• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

she got a meter too?
what if they hadn't added his meter?

Yes, Eliza has meter. Also, I'm not sure what you're asking here. What would he be like if they hadn't added his meter and kept him as is? I imagine he wouldn't be as strong since it's part of his whole gameplan.

Akuma and Eliza get jump arcs that lead into extremely favorable jumping normals that crush most mids and highs the regular tekken characters have. It's really hard to anti-air them.

However, I think FADC kinda is a gamechanger. (i.e. in a real match)

Haha holy shit. That's pretty intense. I'm just getting into this franchise from a competitive standpoint so tbh don't take my word on anything. Is Akuma still considered one of the best characters since the last update?

AAK

Most of the pro's figured out how to play the Akuma matchup. And Akma isn't not as dominant like he was when the FR build first came out.

And everyone's got their own unique tier list so I can't comment on that either having never played the game. But the tier lists I did see from top players that Wonkey retweets don't usually have Akuma at the top. (Follow the guy if you want up to date news feeds about anything Tekken)

Doomshine

Is Akuma still considered one of the best characters since the last update?

Master Raven seems to be to most common pick for S tier right now.

We'll have to see if what happens after console version comes out, we already know there are changes from the latest arcade version.

dh4niel

I'm so hyped for this. Tekken is the only fighting game I ever really got in to and I've been playing it since I was a kid. Hope it's a good PC port.

Eolz

From what I can tell it's only in the collector's edition. There seems to be a bunch of different versions than come with all kinds of stuff (tiger patch, pins e.t.c.). The only thing I could find in my country for the standard and deluxe edition was this Kazumi metal slipcase:

Try checking here and see what's available: http://eu.tekken.com/#!/en/order

Wow, which country is that?
UK has nothing, France has the CE steelbook for the standard edition, but apart from that...

I really hope Jun will make a comeback as a DLC character; Harada did state on the record that she's just been missing, not killed by Ogre. And she's very popular. Then again, considering we don't even have Lei or the Changs in, I'm not holding my breath. Then again, the Jun I loved to play in Tekken 2, with her infinite fluid combo strings, is probably gone (I heard they changed her quite a bit in TTT2). T2 Jun is the most fun I've ever had with a fg character, aside from Lei. She wasn't very good back then due to her low damage hits, but her combos were so satisfying. We need more characters based on real martial arts, especially the graceful ones.

Fun fact about Jun: her martial art is based in part on aiki-jutsu, which descended from a martial art called Daitō-ryū that was created by a guy named Yoshimitsu a thousand years ago.

Numb

I really hope Jun will make a comeback as a DLC character; Harada did state on the record that she's just been missing, not killed by Ogre. And she's very popular. Then again, considering we don't even have Lei or the Changs in, I'm not holding my breath. Then again, the Jun I loved to play in Tekken 2, with her infinite fluid combo strings, is probably gone (I heard they changed her quite a bit in TTT2). T2 Jun is the most fun I've ever had with a fg character, aside from Lei. She wasn't very good back then due to her low damage hits, but her combos were so satisfying. We need more characters based on real martial arts, especially the graceful ones.

Fun fact about Jun: her martial art is based in part on aiki-jutsu, which descended from a martial art called Daitō-ryū that was created by a guy named Yoshimitsu a thousand years ago.

Jun's spot got stolen but secondhand Asuka

Just how tedious is it to learn how to korean backdash? As a Tekken nooblet I was kinda hoping Harada would have removed that execution barrier and just make backdash baseline safer, it seems very annoying to do. Or is it something only the very top % of online bother to do?

removed that execution barrier

They made normal backwalk -a lot- faster, making it usable. Unlike before, you're not dead if you can't BDC.

BDC is still better though. You'll want to learn it at some point. But movement in general in Tekken is something you'll just keep working on forever. Don't worry too much about it.

jbttwin

Just how tedious is it to learn how to korean backdash? As a Tekken nooblet I was kinda hoping Harada would have removed that execution barrier and just make backdash baseline safer, it seems very annoying to do. Or is it something only the very top % of online bother to do?

With some youtube tutorial help, it shouldn't take too long to get the hang of it. Then again, most people you end up playing online don't use it anyways.

Ok. Hope all is fine at launch, then.

Most modern Japanese machines are internet enabled... Asia internet that is which tends to be pretty good in Japan/Korea at least.

Hopefully that means the netcode is pretty good for the console drop.

And holy crap are you guys getting this on a Friday?! Most games come out here on Thursday but just realized that would be a Friday for the west.

I really hope Jun will make a comeback as a DLC character; Harada did state on the record that she's just been missing, not killed by Ogre. And she's very popular.

That's the kicker though, Harada said early on in Tekken 7 interviews the reason Jun came back in a forfrontish way for TT2 was fan demand for her, despite that, she was one of the least used characters in the game. -shrug-

We want our cake but to let it sit there I guess haha.

They made normal backwalk -a lot- faster, making it usable. Unlike before, you're not dead if you can't BDC.

BDC is still better though. You'll want to learn it at some point. But movement in general in Tekken is something you'll just keep working on forever. Don't worry too much about it.

With some youtube tutorial help, it shouldn't take too long to get the hang of it. Then again, most people you end up playing online don't use it anyways.

I'm looking at youtube videos and it seems sooooo much easier on an hitbox

https://youtu.be/EV1UBe7sHiU?t=328

Really tempted to get one

vg260

I'm still sad that they stopped trying to go for this visual style. That lighting and motion blur still looks better to me than Tekken 7 does most of the time, resolution aside. And no tacky CA...

Is the chromatic aberration actually in-game? I thought that's just what they did on screenshots.

Kumubou

An update on the controller support for the PC version: the game supports both XInput and Directinput at launch, so most controllers should work on the PC version.

They actually did make the base backdashes safer, since you can now let go of back during the backdash, go back to blocking and actually block (whereas this wasn't possible in older Tekkens). That and as SquirrelSoup mentioned, they got rid of the dumb shuffle step for the default backwalk and replaced it with something that is at least usable (that is actually rather fast for some characters, anyway).

There's a lot of small adjustments to the experience that aren't obvious that don't really hurt experienced players but make things less painful for new players, such as the backstep changes and the changes with regards to getting up (it's impossible to wake up back turned now, for example, and the wakeup kicks have generally been buffed across the board).

That's the kicker though, Harada said early on in Tekken 7 interviews the reason Jun came back in a forfrontish way for TT2 was fan demand for her, despite that, she was one of the least used characters in the game. -shrug-

I hope Harada isn't deciding the roster list just based on what's popular online, as that tends to skew towards what's competitive, i.e. the top-tier characters and the ones you can cheese online. I liked Jun because she was fun to play, and I think that's an important component for retaining the casual audience. Especially those that don't play online much.

In the home version for the U.S ranking Jun was in the top 10 of most used but obviously the U.S alone wouldn't be enough. No idea on the rest of the world, I recall japanese arcades not really using her a whole lot.

https://www.eventhubs.com/stats/ttt2/

Who is everyone picking up?

That's eventhubs profile/user inputted data though. Certainly a smaller sample of the overall player base.

Either way, I would not expect Jun anytime soon, though I did like her TT2 modernization (I'm an Ogre/Armor King/Jaycee player in that so I never used her lol) Unless there is some like "Jun has returned" plot twist at the end of this... which why not its a fighting game story.

cordy

Banned
Jun's great from a story perspective (hope she shows up in the story) but from a gameplay perspective, I'd rather have someone who plays far more different given Jun's similar to Asuka to a degree. Give her spot to someone like Lei, Julia or someone else.

Hey tekken gaf how do I apply my knowledge of 2d games to tekken? Are there any good guides or websites about intermediate level stuff? Should I just learn to Korean wavedash?

That's because Asuka is better than Jun....tbh. gameplay and contribution to story wise. *runs and hides*

Takes a lot of practice either way. You will find that you have even more difficulty at first switching to 2P side.

I play on and prefer all-button sticks, just don't get one expecting it to change your success rate because it won't.

I've always been more comfortable with a keyboard than a stick with fighting games, I'm sure I would love the hitbox.

Haven't played Tekken since 3 and I fucking loved that game.

Have they still been as good? Also are the newer ones/this one pretty friendly to newcomers? I suck at fighters but want to get into one and this looks pretty rad.

ZeroX03

Banned

Have they still been as good? Also are the newer ones/this one pretty friendly to newcomers? I suck at fighters but want to get into one and this looks pretty rad.

They've been up and down, but this is a pretty solid entry point after the last entry was good for competitive players but daunting to learn. T7 has a good chunk of single player and reasonable to learn.

cordy

Banned

T5/DR was great.
T6 is ok/controversial.
TTT2 is great.

They've been good competitively, but the art/aesthetics and "story"/continuity have fallen if you care for those sorts of things.

But 7 looks like a resurgence for what they're billing as the final chapter of the Mishima saga. As a series long fan (outside of the competitive scene I should point out), I'm hyped.

Top Bottom