• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

ornery

If the person is asking for a soundbar, then it seems clear that they can play audio without bothering others. Also they seem to care enough about audio to not want to use TV speakers.

A soundbar isnt anywhere near as loud/obnoxious as a 5.1 surround sound system.

I have a 65" P and a 55" KS8000 - the P is better everywhere, even gaming. You may find the charts say the KS8000 has lower input lag, but the difference is negligible in reality, frankly. They both play just as well, in my experience.

(it's all about that localized dimming tho, really sets the P apart).

think they were comparing this TCL set with the Vizio P

h3ro

Volume controls are amazing.

The sound clarity and benefit you get from a proper surround system is akin to the move from 480p to 1080p. It adds so much to the immersion and experience of games, movies and even music.
That's even more relevant now that games are supporting much higher spec and lower compression codecs.

I think he referring to OLED which on a whole is going to give you a much better picture.

So the 3 tiers have emerged it seems:

Best Budget TV: TCLP607

Best MidRange TV: Sony X900E

Best High End TV: LG B6/B7/C7 OLED

This is pretty much my findings as well.

$600 vs $1100 vs $1750+

Smokey

I'm in the same boat -- exactly as you. Bought a Samsung inverter fridge and it crapped out less than 10 months in. Bought a Samsung inverter airconditioning unit, crapped six months in. Learned my lesson. Bought LG TVs (one 65-inch HDTV and another 65-inch UH7700 4K unit) and all work like a dream. Bought LG fridges and aircons after that.

Sony quality has been consistently good for me as well. Never getting another Samsung electronic device unless it's a phone.

Yep. Samsung can kick rocks. My current 2011 tv is a Samsung and I went through multiple Galaxy phones before giving up and going with a different manufacturer.

Fuk Samsung

Having a 5.1 system doesn't mean you have to crank the volume to the max. You can play it at the same volume and have superior sound.

Exactly. In fact surround might be less obtrusive for housemates/neighbors since more of the sound is directed inward toward the listener instead of outward.

RedAssedApe

Banned

anything with a subwoofer (which most "higher end" sound bars have) is going to be "obnoxious" for people who live in condos or apartments and have shared wells and/or people living above or below them. its usually the vibrations due to cheap sound proofing in older buildings as opposed to the actual volume of your sound that causes people issues.

carpeting and or dampeners might help as well as night modes. however there are some neighbors who will still be super anal where you aren't going to be able to get them to stop complaining. apartment landlords might not care but if you own a place and have an HOA...they definitely will give you shit if someone complains.

I do think expectations need to be tempered a little bit, and that's coming from someone who owns and loves this tv. It is an amazing value, and in my eyes does a great job of displaying HDR content, again considering the price. What this tv is to me is a great way to take advantage of my PS4 Pro and upcoming Xbox One X purchase. I now have 4K and HDR for both of those devices. In my case, I know I eventually want to go OLED and this tv allows me to wait a few years while the prices continue to drop.

If you want 4K on a budget, especially for gaming I find it hard pressed to find a better value out there considering the input lag and features of the tv. Are you a videophile? Obviously look elsewhere. But if you're like me and eventually want a larger, brighter, more capable HDR/4K, but want to wait a bit until the prices come down then I think the P Series is something to seriously consider.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I do think expectations need to be tempered a little bit, and that's coming from someone who owns and loves this tv. It is an amazing value, and in my eyes does a great job of displaying HDR content, again considering the price. What this tv is to me is a great way to take advantage of my PS4 Pro and upcoming Xbox One X purchase. I now have 4K and HDR for both of those devices. In my case, I know I eventually want to go OLED and this tv allows me to wait a few years while the prices continue to drop.

If you want 4K on a budget, especially for gaming I find it hard pressed to find a better value out there considering the input lag and features of the tv. Are you a videophile? Obviously look elsewhere. But if you're like me and eventually want a larger, brighter, more capable HDR/4K, but want to wait a bit until the prices come down then I think the P Series is something to seriously consider.

yup. like you're not getting oled or the the top of the line sony lcd performance out of these things. but if you wanted and could afford that, you probably wouldn't be looking at this anyways.

for me my plasma just died and i don't want to go all in on something since there is stuff in the pipeline (hdmi 2.1, freesync stuff, oled still really pricey)

spyder_ur

I own this TV, moving from a 1080P Sharp. The upgrade is fantastic on basically any content I've tried it on. Fantastic picture (my panel had no backlight issues which some were reporting), the ease of Roku, and a few really nice features that were neat to me (remote finder, headphone jack in remote) made this a really solid first foray into 4K for me.

I'd like to pick up the P605 model from Best Buy. I need around $200 more dollars to do the $799.99 or more 24-month no interest financing there. Can anyone recommend a good sound bar to go with this TV?

I can recommend the Vizio soundbars with the wireless sub and 2 satellite speakers. I believe this is the newer version of the one I have and fits pretty neatly into the price you were looking for.

Re: Soundbar vs 5.1: I loved my 5.1 but it was definitely much more obtrusive to neighbors than my current setup. I'd love to have a full blown out 5.1 or 7.1 setup, but I live in a smaller city apartment and I've traded it for the convenience of having a simpler setup with no wires or bulky speakers plus happy neighbors. It's certainly no ideal for audiophiles, but it works sufficiently for my situation. Can't have it all.

splattered

Now that I have these set up in my house... what are the recommended video settings on PS4 Pro and XB1S to get the most out of this TCL set?

When navigating the XB1S earlier I saw different options like 10-bit color, (8/10/12) and other stuff that wasn't automatically selected.

Mesoian

Hmm...

This would be a great replacement TV for my current game room...

I wonder if I could get 300 for my current TV, it's an old 55 inch plasma.

funcojoe

Just ordered one to be delivered Saturday.

I figured with the budget I had set out for this year for personal purchases this would allow for some room in my wallet before Christmas.

So now I only have to buy a x one x, and I'm saving a ton with not going with the lg oled I was going to purchase. That opens up some room for a new camera lens as well.

I like saving money so I can spend that money on more shit lol.

Siphorus

yup. like you're not getting oled or the the top of the line sony lcd performance out of these things. but if you wanted and could afford that, you probably wouldn't be looking at this anyways.

for me my plasma just died and i don't want to go all in on something since there is stuff in the pipeline (hdmi 2.1, freesync stuff, oled still really pricey)

Yea I'm in the same boat, I had a 32" 1080p screen from 2012 that has worked great, however in my new apartment it's too far away and hard to see from a distance.

Anyways I bought the TCL P605 from Best Buy and while the colors, HDR, and resolution on the panel are quite nice, there are clouds in the corners, around the bottom, and some backlight bleed on the bottom left and right. I may have to play the panel lottery for this one or return it.

There's quite a bit of tearing from my PC to the TCL, even though I'm mirroring my desktop from 60hz to 60hz, and I couldn't get HDR to work from Windows 10 Creators Update on the panel either, it appears as HDR but has the gray tonal look from it being HDR on standard playback. I tried fiddling with Nvidia drivers since there's a few way to control colors from there, but that didn't seem to help either. In the end I had to get some code to force the monitor into HDR mode, but I believe that PC HDR is more of a Nvidia/MS problem than a TCL one.

Edit: The HDR issue was fixed with nvidia 384.76 drivers, with those installed and the creators update I could get HDR playback from my PC.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yea I'm in the same boat, I had a 32" 1080p screen from 2012 that has worked great, however in my new apartment it's too far away and hard to see from a distance.

Anyways I bought the TCL P605 from Best Buy and while the colors, HDR, and resolution on the panel are quite nice, there are clouds in the corners, around the bottom, and some backlight bleed on the bottom left and right. I may have to play the panel lottery for this one or return it.

