• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 on Mac RIGHT NOW! On sale for $9.99, free weekend till 6/13!

John

Motion Picture Soundtrack said:
Pyro can reflect projectiles and push around enemies with right click. This also puts out allies who are on fire so don't forget to do that if you're around!
Wow, thanks!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Sciz said:
The GAF server usually fills up in the late evening for US timezones.

So whats the address for the GAF Server? I jumped on the 2fort one with Red Scarlet and them last night but I dont think that was the one.

Red Scarlet said:
Was fun though, kind of liked the medic and I think the sniper probably doesn't get that much use in 'serious' games, soldier was kind of fun.
It really depends on the map. If there are long stretches of space and good sniper spots, they are very big parts of a team.

In 2Fort, the snipers basically go to the Battlements and shoot each other. It is a good fun place for sniping, but it really doesn't advance your team's goals much.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, occasional random glitches. There was one moment where I had braved life and limb to sneak into the sewers on 2fort last night and plant a teleporter exit, only to get back by the respawn room and have the game suddenly not let me select entrance to build. I was like "fuuuuuuu" but then I clicked around a bit and ran in a circle and tried again and it worked.
There are some locations that you simply can't build on. Things normally have to be a foot away from the spawn doors.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Lyphen said:
There are some locations that you simply can't build on. Things normally have to be a foot away from the spawn doors.
No, I know, I was building in the middle of that large area in front of the main respawn. I mean it wouldn't even let me select entrance, I would just hit 3 over and over with the selection menu up.

denomes

rezuth said:
Daaaaaamn, people are hating on you when you play with the earbuds. I get everything from "macfag" to "you could have gotten a PC with a better graphiccard for those money"

I'm trying to get my buddy to login on a Mac with my account so I can trick people into thinking I'm a newb.

EDIT: Sorry for the double.

Tiamatsword22 said:
I'm a 2fort apologist who plays way too much on 24/7 2fort servers, and to me, going to a 32 player instant spawn 10 cap 2fort seems like insanity. Like why would you ever do that to yourself?

I do it to play Team Deathmatch, not Capture the Flag ;)

Botolf said:
This right here is the best/funniest truth about the map: it's TDM with a little CTF mixed in for flavour.
Scotsman%27s_skullcutter.png

The Technomancer

EmCeeGramr said:
http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/b/bb/Scotsman%27s_skullcutter.png[/QUOTE]
Was that you last night? I've forgotten the name of that axe-wielding madman who just ran back and forth on the bridge hacking at people

The_Technomancer said:
Was that you last night? I've forgotten the name of that axe-wielding madman who just ran back and forth on the bridge hacking at people
Good. You didn't catch that charming and handsome man's name. It's really not important, anyhow.

Also, tip for Mac users: start of with something simple and accessible, like the Spy. Then after weeks of practice, you may be ready to play something advanced, like the Soldier or the Pyro.

denomes

EmCeeGramr said:
Good. You didn't catch that charming and handsome man's name. It's really not important, anyhow.

Also, tip for Mac users: start of with something simple and accessible, like the Spy. Then after weeks of practice, you may be ready to play something advanced, like the Soldier or the Pyro.

Not sure if serious...

EmCeeGramr said:
That's the exact opposite of what people said in the other thread.

The Technomancer

cooljeanius said:
That's the exact opposite of what people said in the other thread.
Yeah, they were sabotaging you. We're your friends here.
Actually, I'd start as an enginner. Ignore his buildings though; the best engineer's are up close and personal on the front lines with their pistols.

If you choose to go Scout and you find something called "Bonk" then immediately equip it and use it fervently. Congratulations, you're in the big leagues now, slugger!

Motion Picture Soundtrack said:
Pyro can reflect projectiles and push around enemies with right click. This also puts out allies who are on fire so don't forget to do that if you're around!
I tend to use the back burner due to the Crits. But that air blast is pretty much the only tool effective against an Uber.

enzo_gt said:
But seriously start with Soldier or Pyro or Scout.
Scout? :lol For a newbie? :lol

There is some top notch trolling going on in many posts here.

Scout is completely useless until you can control your avatar really well and you know the maps.

The Technomancer

I dunno, its hard to go wrong starting as a Medic. Run around healing anyone who needs it, and it will give you a lot of time to get a feel for the maps, for the flow of the game.

The_Technomancer said:
I dunno, its hard to go wrong starting as a Medic. Run around healing anyone who needs it, and it will give you a lot of time to get a feel for the maps, for the flow of the game.
Healing? That's a bit too high level.

Combat Medic is a good "tutorial" that will leave you and your team satisfied!

Twig said:
Best advice: play whatever class you fucking feel like playing, DIPWADS.
Yep . . . the goal is fun. And when you get bored with one, you can switch to another.

Also, it can really help your team if you switch between characters during a game. An engineer is largely useless on blue at the start of a payload map. But he quickly becomes critical as the payload moves far from the spawn point.

Medics and spies are critical with ubers when defense gets really organized with great sentries.

Chinner said:
is it me or is the game even slower now in terms of fps?
I don't know if it is FPS but I feel that the servers seem to have some burps . . . I'm guessing that the new Mac clients are not perfected yet such that they are throwing off the servers a little bit.

But in general, I think they've done an awesome job getting the Mac users on board. Getting new players helps the game.

The only real problem I've seen is when people randomly join teams occasionally a bunch of newbies all get put on the same team such that the game becomes a one-sided slaughter.

Stridone

Banned
Team Fortress 2 is fucking awesome. Not only was it fucking awesome in the first place, Valve just keeps improving it because the Team Fortress 2 developers are awesome too. $9.99 is nothing for a brilliant game like this that only keeps expanding and improving, and they're not even asking a penny more for those updates!

Also, the achievements are hilariously named.

If you haven't bought this brilliant game yet, shame on you.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
speculawyer said:
Yep . . . the goal is fun. And when you get bored with one, you can switch to another.

Also, it can really help your team if you switch between characters during a game. An engineer is largely useless on blue at the start of a payload map. But he quickly becomes critical as the payload moves far from the spawn point.

Medics and spies are critical with ubers when defense gets really organized with great sentries.

And in my experience, you don't always need as many support (Spy/Medic/Sniper) classes once your team has solid momentum. In those cases "power" classes (Solider/Demo/Pyro) can actually help more by inflicting a lot of damage and chaos while the other team attempts to regroup.

Your #2 asset in this game, behind aim, is situational awareness. Know what's going on and how to adapt to it.

Charron said:
And in my experience, you don't always need as many support (Spy/Medic/Sniper) classes once your team has solid momentum. In those cases "power" classes (Solider/Demo/Pyro) can actually help more by inflicting a lot of damage and chaos while the other team attempts to regroup.

Your #2 asset in this game, behind aim, is situational awareness. Know what's going on and how to adapt to it.
Yep . . . and in the same vein, the other side often needs to adapt in the same way. If the blue team has a payload rolling fast then they blow past your teleports and sentries faster than you can build them up to higher levels. You gotta slow them down with Solider/Demo/Pyro/medic so the engineers can set up something useful. Engineer can be very hard to play well . . . if you push too far, you buildings just get destroyed. If you are too conservative, your teleport doesn't get the other players to the front line quickly, your dispenser heals no one, and your sentry doesn't get any kills.

The game is pretty cool in that there really are a lot of levels to it. It starts as a simple game where you just get a heavy and mow down enemies. YEEEAAAARRRGH!

But as you play more, it progresses to a game with a lot subtlety and strategy: Which bonus items should I equip? Where do I place this sentry? When is the best time to use this Uber? Which character does my team most need at the moment? Where do I place a teleport? Can I get this hard achievement?

Red Scarlet

Can you even see the earbuds? I have 2 hats now though..woohoo! Only 4 hrs of play for 2 hats. And some knife Botolf was all OMGCOOL about.

Red Scarlet said:
Can you even see the earbuds? I have 2 hats now though..woohoo! Only 4 hrs of play for 2 hats. And some knife Botolf was all OMGCOOL about.
Damn, how did you get hats so fast? The only hats I have are the earned Gibbus and hate from buying L4D2.

Does it only drop hats if you are not wearing a hat?

And why do I care about hats? :lol

denomes

The_Technomancer said:

This. And remember to heal around corners and behind cover.

Plus, you'll receive lots of thank yous which will make you feel good about playing and let you know that you're contributing positively to the team.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
speculawyer said:
Damn, how did you get hats so fast? The only hats I have are the earned Gibbus and hate from buying L4D2.

I swear, items/hats drop faster for new/free players so they get up to speed easier (and it gives incentive to stick around).

I'm so close to crafting my fifth hat though. Have two Ricky Ritz's (so if I get another dupe, I can craft them away), the Pyro Brain Slug, and the Engie's Ten-Gallon and Mining Light.

denomes

Red Scarlet said:

Consider yourself lucky. I've played 320 hours and only have I think 3 hats. I'm on the verge of crafting one for the spy or demo though.

Alright i have it downloaded. No where is the gaf server and which class would be good for someone who is good and quick with a mouse?

Uncle AJ

I <3 Memes said:
Alright i have it downloaded. No where is the gaf server and which class would be good for someone who is good and quick with a mouse?

GAF server IP is 68.232.178.184:27015

The Scout is perfect for you if you're accustomed to shooters that require quick twitch reflexes (Quake, UT, etc.)

Also, EmCeeGramr: you're an asshole :lol

notworksafe

When I was playing TF2 on the PS3, I wasn't really impressed with the game. Now that I've got it on Mac, I'm loving it. Mostly been playing as Soldier, but I may switch it up a bit next time I play. Still learning all the maps, though. Luckily it seems most servers are 2Fort and Dustbowl for the most part.

njr

Red Scarlet said:

Heh, if you said that in the steam forums, everyone would rage because they've played since launch and never got a hat. Got to love the flame posts people reply, "RANDOM IS RANDOM" :lol

notworksafe

What's the deal with hats anyway? Are they just cosmetic? I've got the Halloween one (bought TF2 for $2.50 to help a friend achievement farm) and the earbuds, but they don't seem to do anything if I wear them.

EDIT: That's not true, actually. The earbuds seem to get more people yelling at me...so that's something.

Red Scarlet

speculawyer said:

Those are the hats I have too..saw some guy with that top hat and it showed up in my backpack thing after I played.

Bill hat was a freebie..but it shows folks I'm a noob, but not on a Mac so maybe they will spare me a little bit.

notworksafe said:
What's the deal with hats anyway? Are they just cosmetic? I've got the Halloween one (bought TF2 for $2.50 to help a friend achievement farm) and the earbuds, but they don't seem to do anything if I wear them.

I've always thought the hats were just collectibles to show off to other players? Like "neener neener look at the hat I have now".

Oh, here's the backpack site Botolf showed: http://www.tf2items.com/id/bulleta

That's what stuff I got..Botolf was excited about that knife, is it any good?

notworksafe

Red Scarlet said:
I've always thought the hats were just collectibles to show off to other players? Like "neener neener look at the hat I have now".
Ah, okay. That's pretty cool. I'll stick with my Gibus for now because it makes my Soldier look like a bit of a goofy looking hobo. :D

Red Scarlet said:
Oh, here's the backpack site Botolf showed: http://www.tf2items.com/id/bulleta

That's what stuff I got..Botolf was excited about that knife, is it any good?
How'd you get weapons? Are those also random drops?

Nabs

ooh, deadringer. me want.

i crafted the hound dog for the heavy, so i guess i'll start playing as him to show off my new do.

Top Bottom