• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porcile

So generally speaking, what is the main criteria for being accepted onto JET? I've read so many mixed experiences and people you'd think are the perfect fit but only get on the reserve list or nothing at all. I feel like I'm a reasonably strong candidate, but really I have no idea at all!

lupinko

So generally speaking, what is the main criteria for being accepted onto JET? I've read so many mixed experiences and people you'd think are the perfect fit but only get on the reserve list or nothing at all. I feel like I'm a reasonably strong candidate, but really I have no idea at all!

It's just that, there isn't really a main criteria, but I think being able to adapt/open minded is really important. They don't want people to bail out really quickly by realizing it's not for them or they were only in it for the money rather than the experience/opportunity/etc...

And it is not just dependent on what CLAIR (the part of the Japanese govt that is responsible for JET) requires, but also what the school district wants as well.

So you are not just rated on your own abilities, you also have to match what is being requested.

That's all I guess, hope that helps!

Porcile

It's just that, there isn't really a main criteria, but I think being able to adapt/open minded is really important. They don't want people to bail out really quickly by realizing it's not for them or they were only in it for the money rather than the experience/opportunity/etc...

And it is not just dependent on what CLAIR (the part of the Japanese govt that is responsible for JET) requires, but also what the school district wants as well.

So you are not just rated on your own abilities, you also have to match what is being requested.

That's all I guess, hope that helps!

Thanks! I didn't mention money or travelling, as those seemed like they'd be major turnoffs. I'm hoping my academic performance and 2+ years of part-time teaching will get me through to at least get to the interview stage. I'll be massively disappointed if I don't make it that far at least. It's a long old time till next October!

Mononoke

Banned
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself to this thread. I just graduated from my University 3 weeks ago, and got my Bachelors Degree in Multimedia Production. My brother just moved to Tokyo Japan for a private ALT company 2 months ago, and loves it. I've always wanted to go to Japan, and really want to do something similar. And honestly, I've lived 25 years of my life in Southern California, and have never left this state. I want to go and explore the world, and figure out who I am as a person. I want to be independent and do something with my life.

Anyways, I'm sort of looking at JET, just because I like the idea of having a community. My brother's company doesn't really have anything like that, and he's kind of just having to do everything alone (he had to find his own apartment, he doesn't have anyone to talk to or give him a guide around the city. He barely knows anyone that speaks English for outside of his job). He actually speaks Japanese though, so he's had an easier time transitioning. I on the other hand, don't speak any Japanese whatsoever. JET also seems like it offers some pretty good benefits.

I am willing to consider a private company though, seeing as JET seems hard to get into. And their process is lengthy. Sadly, I think I missed the deadline for this year. I already talked to Shouta who gave me a lot of info via PM. But I'm still kind of confused, and thought I would ask you guys.

Here is the site:

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/application.html

I also visited LA's embassy site, and it says the deadline is over for the 2014-2015 year. :( Do they really go that far out?

http://www.la.us.emb-japan.go.jp/e_web/jet.htm

The way I'm reading that is, the next time applications will be open for submission is in the Fall. Which means Sept/August. That is correct right? So I basically have to just wait until then, and then try to apply? Or should I be doing something right now. I know I really screwed up, as I just missed the deadline. So I have no idea what I should be doing right now. I just got caught up in my final semester and graduating. =/ Maybe I should just consider a private company, given how long I'll have to wait just to try again, and it's not even a guarantee I get accepted. I could wait 6 months + just to apply, and then have to wait another half of a year and not even get picked!

Porcile

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself to this thread. I just graduated from my University 3 weeks ago, and got my Bachelors Degree in Multimedia Production. My brother just moved to Tokyo Japan for a private ALT company 2 months ago, and loves it. I've always wanted to go to Japan, and really want to do something similar. And honestly, I've lived 25 years of my life in Southern California, and have never left this state. I want to go and explore the world, and figure out who I am as a person. I want to be independent and do something with my life.

Anyways, I'm sort of looking at JET, just because I like the idea of having a community. My brother's company doesn't really have anything like that, and he's kind of just having to do everything alone (he had to find his own apartment, he doesn't have anyone to talk to or give him a guide around the city. He barely knows anyone that speaks English for outside of his job). He actually speaks Japanese though, so he's had an easier time transitioning. I on the other hand, don't speak any Japanese whatsoever. JET also seems like it offers some pretty good benefits.

I am willing to consider a private company though, seeing as JET seems hard to get into. And their process is lengthy. Sadly, I think I missed the deadline for this year. I already talked to Shouta who gave me a lot of info via PM. But I'm still kind of confused, and thought I would ask you guys.

Here is the site:

I also visited LA's embassy site, and it says the deadline is over for the 2014-2015 year. :( Do they really go that far out?

The way I'm reading that is, the next time applications will be open for submission is in the Fall. Which means Sept/August. That is correct right? So I basically have to just wait until then, and then try to apply? Or should I be doing something right now. I know I really screwed up, as I just missed the deadline. So I have no idea what I should be doing right now. I just got caught up in my final semester and graduating. =/ Maybe I should just consider a private company, given how long I'll have to wait just to try again, and it's not even a guarantee I get accepted. I could wait 6 months + just to apply, and then have to wait another half of a year and not even get picked!

I'm not going to be able to answer all your questions, but I applied for JET here in the UK. Unfortunately you're going to have to wait until October 2014 to apply for JET again.

In the mean time, if you're sure you want to apply then start getting the necessary documents you might need right now. Things like your academic transcripts and medical documents. Perhaps, get references clued in early so they write you a killer reference. Just cover all your bases so that you're super prepared. Also use the time to boost your application strength, join a Japanese society or club, read and write about Japan and just do general interesting cultural stuff which can all go towards your application come October time. :)

Necrovex

Here is the site:

You sadly missed the deadline by a few months. Everything had to be turned in by late November. Hell the UK peeps are finally getting told if they'll have an interview. Us American peeps still have a few more weeks of waiting.

If you got into JET for 2015, you'll be waiting for about a year and a half before going to Japan.

Laieon

I'm planning on trying to get into South Korea this fall (probably through EPIK or GEPIK - does anyone know if I could apply for both?). I'm finishing up my TEFL certification, I have my bachelor's degree, and I have roughly a year of substitute teaching (150+ hours, I live in Texas so some of that is for ESL classes) under my belt. Is there anything else I should be worried about before applying? I understand public school jobs are a bit harder to get than they used to be, but I'd still prefer to attempt to get one rather then going through a Hagwon (at least for my first year...).

I should be done with my TEFL certification in early February, it shouldn't be too late to apply for August positions, right?

Necrovex

Got my letter. Passed 1st stage. On to the interviews.

I always thought you lived in the U.S. You gave me hope until I saw nothing on the JET FB page, which means you must live outside of America.

Congrats! I had a bad dream saying I was denied again. :'-(

caesar

Banned
I'm planning on trying to get into South Korea this fall (probably through EPIK or GEPIK - does anyone know if I could apply for both?). I'm finishing up my TEFL certification, I have my bachelor's degree, and I have roughly a year of substitute teaching (150+ hours, I live in Texas so some of that is for ESL classes) under my belt. Is there anything else I should be worried about before applying? I understand public school jobs are a bit harder to get than they used to be, but I'd still prefer to attempt to get one rather then going through a Hagwon (at least for my first year...).

I should be done with my TEFL certification in early February, it shouldn't be too late to apply for August positions, right?

Yes, you can apply for both simultaneously. Doesn't look like you have anything to worry about qualifications wise, but check the OP for my post.

You should apply as early as you can regardless of when you finish the TEFL course, I know at least with EPIK, you can verify the certificate at a later date. So it's not necessary to wait while you complete the course, earlier the better.

Jaffaboy

Nah, sounds like you're all set! I'd suggest going through a free recruitment agency though like Footprints or Canadian Connections, it'll make the application process much easier, and they will suggest other options to you. I didn't get in with epik but I got my job directly to my city's education office (Ulsan) through Footprints.

Laieon

Yes, you can apply for both simultaneously. Doesn't look like you have anything to worry about qualifications wise, but check the OP for my post.

You should apply as early as you can regardless of when you finish the TEFL course, I know at least with EPIK, you can verify the certificate at a later date. So it's not necessary to wait while you complete the course, earlier the better.

Sounds good, will do! By the time they setup an interview (if they setup an interview) I'll have the certification completed anyway, so I'll go ahead and get on that.

Nah, sounds like you're all set! I'd suggest going through a free recruitment agency though like Footprints or Canadian Connections, it'll make the application process much easier, and they will suggest other options to you. I didn't get in with epik but I got my job directly to my city's education office (Ulsan) through Footprints.

I already have a couple recruiters in mind! The application process seems a bit complicated, so the more help/reminders I can get the better.

Necrovex

Results are in:
http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/pdfs/2014_JET_Program_Interview_Candidates.pdf

No go for me. :(

I'm devastated, I really want to know why I didn't get an interview.

Yeah, I didn't get in either; it was my second time applying too. My application was a lot stronger this year too, and heaven knows I spent enough time on my statement. That heartbreak is as strong as last year. Damn. :'-(

Looks like I'll be staying the course and improving my Peace Corps credentials.

Time to contact some of my bros to hit up a bar tonight so I can cool off a little.

Yeah, I didn't get in either; it was my second time applying too. My application was a lot stronger this year too, and heaven knows I spent enough time on my statement. That heartbreak is as strong as last year. Damn. :'-(

Looks like I'll be staying the course and improving my Peace Corps credentials.

Time to contact some of my bros to hit up a bar tonight so I can cool off a little.

First time bro, and my application was great! I had 2 incredible recommendations and 7 years of experience training people at my job and teaching classes as well.

I really wish they would let us know why we couldn't get in.

Necrovex

First time bro, and my application was great! I had 2 incredible recommendations and 7 years of experience training people at my job and teaching classes as well.

I really wish they would let us know why we couldn't get in.

I can accept failure (well after a day or so as the disappoint vapors). However when I have no way to learn from my failures, then that eats away at me. I need to learn from my mistake, so I don't repeat them. This announcement has smacked me in the face as I examine my current life.

Porcile

I haven't even heard back about my UK application, yet. The wait is slightly agonising, I just want an answer. :-(

matt360

Guys that didn't get in -- it really says nothing about your qualifications. It really is a crapshoot. I lucked out back in 2006, but there were plenty of people who were more qualified than me who didn't get in, and then a lot of bozos who did get in.

It sucks for sure, but it really is more like a lottery system than anything else.

Hrm. Based on other statements of purpose I read online, I kinda figured I had landing an interview in the bag.

I am not on the list. Sigh.

I can accept failure (well after a day or so as the disappoint vapors). However when I have no way to learn from my failures, then that eats away at me. I need to learn from my mistake, so I don't repeat them. This announcement has smacked me in the face as I examine my current life.

I feel ya, bro.

Porcile

Are there any current UK JET applicants or actual UK JET participants in this thread? If so, do JET contact you via email as well as letter about whether you are successful in getting in an interview?

lupinko

Are there any current UK JET applicants or actual UK JET participants in this thread? If so, do JET contact you via email as well as letter about whether you are successful in getting in an interview?

I don't know about the UK but for Canadians we got an email for interview confirmation.

Mononoke

Banned
You sadly missed the deadline by a few months. Everything had to be turned in by late November. Hell the UK peeps are finally getting told if they'll have an interview. Us American peeps still have a few more weeks of waiting.

If you got into JET for 2015, you'll be waiting for about a year and a half before going to Japan.

Ah, I'm thinking of just going with a private company. Despite the downsides. I'm just at a place in my life, where I really feel like I need to be independent and have change in my surroundings. I'm one of those types that needs a push. I just graduated College, and I feel so bored, and so confused. I know going to Japan won't solve everything. And to put it all on something like that, would be disastrous.

But I need to grow up. I need to separate from my family, and be my own person. I think living away from them in college definitely helped, but my major was so difficult, that I never had time to even get out and do stuff, because I was so absorbed in work. I dunno, this just feels right to me. JET sounds amazing, but a year and a half? And that's IF I even got picked.

On the plus side, my brother is over there now doing ALT with Nova. We only found out after the fact that they aren't the best company (I think they even went bankrupt at some point?). But so far he's loved his situation. And he had another friend that had been with them for 3 years now, and had no issue. So while they might not pay as much as some of the others, and their past is sort of..marked, it's not so bad.

I was strongly considering applying with Interac. Just because I hear nothing good things about them. Apart of me considered applying with my brothers company, just because it might give me a leg up in getting hired. And I would probably be closer to him. But I guess that kind of goes against myself being more independent (although I will be living by myself, and having my own schedule regardless. So I doubt even if I did live near him, I would be spending most of my time with him. The only benefit is that we could hang out on our days off, or see each other every once in a while. Plus he could make my transition there easier, because unlike JET, private companies seem to leave you on your own (at least, that was my brothers experience).

Anyways, that's my rant. I guess I should get the ball rolling soon. I need to fill out the paperwork on whatever company I go with. And then get the Visa (if I pass the interview phase). It only took my brother 6 months to sign up, and go to Japan. He actually could have went in 3, but kind of dragged his feet, as he spent time thinking about whether it was the right decision.

Mononoke

Banned
Oops didn't mean to make a second post.

Edit: but god I'm hearing nightmare stories about Nova. I'll have to talk to my brother and make sure that is his company. He's had a good experience so far, but now I'm sort of worried for him. :/

Interac seems like the best based on what I've read (I mean for private companies). But I've heard some nightmare experiences there too. I guess it's luck of the draw? Does anyone else have advice for going private, if I can't do JET? Is it better looking on sites like Gaijin pot and seeing if local boards are hiring?

watershed

Banned
Is 220,000 a month an alright salary in Korea?

Also, how difficult is is finding an apartment that accepts a cat?

If you aren't paying rent then that is fine as a starting salary for teaching English. Depends on the position and other details though. Also, provided you mean 2.2 million won.

lupinko

I just picked up my work visa today, it's part of my passport now. I leave on Tuesday straight from YVR to NRT. Oh unless anyone else offered or objects, I can do the JapanGAF OT.

decaf

Question for JETs who've returned home:

How long did you have to wait for your pension refund? I had all my documents in around the start of September and haven't received any word on the refund.

Shouta

Question for JETs who've returned home:

How long did you have to wait for your pension refund? I had all my documents in around the start of September and haven't received any word on the refund.

Took about 8-9 months to get all of it back for me. It was about 5-6 months before I first heard about the large chunk of it (the 20% was sent to me by my old supervisor later). It'd be best to keep it in mind and check with the government if you're considered. i think they have a phone number for it.

Well I'm on the plane now, there's still a part of me that is in disbelief, daymn.

Have fun! =o

I'm interested in applying for these. It's my dream to go to Japan I've been in love with the culture since I was little. However, I don't have a bachelors degree because I haven't started college yet. Do you guys think I have a good chance?
Most of the programs I see involve me having a bachelors are there any that don't? I feel like my dream is being crushed here lol.

I'm interested in applying for these. It's my dream to go to Japan I've been in love with the culture since I was little. However, I don't have a bachelors degree because I haven't started college yet. Do you guys think I have a good chance?
Most of the programs I see involve me having a bachelors are there any that don't? I feel like my dream is being crushed here lol.
It's not a problem with the programs, it's a visa requirement im pretty sure :( you could get a working holiday visa and teach with that, or there could be some programs that allow you to teach without a degree - id be careful of those though. Or if youre still young you can apply for an exchange there or even the monbukagakusho scholarship which will basically pay for everything and allow you to do a bachelor's there. Gotta be under 21 though.

Mononoke

Banned
So, I'm moving out to Japan in April. Just got hired by a private Eikaiwa company (same as my brother). Not sure exactly where I'll be in Tokyo. I'm going in with a completely open mind. Obviously I wish I could have went with JET. But at least I'll have my brother near me, so we can help each other out. But my obvious goal is to reach out and meet other people. So I'll be doing my best to really get out there, and meet people. I know there can be downsides to my job, but from what I've seen it's a luck of the draw. My brother currently is really happy, and only has to go to ONE place for work, and has a full schedule. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll get a similar situation.

Worst case scenario, I can tough it out for 6 months if I get a raw deal. It's not the end of the world, and I'll just make the best of it. ANYWAYS, pretty excited. I don't know a lick of Japanese, and figured I would start trying to learn now. I know there is no way you can actually learn Japanese in that short amount of time, and I'm not looking for a quick fix. Just something to get the ball rolling. It's something I'm going to pursue heavily when I'm here (on my down time). Unfortunately, you aren't allowed to speak Japanese when on the job. So I know what to expect, and DO NOT think that I'll suddenly learn Japanese by being there. It's a difficult language, and it will take a lot of practice. Which is why I want to get into a habit of doing it 4-5 hours a day.

Porcile

So, I'm moving out to Japan in April. Just got hired by a private Eikaiwa company (same as my brother). Not sure exactly where I'll be in Tokyo. I'm going in with a completely open mind. Obviously I wish I could have went with JET. But at least I'll have my brother near me, so we can help each other out. But my obvious goal is to reach out and meet other people. So I'll be doing my best to really get out there, and meet people. I know there can be downsides to my job, but from what I've seen it's a luck of the draw. My brother currently is really happy, and only has to go to ONE place for work, and has a full schedule. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll get a similar situation.

Worst case scenario, I can tough it out for 6 months if I get a raw deal. It's not the end of the world, and I'll just make the best of it. ANYWAYS, pretty excited. I don't know a lick of Japanese, and figured I would start trying to learn now. I know there is no way you can actually learn Japanese in that short amount of time, and I'm not looking for a quick fix. Just something to get the ball rolling. It's something I'm going to pursue heavily when I'm here (on my down time). Unfortunately, you aren't allowed to speak Japanese when on the job. So I know what to expect, and DO NOT think that I'll suddenly learn Japanese by being there. It's a difficult language, and it will take a lot of practice. Which is why I want to get into a habit of doing it 4-5 hours a day.

Did you go with Interac? I'm thinking of applying in March, after applying to JET, I've realised how much I want to do this, but I get the feeling JET won't come through for me, so I'm looking at alternate options. How was the whole process?

lupinko

Well my first day of school is almost done, I just started a PowerPoint for my jikoshoukai. I'll complete it at home. I have to update and change up my predecessor's teaching materials too.

decaf

Took about 8-9 months to get all of it back for me. It was about 5-6 months before I first heard about the large chunk of it (the 20% was sent to me by my old supervisor later). It'd be best to keep it in mind and check with the government if you're considered. i think they have a phone number for it.
Thanks Shouta. I'm at five months now so I should hopefully get it in this month then.

Anyone here go back for a second round of JET?

urfe

Been slowly peeking into OT recently.

Taught English in Japan for 5 years or so. English coversation school for a year and a private high school for 4 years. Really fun and fulfilling. (Now a stressed out salaryman)

Feeling nostalgic here. Look forward to hear people's new impressions. :)

caesar

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZEA54VJEdE

Foaloal

I was just thinking about bn1's Namasensei videos as I read this thread.

I haven't watched his videos in a long time, I can't believe he's got so many views now.

I used to watch him when he first came out with Smash Bros. Brawl videos, and I stuck around to watch his cooking show and some other material he came out with. I had a bit of a swearing problem briefly from watching his videos so much.

I don't know if his videos actually teach much, but I can still count to 10 in Japanese thanks to a song he made that I watched years ago.

caesar

Banned
I was just thinking about bn1's Namasensei videos as I read this thread.

I haven't watched his videos in a long time, I can't believe he's got so many views now.

I used to watch him when he first came out with Smash Bros. Brawl videos, and I stuck around to watch his cooking show and some other material he came out with. I had a bit of a swearing problem briefly from watching his videos so much.

I don't know if his videos actually teach much, but I can still count to 10 in Japanese thanks to a song he made that I watched years ago.

Keeps you engaged if nothing else. I wish there was something similar for Korean.

Hrm. Based on other statements of purpose I read online, I kinda figured I had landing an interview in the bag.

I am not on the list. Sigh.

I feel ya, bro.

Sorry to hear that, man.

To anyone who didn't get through and wants to try again: I think it's important that, rather than just making sure you hit all the bullet points, you really consider your reasons for applying and believe in them when you write them. It's also important that you convey the type of person you are, more than your traditional qualifications. I guess what each consulate wants depends upon on the people who work there, but this is absolutely what I came away with when speaking to the head of the JET program at the consulate in my state. I had met him several times at events and a JET information session before applying—do you have that sort of opportunity available to you? They usually go around speaking at the universities throughout their host state.

lupinko

I'll be honest I think I'm still dreaming. I'm just waiting for me to wake up in my office in Vancouver, any moment now.

Munin

Have any of you unsuccessful JET applicants considered teaching in Taiwan? The barrier of entry isn't nearly as high, the place (especially around Taipei) is very heavily influenced by Japanese culture (food/restaurants/clothing/stores/hot springs etc), there's quite a few Japanese exchange students, and you can make pretty inexpensive trips to Japan. So basically the closest to Japan without being Japan.

I'm not a teacher myself here so no idea about salaries but apparently it's easy to live pretty comfortably here on that kind of salary.

lupinko

I just met one of my Junior High School classes, nice bunch but during a vocabulary game and exercise one of then wrote "sex" and it was awkward even for the Japanese Teacher of English. I just said I read that angled x as a t so it was read as "set" instead.

Porcile

Dem feels of rejection! Unsuccessful UK JET applicant here. I'm disappointed but was certainly starting to feel the strain of the whole waiting process, so in some ways I'm glad it's over for the time being and I can get on and plan ahead. Onwards and upwards. :)

Danchi

Another unsuccessful UK applicant here. I'll be honest, reading some of the posts the last few days kinda grounded me for disappointed. I'm fresh out of University and not nearly as experienced as some of you. I originally really thought I'd get an interview too. I did take a Japanese language module at University and I volunteered at my local college to try and better my chances.

It's something I still really want to do though. I'm gonna get a TEFL qualification and look into some other companies/try JET again next year.

Best of luck to those who got through!

Meesh

I was reading the OP, but I failed to see exactly what prerequisites or certificates are required to teach in Japan. Do you need extensive college or other additional courses, or does it boil down to references and general work experience? As a tradesman myself who's always dreamed of working or living in Japan most of my "teaching" and references would obviously come from that field. Any advice as to how I could accomplish landing a teaching gig with construction background?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom