• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

Grinchy

Banned
Still loving this game. And still taking way too many pictures haha
497aec3ec6c842dce7b9267a607f747f8cbc56ed.jpg
8c11bd677f88a133c35582402a0140532767eb73.jpg

b5c89edef2fb95e38f8d60803575447de33daa8d.jpg
b4fbc7047e8d1b945d011c5c7fa3dc09cacbc7f7.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
I finished the game 100% and got the platinum now :) A really great game! Kinda ending spoiler:
Do you unlock anything special if you get 100% in-game?

AEREC

Kinda torn on this game...got it when it launched (along with Zelda ALBW and Mario 3DW) but Im only 24% through. The game was really charming at first but now it feels like I play for about 10 minutes and then get utterly bored.

hohoXD123

Great pictures! :)

Thanks.
Pity that nothing extra is unlocked. I always love that with games where you can 100%, to get some bonus for doing that. The game is still great though.

Don't really think this is much of a spoiler. I wasn't too bothered by it, the journey was so awesome that I didn't really care about any of the rewards by the end of it. The platinum is enough imo.

Great shots Grinchy, will share some recent ones as well:

Wonder how many people tried to wipe their screen because of those shots.

Number45

Don't forget the extra paper craft plans you'll get if you go for that 100%. The challenge trophies are fun to go for as well, some of the later levels are quite challenging.

NeoROCK

I don't have a VITA and don't plan on getting one, so I hope they port this over to PS4 as a downloable title.

Is there any way they could make the touch controls work on the PS4 touch pad?

Skyzard

Banned
^ Problem is it won't feel like you are entering the world like it does with the vita. You see your fingers come up from the bottom of the handheld into the game world. It wouldn't be right with the DS4's touchpad on top. They could remove the fingers stuff but it would be a real shame. Would also be harder to pinpoint what you are touching with the DS4 for some of the more complicated platforming bits later on.

Vita needs as many exclusives as it can get. It's also great for easy access to modern games.

oh wow I love this one

Taking pictures in this game is like an addiction haha

Same here, that one is pretty trippy.

And yeah it's very rewarding and pretty much effortless while feeling creative with such nice levels. Love it.

Wonder how many people tried to wipe their screen because of those shots.

I certainly did the first time I saw the hairs ha.

I don't have a VITA and don't plan on getting one, so I hope they port this over to PS4 as a downloable title.

Nah, not really. They'd have to mutate it into something else completely for this to work on PS4.

Number45

If you have a PS4 you already have one of the best reasons to own a Vita, why not pick one up and play this as well?

Chorazin

Great pictures! :)
Thanks

Thanks.
Pity that nothing extra is unlocked. I always love that with games where you can 100%, to get some bonus for doing that. The game is still great though.

When I got the Plat I unlocked an Atoi papercraft (I played as Iota), but I got like three Trophies at once so it could have been any of them.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
When we announced the game in august 2012 we showed more of an idea of the game than the actual game content, a vertical slice if you will. We'd been jamming on lots of different ideas, but as the game came together over the following months lots of stuff was changed to be more fun or more polished, and lots of stuff was just left behind for good.

If you watch the Sogport trailer from January, you'll see something a lot closer to the game than the announce trailer was, but you'll still be able to see lots of differences, things we changed or removed.

Actually, I'm going to do a Reddit AMA with Rex Crowle, the lead creator of Tearaway, in about an hour (5pm gmt) so feel free to come ask him about stuff, he's far more interesting than i am :)

Oh wow, thanks for chiming in. And congratulations on a fantastic game!
Pity I missed the AMA. Did anyone from here partake? It'd be good to get a transcript of some Q&A.

I too do like taking pictures in the game. Theres something about taking pics in Tearaway's world that make it look real, in a way. Here are some of mine.

bbc0b626ee5e5e2e4d6f05795bd4ec445cb0b0e9.jpg

92d3eff2af72bbd4c3eddac586c9686412977bdd.jpg

0bf6c66b891157061fc93735907b686624d23979.jpg

a88b49b40ca0f564b674b2ddc585726ddf6d58f9.jpg

Oh, and does anyone know the story behind Atoi/Iota's left eye having a default cross? Dont think the game says anything bout it.

sn00zer

I was listening to the latest Rebel FM where Anthony was talking about how much he likes this game and is explaining the setup. He mentions that you're an envelope that is given life and that you have to deliver a message to the sun... When Arthur jumps in with this:

3Ds3F8Y.gif

Now, I have played the start of this game and there was no default character, you choose whether you're male or female. It seems to me that Arthur is reading too much into this and is insinuating a sexist agenda where there is none.

