• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team NINJA trolled you with Ninja Gaiden 3 (360/PS3 users)

ShogunX

The only people who are getting trolled are the one's who think this will make any kind of difference to a game that is not fit to hold the Ninja Gaiden name.

They can add whatever new weapons, controls or even moves they want it wont save the game from being a poor game at it's core. You can polish a turd all you want but at the end of the day it still smells like shit.

ultim8p00

Banned
more like they trolled themselves, with the poor commercial reception of the game :p

what was their excuse for removing dismemberment? it was something funny iirc.

Something about dismemberment making the game feel like a game and not serious enough...I don't know...I like hats

ezekial45

Banned
Why are you guys upset? They know they screwed up the last game, and they're trying to remedy the situation for this coming title.

Why wouldn't they try to fix things?

paolo11

If they add the campaign length and make the combat like NG2 with smooth constant 60 fps , I may get the game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

iKOrIR6fJmeiZ.jpg

.la1n

The game is not beyond fixing, they have time.

edit: I think a lot of people underestimate what new adopters of the system are willing to pick up based on cover art alone. Seen it with every single console launch there has ever been.

This is kinda like Frankenstein, after the body died you try to revive it with a bunch of shit and sell it good as new.

It's a shit game that might be somewhat less shittier. A 5/10 instead of a 3/10. Wheeeee.

Shit, that's just about everything people were complaining about right there. Might as well sell my unfinished 360 copy and wait for a Wii U version.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
No surprises. This is exactly what they did with NG2 (360 exclusive)->NGS2 (PS3 exclusive). Take the money from one group of fans and use it to fund improvements for another.

beat

having not played Ng3. What is beyond being able to be fixed?

1) the story. One of the main guys from Team Ninja that Itagaki didn't take with him, and no surprise.

1a) You can't really have guys who were trying to kill Ryu just seconds ago beg for their lives and have the player feel bad for them.

1b) Ryu, the most badass ninja ever, is saved by other characters probably five times in cutscenes in different chapters.

2) Kunai wall climb.

3) The Steel on Bone system means you play a short little mash QTE to kill nearly every enemy. This is awful. It meets the stated goal of giving the player the sensation of cutting through flesh and bone, but in a Ninja Gaiden game about cutting through vast swathes of difficult enemies, it just sucks. It totally destroys flow. Maybe Team Ninja Dog will just get rid of SoB.

4) What is with Ryu's cursed arm? Some times it flares up and then Ryu goes into a staggering state where he can't run, roll, jump -- and the enemies get way easier.

5) The longbow auto-aims to a ridiculous degree.

Fixable stuff that should never have been broken in the first place:

a) Ninja enemies should never have bare arms. This is a basic character design issue: you want Ryu to look different from all the NPCs on screen.

b) prompts: you need a middle ground between "show prompts all the time" and "never show any prompts ever". For example, any time a completely new QTE type shows up, those should be prompted even if basic prompts ("press X and Y in combat", "wallrun here") are turned off.

c) it is OK to pull the camera back enough to show Ryu's entire body even during a cool move. In fact, especially during a cool move.

d) UT charge time shouldn't be so short. I was doing the instant charge techniques until I realized that they shortened non-instant charge times so there's almost no point to doing instant charges.

e) Casting Ninpo on a nearly empty room is actually far worse than casting it on a full room: the latter completely refills your health. In other words, you get rewarded for pushing the 'get me out of this' button.

f) that ship segment is way too long.

g) Easy mode is called "Hero" instead of "Ninja Dog", and you pretty much cannot lose in this mode. Once Ryu gets down to 50% health in Hero mode, he auto-dodges/auto-blocks everything. It even cancels uncancellable moves.

DR2K

Banned
1) the story. One of the main guys from Team Ninja that Itagaki didn't take with him, and no surprise.

1a) You can't really have guys who were trying to kill Ryu just seconds ago beg for their lives and have the player feel bad for them.

1b) Ryu, the most badass ninja ever, is saved by other characters probably five times in cutscenes in different chapters.

2) Kunai wall climb.

3) The Steel on Bone system means you play a short little mash QTE to kill nearly every enemy. This is awful. It meets the stated goal of giving the player the sensation of cutting through flesh and bone, but in a Ninja Gaiden game about cutting through vast swathes of difficult enemies, it just sucks. It totally destroys flow. Maybe Team Ninja Dog will just get rid of SoB.

4) What is with Ryu's cursed arm? Some times it flares up and then Ryu goes into a staggering state where he can't run, roll, jump -- and the enemies get way easier.

5) The longbow auto-aims to a ridiculous degree.

Fixable stuff that should never have been broken in the first place:

a) Ninja enemies should never have bare arms. This is a basic character design issue: you want Ryu to look different from all the NPCs on screen.

b) prompts: you need a middle ground between "show prompts all the time" and "never show any prompts ever". For example, any time a completely new QTE type shows up, those should be prompted even if basic prompts ("press X and Y in combat", "wallrun here") are turned off.

c) it is OK to pull the camera back enough to show Ryu's entire body even during a cool move. In fact, especially during a cool move.

d) UT charge time shouldn't be so short. I was doing the instant charge techniques until I realized that they shortened non-instant charge times so there's almost no point to doing instant charges.

e) Casting Ninpo on a nearly empty room is actually far worse than casting it on a full room: the latter completely refills your health. In other words, you get rewarded for pushing the 'get me out of this' button.

f) that ship segment is way too long.

g) Easy mode is called "Hero" instead of "Ninja Dog", and you pretty much cannot lose in this mode. Once Ryu gets down to 50% health in Hero mode, he auto-dodges/auto-blocks everything. It even cancels uncancellable moves.

Everything unfixable mentioned like like it can be remedied by being removed or greatly reduced, except for story mode. They removed every puzzle/platforming section from NG2 to S2. So it's not like they haven't made drastic changes before.

SHAZOOM

Odd though... how would dismemberment (and obliteration?) fit with steel on bone?

Could they actually be ripping out SOB?

More like once you finish SoB, instead of just staggering wounded, the enemy is dismembered/missing a limb. Or they'll just throw it into the OTs.

CamHostage

Sounds speciously like Ninja Gaiden Black. Let's hope it's actually fun this time.

Or Sigma. I'm not sure why people are shocked at the double-dip/changes, this has been a constant in the series.

Hopefully it makes the game better and offers some redemption somehow.

Ninja Gaiden 3 should have been the easiest game in the world to make. Take Ninja Gaiden 2's fucking amazing combat system and copy/paste it into a more polished game. And then get rid of the enemies that crawl around on the floor and grab you and bring back the health system from Ninja Gaiden 1. Team Ninja Dog has no idea how to make games. At least, the Ninja Gaiden half of Team Ninja Dog.

beat

Or Sigma. I'm not sure why people are shocked at the double-dip/changes, this has been a constant in the series.

Hopefully it makes the game better and offers some redemption somehow.

Because the previous changes were tweaking an already solid game (NGB) or adding lots of stuff to solid games (the Sigmas). These changes are adding things that never should have been removed from the franchise like multiple weapons, multiple ninpo, upgradeable weapons, and dismemberment instead of SoB.

danmaku

ahahahahaahaha is this real world? TN released a beta version on PS360 and now the real game on WiiU? lol thanks GAF for keeping me away from NG3.

Bulzeeb

wait, this game is being published by Nintendo, don't you think that maybe they made some sort of deal to keep the aditional content somewhat exclusive?

Foffy

Banned
wait, this game is being published by Nintendo, don't you think that maybe they made some sort of deal to keep the aditional content somewhat exclusive?

I have a feeling that such a thing may have happened, considering how heavy the complaints were from the start.

Or perhaps they realized their idiotic decisions ruined the game, and nobody would ever buy a port of a game with the same problems.

Liamario

Banned
Return of dismemberment can not redeem this game. It's like spraying water in someone's eyes in the hope of blinding them.

You're a bit misinformed there, bro. Masato Kato is a freelance writer. He's worked on plenty of awesome shit. Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears.

2San

Everything unfixable mentioned like like it can be remedied by being removed or greatly reduced, except for story mode. They removed every puzzle/platforming section from NG2 to S2. So it's not like they haven't made drastic changes before.
Yeah they fixed some stuff from NG2, but made a other stuff worse. Hayashi is one of the most incompetent devs around. He has failed every time to improve on a former product(even if they only needed minor fixes), in some cases he made them a lot worse.

edit:Though someone else might be leading this project.

Top Bottom