• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok - so rereading JET's own info.

"Colds, fevers and acne (if not currently undergoing treatment) may be omitted. Also, visits to obstetrics / gynaecology facilities or consultations for the requesting of contraception may be omitted. If you have answered this question in the negative or if the physical issues mentioned in your answer are not reoccurring, then you will not require a Statement of Physician. This is true so long as you are not currently receiving any prescriptions or treatment for these issues. In all other cases, please have your doctor complete the Statement of Physician."

I won't need to get a Statement done for the ear infection I got in 2010, so as long as I declare it as not reoccuring? Seems kind of insane I'd have to get a statement done for such a minor, one-off incident. I'm going to give them a call in the morning.

Yeah, I gave up and accepted that I learned about it too late. I'll probably never do it now, it would have been a really awesome experience if I could have though.

Aizo

Banned
What do all of you in Japan plan to do after teaching there? Especially those of you who were in/are in JET.

Porcile

Yeah, I gave up and accepted that I learned about it too late. I'll probably never do it now, it would have been a really awesome experience if I could have though.

For the record, I phoned up the JET desk and I was told that I did have to get a Statement of Physician filled out by my doctor. All because of a relatively minor ear infection. Thankfully my surgery was very accommodating, and I got it done within a couple days. It's best to get all the stuff like academic transcripts etc sorted way before the application process opens. Now that I know what it actually requires, I'll be prepared in case I have to apply next year.

Sarcasm

Man..I feel so odd.

I teach in English and live in Taiwan and it is not a blast. Than again I am solo as in no agency used. Married to a local.

TLDR why does everybody have fun but meeeee lol

Jintor

For the record, I phoned up the JET desk and I was told that I did have to get a Statement of Physician filled out by my doctor. All because of a relatively minor ear infection. Thankfully my surgery was very accommodating, and I got it done within a couple days. It's best to get all the stuff like academic transcripts etc sorted way before the application process opens. Now that I know what it actually requires, I'll be prepared in case I have to apply next year.

Yo fuck that. I hope I don't get knocked back for putting a minor eye infection on my self-assessment when it literally cleared up within a week with medication (which I also put on the form). Christ.

WoodWERD

Man..I feel so odd.

I teach in English and live in Taiwan and it is not a blast. Than again I am solo as in no agency used. Married to a local.

Not worthy of a TLDR ;) Surely some fun led to marrying a local? I don't think an agency has anything to do with it unless you're incapable of meeting people or get stuck in the middle of nowhere with no other foreigners. Does Taiwan get packed during Spring Festival? I'm leaning towards Thailand to avoid the craziness of traveling within China around that time.

Munin

Man..I feel so odd.

I live in Taipei now and have a pretty good time. But I'm a freelancer on an European salary. Honestly from what I hear from teachers around here...I probably wouldn't be here if I had to teach

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Im hearing teaching in Korea is becoming more difficult? I tried to get it started 3 years ago, can anyone clarify how its become harder? I have a University degree (Law) 27 years old, male and can afford the courses. I have teaching experience but sadly it was voluntary and the person who took me on has died so there isnt any paper trail :(

Sarcasm

Met her in the states and married, than moved here. Salary is pretty high compared to locals..I mean hell I paid off my entire student loan in the states in less than two years (would have taken years in the states). On top of that I am attending Uni..for free. Free for foreigners!

But the work ethnics..dirtiness and plain greasy food is whats getting to me. I live a bit more south than Taipei. I been all over TW and the south and east are freakin awesome.

But yeah, teaching wouldn't be so bad if they didn't view everything as a cost...not just me..but everything.

Munin

Don't quite understand your food complaint. I'm not sure where exactly you are in the south...but Taipei (obviously) and Kaohsiung have a great variety of food...even the midrange western food is pretty good. Unless you only eat at night markets or local hole in the walls...

Also, go see Taiwan from Above if you haven't already, it's incredible

Sarcasm

I am in Taoyuan. McDonalds is about western you can get. Sure we have pasta places and TGIF and such. That is the movie that is in the helicopter that goes around Taiwan and talks about nature, pollution etc? It was really good if that is the one.

Also the grease thing may be because of where I grew up. And the meat quality. Literally the food goes in and comes out in quick succession.

Fantomen

Neo Member
Reading this thread gives me the itch to do the same as you do, teach in an exotic land. I'm a Swede, no teaching experience and attending University here studying IT, though it isn't going that well...

Seems China is a good bet by the looks of it, is it worth going for some kind of TEFL cert? Found this Teach & Travel: http://www.iesglobal.com/program/teach-travel-china
A little costly, but maybe it is worth it?

Sweden is cold and boring, I want to live somewhere warmer and more exciting! Vietnam also looks interesting.

Porcile

Yo fuck that. I hope I don't get knocked back for putting a minor eye infection on my self-assessment when it literally cleared up within a week with medication (which I also put on the form). Christ.

Perhaps someone with a bit more experience could shed some light on this? I got confused because the wording on the website and downloadable application was quite different to that of the online application. I even mentioned this to JET desk, but no dice. The online application was much stricter about what required a Statement of Physician. Hopefully you'll be fine though.

Shouta

Minor eye infection probably isn't enough to discredit you from being accepted into the program. Honestly, I didn't even list anything unless it was something I had to go to the doctor for and it was recent.

Jintor

Well, it did occur in August so I figured that was recent enough to put on the form. But it wasn't an ongoing condition, which is the thing my form wanted a physician's report for.

Hopefully no problems. Still don't have my postcard back...

Porcile

I don't think it's the type of injury they hold against you, right? It's more the fact that you have to declare and explain any medical issues and subsequent treatments so that when it comes round to the second set of checks your own self assessment medical report has no inconsistencies. I believe if there's any missing information or irregularities with what you initially declared, then they will automatically disqualify you. Hence why they put 'WE WILL FIND OUT' on the online form. So as long as you declared it, you're probably in the clear I would've thought.

Also, JET UK requirements might be different to your Australian one ;-)

What if I wanted to teach abroad (thinking South Korea), but don't have any teaching experience (recent college grad though with an English Lit major) and on top of that I am not exactly the most comfortable person in front of crowds/groups of people?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
What if I wanted to teach abroad (thinking South Korea), but don't have any teaching experience (recent college grad though with an English Lit major) and on top of that I am not exactly the most comfortable person in front of crowds/groups of people?

Im in the same position

I wonder if anyone who has taught in Korea would be up for chatting on steam or some other platform, I am from the UK so I imagine the method through which one qualifies is different to NA.

Porcile

I'm sure the same can be said about most people applying to do this sort of thing. Besides, even if you have teaching experience, standing in front of an entire class who can't speak your language is going to be a totally different challenge to whatever you're used to at home. Some people are naturally talented educators, but they still have to go through a process of experience to reach that point. No one is brilliant at teaching or amazingly confident from the start, trust me. The ones who think they are, are mostly total dicks. It's a process you only good at and gain confidence by actually doing it, and putting yourself in situations where maybe you're slightly out of your comfort zone.

If you want to do it, then just go for it. Do some reading around and find a programme or company which suits you.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Im in the same position

I wonder if anyone who has taught in Korea would be up for chatting on steam or some other platform, I am from the UK so I imagine the method through which one qualifies is different to NA.
both you guys hit me up on pm or steam

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kuro_madoushi/

caesar

Banned
Im hearing teaching in Korea is becoming more difficult? I tried to get it started 3 years ago, can anyone clarify how its become harder? I have a University degree (Law) 27 years old, male and can afford the courses. I have teaching experience but sadly it was voluntary and the person who took me on has died so there isnt any paper trail :(

The market is becoming more saturated and they are cutting jobs, although you are more than qualified so I wouldn't worry.

That was my experience when I got into it as well, you'll be fine. The latter part, I guess you will have to suck it up. :s

Im in the same position

It's quite similar except for the criminal record checks, be happy to help too.

Jubern

Somehow I never thought about posting in this thead!

I've been teaching English and French in a language school since August. The main draw was that the school who hired me would sponsor me for a work visa, and I actually submitted my application yesterday!

The big downside, though, is the abysmal pay. Or work time, should I say, but not in the way you'd expect for Japan. Our company has over a dozen of teachers for only 3 schools, which is waaay too much considering how much students we have. As I'm one of the last guys that got hired, I'm getting barely enough lessons for paying my rent. And the thing is that the schedules are done in a way that I can have days with 3 or 4 (if not more) hours of break between lessons, which screws up my plans for doing something else on the side.

I like the job, but this is starting to get heavy, I need to find some kind of translation gig or something, that I can do wherever I am... Probably won't do this for long, as I have better opportunities, but right now the visa is the priority.

Wubby

Somehow I never thought about posting in this thead!

I've been teaching English and French in a language school since August. The main draw was that the school who hired me would sponsor me for a work visa, and I actually submitted my application yesterday!

The big downside, though, is the abysmal pay. Or work time, should I say, but not in the way you'd expect for Japan. Our company has over a dozen of teachers for only 3 schools, which is waaay too much considering how much students we have. As I'm one of the last guys that got hired, I'm getting barely enough lessons for paying my rent. And the thing is that the schedules are done in a way that I can have days with 3 or 4 (if not more) hours of break between lessons, which screws up my plans for doing something else on the side.

I like the job, but this is starting to get heavy, I need to find some kind of translation gig or something, that I can do wherever I am... Probably won't do this for long, as I have better opportunities, but right now the visa is the priority.

Ugh sorry to hear that. When I was fresh off the plane I landed at Berlitz who used to pull that same shtick. Thankfully my visa was a spouse visa so I was free to look elsewhere. I'm a bit surprised though that they would go through the effort of sponsoring a visa then not guaranteeing a certain number of hours/pay.

Jubern

TBH I was too, but they've been doing this for their teachers for a while now. My pay should get better this month but still under 100000¥. Need about 150k absolute minimum to live decently so I'm looking for stuff on the side but it's a been a bit complicated as I said.

My GF isn't a Japanese national either so no spouse visa for me ;)

Sarcasm

Ugh sorry to hear that. When I was fresh off the plane I landed at Berlitz who used to pull that same shtick. Thankfully my visa was a spouse visa so I was free to look elsewhere. I'm a bit surprised though that they would go through the effort of sponsoring a visa then not guaranteeing a certain number of hours/pay.

Pretty common in all of Asia it seems.

Thankfully I also have a spouse visa heh.....

Any opportunities like this for people without a college degree? From what I've read, it's not possible to work in Japan without one, but what about China or Korea?

It's a shame since I've been to Japan and am currently learning the language, but I don't think there's anything I can do there.

WoodWERD

Any opportunities like this for people without a college degree? From what I've read, it's not possible to work in Japan without one, but what about China or Korea?

It's a shame since I've been to Japan and am currently learning the language, but I don't think there's anything I can do there.

A degree is practically required for a Z visa in China. You may be able to get by without one but chances are you'll be in a province that is desperate for teachers. From what I read on dave's esl it's certainly possible to land a job, but you should absolutely get in touch with some current teachers at the prospective school before making the jump. A lot of people get lured over on a tourist visa only to be given an excuse about the work visa by the school (or worse, fired), and then you're working illegally.

Wubby

That's not true. It's very possible to work here without one! What's impossible is getting the visa to do so. No degree = no work visa. But if you happen to be married to a Japanese national you can get a spouse visa which will let you do anything.

sasimirobot

About the degree thing. Some countries like Japan and Thailand have other ways around the requirement, like work experience or setting up your own business/investing, etc...
As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, if you really want to go for it, don't worry about a college degree, there are many ways around it if you really look.

You can get work if you have TEFL certification. Even without you can get work at smaller schools. I know some people working at the bigger eikaiwa schools without a degree, but all of them either have a TEFL cert, worked part time or are married to a Japanese spouse.

lupinko

I received a call at the end of my lunch break from the Japanese Consulate here in Vancouver.

Well long story short, I guess I'm going to Japan. =')

So many tears of joy right now.

lupinko

Man, my embassy won't even send it the shortlist finalists until Jan!

Is this for early placement next year or something?

I was on the waitlist for 2013 intake, the shortlist went already in August of this year. I'm replacing a different JET I think probably or something.

Necrovex

I received a call at the end of my lunch break from the Japanese Consulate here in Vancouver.

Well long story short, I guess I'm going to Japan. =')

So many tears of joy right now.

Hell yeah, man! I'm happy for you. I hope to see you in Japan if I get into JET.

lupinko

Thanks Necrovex!

Apparently I got my placement already and I'm going to Sendai City. Which isn't that far from Tokyo by bullet train and I get a city as opposed to fishing village. I leave straight from Vancouver on Jan 28 so I'm excited but also panicking, expect "I am moving to Japan thread" out of me shortly.

Jintor

Thanks Necrovex!

Apparently I got my placement already and I'm going to Sendai City. Which isn't that far from Tokyo by bullet train and I get a city as opposed to fishing village. I leave straight from Vancouver on Jan 28 so I'm excited but also panicking, expect "I am moving to Japan thread" out of me shortly.

nice!

I'm so pumped about this whole thing. Urgh this wait is going to kill me if I don't find a way to occupy myself.

Fark... I should probably re-read my letter of rec and re-prepare myself for interviews later in the month. I hate interviews...

lupinko

nice!

I'm so pumped about this whole thing. Urgh this wait is going to kill me if I don't find a way to occupy myself.

Fark... I should probably re-read my letter of rec and re-prepare myself for interviews later in the month. I hate interviews...

Good luck, the application process is murder, but if you get passed that then it's not so bad. My interview was done by a three person panel, although I applied as an ALT, half of my interview was in Japanese. Which is apparently why I was chosen this late for upgrade to short list. I was already planning on doing a working holiday visa but JET came through after all.

I'm taking things one step at a time but I am thinking about Japan as a more permanent thing post JET. I already have Japanese friends and contacts in various business and industry that can hopefully lead to something interesting post English work. If not then English work can work too or I go back to my old work but to its Japanese branch instead.

Or I bail Japan and move to SoCal, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom