• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds about right. At least one will try to throw you with an odd request or question that puts you on the spot. I'd say maintaining your composure is more than half the battle at this interview.

As for lifers... he could linger on. The JET I replaced was 40+, had done JET twice and was slinking to some other kind of ESL occupation when I replaced him.

Lol, I've been trying to frame this as a "battle for my composure" in my head. But hopefully I get nice ones, like Bubble Metro suggested.

Yeah, but what I mean is that there would probably be some sort of divide between the JET and non-JET ESL stuff unless it's possible to "quit" and then be re-hired by the same school outside of the capacity of JET somehow. But I don't have any first hand knowledge so I'm likely talking out of my ass. : p

lupinko

Really? How do you like Sendai?

I like the snow and ice, actually, although Sendai really needs to buy some damn snow plows and salt.

My bad I was in Narita on the 29th I got to Sendai on the 30th but semantics aside I really like it here so far. I'm trying to find more mom and pop used game shops or used stores like hard off for electronics, I only found like one of the former so far near Kotodaikouen. I need a tv to use the ps3 and Wii basically and I'd rather not have to buy new for that at yodobashi or online if used can be cheaper.

Surprised that the Tsutaya near Sendai station is only limited to video, music and books. The one in Osaka I went to also had games but that one was a lot larger.

If Tokyo is a no go, then China definitely has the positions.

Rates for business english in cities like Shanghai or Beijing can start at 18'000 RMB per month and demand is high. Whilst many ads will ask for people with Tefls or teaching experience, you should probably have no trouble getting a job with your qualifications.

Wow, that is better than the Tokyo jobs I was looking at.
I will look into China, too, then. Sounds very promising.

I'll also try to work any connections I have to Tokyo for more of the business english angle. I wonder if law firms there would want me, or if they hire people to teach english if they are international.

Daft_Cat

How old are you guys?

I'm graduating from my masters degree next year (it's in film production), and I was thinking about taking a gap year (at least) to live and teach in Japan before joining the ugly world of freelance back home in Canada/US. I think it'd be a great life experience, and an effective palette cleanser. Catch is, I'll be at the tail end of 24 when I graduate, and I'll have just turned 25 by the time the school year starts.

Is that a bit too old? I know a lot of people do this straight out of undergrad, which was a couple years ago for me.

Necrovex

I'm curious if anyone has ever used International Teaching Advantage to obtain a job in China? Curious to know how legit they are.

Also anyone with first hand experience with Interac?

I'm curious if anyone has ever used International Teaching Advantage to obtain a job in China? Curious to know how legit they are.

Typically I say avoid agencies that hook you up with jobs in China. Half the time you'll have the school and the agency working together to screw you over. Also, the agency is most likely going to take a cut of what should be YOUR pay.

That said, I know my way around China, can speak the language (somewhat) and have friends in various parts of the country. It's sounds daunting, but if you can establish those kind of basic things first, you're standing on much better ground to search for jobs in China by yourself, find what's good and what's shady, negotiate contracts, and all that good stuff.

edit: looks like that agency is charging a $400 "service fee." Yeah, fuck 'em. You're much better off responding to online classifieds. Or, even better, if you have the money, plan a trip to China that also involves you looking for jobs. The trip itself will be an awesome experience, and you'll find your footing as far as living/working there goes. Jobs are everywhere, and EVERYONE will want to hire you, so finding one isn't the trouble. Finding a GOOD one, though, can take some work.

Necrovex

Typically I say avoid agencies that hook you up with jobs in China. Half the time you'll have the school and the agency working together to screw you over. Also, the agency is most likely going to take a cut of what should be YOUR pay.

That said, I know my way around China, can speak the language (somewhat) and have friends in various parts of the country. It's sounds daunting, but if you can establish those kind of basic things first, you're standing on much better ground to search for jobs in China by yourself, find what's good and what's shady, negotiate contracts, and all that good stuff.

edit: looks like that agency is charging a $400 "service fee." Yeah, fuck 'em. You're much better off responding to online classifieds. Or, even better, if you have the money, plan a trip to China that also involves you looking for jobs. The trip itself will be an awesome experience, and you'll find your footing as far as living/working there goes. Jobs are everywhere, and EVERYONE will want to hire you, so finding one isn't the trouble. Finding a GOOD one, though, can take some work.

Appreciate the advice and the heads up involving job hunting in China. I decided to look in China, along with Japan with possible teaching avenues. I have the Rosetta Stone version of Chinese, so I could use that to help me out a little bit with learning the *very* basic, though I doubt that would be enough due to the improper teaching of grammar.

My lone friendship/connection is in Japan. He's a professor at Toyo University. He is trying to get me out to Japan, since he knows I would love the place there. He can't really do much for me until I reach the country though, which is why I am looking at Interac. I also know enough Japanese to get me by.

Appreciate the advice and the heads up involving job hunting in China. I decided to look in China, along with Japan with possible teaching avenues. I have the Rosetta Stone version of Chinese, so I could use that to help me out a little bit with learning the *very* basic, though I doubt that would be enough due to the improper teaching of grammar.

My lone friendship/connection is in Japan. He's a professor at Toyo University. He is trying to get me out to Japan, since he knows I would love the place there. He can't really do much for me until I reach the country though, which is why I am looking at Interac. I also know enough Japanese to get me by.

Rosetta Stone will get you further than you think. I speak only enough to get by in daily life and pick up on the general meaning of conversations, but not enough to converse fluently. I do fine in China. If I were to commit to the RS thing and stop being lazy, I would be a lot better.

As far as making friends there, I dunno. I once met a really cool girl from Sichuan on OKCupid, haha. We're good friends now. Turned out she's in charge of hiring foreign teachers at her school, though I didn't take the job there. I don't wanna say that's a big option, and I doubt you'll have many meaningful interactions on a site like that, but you could meet some nice people. Worth a try if it doesn't sound completely weird and awkward to you. I guess there's also /r/China but I have no experience with reddit, really. I think if you reach out and look for it you can easily find people in China who'd like to make international friends. Though I'd be cautious about any sites designed expressly for that purpose; that kinda weirds me out. Having Chinese friends can make a HUGE difference in your moving abroad experience, though. You do have to be careful with meeting people you met online, especially in a foreign country, for obvious reasons, but it's always worked out for me. Have some street smarts, look out for scams (they're usually obvious), know some basic Chinese, and be open to things defying all your expectations, and you can go far in that country.

Just understand that if you care a lot about comforts, cleanliness, and manners/formalities, then I'd strongly encourage you to choose Japan over China. If you like adventure, excitement, general craziness, endless possibilities, and virtually non-existent cost of living/travel then I'd say China.

Necrovex

Rosetta Stone will get you further than you think. I speak only enough to get by in daily life and pick up on the general meaning of conversations, but not enough to converse fluently. I do fine in China. If I were to commit to the RS thing and stop being lazy, I would be a lot better.

As far as making friends there, I dunno. I once met a really cool girl from Sichuan on OKCupid, haha. We're good friends now. Turned out she's in charge of hiring foreign teachers at her school, though I didn't take the job there. I don't wanna say that's a big option, and I doubt you'll have many meaningful interactions on a site like that, but you could meet some nice people. Worth a try if it doesn't sound completely weird and awkward to you. I guess there's also /r/China but I have no experience with reddit, really. I think if you reach out and look for it you can easily find people in China who'd like to make international friends. Though I'd be cautious about any sites designed expressly for that purpose; that kinda weirds me out. Having Chinese friends can make a HUGE difference in your moving abroad experience, though. You do have to be careful with meeting people you met online, especially in a foreign country, for obvious reasons, but it's always worked out for me. Have some street smarts, look out for scams (they're usually obvious), know some basic Chinese, and be open to things defying all your expectations, and you can go far in that country.

Just understand that if you care a lot about comforts, cleanliness, and manners/formalities, then I'd strongly encourage you to choose Japan over China. If you like adventure, excitement, general craziness, endless possibilities, and virtually non-existent cost of living/travel then I'd say China.

I've used Rosetta Stone for Japanese. When I first used it, it was completely useless. My second attempt with it was much more successful due to me learning the very basics of Japanese and knowing the grammatical structure.

China sounds like a fantastic spot, and I have been wanting to study Mandarin. When I gather enough money, I may follow your advice and just fly there for a vacation (and job hunting at an university).

I decided to look at Korea again. I know a woman who lives in Seoul, so I wouldn't be without any friends there. I recall EPIK used to require college graduates to have a TESOL or CELTA certification to apply (if the graduate didn't have a degree in education or English). I am looking at the site now, and I cannot find this requirement anywhere. I see the salary range is altered if someone has a certification. Other than that, I cannot find any info that requires an applicant to have one. Can anyone confirm if someone like me, a college graduate in a social science, being able to apply to EPIK now? If this is the case, I have no reason not to apply to it, as I can probably find two people to write me recommendations (my former boss and a former professor). The certification was my only barrier until now.

Laieon

I've used Rosetta Stone for Japanese. When I first used it, it was completely useless. My second attempt with it was much more successful due to me learning the very basics of Japanese and knowing the grammatical structure.

China sounds like a fantastic spot, and I have been wanting to study Mandarin. When I gather enough money, I may follow your advice and just fly there for a vacation (and job hunting at an university).

I decided to look at Korea again. I know a woman who lives in Seoul, so I wouldn't be without any friends there. I recall EPIK used to require college graduates to have a TESOL or CELTA certification to apply (if the graduate didn't have a degree in education or English). I am looking at the site now, and I cannot find this requirement anywhere. I see the salary range is altered if someone has a certification. Other than that, I cannot find any info that requires an applicant to have one. Can anyone confirm if someone like me, a college graduate in a social science, being able to apply to EPIK now? If this is the case, I have no reason not to apply to it, as I can probably find two people to write me recommendations (my former boss and a former professor). The certification was my only barrier until now.

I'm currently going through the EPIK application process, you won't be able to apply if you don't have a TESOL/TEFL with your degree. Right now, it looks like you just qualify for level 3, and they aren't hiring those right now (You need a BA+TESOL/TEFL to qualify for level 2).

http://www.epik.go.kr/contents.do?contentsNo=49&menuNo=278

I just finished my TESOL/TEFL course last week, and I know my recruiter says you'll have 'till June to get it in. It really didn't take too long, if you're willing to do one.

Necrovex

I'm currently going through the EPIK application process, you won't be able to apply if you don't have a TESOL/TEFL with your degree. Right now, it looks like you just qualify for level 3, and they aren't hiring those right now (You need a BA+TESOL/TEFL to qualify for level 2).

http://www.epik.go.kr/contents.do?contentsNo=49&menuNo=278

I just finished my TESOL/TEFL course last week, and I know my recruiter says you'll have 'till June to get it in. It really didn't take too long, if you're willing to do one.

I knew there was some kind of catch, though I could go with EPIK if I stayed in a rural area for one contract year.

I've thought about getting my TESOL/TEFL certification. A few months back, money was an issue, but that is less of a concern now due to having a decent chunk of change in my bank account. There are several options on the TEFL site, and I'm curious which one I should select. What did you pick? If I can avoid paying a grand for a certification, I certainly would like that!
Edit: Would the advanced level be sufficient, or should I go for the expert level?

Laieon

I knew there was some kind of catch, though I could go with EPIK if I stayed in a rural area for one contract year.

I've thought about getting my TESOL/TEFL certification. A few months back, money was an issue, but that is less of a concern now due to having a decent chunk of change in my bank account. There are several options on the TEFL site, and I'm curious which one I should select. What did you pick? If I can avoid paying a grand for a certification, I certainly would like that!
Edit: Would the advanced level be sufficient, or should I go for the expert level?

I felt the same way, I didn't really want to spend too much for something that isn't too useful in the states. I ended up going with this company's 120hr course after someone else recommended them to me and I don't really have any complaints. It covered lesson planning, discipline, classroom management, teaching methodologies, etc. The tutor that was assigned to me actually turned out to be pretty cool too and took almost no time getting back to me.

If I get to Korea and decide I want to spend more than a year or two there, I'll probably get a CELTA too. I'm going through a recruiter just so that I'll know I did everything correctly, and they told me that the course I took will be more than fine, as long as I don't want to teach in Busan (because apparently it's education office also wants X amount of classroom hours).

Necrovex

I felt the same way, I didn't really want to spend too much for something that isn't too useful in the states. I ended up going with this company's 120hr course after someone else recommended them to me and I don't really have any complaints. It covered lesson planning, discipline, classroom management, teaching methodologies, etc. The tutor that was assigned to me actually turned out to be pretty cool too and took almost no time getting back to me.

If I get to Korea and decide I want to spend more than a year or two there, I'll probably get a CELTA too. I'm going through a recruiter just so that I'll know I did everything correctly, and they told me that the course I took will be more than fine, as long as I don't want to teach in Busan (because apparently it's education office also wants X amount of classroom hours).

This looks like right up my alley. $265 certainly won't break the bank; I got a major refund from my old university which will cover it. I'll look more into applying to EPIK and getting a ESOL certification from the company you mentioned unless anyone has objections. I appreciate the help!

Guru-Guru

Banned
I usually have a decent amount of classes per week on JET (20-25), but due to final exams I have no classes in March at my base school. I also don't have a computer at the base school...No clue what I am going to do this coming month. Unlike my Japanese coworkers, I am terrible at looking like I have a million things to do.

Kind of off-topic, but does anybody else think we should have a community for those of us living in Japan? Seems to be a decent amount of expats over here.

Kind of off-topic, but does anybody else think we should have a community for those of us living in Japan? Seems to be a decent amount of expats over here.

Most foreigners in Japan are too busy being cooler than the other Gaijin. That's the impression I got anyway.

Guru-Guru

Banned
It's been mentioned before in other threads too but no one has taken the time to do one up. Go for it!
I'm hoping somebody will pop up and say "sounds like a great idea! I will make the thread!" I want a community thread, but too lazy to actually put the effort in myself. Maybe someday...

lupinko

I offered to make a community thread but I still don't have my home internet set up yet. I got Softbank's Yahoo BB Hikari ready but I don't have NTT's fiber optic modem set up either. :/

Guru-Guru

Banned
I offered to make a community thread but I still don't have my home internet set up yet. I got Softbank's Yahoo BB Hikari ready but I don't have NTT's fiber optic modem set up either. :/
Yeah, it's weird how long it can take to setup internet here. I was lucky (for some reason) and had internet a week after moving in, but other ALT's had to wait a couple months. If you do eventually make that community thread I will be all up in it!

What are good certifications or courses I should look into or take I improve my chances of landing a English teaching position in Japan. I really need to brush up on the basics of English.

I made some friends out there and speak/read at an intermediate level.

Thanks

Anyone have any tips for writing a cover letter for, say, Interac? I want to get my info in ASAP for the fall recruitment, but any advice would be appreciated.

I think I will have a phone interview with Interac coming up soon. I passed the first round (checking resumes). What is the cost of living like near, but outside of, Tokyo? Would I be able to save a bunch of cash?

Also, anyone know what kind of interview questions they ask? I'm usually pretty good at interviews, but I think their Japanese division is going to be handling it since I'm located in Bangkok atm.

lupinko

I got my NTT modem finally, so I should be able to have a JapanGAF OT up. Well sometime this weekend, I'm seeing my sannensei graduate tomorrow morning. I only knew those kids for a month and they wrote me really charming letters in English too! I'm not the type to feel for this kind of stuff but them feels, them feels.

My bad I was in Narita on the 29th I got to Sendai on the 30th but semantics aside I really like it here so far. I'm trying to find more mom and pop used game shops or used stores like hard off for electronics, I only found like one of the former so far near Kotodaikouen. I need a tv to use the ps3 and Wii basically and I'd rather not have to buy new for that at yodobashi or online if used can be cheaper.

Surprised that the Tsutaya near Sendai station is only limited to video, music and books. The one in Osaka I went to also had games but that one was a lot larger.

This might be a bit of a callous question and I'm sorry if it comes off as rude, but are you at all worried about the radiation levels in Sendai? I'd love to go up to Northern Japan as the countryside and landscapes there look absolutely stunning but I'm quite concerned about travelling North of Tokyo. I'm not completely in the loop about how the levels are nowadays though. Is it safe up there?

Looking forward to your Japan OT btw :) I'm moving to Kobe in a few weeks.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I got my NTT modem finally, so I should be able to have a JapanGAF OT up. Well sometime this weekend, I'm seeing my sannensei graduate tomorrow morning. I only knew those kids for a month and they wrote me really charming letters in English too! I'm not the type to feel for this kind of stuff but them feels, them feels.
Cool, I look forward to posting in the OT.

Today was my last class with my grade 1 students at elementary school. Sure, I will see them as grade 2 students in April, but that didn't stop them from giving me a giant group hug, handshakes, and letters. I understand catching all those feels, man.

I don't have a degree or much qualifications, the only thing i have is 7 years teaching experience in a primary school in the UK and 2 years teaching experience in a special needs school , i never really thought about teaching in China but the jobs in my area are so dead that i thought what the hell and i posted my CV online .

After last weekend i surprisingly had quite a lot of emails interested in giving me an interview , i told every single one of them that i dont have a degree and that i only have 9 years teaching experience altogether , some of them have not replied back but 2 schools are very interested in hiring me ,

I gave 1 interview last week which was set up through an agency called Click China Cultural Exchange Co., Ltd, has anyone dealt with this agency before ?

Today in the morning i got an email from this agency saying the School wants to offer me a place to start in August, the email had the contract attached and after that they also sent me the other documents to fill in .

Today i also had an interview with Learning and Culture Education Group which to me do not seem like an agency and i'm pretty sure i'm dealing directly with the School .

I think i've been successful with the Learning and Culture Education Group interview as they have said they well talk to me tomorrow again, and regarding the Visa they said they would be sponsoring me , so i'm assuming that they are going to take care of the Visa or well i have to do it myself ?

So this is the first time i'm doing this and i honestly have no idea what to expect out of this

Necrovex

I don't have a degree or much qualifications, the only thing i have is 7 years teaching experience in a primary school in the UK and 2 years teaching experience in a special needs school , i never really thought about teaching in China but the jobs in my area are so dead that i thought what the hell and i posted my CV online .

After last weekend i surprisingly had quite a lot of emails interested in giving me an interview , i told every single one of them that i dont have a degree and that i only have 9 years teaching experience altogether , some of them have not replied back but 2 schools are very interested in hiring me ,

I gave 1 interview last week which was set up through an agency called Click China Cultural Exchange Co., Ltd, has anyone dealt with this agency before ?

Today in the morning i got an email from this agency saying the School wants to offer me a place to start in August, the email had the contract attached and after that they also sent me the other documents to fill in .

Today i also had an interview with Learning and Culture Education Group which to me do not seem like an agency and i'm pretty sure i'm dealing directly with the School .

I think i've been successful with the Learning and Culture Education Group interview as they have said they well talk to me tomorrow again, and regarding the Visa they said they would be sponsoring me , so i'm assuming that they are going to take care of the Visa or well i have to do it myself ?

So this is the first time i'm doing this and i honestly have no idea what to expect out of this

From my understanding, make sure you get the *right* visa, some companies will attempt to screw you in this regard. I believe you should be aiming to get a Z Visa.

I also recommend googling each company to find out if it is truly legit.

WoodWERD

Do your research before you jump into anything. Given your qualifications they're likely to put you out in the boonies where schools are desperate. These provinces may also be willing to bend the rules a bit in order to get you a visa, since nobody else really wants to move out there. Recruiters are a mixed bag; some say to contact the schools directly and cut the middleman, while others say they're fine. I personally have dealt with a few recruiters by email but ended up finding my current gig by myself. At the very least, ask the recruiter/school for email addresses of current foreign teachers so you can get some real opinions about teaching out there. Good luck.

And ask them what type of visa they're sponsoring you for. You need a Z-visa to teach legally, but some places will ask you to come over on a business/tourist visa while promising to get it converted once you're in country. The stories I read say this is becoming more difficult due to new visa restrictions as of last year, so again a mixed bag.

sohois

What kind of pay/conditions are they offering you, if you don't mind me asking?

Regarding the visa, the schools should send you documents that you'll then need to take to the Chinese visa application office in London to apply for a Z Visa.

supergiz

How much do you have to put away per month on a teachers salary to have enough for a late retirement? I'm 30 now.

I just wonder how teachers do it who work until they are retired.

7 years experience in a UK school should get you basically any job you want in china. all you need is to get a TEFL certificate which you can do quickly and easily.

WoodWERD

How much do you have to put away per month on a teachers salary to have enough for a late retirement? I'm 30 now.

I just wonder how teachers do it who work until they are retired.

That number is different for everyone. You may want to visit the planning for retirement thread.

I don't have a degree or much qualifications, the only thing i have is 7 years teaching experience in a primary school in the UK and 2 years teaching experience in a special needs school , i never really thought about teaching in China but the jobs in my area are so dead that i thought what the hell and i posted my CV online.

Where did you post your CV?

lupinko

So placement wise, I was thinking of going for Hiroshima or around that prefecture, otherwise Matsumoto. And for a third... Kobe? Nagoya? Where you Japanese JETs at?

I asked in order for Nerima (Tokyo), Mito, and Yokohama, Nerima because I have close friends there, Mito because it's decent distance from Tokyo and gets me closer there, and Yokohama because it's Vancouver's sister city and I also have friends there.

But I ended up with Sendai, which is a big city and a 2 hour Shinkansen trip to Tokyo, this being their worst winter in years aside, it is so far the best result for me.

I only eyed the eastern part of Japan due to most of my Japanese friends being from there. If I didn't have said friends I would have picked nothing but Kansai cities.

What kind of pay/conditions are they offering you, if you don't mind me asking?

Regarding the visa, the schools should send you documents that you'll then need to take to the Chinese visa application office in London to apply for a Z Visa.

The Learning and Culture Education Group has replied back with an offer today which is

5000 yuan per month for first 3 months, and then at 6000 yuan per month

it's free accommodation and work meals and in the email it also says exclusive utility bills and management fees around 80-100yuan a month, so i'm assuming i'll be paying the Utility bills out of my own pocket ?

I also get free life insurance and it says flight allowance (12 month contract) ???

and then the surprising thing is it says work visa provided and none criminal record/CRB check, medical check is required on arrival ???

At the end of the email it's to apply for a F visa as i dont have a degree or TEFL

The area that i well be teaching in is Changsha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changsha

Now the pay for the other offer i got yesterday is 8000 RMB , plus 1000 RMB per month as the housing subsidy, so i am kind leaning towards yesterdays offer BUT like you guys have said the agency is likely to get a cut of my pay AND they want me to apply for a Z Visa which i think i am likely to get declined for .

What do you guy's think ?

BTW i posted my CV at dave's esl cafe .

sohois

The Learning and Culture Education Group has replied back with an offer today which is

it's free accommodation and work meals and in the email it also says exclusive utility bills and management fees around 80-100yuan a month, so i'm assuming i'll be paying the Utility bills out of my own pocket ?

I also get free life insurance and it says flight allowance (12 month contract) ???

and then the surprising thing is it says work visa provided and none criminal record/CRB check, medical check is required on arrival ???

At the end of the email it's to apply for a F visa as i dont have a degree or TEFL

The area that i well be teaching in is Changsha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changsha

Now the pay for the other offer i got yesterday is 8000 RMB , plus 1000 RMB per month as the housing subsidy, so i am kind leaning towards yesterdays offer BUT like you guys have said the agency is likely to get a cut of my pay AND they want me to apply for a Z Visa which i think i am likely to get declined for .

You are getting ripped the fuck off for both positions. Do not take either one.You should be looking at 10000 minimum with your experience - though it can be difficult to find positions like that, you might have to wait it out a little.

For one thing, daves esl is not the best place to look, it's ok for beginners but you can have much higher aims, even without TEFL or teaching degree. I would go to seriousteachers.com for better offers.

But if you can't afford to wait around, also don't be afraid to negotiate. Tell them their offers are unacceptable, that you must have a Z visa, no agency cut, more money, etc. Push them as hard you can, they have little choice with the demand for teachers. Bear in mind things like ' health insurance', 'flight allowance', 'utility fees' are standard with pretty much every contract, don't even consider them in your decision

WoodWERD

The Learning and Culture Education Group has replied back with an offer today which is 5000 yuan per month for first 3 months, and then at 6000 yuan per month

it's free accommodation and work meals and in the email it also says exclusive utility bills and management fees around 80-100yuan a month, so i'm assuming i'll be paying the Utility bills out of my own pocket ? I also get free life insurance and it says flight allowance (12 month contract) ??? and then the surprising thing is it says work visa provided and none criminal record/CRB check, medical check is required on arrival ???

>snip<

What do you guy's think ? BTW i posted my CV at dave's esl cafe .

Man, where to begin. It seems you're already on Dave's which is great, but you should really spend some time searching/reading the China job forums to so you don't get screwed. But be warned, if you post a lot of vague questions like the above, the (sometimes bitter) veterans will shred you mercilessly.

It seems you're comparing job offers that are likely very different from each other based on the few details you provided. While Supermanisdead claims you can get any job you want with your experience, a lot of the popular provinces have started cracking down as of last year. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's still easy to land plenty of work without a degree, but it's not like you could waltz into an international school gig in Beijing/Shanghai. I'll try to answer some of your questions. I'm assuming the first offer is a university and the other offer is a language mill:

- Housing expenses vary from school to school. For example my school pays my water, electric, and internet. I would ask them what 'management fees' are.

- A 12 month contract starting in August might be considered unusual for a uni (I think). Most unis start in September and let out in late June/early July. This could potentially cause issues for the following school year if you wanted to go somewhere else. My current contract is Sept 1 - July 15.

- A medical exam is part of the visa process. I actually had to have mine done before I came over which was a pain in the ass. Expect a chest x-ray, EKG, and blood work. Maybe piss test. Ask if they're covering the expense since it's being done in China.

- It's technically illegal to teach on a F visa but a lot of people do it. It's only good for 6 months so expect a trip to HK or another country in SE Asia in your future. Ask who's footing the bill, or if they're going to get it converted to a Z once you're in country.

- Having to arrange your own housing is a whole 'nother animal, one that I haven't experienced yet. From what I read you're probably looking at an agent fee and probably a hefty security deposit (3+ months rent).

Since you're an experienced teacher you might not have to worry about the 'probationary' salary in the first gig, but in a lot of cases this gives the school an easy excuse to cut you loose. You should go through the contract and get clarification on anything you don't understand or aren't comfortable with. Contracts can be changed/negotiated. I could keep going but I don't want to overwhelm/dissuade you. You've got another month or two before university hiring starts getting in gear (if that's even what you're looking for), so if I were you I'd spend as much time reading about teaching in China as possible. Here's an excerpt from a PM I sent to another gaffer the other day, hope it helps narrow things down for you:

The type of work you want will affect how you go about your search. It falls in a few categories and varies quite a bit:

- University work (what I do): Typically between 18-20 class hours a week, 90 minutes per class. Class sizes vary from 20-30 but can be quite a bit larger too. On average I have 2 classes per day and only work 4 days per week. I don't have any office hours and they basically let me do what I want in class. Outside Beijing/Shanghai the typical uni salary is 5-6k RMB per month, but you may find higher. They will also put you up on campus and pay most/all your utilities including internet.

- Language mills: For-profit companies that teach children, adults or both. Schedules vary obviously but you're looking at 30-40 hour weeks that could include weekends. Some places want part-timers too. You usually have to find your own housing but they typically pay a housing allowance of 1-2k RMB. I think you're probably looking at a salary of 10-12k per month but I didn't research this route too much.

- Freelance: Find your own students and do private lessons with 1-5+ people. I think the going rate is 150-200 RMB per hour but probably depends a lot on where you're at. Most uni teachers do this on the side to make extra cash.

First off, Changsha is a shithole, lol.

6000 is a little on the low side. The 8000 + 1000 for housing is a bit better, but they really need to be providing a free apartment as that is basically a standard nationwide for foreign English teachers. It's weird that they don't.

And the agency getting a cut of your pay is a ripoff.

Do not go on an F visa. It's illegal to work on an F visa and they are only valid for 3 months anyways. You need a Z visa to work and get a residence permit.

To the guys in China, what are your opinions of these areas?

nanjing, chongqing, shenyang, hefei, nanchang and shijiazhuang.

I am researching this places, but it would be nice to get some gaf opinions if possible.

sasimirobot

"nanjing, chongqing, shenyang, hefei, nanchang and shijiazhuang."

Shenyang is heavily korean influenced, it near north korea, gets fucking cold though. The say the girls in chongqing are the finest in china, and from what I have seen around that area I would agree. This is the thing in China, nicer and warmer cities = more competition from foreigners for jobs= less pay, in general. Or just simple supply and demand. If you can hack it in out of the way places ask for more money, with the recent visa crack down it is getting harder and harder to pull in foreign teachers, we are worth a mint now. Don't even get out of bed for less than 10,000/month, 200-250rmb/hour...

numble

To the guys in China, what are your opinions of these areas?

nanjing, chongqing, shenyang, hefei, nanchang and shijiazhuang.

I am researching this places, but it would be nice to get some gaf opinions if possible.
Nanjing I feel is the best for a foreigner. Quick train ride to Shanghai, and the city itself should not be that bad as well.

Shijiazhuang is a quick train trip to Beijing, but Hebei is known for pollution, and my impression of the town is that it wouldn't be as nice as Nanjing.

Nanchang is supposed to have a lot of nice places and nice weather, it's a less than short train trip to the Pearl River Delta of Guangzhou/Shenzhen/Hong Kong. It has spicy food.

Shenyang is supposedly in some heavily industrial place. I guess there might be some Korean and Manchurian specific stuff.

Chongqing has Sichuan food and hot pots. You're closer to Sichuan and Tibet, with a lot of amazing scenery, national parks, and pandas.

Chongqing and Nanjing are both really nice. Chongqing is a major city on it's own, but Nanjing is very close to Shanghai. Both are good spots for foreigners.

sohois

I have 2 friends in Chongqing and they say they the air quality over there is pretty awful, like you can smell it straight from the plane.

acksman

Just leaving Shanghai today after being here a month. Been in the Nanjing area. The air has been shit and has rained most days the past couple weeks. Today has been nice after a long rain yesterday.

If anyone has questions I can answer most if it pertains to the Shanghai area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom