• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

phanphare

Banned
just got my tv delivered and set up

this thing is glorious. on fully black screens I haven't noticed any ghosting but it's still day time so I'll knock on wood and see how it looks in a fully dark room.

and yeah game mode on this thing is superb. played some ARMS, noticeable difference in input lag.

full disclosure I was coming from a budget insignia tv from like 2013 so yeah, the gulf in quality between what I was seeing yesterday and today is quite wide.

amdb00mer

I own this tv and can confirm that the input lag is amazing and it's an overall great value at $599.

I was thinking about switching to this TV as my current TV does not support HDR and I saw this one had HDR and really low input lag in game mode. I did read some reviews that claimed the 120Hz motion is faked. How does sporting events look on it? Does the action get blurry? Beyond that, it seems like for gaming and 4K UHD Blu-rays it is a great value.

I was thinking about switching to this TV as my current TV does not support HDR and I saw this one had HDR and really low input lag in game mode. I did read some reviews that claimed the 120Hz motion is faked. How does sporting events look on it? Does the action get blurry? Beyond that, it seems like for gaming and 4K UHD Blu-rays it is a great value.

I'm still trying to figure out how this TV can have judder free 24p on a 60hz screen. Nobody has been able to explain that and I've never seen that possible before.

amdb00mer

I'm still trying to figure out how this TV can have judder free 24p on a 60hz screen. Nobody has been able to explain that and I've never seen that possible before.

CNET, has a good review on it. They have a seasoned reviewer, but I don't think he covered sports. Just Roku, streaming in general, 4K blu-ray, and other features, including the aforementioned 24p/24Hz.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well the reason I always rule out a 60hz panel is that it usually can't handle proper 24p playback. So what's confusing here is this TV is a 60hz panel, but it supports judder free 24p playback. How does that work? In the past you needed a 120hz panel for it to be judder free.
Yeah my current TV is 120 Hz and going back to a 60Hz TV is noticeable with judder. So much so that it also gives me pause about buying it. For gaming I am 100% fine with 60Hz, but having a perfect judder free picture for bluray/4K playback is even more important for me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
just got my tv delivered and set up

this thing is glorious. on fully black screens I haven't noticed any ghosting but it's still day time so I'll knock on wood and see how it looks in a fully dark room.

and yeah game mode on this thing is superb. played some ARMS, noticeable difference in input lag.

full disclosure I was coming from a budget insignia tv from like 2013 so yeah, the gulf in quality between what I was seeing yesterday and today is quite wide.

fyi (in case you run into any ghosting issues while viewing content) someone on avs mentioned ghosting when playing certain things and he said turning off noise reduction in the roku app fixed it.

lantus

Wow pretty glad this tv came to my attention. As someone in the market for a new set, would there be any discernable difference between this and the 900E from Sony? I know they're in different price ranges, but is it just a little better image quality or something more substantial?

Wow pretty glad this tv came to my attention. As someone in the market for a new set, would there be any discernable difference between this and the 900E from Sony? I know they're in different price ranges, but is it just a little better image quality or something more substantial?

The 900E does several things better. Better image quality, better motion handling, better, 120hz panel, etc. How discernable it is really depends on the person.

RedAssedApe

Banned
yup. another thing to keep in mind is that sony supposedly isn't going to be updating/able to update(?) the x900e with Dolby Vision support. not sure how big of a deal will end up being.

RedAssedApe

Banned
can someone tell me what settings they are using for their ps4? i still don't understand if i should be using auto, rgb or the yuv420 option.

i think i might be getting some banding which hopefully can be resolved using the right setting? hdmi input set to 2.0 on the tv itself. does rgb full/limited or deep color setting come into play on the ps4 at all? currently have all the options on ps4 on auto but i know auto sometimes breaks down.

JaggedSac

Is it true that motion smoothing is on and cannot be turned off? If so that is an unfortunate dealbreaker. That shit irritates me to no end.

ncslamm

I mentioned a few pages back that the sound was lacking and this TV really needs a sound bar. I bought a Bose solo 5 today and can confirm it does not block any of the screen. The only issue is on the BB model (605) the IR sensor for the remote is where the LED is located so your signal can get blocked.

amdb00mer

A guy on YouTube has made a few videos of his experience with the TV as far as video games.
https://www.youtube.com/user/elihuman

Here's the first first video. He has 4 total about this TV.
https://youtu.be/MZpMOpcqFpg

LOL
Going over the TV's audio settings. Apparently, he says this TV has a mode that makes it sound like a large fish. :)

51Q9CD8F97L._QL40_SX400_.jpg

FlipCup

Neo Member
Does anyone know if this TV (P605 or P607) has bluetooth built in? I would like to use my wireless headphones.

GreekWolf

So yay or nay on this set ?

Two FALD thumbs up.

I have a Panasonic VT50 plasma, owned a KS8000 briefly last year, and I prefer the image of my P605 to both.

HDR gaming on this set is superb. UHD content is great. Super bright in all content, except for Dolby Vision.

The only caveats are the horrible viewing angles and awful sound. You absolutely must be sitting directly in front of the set to enjoy the IQ. Deviate even a little and the contrast and colors disappear quickly. A decent sound system or soundbar is an absolute must. TCL put all their engineering muscle into the visuals, which is a major reason the price is right. Neither of these considerations are an issue for me.

Great television. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I place this alongside my BenQ W1070 projector as the two best A/V purchases I've made under a grand.

So yay or nay on this set ?

I've had it for a little more than two weeks and it's a yay for me. Been mostly gaming and watching streaming content so I can't speak to Blu-Ray playback yet. The Rtings review is pretty spot on. There are some gray uniformity issues, although they aren't bad on my set. Rtings has updated their best list and this is now their top budget set.

For my case I have a PS4 Pro and will buy a Xbox One X. I was looking for a good entry level 4K HDR tv for those devices and it happened to be about the time this tv was launching. The input lag is what sealed it for me. If you are comparing this to high end tvs you'll be disappointed, if you're like me and wanted a good budget level tv to hold you over until the price of OLED drops then it's a great place to jump in.

The low input lag on this TV sounds amazing, but doesn't game mode turn off the FALD? And does that noticeably decrease the contrast and image quality?

edit: The difference is actually shown off here: https://youtu.be/CC2lmlSKC40?t=2m39s

I would still be curious to get people's opinion's on this, especially if you have the TV and have tried gaming both with Game Mode On (No FALD), and Game Mode off (FALD on but higher input lag).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Main issue with my set is the screen uniformity and from what I've been reading that's also something reviewers had with their review sets too. But they generally brush it off as probably not being bothersome to most people. I think coming from plasma makes this jump out at me. But I think I'll just have to live with if what I'm reading about it being a limitation of LCD.

It's a bit weird. There is one PS4 theme in particular (dual dark blue) where this problem rears its ugly head the hardest for me. Most other times I can't really see it. Is there something particular about that set of colors that would cause this? Like to my eyes it literally looks like the center of the screen is much darker than the rest. Anyone else seeing this on theirs?

Does anyone know if this TV (P605 or P607) has bluetooth built in? I would like to use my wireless headphones.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You can use the roku app to stream audio from the tv. It is restricted to stuff from the roku tv apps though so devices connected via hdmi won't work. I'm assuming using headphones with the 607 remote doesn't have that limitation?

Magypsy

Oof, I'm in the market for a new tv, and this one is ticking all my boxes. Unfortunately it is not available in my region :(.

SaintR

Struggling between waiting for the 65inch version of this set and the Vizio P65c1 (there's still some left in my local Costco for $1500)

I love this TCL's price, roku software and low input lag while The Vizio is a true 120hz set which is good for my movie watching but has mediocre input lag. Decisions decisions 😬

I'm upgrading from my Panny ST30 so I know either will be an upgrade

RedAssedApe

Banned
Struggling between waiting for the 65inch version of this set and the Vizio P65c1 (there's still some left in my local Costco for $1500)

I love this TCL's price, roku software and low input lag while The Vizio is a true 120hz set which is good for my movie watching but has mediocre input lag. Decisions decisions 😬

don't be so sure going from plasma to lcd ;)

Norse

Why not a 2017 Vizio M series 65" ? Rtings says the tcl and M series Vizio are pretty equal.

Anyone been to their local US Costco? Have they got this TV in yet? Also, did the 50 inch version release yet and how much cheaper will it be than the 55?

Tripolygon

Banned

RedAssedApe

Banned
if you're sensitive to dirty screen effect/gray uniformity...don't use the dual orange and gray gaf colored theme on the ps4 in conjunction with high contrast mode.

fuck me cannot unsee...

Marmelade

if you're sensitive to dirty screen effect/gray uniformity...don't use the dual orange and gray gaf colored theme on the ps4 in conjunction with high contrast mode.

fuck me cannot unsee...

Back in 2013 when I was looking for a TV I returned 4 different LCD because of poor uniformity/banding/DSE
Watching a football game for example looked downright awful
I didn't want to buy a plasma at the time because I already had one and didn't wanna have to "baby" a TV anymore but I still ended up with one (42ST60)
I'd rather deal with image retention than clouding/banding/dse/backlight bleeding/...

RedAssedApe

Banned
Back in 2013 when I was looking for a TV I returned 4 different LCD because of poor uniformity/banding/DSE
Watching a football game for example looked downright awful
I didn't want to buy a plasma at the time because I already had one and didn't wanna have to "baby" a TV anymore but I still ended up with one (42ST60)
I'd rather deal with image retention than clouding/banding/dse/backlight bleeding/...

if i couldn't see it in menus and stuff it probably wouldn't bother me as much.

but what the hell...like in some of the ps4 themes it makes the screen look like there are patches of darker areas in the center of the screen. Here's an example. Was using my iphone and I'm not sure how to adjust any settings so it might be slightly exaggerated. Are other people who are dissatisfied with their screen uniformity/DSE seeing this with the PS4 dual theme as well? I guess that gray section of theme is like a gray uniformity test color in itself? its gotten to the point where I can't use certain themes because they highlight the uniformity issue. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom