• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 on Mac RIGHT NOW! On sale for $9.99, free weekend till 6/13!

Uncle AJ

Red Scarlet said:
Hope I did ok. Never saw the intel as far as I know. Was confusing w/ no radar or anything. Had a fun little sniper shootout going at the end. That last match I was like top scorer on my team (dunno how to get score) almost the whole match, don't know how that happened. Think I did okay for my first time.

Was fun though, kind of liked the medic and I think the sniper probably doesn't get that much use in 'serious' games, soldier was kind of fun.

Tab to bring up the scores/player list

In CTF mode, the 2 icons in the bottom center display the locations of the 2 briefcases. The little arrow around the circles will rotate to indicate your position relative to the briefcase (horizontally, anyway). Home icon means it's back at it's starting point, exclamation point means it's being carried by someone, and arrow icon means it's dropped on the ground and will return if no one picks it up in 60 seconds.

You did have the intel once, when we first started and there were only like 6 of us. I was the Demoman telling you (Scout) to pick it up because you were faster. And then you were like "Oh I'm on the other team now? lol" and you were still trying to shoot me. :lol

Also sorry about failing every time I Kritzkrieged you as a Medic while you were Soldier. You didn't know that Pyros can reflect rockets.

Red Scarlet

Did that server have those? I couldn't see any indicators of where the intel (either one) was.

Yeah I think it plopped me on the other team a few seconds before, so I was used to shooting that color.

Uncle AJ

I could see them, yeah. Maybe it's a UI element that gets cut off because of your resolution? Just speculating.

The arrows are useful for stopping intel carriers before they get out of the basement, since there's only 2 exit routes, you can follow the arrow to determine which route the carrier is taking and block him.

One super-helpful feature they added recently and I wish they made default was the option to see how much damage you're dealing. In Options, under Multiplayer tab, click the Advanced button, and there's a checkbox you can check off that says "Display damage done as text over your target." Even I have trouble judging whether or not my bullets are landing.

Red Scarlet

Mo the Hawk said:
I could see them, yeah. Maybe it's a UI element that gets cut off because of your resolution? Just speculating.

The arrows are useful for stopping intel carriers before they get out of the basement, since there's only 2 exit routes, you can follow the arrow to determine which route the carrier is taking and block him.

One super-helpful feature they added recently and I wish they made default was the option to see how much damage you're dealing. In Options, under Multiplayer tab, click the Advanced button, and there's a checkbox you can check off that says "Display damage done as text over your target." Even I have trouble judging whether or not my bullets are landing.

I never saw, will have to look next time.

honeymustardn said:
It's not the best idea to play on a 24/7 instant respawn 2fort server.

Main idea was I think to let people just try out the different classes without also having to learn a new map every 30 mins or so.

Tubobutts

I'm a 2fort apologist who plays way too much on 24/7 2fort servers, and to me, going to a 32 player instant spawn 10 cap 2fort seems like insanity. Like why would you ever do that to yourself?

Sibylus

Banned
Tiamatsword22 said:
I'm a 2fort apologist who plays way too much on 24/7 2fort servers, and to me, going to a 32 player instant spawn 10 cap 2fort seems like insanity. Like why would you ever do that to yourself?
A little casual batshit insanity can be good for variety.

Wallach

Tiamatsword22 said:

Haha, when I got in there I was like "OH GOD THE SCORE IS 8-7 WTF". :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
derFeef said:
What are the exact problems?
Sound goes in and out, stutters frequently, menus are very slow to respond.

Also, how the fuck do you pick up the briefcase?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
HK-47 said:
Wait there are maps other than 2fort?
I barely even play 2fort anymore. It's mostly the payload type maps and the occasional control point one.

Firebrand

RevenantKioku said:
Huh. I was standing on top of the fucking thing and nothing happened. Weird.

If it was your team's briefcase, you can't return it, only guard it until the timer above it runs out.

As for the enemy briefcase, I believe you can't pick it up if you're ubered or disguised.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Huh. Noted. Although I don't know why because it runs terribly. QQ

Javaman

Zzoram said:
The GAF server is empty now. When it was full it wouldn't let me view server info to see who was in it.

Yeah, it was a little buggy for some reason. I'm not sure what's up with it.

thefil

To anyone having performance issues on the Mac: disable VSync, Color Correction, AA and Motion Blur, then restart the game. Your performance should now be much better. To be honest, I'm not sure if you need to disable all of these or just some.

*edit* I'm now getting 40-90 FPS on my 2010 Macbook Pro 13".

jbeatle

Neo Member
Any one else run into problems syncing? It's been going for around 30 minutes, a bit longer than most syncs typically do. Even during such a busy weekend, aren't these like Megabyte sized? It'd be nice if there was, like, a progress bar or something. I'm hesitant to force quit 'cause I don't want to risk screwing up my pc files, but i also think this isn't going anywhere... CHOICES! Anyone run into this?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
:lol Not surprised to hear TF2 runs like complete shit on Macs without any kind of graphics power. Oh well, hope the next OS update at least optimized OpenGL enough that you can run it. Also hope Steam presence on the Mac generally improves the kind of driver support you get from Apple, considering the cost of hardware you buy.

jbeatle said:
Any one else run into problems syncing? It's been going for around 30 minutes, a bit longer than most syncs typically do. Even during such a busy weekend, aren't these like Megabyte sized? It'd be nice if there was, like, a progress bar or something. I'm hesitant to force quit 'cause I don't want to risk screwing up my pc files, but i also think this isn't going anywhere... CHOICES! Anyone run into this?
Just quit. Your settings are stored on your PC aswell, and syncing doesn't affect them.

Red Scarlet said:
Main idea was I think to let people just try out the different classes without also having to learn a new map every 30 mins or so.

True, if you're new, it's fine (that's how I learned actually - haha. Tried to block it out but it's all coming back :( ). But you don't want to play there after a week or so. "Nice place to visit, but you don't want to live there."

Firebrand

Huh, reinstalled TF2 and now I'm getting a mysterious "Failed to load the launcher DLL" error.
EDIT: Fixed it by deleting some random exe/dll files.

Wallach said:
Haha, when I got in there I was like "OH GOD THE SCORE IS 8-7 WTF". :lol
I left when the score was like 8 or 9 to 4. That was at like 3:00AM EST, and the game had been going on for hours.

I was actually saying to myself that if I saw the other team get the intel, I'd just let them pass so that it could end. :lol

rezuth

Daaaaaamn, people are hating on you when you play with the earbuds. I get everything from "macfag" to "you could have gotten a PC with a better graphiccard for those money"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
rezuth said:
Daaaaaamn, people are hating on you when you play with the earbuds. I get everything from "macfag" to "you could have gotten a PC with a better graphiccard for those money"
I swear, go look around Steam Community TF2 forums and you will baffle at how low the average IQ is there right now. People everywhere getting pissed the fuck off about virtual ear bud models for reasons like "they don't fit the 60s aesthetic" and "valve has betrayed us."

derFeef

enzo_gt said:
I swear, go look around Steam Community TF2 forums and you will baffle at how low the average IQ is there right now. People everywhere getting pissed the fuck off about virtual ear bud models for reasons like "they don't fit the 60s aesthetic" and "valve has betrayed us."
Steam forums, I love them.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
enzo_gt said:
The 60s thing makes sense though. Community submitted designs have to abide to that rule, flavour and all that, so it doesn't make much sense to bypass it.

Won

Still haven't gotten any earbuds. You have to wear that stuff Mac users or that whole Steam on Mac was a complete waste of time!

RevenantKioku

thefil said:
To anyone having performance issues on the Mac: disable VSync, Color Correction, AA and Motion Blur, then restart the game. Your performance should now be much better. To be honest, I'm not sure if you need to disable all of these or just some.

*edit* I'm now getting 40-90 FPS on my 2010 Macbook Pro 13".
Thanks. I did all that, but didn't restart. That helped. Still poopy. Wonder if windowed would be better or worse? I just looked, my video card is 256MB. That should be good, right? :lol (The last time I really played PC games, it was. >>)

Now I'm getting kicked for high ping, which, I'm not sure why as my net should be pretty good. "/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Won said:
Still haven't gotten any earbuds. You have to wear that stuff Mac users or that whole Steam on Mac was a complete waste of time!
This isn't a Ghastly Gibus. Mac only.

RevenantKioku said:
Thanks. I did all that, but didn't restart. That helped. Still poopy. Wonder if windowed would be better or worse? I just looked, my video card is 256MB. That should be good, right? :lol (The last time I really played PC games, it was. >>)

Now I'm getting kicked for high ping, which, I'm not sure why as my net should be pretty good. "/
Don't know where Macs keep their configs, but add "r_drawmodeldecals 0" to your autoconfig file, and then disable decals in the Multiplayer options setting. Should help keep your video memory use down.
Windowed will be worse. And try to set your server list to < 100 ping.
So try setting everything to low, and FOV to 90, see how it works.

RevenantKioku

Okay, I'll look for that.
Really, I'd have no problem with running it at lowest of low settings. I'd just like to play. "/

John

So is there an influx of crappy players and demomen with no stickies, or is it pretty much the same skill level

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
John said:
So is there an influx of crappy players and demomen with no stickies, or is it pretty much the same skill level
I've never seen to many Soldiers hanging around by my dispenser firing blindly, or snipers.
Played with 4 Sniper / 4 Spy / 3 Soldier / 1 Scout offense on Hoodoo this morning. :lol

RevenantKioku

Lyphen said:
This isn't a Ghastly Gibus. Mac only.

Don't know where Macs keep their configs, but add "r_drawmodeldecals 0" to your autoconfig file, and then disable decals in the Multiplayer options setting. Should help keep your video memory use down.
Windowed will be worse. And try to set your server list to < 100 ping.
So try setting everything to low, and FOV to 90, see how it works.
I think I found it. config.cfg at least for 440, which seems to be TF2's number, eh?

Just need to figure out this stuttering sound. Sometimes it'll just stop.

John said:
*soldier stops, stands still, and shoots at pyro at mid-range*

*pffft*

"WHAT THE- (BLAM)"

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
RevenantKioku said:
I think I found it. config.cfg at least for 440, which seems to be TF2's number, eh?

Just need to figure out this stuttering sound. Sometimes it'll just stop.
Alright, so if you found the folder, then create a new autoexec.cfg file with that line. As for the stuttering, try adding "dsp_slow_cpu 1" to the autoexec.cfg file too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, occasional random glitches. There was one moment where I had braved life and limb to sneak into the sewers on 2fort last night and plant a teleporter exit, only to get back by the respawn room and have the game suddenly not let me select entrance to build. I was like "fuuuuuuu" but then I clicked around a bit and ran in a circle and tried again and it worked.

Sciz

Wallach said:
What server are you guys playing on? NeoGAF server seems empty?
The GAF server usually fills up in the late evening for US timezones. There's certainly nothing stopping anyone from getting a game going outside that time frame though.

Botolf said:
Next time we play some CTF, we can try to look for a server with a rotation of at least 2-3 maps. As an example, Doublecross is a brilliant CTF map (also much less prone to stalemates).
Hey, we run Doublecross. D:

There're also some custom CTF maps on the server that we've never been able to run because no one bothers downloading them and the server's own transfer rate is abysmal and we don't have any off-site hosting. D:

Lyphen said:
The 60s thing makes sense though. Community submitted designs have to abide to that rule, flavour and all that, so it doesn't make much sense to bypass it.
You'll never take my Max scalp from me.

Top Bottom