• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I was playing Tekken Revolution recently, and I enjoy it vastly more than edgelord cringeathon Injustice. I know part of it is I'm just more familiar with Tekken having played it since the day I bought Tekken 3 in the summer of 1998, but the formula still works. I'm definitely getting Tekken 7 instead of Injustice 2.

petran79

Banned
Last but not least, the thread turned into a steaming pile of horse manure in the middle. Literally, it was the PS Brand that carried the series until T6 on Xbox 360. So yes, without being a fanboy... Tekken is synonymous with the PS Brand. System 246 and 256 were beefed up versions of the PS hardware. Same with T6 in the arcade.

I don't understand where and why people are so discontent with this.

Tekken and Soulcalibour are synonymous with Namco, just as Virtua Fighter is synonymous with Sega. Neither Playstation, Saturn, Dreamcast or Model3.

It seems Namco were satisfied with Ridge Racer Unbounded on Steam, so they decided to move bigger franchises to the platform.

Tekken and Soulcalibour are synonymous with Namco, just as Virtua Fighter is synonymous with Sega. Neither Playstation, Saturn, Dreamcast or Model3.

It seems Namco were satisfied with Ridge Racer Unbounded on Steam, so they decided to move bigger franchises to the platform.
Not Soulcalibur but Tekken has been synonymous with playstation as well

Caio

Best Tekken ever, and it looks so good. Gameplay seems excellent too. Can't wait ! Tekken is back in full glory, back to "PS1" era.

Garlador

I will admit, I'm a tad sad that Tekken - one of the last bastions of bucking the "season pass" DLC characters trend - is now all-in. I know Harada fought that tooth and nail for a time.

"When you look at DLC, whether paid or free, a lot of titles have it on the disc, it's not that unusual. I've been saying that, at least for Tekken, regarding techniques, characters and stages, these three things won't be charged for, even if they are DLC.

If I was given the choice to include paid DLC or quit Namco, I would maybe quit... Or maybe I would just say 'get someone else to deal with this',"

That does suck.

... But the actual game looks phenomenal, and I know they're pumping in as much content as they can before launch to justify the purchase and avoid a "bare-bones" release.

I'm torn on it, but I understand there is a divide between the developers and the businessmen, and they don't always see eye to eye. And in this respect, regardless of the suits decisions, the developers look to be as talented and passionate as ever.

I will admit, I'm a tad sad that Tekken - one of the last bastions of bucking the "season pass" DLC characters trend - is now all-in. I know Harada fought that tooth and nail for a time.

That does suck.

... But the actual game looks phenomenal, and I know they're pumping in as much content as they can before launch to justify the purchase and avoid a "bare-bones" release.

I'm torn on it, but I understand there is a divide between the developers and the businessmen, and they don't always see eye to eye. And in this respect, regardless of the suits decisions, the developers look to be as talented and passionate as ever.
Granted this is gonna be my first Tekken but from the way he talked about the Season Pass, it seemed to be a necessary evil to justify post-launch support for the game, which is something that I am fine with.

They've also stated that the characters in the Season Pass arent' going to be returning characters, so that's a plus in my book.

Harada said:

Rajang

That does suck.

Harada confirmed that you wont be paying for classic characters. Paid DLC will be special content. When they announced it they said that they hadn't even started development on the DLC yet.

With previous Tekken games they had to stop all updates and support for the game within 2 months because of the budget. The season pass guarantees one year of additional support for the game. Because of the paid DLC they can support the game for longer, which will include free DLC as well.

Garlador

Harada confirmed that you wont be paying for classic characters. Paid DLC will be special content. When they announced it they said that they hadn't even started development on the DLC yet.

With previous Tekken games they had to stop all updates and support for the game within 2 months because of the budget. The season pass guarantees one year of additional support for the game. Because of the paid DLC they can support the game for longer, which will include free DLC as well.

Right. I think it's a net positive. I just acknowledge it's a huge shift from their initial stance. He often compared fighting game characters to chess pieces, and if you don't have access to all the pieces, you can't formulate a complete strategy with those pieces missing (his analogy).

I'm actually totally okay paying more for actual extra and post-launch content, and not just "we locked it on the disc" stuff alongside a bare-bones release.

I totally get the benefits, which is why I knew Tekken getting DLC and a season pass was an inevitability.

LUXURY

I'm sorry but Tekken cannot design characters. They all look so bulky and fake. I'll probably end up getting this to add to my collection, been a fan since the first, but I just wish they designed a little better.

I'm sorry but Tekken cannot design characters. They all look so bulky and fake. I'll probably end up getting this to add to my collection, been a fan since the first, but I just wish they designed a little better.
this design on xiao is great. it's cute, and it's elegant

15392893_1767495013468076_3707827848910889411_o.jpg

Gaminar

Banned

That's a tame argument. Without Namco the product doesnt exist. I'm not being coy about what PLATFORM carried Tekken through the past few decades... here's a breakdown:

PS: T1-T6, TTT-TTT2, Prologue, Hybrid, Revolution, T7: 13 (counting T5DR)
XBox: T6-T7 and TTT2: 3
Nintendo: TA, TTT2 and T6: 3
PC: T7: 1

Common Games:T6, TTT2 and T7: 3

The Playstation carried the other 10 exclusively. This case can also be made for Ace Combat fans. Heck it even has more entries than Arcade itself.

That's a tame argument. Without Namco the product doesnt exist. I'm not being coy about what PLATFORM carried Tekken through the past few decades... here's a breakdown:

The Playstation carried the other 10 exclusively. This case can also be made for Ace Combat fans. Heck it even has more entries than Arcade itself.
yep. before tekken 6 dropped, the series sold 33 million copies worldwide, all while being a 3rd party exclusive series which is definitely an impressive feat. i wouldn't be surprised if the majority of sales still remain on playstation consoles
Agreed. It's a great evolution of her initial Tekken 5 design, and a huge evolution from her Tekken 3 days.
oh she looks way, way better than her debut. it's one of the few redesigns i actually like; wasn't at all fond of Jun's redesign in tag 2

Kaleinc

Banned
The animations are bad too.

I didn't know Tekken designed the characters. But seriously after several hands on with the title, I have to disagree with you. Nina, as an example, looks great.

Gaminar

Banned

You mean Tekken needs to revert back to more realistic T4 variations of themselves (Minus Marduk and Kuma).

Everyone had a real body (Lei and Steve as an example had proper proportions for their arts). I remember Steve coming back all jacked up and shit by T5 and even more alarming was Yoshimitsu... god T4 was so right in many departments.

Also, the lack of sexual diamorphism... When Lili is as tall as every other male (maybe she's a tall girl) or when every male is 6"0 with the same body proportions is what gets to me. Virtua Fighter 5 had it right. I do believe T7 has improved it alot. I can imagine Feng as an example being a 5"5 badass like Wolverine.

Lmao, Asuka T6 hands make me laugh the most though along with T4 Nina Polygonal cleavage.

The Artisan... you're welcome... referring to post at start of page.

Update: Dude calling animations bad... ok... name another 3D fighter better than Tekken?

Gaminar

Banned
VF5 nailed this aspect.

There is a clear logical difference in height, weight, body type etc.

VF5's animation runs circles around it.

Agreed with first point.

Super disagree with the second one. Even after finishing FS I felt that the only characters with proper animations are Jean and El Blaze... they felt complete unlike everyone else. The animations for V5 are super stiff for me as are the character voices.... Wolf, Lion and Pai being the main culprits. I think what VF suffers from is Hit Impact while Tekken suffers with continuity of fluid fighting that VF is so good at; ie juggles are there but reliance is minimal at best to win.

I think Tekken has taken a more anime type of route while VF stuck to the actual representation of the arts. Which is perfectly fine. I'm sure if Sega AM2 does VF6 it will and should have better animations sooner or later.

Last but not least... that new Eddy VA is absolutely horrible sounding to me.. he has no charm or charisma going in that voice. Monotone as fuck.

petran79

Banned

Another reason for popularity was that Tekken arcade cabs were also cheaper than Virtua Fighter. One reason every mall had at least 1 Tekken cab.

Tekken cabs. Tekken cabs everywhere....

Gaminar

Banned
Another reason for popularity was that Tekken arcade cabs were also cheaper than Virtua Fighter. One reason every mall had at least 1 Tekken cab.

Tekken cabs. Tekken cabs everywhere....

Lol, if one thing has taught game developers is that cheaper hardware can also give fun experiences.

lupinko

Apparently the console version at this time runs slower than the arcade version.

Harada pls fix.

Also arcade >>>>> home.

lupinko

How does the PC version compare to Arcade?

I don't know, these reports are from Final Round. They used a special prerelease version on PS4 at that tournament.

JDCR (who won the tournament) commented how he had to readjust, and that could also explain the rest for how the other international players faired. But still gotta give US players their credit since they barely even get regular time with the game since the caravan version that toured last year wasn't always up to date and now they're playing on an unreleased console port (or have access to vanilla at a Round 1).

Outside of 4K or whatever other higher graphical options, the PC version will probably be identical to the console ports.

Tekken 7 home version isn't Tekken 7 vanilla or Tekken 7 FR, considering that the home version is said to look better which I think I read from older reports from I think Saint and JDCR (Wonkey please confirm) and the fact home version currently has more stages and characters than arcade FR.

Edit: Remember the game isn't done yet, so nobody should start the sky is falling thing, and Bamco (unlike other Devs) usually does a great job for home ports.

But I'm also an arcade dinosaur who just doesn't like home versions.

Arcade >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Home.

That's really unusual. I remember a poster saying they had the PC version @ PAX East Dell booth and it was running at 4K 30fps, LOL.

Top Bottom