Just need this last question answered and it will be on its way to my living room.

From rtings review:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607

1080p - 9.0/10
Full HD content such as Blu-rays look good. The image remains clear.

480 - 8/10
Upscaling of low quality content such as DVDs is good. As with other TCL TVs, the image isn't too soft and details are preserved.

720p - 8/10
720p sources such as cable TV are upscaled well. Details remains clear.

Enjoy your TV. I am still totally happy with my purchase. Still getting blown away every day. Even normal HD Netflix stuff looks so awesome (watching Moana right now on Movie Mode, and you could tell me it is a 4K version and I would believe you, the upscaling must be damn good).

I have made no fine-tuning adjustments via the mobile app. For streaming stuff that is normal HD, I put it on Movie mode, TV brightness Brighter, local contrast High, Backlight at 100, turned the brightness down to 48, local contrast at high, color temp warm, and damn things look good. HDR content I found I needed to increase the color significantly to my liking like up to 80, so play around with it a bit. Always have backlight and contrast at 100 for HDR. All settings per input can be reset so easily that there is no reason not to experiment!

Thx for the tips. Saving everything you said in a note so I can try them out.

BHK3

Banned
Nope, its a setting issue. Change from 1.4 to 2.0 and you get 4K 60fps with HDR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKPoCBVN0Uc
This great to see, I'm really considering this for black friday now. I just need to figure out what to do about getting a new receiver for my ps4 pro that works with HDR and all these bells and whistles without issue.
but what the hell...like in some of the ps4 themes it makes the screen look like there are patches of darker areas in the center of the screen. Here's an example. Was using my iphone and I'm not sure how to adjust any settings so it might be slightly exaggerated. Are other people who are dissatisfied with their screen uniformity/DSE seeing this with the PS4 dual theme as well? I guess that gray section of theme is like a gray uniformity test color in itself? its gotten to the point where I can't use certain themes because they highlight the uniformity issue. lol

If your iphone is exaggerating that, that's not that bad compared to my TV. You'd probably start crying blood if you saw the banding on mine lol. Getting a TV with no banding is already a headache in itself, I rather deal with some light banding than image retention personally.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This great to see, I'm really considering this for black friday now. I just need to figure out what to do about getting a new receiver for my ps4 pro that works with HDR and all these bells and whistles without issue.

If your iphone is exaggerating that, that's not that bad compared to my TV. You'd probably start crying blood if you saw the banding on mine lol. Getting a TV with no banding is already a headache in itself, I rather deal with some light banding than image retention personally.

i dunno just seems off to me that it looks that way under certain conditions. i don't ever remember my sony xbr lcd from 2007 ever looking this bad uniformity wise. but i guess that's just the consequence of slim lcd tech. its particularly jarring coming from a kuro plasma.

also that was my favorite ps4 theme and i can't use the dark blue version because it looks like ass now #firstworldproblems but still...wtf lol

ZOONAMI

Is this really any better than the hisense h8c that has been at this price point or lower for over a year?

GreekWolf

Highly doubt it. It's going to sell like gangbusters without dropping price.

Yeah, I agree. At $599 it's already locked into black friday status. I'm still amazed watching UHD and HDR content on this set, that image quality this impressive is now under a grand.

gamz

Yeah, I agree, At $599 it's already locked into black friday status. I'm still amazed watching UHD and HDR content on this set, that image quality this impressive is now under a grand.

I think this Holiday is the year where 4K goes mainstream. They are insanely cheap now. I'm nailing a TCL P for sure with the X.

Mrbob

Can someone with this TV measure the length from the legs the tv sits on, from leg end to leg end. I have a friend who is interested in this set, but he has only about 43" of clearance on his stand to fit the TV (Has a 42" DLP on there currently). The TV hanging off each end of the stand is fine as long as the legs aren't longer than 43" from end to end.

gamz

Can someone with this TV measure the length from the legs the tv sits on, from leg end to leg end. I have a friend who is interested in this set, but he has only about 43" of clearance on his stand to fit the TV (Has a 42" DLP on there currently). The TV hanging off each end of the stand is fine as long as the legs aren't longer than 43" from end to end.

Read two posts above you.

While it looks like a great set for its price, that gray uniformity's a deal breaker for me. I had a Samsung with awful uniformity (not as bad as this) and it was disturbingly distracting.

Marmelade

While it looks like a great set for its price, that gray uniformity's a deal breaker for me. I had a Samsung with awful uniformity (not as bad as this) and it was disturbingly distracting.

Panel uniformity is always a lottery.
But it does seem that this particular model might have more problems in that regard than average, which is kind of weird considering that it's direct lit

Is this really any better than the hisense h8c that has been at this price point or lower for over a year?
The 55" H8C was or still is on sale at bestbuy for $550. My siblings and I went ahead and got it as an anniversary gift for our parents. It used to be the best budget tv listed on rtings and now they don't list it in their rankings which I find odd. But you can still find the review and settings on the site. Anyone know why rtings suddenly dropped the Hisense and don't even mention it now?

aka_bueno

So image quality wise, what's the better budget TV: this or the 2017 Vizio M? Both are $599 but there's a 5" difference in size.

But strictly speaking about image, which is better?

I see the width of the stand posted, but what is the width of the actual TV? Best Buy's app only has height and depth (which for some reason is listed as 31", LOL).

I'd like to know if I even have room to fit this thing where it needs to go.

Ordered one of these bad boys, can't wait to try it out. Glad there's some low budget competition that gives the big boys a run for their money.

I just got a Vizio M-series 50-inch yesterday. While it looks great, the fact that it doesn't have any coaxial hookup really annoys me and I'm considering taking it back. Does anyone know if the picture quality is up there with the Vizio or Samsung HDR models?

GreekWolf

If I got one of these as a secondary, how would it compare to my ks8000?

I owned a KS8000 briefly last year and just picked up a TCL P605 (the Best Buy model).

Just from my own impressions, image quality is very similar between the two. HDR looks great on both models. Colors are eye-popping, with a bit more saturation on the KS8000 and slightly more natural on the TCL. Contrast looks about the same as well, with the TCL seemingly a notch "inkier" (is that a word?) in black level. I guess that's to be expected as a FALD display.

The TCL gets very bright and should satisfy anyone who wants to place it in the living room for daytime watching. However, I remember the KS8000 being blazing, eye-searingly bright. This might be a consideration watching Netflix and Amazon HDR.

Overall, they are comparable sets which is pretty amazing considering the price difference. The KS8000 excels in brightness and dazzling, saturated colors. The TCL's strengths are contrast, more accurate colors out of the box and the great Roku interface.

Considering this TV, the width of the legs would be an issue for anyone with a smaller width TV stand. But we can get a universal TV stand that attaches to the vesa mounts to fix it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZVPFGU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This has been the only thing holding me back from buying this set. I feel so stupid for not realizing this could be done

I've been living vicariously through my friend for the past week with TV envy. Time to upgrade to 4k

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Since this is a 60Hz panel how does it handle 3:2 pulldown? My current TV is a bonafide 120Hz and I love the fact that I can watch my films without judder.

For me a TV is about making my movies look best and gaming second.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Since this is a 60Hz panel how does it handle 3:2 pulldown? My current TV is a bonafide 120Hz and I love the fact that I can watch my films without judder.

For me a TV is about making my movies look best and gaming second.

Edit:

TV is back in the game for me. It offers judder free 24p bluray/4K playback. Although it doesn't offer that for cable viewing and presumably streaming I can live with that since watching from those sources is not about pristine quality, but good enough.

Quixzlizx

Is there any non-ridiculous way to increase HDMI ports, assuming I don't have enough room for a receiver in my room? My current Vizio has 5, and even that isn't enough for me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is there any non-ridiculous way to increase HDMI ports, assuming I don't have enough room for a receiver in my room? My current Vizio has 5, and even that isn't enough for me.

This is probably your only option if you want to be able to use Dolby Vision

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTR3XQ5/?tag=neogaf0e-20

OR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N19RFYW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has 12-bit color support which is necessary for Dolby Vision. Vanilla HDR is only 10-bit color.

Top Bottom