There's quite a bit of tearing from my PC to the TCL, even though I'm mirroring my desktop from 60hz to 60hz, and I couldn't get HDR to work from Windows 10 Creators Update on the panel either, it appears as HDR but has the gray tonal look from it being HDR on standard playback. I tried fiddling with Nvidia drivers since there's a few way to control colors from there, but that didn't seem to help either. In the end I had to get some code to force the monitor into HDR mode, but I believe that PC HDR is more of a Nvidia/MS problem than a TCL one.

Expecting my exchange tomorrow as my current set has clouding/flash lighting in the corners which are pretty noticeable if fald isn't kicking in.

Crossing my fingers.

GreekWolf

Cnet review

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55p607/review/

Doesn't quite sound like the absolute game changer that the original avsforum preview made it out to be but still a quality budget set.

I'm wondering if we're reading the same review. It's filled with gushing praise, possibly moreso than AVS testing.

It received a 4/5 score and they claim the picture received a higher score than the Samsung QLED. That's absolutely comical. Samsung has become a joke as of late.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think he referring to OLED which on a whole is going to give you a much better picture.

So the 3 tiers have emerged it seems:

Best Budget TV: TCLP607

Best MidRange TV: Sony X900E

Best High End TV: LG B6/B7/C7 OLED

And yet, best 43" is still - 43X800D/43XD8005

ncslamm

Watched a bit of Planet Earth 2 UHD Bluray and it looked amazing with HDR. I think my favorite thing about this TV is it automatically detects HDR/Dolby Vision and displays a notification. I do think I need to get a 4k Bluray player because the Xbox One S app is a bit lacking. The TV speakers are good enough for the small room I have it in but those using it in a living room/den will need a better sound setup.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Amazons estimates are usually pretty conservative. Tcl said mid July for refreshing Amazon stock. It's available at Bestbuy right now and cheaper. Albeit with the cheaper remote.

Thanks for the Best Buy info.

Will be getting one from there soon.

RedAssedApe

Banned
We must have read different reviews.

I'm wondering if we're reading the same review. It's filled with gushing praise, possibly moreso than AVS testing.

It received a 4/5 score and they claim the picture received a higher score than the Samsung QLED. That's absolutely comical. Samsung has become a joke as of late.

I dunno. I guess I though there were more strongly worded praises by imagic in both his preview article and follow up forum posts. Calling it disruptive to the marketplace. No editors choice award from david either.

Anyhow I bought the dang thing lol. I'm in no way trashing it (although my first set has the uniformity issues).

I did notice that his measured peak brightness was a bit lower than some of the other reviews.

funcojoe

How are people liking this TV?

It's cheap, does 4k, hdr, Dolby vision, low input lag, and it's cheap!

I don't need an oled yet, this perfectly suits my needs. Plus it allows me to get other shit I wouldn't have been able to afford had I gone with the lg oled. Such as the canon ef 85mm f/1.2 I've been saving for.

Or if you mean how do I like it? Dunno will update tomorrow when it arrives, I calibrate it and hook the Ps4pro up to it.

I'm coming from a samsung 55 curved 4k that didn't have hdr but had a wonderful picture.

gamz

I don't need an oled yet, this perfectly suits my needs. Plus it allows me to get other shit I wouldn't have been able to afford had I gone with the lg oled. Such as the canon ef 85mm f/1.2 I've been saving for.

Yup. Holds me off on getting the OLED and I can get the X without killing my wallet.

Or if you mean how do I like it? Dunno will update tomorrow when it arrives, I calibrate it and hook the Ps4pro up to it.

I'm coming from a samsung 55 curved 4k that didn't have hdr but had a wonderful picture.
Sweet, I have been following since CES and the combo is too good to be true but it is true! Will buy since OLED is still too much for my blood.

BTW, your name reminds of Funcoland videogame store.

Karak

Having spent a great deal of time with almost every HDR tv there is. This is an absolutely excellent purchase for its price and certainly punches a bit above its weight in a couple catagories.

Top Bottom