• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the OP, but I failed to see exactly what prerequisites or certificates are required to teach in Japan. Do you need extensive college or other additional courses, or does it boil down to references and general work experience? As a tradesman myself who's always dreamed of working or living in Japan most of my "teaching" and references would obviously come from that field. Any advice as to how I could accomplish landing a teaching gig with construction background?

For the JET program, the only requirement is a college degree and that you be a good, enthusiastic person. No official ESL/EFL certification, work experience, or Japanese ability is required, though it may help. I've a few friends over there now who don't (or didn't, rather) speak a bit of Japanese. Work experience is whatever—the JET program is advertised as a 'fresh out of college' job, and you're only over there five years maximum, so going on about how loyal and reliable you've been in your previous work experience isn't really relevant.

But this is all only applicable to the consulate in my state. I recommend you look into a JET information session somewhere (a Japanese culture expo, or anything they might show up at) to get a feel for the people who work there.

Other companies like INTERAC have similar if not looser qualifications, as far as I know.

lupinko

I'm doing JET right now as a super late replacement, apparently my predecessor was in the second year and decided to bail for personal reasons. Oh well that person's loss, as so far it's been great for me. :)

My apartment is dope too, bigger than expected and super close to a major city, actually basically within said major city.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm doing JET right now as a super late replacement, apparently my predecessor was in the second year and decided to bail for personal reasons. Oh well that person's loss, as so far it's been great for me. :)

My apartment is dope too, bigger than expected and super close to a major city, actually basically within said major city.

Sounds amazing. Really happy for you. :)

Guru-Guru

Banned
Just recontracted and will be staying on JET for a second year. I love my schools, coworkers, as well as the town I live in, so it was pretty easy to make this decision!

Jintor

So yeah, any tips on JET interviews tho?

Besides show up in a suit, relax the day before, stay neat, practice a few likely questions ("What do you think JET is all about? Why do you want to come to Japan? What are your plans after JET?"), radiate confidence etc

caesar

Banned

Besides show up in a suit, relax the day before, stay neat, practice a few likely questions ("What do you think JET is all about? Why do you want to come to Japan? What are your plans after JET?"), radiate confidence etc

Be ready to demonstrate some basic knowledge of Japanese culture. Seems obvious, but people forget.

Is this actually a good way to learn? I started using Genki text books, and going to start dedicating 2 hours of my day to it. But I just started watching and this is funny.

It's a way, but it's probably better if it is supplementary to another more official method of learning.

morch

I had a UK JET interview last week, got my email the week before that.

I hope i get it even if the exchange rate will destroy me

I had a UK JET interview last week, got my email the week before that.

I hope i get it even if the exchange rate will destroy me

I'm really peeved at the exchange rate honestly. I've been getting paid in yen working online and because it was so strong last year I didn't get that much Aus dollars out of it. Now I have to convert it all back into yen to go over there but the exchange rate has gone down and now it's crappy to convert from AUD to yen ;.; Why you do this to me.

Desmond

I'm really peeved at the exchange rate honestly. I've been getting paid in yen working online and because it was so strong last year I didn't get that much Aus dollars out of it. Now I have to convert it all back into yen to go over there but the exchange rate has gone down and now it's crappy to convert from AUD to yen ;.; Why you do this to me.
Recently it's been great converting from euro to yen, but it's getting worse. I'm getting a bit anxious. I won't be teaching , but I hope to study over there for a year.

Oops didn't mean to make a second post.

Edit: but god I'm hearing nightmare stories about Nova. I'll have to talk to my brother and make sure that is his company. He's had a good experience so far, but now I'm sort of worried for him. :/

Interac seems like the best based on what I've read (I mean for private companies). But I've heard some nightmare experiences there too. I guess it's luck of the draw? Does anyone else have advice for going private, if I can't do JET? Is it better looking on sites like Gaijin pot and seeing if local boards are hiring?

Not sure what nightmare stories you're hearing but the Nova now is not the same as the Nova before the bankruptcy. A different company took over but they kept the name. The only bad thing I can think of is anything above your base salary is tied to capacity, so if you are not a good/popular teacher you won't make as much as others. If you're planning on spending a year in Japan or less I think they are fine. You can take holidays whenever you want with a month's notice or swap shifts and there is plenty of OT if you want to make extra cash.

Mononoke

Banned
Be ready to demonstrate some basic knowledge of Japanese culture. Seems obvious, but people forget.

It's a way, but it's probably better if it is supplementary to another more official method of learning.

Yeah, I actually watched several videos and I find it really easy to learn! And yeah, I'm using it as supplementary. Using Genki textbooks + that (and other stuff) to try to take it all in.

Not sure what nightmare stories you're hearing but the Nova now is not the same as the Nova before the bankruptcy. A different company took over but they kept the name. The only bad thing I can think of is anything above your base salary is tied to capacity, so if you are not a good/popular teacher you won't make as much as others. If you're planning on spending a year in Japan or less I think they are fine. You can take holidays whenever you want with a month's notice or swap shifts and there is plenty of OT if you want to make extra cash.

Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like it was currently bad. From what I've heard from people that are currently there, they love it. It seems to me, there is just too many human factors about this sort of stuff (ie. how good the person is at doing their job, how the office manager is, if the branch you are at has enough students) etc. I try to take anything I read online with a grain of salt, for sure.

supergiz

So how does being a recruiter in Japan compare to teaching in Japan? I ask this because after 3 grueling interviews I got offered a position as a recruiter making 375,000 a month plus commission. I have no prior recruiting experience. Usually this company requires 3+ years of experience recruiting but due to a crafty cover letter and acing the interviews, they extended me an offer.

Is there any upward mobility in this profession? I don't want to end up in a position where I get there, can't recruit enough people, get fired, and am back to square one.

Guru-Guru

Banned

Don't be afraid to embarrass yourself if they ask you to do a teaching demonstration! I told all 3 of guys who were interviewing me to stand up, and we sang "The Hokey Pokey," while doing all the actions. Any outsider would have probably thought I was nuts, but being able to show that I have confidence, a fun personality, and also don't give a shit about making a fool of myself, was important for getting selected.

Don't be afraid to embarrass yourself if they ask you to do a teaching demonstration! I told all 3 of guys who were interviewing me to stand up, and we sang "The Hokey Pokey," while doing all the actions. Any outsider would have probably thought I was nuts, but being able to show that I have confidence, a fun personality, and also don't give a shit about making a fool of myself, was important for getting selected.

oh! So how does that work? Do they give you any suggestions or materials, or is it just a free form "show us what you've got" type deal?

oh! So how does that work? Do they give you any suggestions or materials, or is it just a free form "show us what you've got" type deal?

There may be a whiteboard and single marker or something, depending upon the location. It seems an uncommon interview question, but the one other person I know who's done it was prompted with "We're young Japanese students who don't know much English. Teach us about colors." I guess it could be free form too, like with the hokey pokey.

Edit: If I may make a suggestion: as charlie_l demonstrated, it's important in EFL instruction to engage with the students. Don't just stand up and talk at them. Talk with them. Treat the interviewers as you would kids, if it comes up.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I have a question regarding the EPIK system and teaching in Korea

Be mentally and physically healthy.

I am physically healthy, I have however been suffering from Depression for a good number of years and am currently under medication. Can anyione tell me whether this will be an issue and is it necessary for me to disclose this information? I am not going to life obviously but I do not believe this will affect my ability to work when I get there and as such would not openly volunteer the information.

caesar

Banned
I have a question regarding the EPIK system and teaching in Korea

I am physically healthy, I have however been suffering from Depression for a good number of years and am currently under medication. Can anyione tell me whether this will be an issue and is it necessary for me to disclose this information? I am not going to life obviously but I do not believe this will affect my ability to work when I get there and as such would not openly volunteer the information.

It will be an issue, lie and do not mention the depression or any medication you are on. Do not admit to ever having taken any drugs either. If you admit to suffering from depression you will be discriminated and not accepted.

Although realise you will be blood tested for drugs within the first week you get to Korea. If they find anything you're getting sent home immediately, literally the same day you are found out you will be extradited. So be to sure to find out specifically what they are testing for, you may have no choice but to admit you're on meds. Avoid if possible though, don't mention depression.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It will be an issue, lie and do not mention the depression or any medication you are on. Do not admit to ever having taken any drugs either. If you admit to suffering from depression you will be discriminated and not accepted.

Although realise you will be blood tested for drugs within the first week you get to Korea. If they find anything you're getting sent home immediately, literally the same day you are found out you will be extradited. So be to sure to find out specifically what they are testing for, you may have no choice but to admit you're on meds. Avoid if possible though, don't mention depression.

Yeah I did some research and this appears to be the only way forward, it really sucks. I have been reading some stories and found no accounts that people have been sent home based on a blood test (people who have only taken anti-d's), but have been cold shouldered when openly admitting usage of anti depressants. Its a quagmire, im not sure how to approach the situation, I dont like being deceptive but at the same time if I felt I could do it and the drugs would not impede my ability to work properly I would consider going forward. I guess it depends whether its omission or deception. I dont particularly like the idea of the latter, seems a recipe for disaster, could even have legal implications.

lupinko

Here's what I call tell you:

- know a lot about your country, remember you are also a cultural ambassador of sorts and they hired you to be foreign, so if you talk about food be prepared to know about food that is distinctly of your country

- they will ask you questions about hypotheticals such as say you made plans in advance to go on a trip with friends but all of a sudden your school board or school want you to attend a function or do something what do you do? The answer is work comes first.

Or like say you are really tired and your host family or school board or community invite you to a party do you decline or still go? You still go and show up.

If a JTE hits a student or does something you do not agree with do you intervene? You go to your supervisor and report but not actually intervene at that moment as terrible as that sounds.

I had practice with my Japanese history prof who was a former JET, and he gave me those examples, I only encountered the first.

Also knowing about Japan helps too like cultural stuff like their history for example, I talked (and also wrote) about Ranald MacDonald as one of my inspirations, I also brought up things such as general Japanese things like Mitani Koki.

If you know Japanese that will help too, although you will be asked probably during the interview I know I did and as a result half of my interview was in Japanese. It was also one of the reasons why I got the job.

Be honest, and be specific and no half assed answers, like for example for placement I made it clear that I preferred larger cities due to my background but because of some of my hobbies and interests I would also be flexible for rural areas, ultimately I got a large city. Not saying that will happen to you.

Be enthusiastic, especially about your interests and how they relate to Japan, I mentioned how much I love music and martial arts.

Be confident, and throw out all the otaku and GAFness out the door, sorry GAF about that.

I can go in greater detail but I have to sleep now and I'm typing this on my iphone.

Hope it helps!

caesar

Banned
Yeah I did some research and this appears to be the only way forward, it really sucks. I have been reading some stories and found no accounts that people have been sent home based on a blood test (people who have only taken anti-d's), but have been cold shouldered when openly admitting usage of anti depressants. Its a quagmire, im not sure how to approach the situation, I dont like being deceptive but at the same time if I felt I could do it and the drugs would not impede my ability to work properly I would consider going forward. I guess it depends whether its omission or deception. I dont particularly like the idea of the latter, seems a recipe for disaster, could even have legal implications.

I personally know one person who tested positive due to some medical drugs ( don't know what) and she was given a 2nd chance to pass the test. I think you should do what you need to get the position, I really doubt there will be any legal implications. For example, if I was caught smoking marijuana they could technically jail me but they would undoubtedly just ship me back home. It isn't worth it for them.

Mr Cola

I personally know one person who tested positive due to some medical drugs ( don't know what) and she was given a 2nd chance to pass the test. I think you should do what you need to get the position, I really doubt there will be any legal implications. For example, if I was caught smoking marijuana they could technically jail me but they would undoubtedly just ship me back home. It isn't worth it for them.

Thanks for the advice, I have a good window before the next submission period (there is one right now but I dont have the relevant qualifications) and its possible I could be off drugs by then, if thats the case then I would feel fine about not disclosing my prior usage, since I no longer deem it relevant. Ill continue to get my tefl qualifications so I have the option open.

Go_Ly_Dow

Thanks for the advice, I have a good window before the next submission period (there is one right now but I dont have the relevant qualifications) and its possible I could be off drugs by then, if thats the case then I would feel fine about not disclosing my prior usage, since I no longer deem it relevant. Ill continue to get my tefl qualifications so I have the option open.

not related to the thread but your issue.

i noticed you posted in the fitness thread. lifting weighst and fitness upkeep is known to be a great way to combat depression/anxiety/improve mental well-being.

so there's some more motivation for you to get started :)

Jintor

Here's what I call tell you:

- know a lot about your country, remember you are also a cultural ambassador of sorts and they hired you to be foreign, so if you talk about food be prepared to know about food that is distinctly of your country

- they will ask you questions about hypotheticals such as say you made plans in advance to go on a trip with friends but all of a sudden your school board or school want you to attend a function or do something what do you do? The answer is work comes first.

Or like say you are really tired and your host family or school board or community invite you to a party do you decline or still go? You still go and show up.

If a JTE hits a student or does something you do not agree with do you intervene? You go to your supervisor and report but not actually intervene at that moment as terrible as that sounds.

I had practice with my Japanese history prof who was a former JET, and he gave me those examples, I only encountered the first.

Also knowing about Japan helps too like cultural stuff like their history for example, I talked (and also wrote) about Ranald MacDonald as one of my inspirations, I also brought up things such as general Japanese things like Mitani Koki.

If you know Japanese that will help too, although you will be asked probably during the interview I know I did and as a result half of my interview was in Japanese. It was also one of the reasons why I got the job.

Be honest, and be specific and no half assed answers, like for example for placement I made it clear that I preferred larger cities due to my background but because of some of my hobbies and interests I would also be flexible for rural areas, ultimately I got a large city. Not saying that will happen to you.

Be enthusiastic, especially about your interests and how they relate to Japan, I mentioned how much I love music and martial arts.

Be confident, and throw out all the otaku and GAFness out the door, sorry GAF about that.

I can go in greater detail but I have to sleep now and I'm typing this on my iphone.

Hope it helps!

Thanks ya'll. Man, I've got to refigure how to be interested in art + animation without appearing only like an otaku lol.

I'm a little surprised, but I did manage to get the interview. Looking over some of the questions that had been posted in an older JET thread ... I'm not really sure how well I'll do on the interview. I don't exactly scream "AMERICAN!" like it seems I need to.

How important is it to be familiar with English grammar terminology outside of identifying parts of speech?

Necrovex

I'm a little surprised, but I did manage to get the interview. Looking over some of the questions that had been posted in an older JET thread ... I'm not really sure how well I'll do on the interview. I don't exactly scream "AMERICAN!" like it seems I need to.

Just dress up as Bandit Keith for the interview.

Guru-Guru

Banned
There may be a whiteboard and single marker or something, depending upon the location. It seems an uncommon interview question, but the one other person I know who's done it was prompted with "We're young Japanese students who don't know much English. Teach us about colors." I guess it could be free form too, like with the hokey pokey.

Edit: If I may make a suggestion: as charlie_l demonstrated, it's important in EFL instruction to engage with the students. Don't just stand up and talk at them. Talk with them. Treat the interviewers as you would kids, if it comes up.
Yes, in my interview they pretty much asked me to sing a song aimed at younger elementary students, hence choosing "Hokey Pokey." 100% agree on treating the interviewers like kids while doing the teaching demonstration, as well as engaging with them!

Other people interviewed in my batch were asked to do a simple explanation of a holiday (Christmas, Halloween, etc.) aimed at young Japanese students. Really they could choose any topic, so it is kind of hard to prepare in a sense. As long as you are confident and engage with the interviewers on the demonstration you will do fine!

Interview tomorrow ;__;

Goooooood luck! Remember to smile! Part of their evaluation is of your overall 'feel', so try to convey enthusiasm (without looking psychotic) and politeness. Greet your evaluators and make eye contact at least a couple of times. You're prepared, so don't stress. :)

WoodWERD

I can sure get used to the Chinese university work schedule! Sitting in the Bangkok airport after a month+ in Thailand and Laos. Great time. Now back to reality... Of 4-day, 16 hour work weeks. Now if I could just get these guys to learn something.

Here's the deal:
I am an American attorney who has started a "virtual" solo practice. Business is virtually nonexistent at the moment.
I am living in Southeast Asia. I met a girl from Tokyo the other day (a flight attendant), and it got me thinking about going to Japan. I can't afford to live there on the money I make from doing freelance internet writing and the few-and-far-between legal jobs, so I would love to teach english there for at least a year.
It sounds like the private companies are the way to go. Do any of them upgrade you to a "business English" teaching, or is there a special program for those who have expertise like myself? What would you guys recommend I apply for? Are there recruiters for this kind of thing?
Any advice would be appreciated!

To clarify: I have bachelor's, master's and J.D. degrees. Does that help?

I can sure get used to the Chinese university work schedule! Sitting in the Bangkok airport after a month+ in Thailand and Laos. Great time. Now back to reality... Of 4-day, 16 hour work weeks. Now if I could just get these guys to learn something.

Wow, maybe I should do that!
Though I'd like to give Tokyo a try. I spent the day with that girl and have been talking with her since. Would love to see if things work out!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the deal:
I am an American attorney who has started a "virtual" solo practice. Business is virtually nonexistent at the moment.
I am living in Southeast Asia. I met a girl from Tokyo the other day (a flight attendant), and it got me thinking about going to Japan. I can't afford to live there on the money I make from doing freelance internet writing and the few-and-far-between legal jobs, so I would love to teach english there for at least a year.
It sounds like the private companies are the way to go. Do any of them upgrade you to a "business English" teaching, or is there a special program for those who have expertise like myself? What would you guys recommend I apply for? Are there recruiters for this kind of thing?

Though I'd like to give Tokyo a try. I spent the day with that girl and have been talking with her since. Would love to see if things work out!
From what I've heard from the people still teaching in Tokyo, it is really rough and demand isn't as high as it was due to declining population. Still, if you can make it work for you, all the power to you, but maybe have a back up in case.
Might consider other parts of Asia unless your heart is really set on Tokyo. Other than that, there is always a market for business English, it's just if you can get the right connections or not.

My Japanese teacher recommended I do the JET program for a gap year after I graduate college. I'm really considering it, but I'm afraid I'll become a lifer if I do. It would be so easy for me to grow complacent.

sohois

Here's the deal:

If Tokyo is a no go, then China definitely has the positions.

Rates for business english in cities like Shanghai or Beijing can start at 18'000 RMB per month and demand is high. Whilst many ads will ask for people with Tefls or teaching experience, you should probably have no trouble getting a job with your qualifications.

So, I've been doing research on the JET interview process, and a common consensus on how the interviews are carried out seems to be "war trial" where at least one interviewer or all three attempt to see if they can "break you," make you freak out, etc ... and if you maintain a sense of composure and positivity despite this it's perhaps just as important if not more important than your actual answers.

Welp. Thursday!

My Japanese teacher recommended I do the JET program for a gap year after I graduate college. I'm really considering it, but I'm afraid I'll become a lifer if I do. It would be so easy for me to grow complacent.

You can't really become a lifer because there's ... I believe it's a 5 year cap on the maximum time you can serve with JET. : ) They want fresh blood.

So, I've been doing research on the JET interview process, and a common consensus on how the interviews are carried out seems to be "war trial" where at least one interviewer or all three attempt to see if they can "break you," make you freak out, etc ... and if you maintain a sense of composure and positivity despite this it's perhaps just as important if not more important than your actual answers.

Welp. Thursday!

You can't really become a lifer because there's ... I believe it's a 5 year cap on the maximum time you can serve with JET. : ) They want fresh blood.

That sounds about right. At least one will try to throw you with an odd request or question that puts you on the spot. I'd say maintaining your composure is more than half the battle at this interview.

As for lifers... he could linger on. The JET I replaced was 40+, had done JET twice and was slinking to some other kind of ESL occupation when I replaced him.

When I went, all three of the interviewers were sweet and happy people. They laughed a lot during the process and it was a totally comfortable environment. I dunno, the way each consulate seems to handle the interviews seems drastically different.

Zoc

Thanks Necrovex!

Apparently I got my placement already and I'm going to Sendai City. Which isn't that far from Tokyo by bullet train and I get a city as opposed to fishing village. I leave straight from Vancouver on Jan 28 so I'm excited but also panicking, expect "I am moving to Japan thread" out of me shortly.

Are you going to Sendai? That's where I've lived for the past three and a half years. It's a nice place, only it's too bad that you are arriving during the worst winter in 77 years.

lupinko

Are you going to Sendai? That's where I've lived for the past three and a half years. It's a nice place, only it's too bad that you are arriving during the worst winter in 77 years.

I was in that is already here in Sendai since Jan 29.

Eh the winter isn't that bad, while it's worse than any Vancouver winter it pales to any Toronto one.

Zoc

I was in that is already here in Sendai since Jan 29.

Eh the winter isn't that bad, while it's worse than any Vancouver winter it pales to any Toronto one.

Really? How do you like Sendai?

I like the snow and ice, actually, although Sendai really needs to buy some damn snow plows and salt.

Jintor

the worst bit is i was going to interview for another job and the company was like 'hey maybe come back when we're sure you're not going to bugger off in july'

which is... fair enough, but yo, now what the heck am i gonna do with my time? Maybe go fasttrack a tesol course or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom