• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

jacobeid

Banned
Please everyone, this is a thread Gies should be far away from. It's too positive and happy to be dragged down by him. We all know that MM is far from the sexism that Gies is trying so hard to imply.

Bizarre and I can only assume knee-jerk statement from Gies. I have yet to personally play another game that lets you choose a male or female character and then on top of that gives you an option of what gender identity you prefer to be addressed as. It's as sensible and inoffensive as is conceivably possible short of just going the sackperson route again.

Edit: Actually, didn't Polygon do a big "making of" article for Tearaway? Where was this question when given the opportunity?

Jafku

I really shouldn't of spent more this November but Tearaway for $30. I'll live with my choice and enjoy this amazing game.

Bizarre and I can only assume knee-jerk statement from Gies. I have yet to personally play another game that lets you choose a male or female character and then on top of that gives you an option of what gender identity you prefer to be addressed as. It's as sensible and inoffensive as is conceivably possible short of just going the sackperson route again.

As someone who immediately chose Atoi despite being a guy, I will admit that I thought the same thing (oh, Atoi is Iota backwards, so male is the default?). If we're being technical here, it's a minor manifestation of that Ms. Male Character thing the Women and Tropes video detailed (Atoi is Iota plus some nice hair and eyelashes). But I thought it in more of a "huh, well guess nothing's 100% perfect" way rather than a "FUCK THIS SEXIST PIECE OF TRASH" way. I don't know if Gies thought the latter either, but I really didn't think it was that big of a deal.

(Someone else mentioned upthread that Atoi is Patois minus the first and last letter, but I have no idea if that's at all intentional.)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who immediately chose Atoi despite being a guy, I will admit that I thought the same thing (oh, Atoi is Iota backwards, so male is the default?). If we're being technical here, it's a minor manifestation of that Ms. Male Character thing the Women and Tropes video detailed (Atoi is Iota plus some nice hair and eyelashes). But I thought it in more of a "huh, well guess nothing's 100% perfect" way rather than a "FUCK THIS SEXIST PIECE OF TRASH" way. I don't know if Gies thought the latter either, but I really didn't think it was that big of a deal.

(Someone else mentioned upthread that Atoi is Patois minus the first and last letter, but I have no idea if that's at all intentional.)

I really don't understand this. Atoi and Iota have nothing to do with "Ms. Male" tropes or male being the "default". The user is effectively asked whether they'd like a "male" or "female" messenger, and further asked which gender they associate with themselves.

They are paper messenger characters. Just because the "female" one has hair, eyelashes and pink bits doesn't make her an example of Ms. Male. Both Atoi and Iota were conceived at the same time, by the same people, for the same purpose. Both have exactly the same behavioural traits, abilities and motivations.

If you're talking about this purely from a marketing perspective (which messenger is used in promotional materials, etc.) then by and large, I've encountered a fairly even spread. Just because Iota is on the front cover and Atoi is not does not mean "male is the default".

Finally, if one was to approach this a different way and imagine there was never any Iota - that Tearaway was purely a game about a female messenger called Atoi - what possible benefit would that have? I won't argue against the idea that we need more well-represented female characters, and more well-written characters in games in general, but taking the flavour-of-the-month media analysis and applying it to what is probably one of the most all-embracing, and genuinely touching games of late is just petty and a waste of breath better spent elsewhere.

Hahaha, not only is that a great reaction to the end, but I'm impressed at the dexterity it must have required to pull off that shot!

Btw, aren't you at MM? How come you're only just finishing this off, if you don't mind my asking?

I am not with Mm. ^^ And I would've finished the game much earlier, but I honestly spend too much time doing costumes in the game!

Elvick

Banned
atoi is iota backwards...
iota is atoi backwards...

Just because some derp feels the need to view the glass as half empty doesn't mean it's not also half full.

I really shouldn't of spent more this November but Tearaway for $30. I'll live with my choice and enjoy this amazing game.
While your wallet doesn't thank you, I do! Anyone that's bought Tearaway makes me happy.

I want it to do well so badly. Dx It's so good.

Add me to the Tearaway Platinum Club. It also doubles as my first platinum trophy ever! :D Of the three "don't lose your stamp" trophies, I found Between the Pages to be the hardest of the three. How about anyone else?
I found that one to be the hardest too! Wendigo one was the easiest. The Tear was easier than I thought it would be.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I am not with Mm. ^^ And I would've finished the game much earlier, but I honestly spend too much time doing costumes in the game!

Oh right, were you there for LBP then? Or am I missing some clever in-joke related to your tag?
Congrats on finishing all the same!

I found that one to be the hardest too! Wendigo one was the easiest. The Tear was easier than I thought it would be.

Agreed. I was worried about The Tear, but took it slow and managed it on the first attempt. Between the Pages was a toughie.

Currently going back and calmly collecting stuff I missed, but I will Platinum this for sure. Sometimes I feel bad treating it like just a handful of "things to do", but one day I know I'll go back to it from start to finish, savouring it like it was my first time through. It's one of those games that will smack the nostalgia glands hard after a few years of hiatus...

Cha

Since I can play this game for longer than most other Vita games, I did a little test yesterday. I got 5.5 hours with 100% brightness, 75% volume, wi-fi enabled, and microphone on. That's pretty darn impressive in my opinion.

The platforming right now is GLORIOUS! :( Though, it feels like I''ve just taken my first steps toward completing the journey (bookmark spoiler >
Between the pages
). I'm so sad. I don't want the game to end :(

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just a friendly advice to everyone.
Tearaway has a simple platinum, and since the game is awesome many would like to get the platinum, my advice to not ruin the experience is either:
1)trying to get EVERYTHING at the first run(there are a pair of levels that needs to be replayed though)
or
2)just enjoy the experience leaving lots of collectables to make the second playtrough fun.

Why this advice? Well because i assure you that i loved the game, but things like searching many times for just ONE confetti(Confetto? Coriander?) in a long and dark level like
the cave
is not fun at all :(

PS:
I have learned that both the Italian "coriandoli"(colored pieces of paper) and "confetti"(candies with almonds and chocolate in a shell of sugar) are translated in English with "confetti" lol.

ijed

I've got 3 bits of confetti to collect that are on the little ramp in the tear and.....

Edit: I just got it first try after trying for days woo!

Just need to do those 3 levels without losing a stamp :)

RpgN

Good advice. Sadly, I should have taken it before completing the game. It's funny that when going back to collect everything, I'm still playing through the levels just for fun, even after finding the missing stuff. Good game with no filler content, but I felt like there could have been more puzzles that require you to use all the skills you unlocked in the game. The game did attempt to do that, but they were few and too simple for my taste. SCEE was sensible to charge 20 pounds for this, since it's a fairly short game.

About that comment from Gies...that's really reaching...I mean, I could understand what's being meant here but Tearaway is one of the last games you want to complain about from that perspective. The game gave you a choice and it never felt like the male version was the default character in the game, along with the female version having a good design. And if you're not happy about her design, you're given the tools to make the character you want. We don't have many platformers that give you that kind of freedom. Gies should keep his comments to games that deserve it and less to games that are trying and doing many great things.

Oh and 98% is complete of the game. I think some of the trophies are glitched with me. Mainly the one where you have to take pictures in every chapter.

oggob

Platinum obtained!!!!

Loved every moment of this game especially the paper crafts and paper theme, there was only one thing that I can fault in this game and this issue is pretty trivial.

The in game help, where I might have not made a platforming jump, but the game will sitil spawn me past the section I just failed... Doesnt always happen, but I would like to try and complete that section myself.

Basically if you have a Vita, this is one of those games that need to be in your collection, it really is something different.

Cha

iby1PEYxNwYKhu.jpg

Just completed the journey. DAT ENDING!!
Holycarp! Fricken beautiful! The last few words made my eyes a bit watery. Such a magical experience. Mm seriously created an astounding game.

Now time to go for 100% completion! Then play through with Atoi!
Tearaway is now my No.1 Vita game. Hope this isn't the last we'll see of this papery world.

soultron

Banned
I just re-wathed one of the announcement trailers, and there are a BUNCH of gameplay mechanics I did not come across in the game (tilting the screen vertically, using wind via the microphone, knocking enemies off with your voice).

Did I miss them or were they "scrapped" (see what I did thar?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6_QvdxyXQ

You can still technically blow particles around by using the microphone, IIRC. Try it on the snowy mountain area! :)

I can see lots of things being pitched but then scrapped later as time went on. Maybe they had playtesting that scored certain elements (knocking enemies with voice sounds like a poor decision for a portable game where you might not want to raise your voice in a public place, for example) poorly compared to others.

Number45

There was an article on Polygon (amazing I know) with the MM guys and they confirmed that they've taken a lot of the microphone stuff out, because not everyone is comfortable with that in public. Plenty of tilting in the later levels though.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just a friendly advice to everyone.
Tearaway has a simple platinum, and since the game is awesome many would like to get the platinum, my advice to not ruin the experience is either:
1)trying to get EVERYTHING at the first run(there are a pair of levels that needs to be replayed though)
or
2)just enjoy the experience leaving lots of collectables to make the second playtrough fun.

Why this advice? Well because i assure you that i loved the game, but things like searching many times for just ONE confetti(Confetto? Coriander?) in a long and dark level like
the cave
is not fun at all :(

PS:
I have learned that both the Italian "coriandoli"(colored pieces of paper) and "confetti"(candies with almonds and chocolate in a shell of sugar) are translated in English with "confetti" lol.
I have finally found it! It was over 2 bouncing pads but it was not visible on camera. :\

Grinchy

Banned
There was an article on Polygon (amazing I know) with the MM guys and they confirmed that they've taken a lot of the microphone stuff out, because not everyone is comfortable with that in public. Plenty of tilting in the later levels though.

I'm glad they took it out and I play mostly at home. I don't want to be screaming into my Vita.

zroid

Banned
by the way, how does the game pronounce Atoi? I've been saying "ah-twa" to myself, but please correct me if that's wrong.

hohoXD123

I was listening to the latest Rebel FM where Anthony was talking about how much he likes this game and is explaining the setup. He mentions that you're an envelope that is given life and that you have to deliver a message to the sun... When Arthur jumps in with this:

3Ds3F8Y.gif

Now, I have played the start of this game and there was no default character, you choose whether you're male or female. It seems to me that Arthur is reading too much into this and is insinuating a sexist agenda where there is none.

Gies, one of the least respected people in the gaming industry.

Atoi, or à toi, means "to you" in French. This clearly has a deeper meaning to the Tearaway world than Iota, hence Iota is actually Atoi spelt backwards and the female is actually the default, or whatever the hell that means.

soultron

Banned
Atoi, or à toi, means "to you" in French. This clearly has a deeper meaning to the Tearaway world than Iota, hence Iota is actually Atoi spelt backwards and the female is actually the default, or whatever the hell that means.

I went with this, yeah. The female narrator's tinge of patois to her pronunciation of the word further reinforced this for me.

Great game. I finished it the other night. Had a lot of fun. Wasn't challenging in any way, but the whole paper world and everything in it was marvelous. Game length was decent and it didn't feel too short. It was full of charm and character and lots of cool moments that kept me entertained. For it's knock down price, it was fully worth the price and one of the best games this year. Certainly my fave Vita game.

It's a shame it won't have sold very well thanks to Vita sales and little marketing for the game. It deserves to have a bigger userbase to be sold to although it would be missing some of it's key gameplay features. However I'm sure they could think of other gimmicks and change it up to make it work on PS4 for instance if they decided to continue the franchise.

hohoXD123

Great game. I finished it the other night. Had a lot of fun. Wasn't challenging in any way, but the whole paper world and everything in it was marvelous. Game length was decent and it didn't feel too short. It was full of charm and character and lots of cool moments that kept me entertained. For it's knock down price, it was fully worth the price and one of the best games this year. Certainly my fave Vita game.

It's a shame it won't have sold very well thanks to Vita sales and little marketing for the game. It deserves to have a bigger userbase to be sold to although it would be missing some of it's key gameplay features. However I'm sure they could think of other gimmicks and change it up to make it work on PS4 for instance if they decided to continue the franchise.

People keep saying this but the marketing was pretty solid in most of Europe, particularly in the UK.

People keep saying this but the marketing was pretty solid in most of Europe, particularly in the UK.

I'll admit I didn't see a single ad anywhere. Not even online where it seems to all have been taken over my Xbox/PS4. In fact I wouldn't know the Vita exists if it wasn't for GAF. But it's nice if there was marketing for it. It just completely escaped me. Still I already bought and knew about it, so it would have been preaching to the converted anyways :p

Sora_N

My gf bought me this for $20, so I remember reading something about unlimited paper.

I just started the game and got 3 trophies already (not sure what level I'm on atm since I'm not in-game), how do I do the unlimited paper thing?

I want to start customizing iota.

HardRojo

My gf bought me this for $20, so I remember reading something about unlimited paper.

I just started the game and got 3 trophies already (not sure what level I'm on atm since I'm not in-game), how do I do the unlimited paper thing?

I want to start customizing iota.

Here ya go.

Made a vine describing a little glitch(?) I found if you ever needed to use more of the same colored sheet when making your own decoration: https://vine.co/v/hU6W6dnJnzQ

Mind you, granted I say unlimited paper, there is a hard limit as to how much you can actually put on a decoration but it's pretty generous.

Number45

Gies, one of the least respected people in the gaming industry.

I went with this, yeah. The female narrator's tinge of patois to her pronunciation of the word further reinforced this for me.
Y'll are making me want to play this again as Atoi.

thespaff

Double Fine
I just re-wathed one of the announcement trailers, and there are a BUNCH of gameplay mechanics I did not come across in the game (tilting the screen vertically, using wind via the microphone, knocking enemies off with your voice).

Did I miss them or were they "scrapped" (see what I did thar?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6_QvdxyXQ

When we announced the game in august 2012 we showed more of an idea of the game than the actual game content, a vertical slice if you will. We'd been jamming on lots of different ideas, but as the game came together over the following months lots of stuff was changed to be more fun or more polished, and lots of stuff was just left behind for good.

If you watch the Sogport trailer from January, you'll see something a lot closer to the game than the announce trailer was, but you'll still be able to see lots of differences, things we changed or removed.

Actually, I'm going to do a Reddit AMA with Rex Crowle, the lead creator of Tearaway, in about an hour (5pm gmt) so feel free to come ask him about stuff, he's far more interesting than i am :)

Top Bottom