Hahahahahahhaha WAT?! Even in the demo it asks you who you want to play as...there is no default...unless you want to say an icon on the left means default

I really don't understand this. Atoi and Iota have nothing to do with "Ms. Male" tropes or male being the "default". The user is effectively asked whether they'd like a "male" or "female" messenger, and further asked which gender they associate with themselves.

They are paper messenger characters. Just because the "female" one has hair, eyelashes and pink bits doesn't make her an example of Ms. Male. Both Atoi and Iota were conceived at the same time, by the same people, for the same purpose. Both have exactly the same behavioural traits, abilities and motivations.

If you're talking about this purely from a marketing perspective (which messenger is used in promotional materials, etc.) then by and large, I've encountered a fairly even spread. Just because Iota is on the front cover and Atoi is not does not mean "male is the default".

Finally, if one was to approach this a different way and imagine there was never any Iota - that Tearaway was purely a game about a female messenger called Atoi - what possible benefit would that have? I won't argue against the idea that we need more well-represented female characters, and more well-written characters in games in general, but taking the flavour-of-the-month media analysis and applying it to what is probably one of the most all-embracing, and genuinely touching games of late is just petty and a waste of breath better spent elsewhere.

All I meant by my comment was that "Iota" is a word and "Atoi" is not a word, appearing to simply be an inversion of "Iota." Also, Atoi appears to be largely the same styling as Iota, except she has frilly hair where Iota has no hair. All the "Ms. Male" trope says is that the female character is simply the male character, plus some superficial female traits to identify her as such. Technically you could say Atoi qualifies.

BUT! I agree with you in that I think these issues are largely overblown. I think Atoi has a perfectly good depiction that stands on its own, without Iota. In fact, I think you could easily switch the names and make Atoi Iota (and vice-versa) and lose absolutely nothing. I don't think either character has very much in the way of gender specificity, and actually I don't even remember if they say Atoi is specifically female (or Iota male). Finally: I played as Atoi and am perfectly happy to have her as my definitive version of the Tearaway protagonist.

I don't think it's pointless to engage in this sort of meta-analysis (as should be obvious by the fact that I'm still talking about it when I could just leave it alone!) but I think if Gies actually thinks this is a big deal, he's overstating the case. I do still think it's an interesting thing to at least consider, even if the end result is that we all decide it's not really anything.

P.S. If Media Molecule had decided to nix Iota and just go with Atoi, I'd be fine with that, just like I'm fine with Max Payne being Max Payne (and not giving you the option to be Maxine Payne). If it worked for the story Tearaway was trying to tell, I have no qualms with that.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
All I meant by my comment was that "Iota" is a word and "Atoi" is not a word, appearing to simply be an inversion of "Iota." Also, Atoi appears to be largely the same styling as Iota, except she has frilly hair where Iota has no hair. All the "Ms. Male" trope says is that the female character is simply the male character, plus some superficial female traits to identify her as such. Technically you could say Atoi qualifies.

BUT! I agree with you in that I think these issues are largely overblown. I think Atoi has a perfectly good depiction that stands on its own, without Iota. In fact, I think you could easily switch the names and make Atoi Iota (and vice-versa) and lose absolutely nothing. I don't think either character has very much in the way of gender specificity, and actually I don't even remember if they say Atoi is specifically female (or Iota male). Finally: I played as Atoi and am perfectly happy to have her as my definitive version of the Tearaway protagonist.

I don't think it's pointless to engage in this sort of meta-analysis (as should be obvious by the fact that I'm still talking about it when I could just leave it alone!) but I think if Gies actually thinks this is a big deal, he's overstating the case. I do still think it's an interesting thing to at least consider, even if the end result is that we all decide it's not really anything.

P.S. If Media Molecule had decided to nix Iota and just go with Atoi, I'd be fine with that, just like I'm fine with Max Payne being Max Payne (and not giving you the option to be Maxine Payne). If it worked for the story Tearaway was trying to tell, I have no qualms with that.

We're good sir, thanks for taking the time to respond.
I entirely agree that if Atoi was the sole protagonist it wouldn't detract anything from Tearaway. There have been posts suggesting that Atoi does indeed mean something (albeit not in English), especially in the context of the game. Maybe MM can clarify the naming significance, or just tell us that we're all thinking too much. Either way, the way I see it is that they had every right to choose, and in the end they gave the player that choice.

I enjoy meta-analysis as much as the next guy. I guess I was still on a happy comedown from finishing the game, and the last thing I wanted to see was a flippant remark from someone like Gies that effectively brought the experience down to the same level of discussion that other less fortunate games have been facing as of late. I'm not saying Tearaway's exempt from such conversation, but... just look at it!

VanWinkle

Wait, isn't Atoi a French word, meaning "to you"?

Forsete

Gold Member
I loved this game. Possibly my GOTY.
I love the experience of playing this on the Vita, however my mind drifted to a possible future PS4 game. It wouldn't really be the exact same experience (no camera, not all input devices etc) but I would really like to see their take on making it a PS4 game sometime in the future. I bet they could find new stuff to make up for the things PS4 is missing from the Vita.

Edgeward

Finally got my platinum. Had to load up each level once again and take a picture in each place in one sitting, but i finally got it. I hope to revisit it and play at iota so i can do some customizing.

Sora_N

Any tips?

I couldn't seem to make it any bigger and it was struggle to keep it 'on top'. I don't think it's the right way to do it lol.

5e41ded50e41fc1e62015b17681f1cbab5a821de.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
Any tips?

I couldn't seem to make it any bigger and it was struggle to keep it 'on top'. I don't think it's the right way to do it lol.

It's not easy but you could always make separate sections of the mask and then put them together, kinda like the guy who made this one, except you'd probably need like 4 sections.

ReQ3LSi.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
Don't really think this is much of a spoiler. I wasn't too bothered by it, the journey was so awesome that I didn't really care about any of the rewards by the end of it. The platinum is enough imo.
Yeah, it isnt exactly much of a spoiler indeed. I just wanted to use spoiler tags just in case :)

When I got the Plat I unlocked an Atoi papercraft (I played as Iota), but I got like three Trophies at once so it could have been any of them.
I think that is unlocked before you get the platinum trophy. I'm pretty sure i saw it on my list of unlocked papercrafts before i got the platinum trophy. Maybe you get it for beating the game though.

"à toi" mean "to you" (e.g. bien à toi), though I think that is an unintentional coincidence.
I think that it is intentional actually. When the narritive speaks, they say Atoi in french, and the goal in the game is to delive the message to You, so it would make sense :)

hohoXD123

Any tips?

Use the black paper as it is, make it as big as possible, plaster it all over the face, then add the eyes/mouth/bat ears on top of it separately.

Mik2121

Got a question for you guys without a version from the US, Canada or UK.

Is your game in English if you put your Vita in English?
My Vita is in English but with the JP store. The game releases tomorrow (about friggin' time) and I downloaded the demo today, but it's only in Japanese. I can read it but I still would rather prefer to play in English. Is the full game available in other languages?

Chorazin

I think that is unlocked before you get the platinum trophy. I'm pretty sure i saw it on my list of unlocked papercrafts before i got the platinum trophy. Maybe you get it for beating the game though.

Nah, it unlocked when I finally killed the last Scrap, which was what I needed to pop three Trophies at once.

I bought a vita after I heard all the great things for this game, just waiting on fedex to arrive. This should jusity my purchase until they finally release FFX on the Vita if they ever get to that.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been able to flip shapes around twice now, but I'm still not sure how I did it. It involves double tapping in some way. I end up having to tap like 40 times to make it work, but you definitely can flip an object around to get its mirror image lol

Baliis

I've been able to flip shapes around twice now, but I'm still not sure how I did it. It involves double tapping in some way. I end up having to tap like 40 times to make it work, but you definitely can flip an object around to get its mirror image lol

It's just a double tap to mirror it. Never had a problem getting it to work.

Top Bottom