• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 - Jin, Devil Jin and Josie revealed.

Mista Koo

Oh, just learned Josie Rizal is Filipino so she will automatically be my new main going forward.
It will be the closest thing to playing as Talim again :(

bwhojlchpzwpje4wtv9k.jpg

He's the only one created with fan feedback and he's actually the only one that mostly EVERYONE loved. No mixed opinions. No overwhelming hate.
They barely changed anything based on fans feedback.

Exr

Bruce has been my main forever and while it sucks that hes gone im glad muay thai remains. Really not into this kawaii cutesy bullsht though...im all for a Filipina character but her design is not appealing to me at all.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

The feedback went like this

1. Show concept art for character

2. Did the internet go berserk?

If yes, then go to 3a. If no, then go to 3b.

3a. Redo character design
3b. Ignore all minor complaints and finish the character

Bruce has been my main forever and while it sucks that hes gone im glad muay thai remains. Really not into this kawaii cutesy bullsht though...im all for a Filipina character but her design is not appealing to me at all.

He's not gone for sure, it was just presumption. Have hope, and show him lots of love in the face of Harada and co.

Sayah

but they obviously didn't mean to be offensive with it. moreover, there wasn't anything offensive about it.
I should've said contributing factor, I didn't mean that it could explain the sole reason why.

Writing God's name on the floor that characters are stepping on? Yeah, of course that's not offensive. /sarcasm.

It's not even a contributing factor. The devs have said in interviews that they had wanted to create an Arab character for a long while. They tried with Zafina but that character didn't connect with the Arab fanbase (because she's more ancient Egyptian) as much as Shaheen is right now.

It will be the closest thing to playing as Talim again :(

Yes, they did.

This was the original concept art.

Way too busy with all sorts of accessories and the Assassin's Creed look.

They also shortened his hair, made his beard cooler, and took off the gloves to give him dem rings. And made him more mature instead of that young look he initially had.

1407526703-tekken-7-arab-fighter.jpg

Sayah

I have not been following the Tekken series so why is Devil Jyn released after the other characters? Is he DLC?

Not DLC. Tekken is only in arcades right now and working on a time release system for the characters. So we won't know the final roster for some time.

Creaking

Yes, they did.

1407526703-tekken-7-arab-fighter.jpg

Huh, I just realized that they removed the waistband. Shame, as I think it would've looked good. But he did have too many weapons that he'd surely never use.

I have not been following the Tekken series so why is Devil Jyn released after the other characters? Is he DLC?

Time released characters. Staggered out for the arcade so that they have adequate time to work on each character.

Fraeon

I don't really understand why they seem to have made Jin even better in this game. He's pretty much one of the best TTT2 characters as it is so giving him buffs seems bonkers.

TheOGB

Banned
Josie's crying is even more unsettling with the voice. Pretty decent character otherwise.

Jin is Jin and Devil Jin is all of my created characters from Soul Calibur V Devil Jin so that's cool

Mista Koo

To be fair, not much really needed to be changed. It was a pretty strong design from the start, and they did make some adjustments.
Yes, they did.

They also shortened his hair, made his beard cooler, and took off the gloves to give him dem rings. And made him more mature instead of that young look he initially had.
As a Saudi myself I wanted it to be a bit more accurate. I appreciate the streamlining of the design but I hoped for more.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wish the character models were prettier. Disappointed in next-gen-ness of fighting games so far.

The problem being the games are either designed as cross gen, or on HW/engines much weaker/not designed for taking advantage of increasing polygon counts/shaders of the characters in that manner.

The fighting games today are a far more niche audience compared to years ago, so the trade off is usually using your budget for just making the game instead of upgrading the graphics and visuals.

Tizoc

Yeah I don't like Josie's default look, too generic anime/idol.
Regradless I'm able to tolerate her far more than Chloe :p Hope she'll be fun though and that she does speak the native language.
NANAY-MO!

Pachimari

She don't do muay thai. She does Eskrima and kick boxing.

Writing God's name on the floor that characters are stepping on? Yeah, of course that's not offensive. /sarcasm.

It's not even a contributing factor. The devs have said in interviews that they had wanted to create an Arab character for a long while. They tried with Zafina but that character didn't connect with the Arab fanbase (because she's more ancient Egyptian) as much as Shaheen is right now.
come on, man. if you wanna get into the details, i'm pretty sure in Islam no symbols are supposed to be given that much value - in this case, the arabic word for god which is somewhat symbolic is still not any actual representation of god whatsoever otherwise it would be consider idol worship, amounting to one of the worst sins in Islam. all things considered, nothing was intentionally OR inherently offensive, and I really just think the voice of Muslim people often just complain about things too much. a similar thing happened with a katy perry video, as well as littlebigplanet and both of those times I don't their arguments had merit either.

Zafina was supposed to be made to connect to the Arab fanbase? Hm, really don't see how. Shaheen looks like a cool character though, and a good guy ("I don't want to fight you", "I am not happy about this victory").

Creaking

One of the worst costumes designs I've seen in a fighting game, up there with E-Honda and Rufus. His upper half doesn't fit with his lower half! o_O

What really bothers me is that his boots are a noticeably brighter red than his gauntlet-sleeves. Just... why?

Sayad

She would have connected with some if she actually reflected that outside just being her back story. I bet she connected with some spiders though. ;p

I don't think she was meant as a character for Arab fans, Tekken team mainly noticed the middle east thanks to Tekken 6's scene, not during its development.

What really bothers me is that his boots are a noticeably brighter red than his gauntlet-sleeves. Just... why?
Also, who tuck their leather jacket, which have zippers, under their jeans! I want to meat who ever thought of that brilliant idea, I need to see how do they dress.

Creaking

If only they look like Soul Calibur women. Tekken's characters don't seem as serious or fighter looking as Soul Calibur's characters.

image.php

On a serious note, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Other than some obvious examples like Lucky Chloe. Are they supposed to hold weapons that they won't use? Wear armor? Some do.

Xianghua

Banned
image.php

On a serious note, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Other than some obvious examples like Lucky Chloe. Are they supposed to hold weapons that they won't use? Wear armor? Some do.

Ling and Lili and Asuka looks more like schoolgirls than fighters. And then you get a panda, a dinosaur, some more schoolgirls, and then a robot.

In Soul Calibur they all are equipped to fight and have a much darker and serious tone than Tekken. None are fan service. You see Josie and people complaining the way she acts after winning?

I actually prefer the more realistic look for the females in TTT2. Ironically, I think Dead or Alive 5 has the most realistic looking women at this point. The tides have turned. I like Josie's design though.

danmaku

Ling and Lili and Asuka looks more like schoolgirls than fighters. And then you get a panda, a dinosaur, some more schoolgirls, and then a robot.

In Soul Calibur they all are equipped to fight and have a much darker and serious tone than Tekken. None are fan service. You see Josie and people complaining the way she acts after winning?

Not sure if serious...

Ivy_Valentine.png

Creaking

SoulCalibur has that too though. Dampierre is a complete goof. Pyrrha is a crybaby. Sophitia apologizes in mid-battle. Yun-Seong is a moron. Xianghua has an attack where she throws a tantrum while on the floor.

Also, while I agree about the excess of schoolgirls and the like (between the official cosplay, the kawaii ending movies, Blood Vengeance being 75% "Tekken School Daze", the Tekken team's Summer Lesson VR game, and the entirety of T7's current female cast being 21 and under [save for Kazumi and maybe Katarina] I have to wonder whether Harada and co. wouldn't rather be making something else) I certainly wouldn't want to fight a dinosaur or a combat-designed robot. Just saying.

And anyway, who says you have to be dark and serious to fight? I don't mean to excuse the likes of Lucky Chloe inexplicably beating up martial arts masters through the power of idol dance moves, but how many professional fighters in real life do you suppose have dark and brooding pasts?

Well, at least she is in her 30's. That's a start in the video game world.

But then they officially made her stop aging with an extremely weak excuse.

Xianghua

Banned
Well, at least she is in her 30's. That's a start in the video game world. She would be 16 years old in the average fighter and equipped with much bigger.......eyes.

Also if I see Ivy in real life I would be scared as shit and wouldn't want to mess with her.

None of the fighters in Tekken look as scary as Ivy. Would you run away from Asuka or Josie?

Sayad

lol, you can't be serious! Ivy is equipped to punish in an S&M dungeon, between the see-through dresses, lingerie, mini shorts, etc.... The only female really equipped for a weapon fight in SC is Hilde.

"None are fan service" actually make me question if you played the games. >_<

Xianghua

Banned
SoulCalibur has that too though. Dampierre is a complete goof. Pyrrha is a crybaby. Sophitia apologizes in mid-battle. Yun-Seong is a moron. Xianghua has an attack where she throws a tantrum while on the floor.

This is the real Pyrrha. Her crybaby form is just a fake.

latest

Sophitia is just trolling when she does that. She plays a mental game which is important in a fight.

Xianghua's attack is a sneak attack which proves to be useful in a real fight as well.

Creaking

This is the real Pyrrha. Her crybaby form is just a fake.

latest

Sophitia is just trolling when she does that. She plays a mental game which is important in a fight.

Xianghua's attack is a sneak attack which proves to be useful in a real fight as well.

That's reading pretty deep into thin air.

By that logic, the schoolgirl "forms" of the young Tekken girls are just fakes. The real ones are them pummeling each other within the fights themselves.

SoulCalibur is my second favorite fighting series just behind Tekken; I've got nothing against it at it's core. I just think that you're more than a bit biased in it's favor. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it does tend to cause one to believe there's some objective way to go about arguments that begin and end with subjective opinions.

Top Bottom