• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

You guys could just do what I do.

Whenever I lose, I blame the opponent's customization.
It was either:

A) Too distracting
B) Too stupid
C) Too lame
D) Too cool
E) Too red
F) Too blue
G) Too dark
H) Too bright
I) Too boring
J) the default outfit
Lol at J.

But honestly, for me, it's just a matter of wanting just the single player component at least to look good. Something worthy of showing off. Something that makes it a worthy investment for the machine and tv I own. I've been saying this same thing for years now, but clipping, texture-starved, low-poly items just aren't something that attracts me to the game, nor anyone watching. It's corny AF.

"Whoa, you can equip a snorkel AND butterfly wings? What game is this, I must have it?!" is not something I imagine happens frequently.

Nor "dude, the graphics look tight. I remember this game when number 3 came out. But the ninja dude looked like some dumb alien, he didn't have those awesome clown pants and cowboy hat. I think it's time to jump back in"

Is that the same as what's in arcades right now?

Whhhhaaaatttt. That's pretty dookie.

Honestly 5 fights sounds good to me for arcade. Can get repetitive if you're trying to clear it with everyone the roster.

At $.75 - $2 per play depending on how much you load up on your arcade card at one time (bonus credits, mang) and the differing credit cost of a game, you learn to appreciate the extra time on the cab. Even if its just whacking moles.

Eliza can be obtained by paying separately for her, 30 days after launch. She's free if you pre-order (not from cdkeys.com though, they aren't offering any pre-order incentives)

And no, day 1 you only get the metallic stuff. But there's costumes and a new game mode coming in Summer so I don't imagine that's too far off from release. Maybe before EVO?

If you buy the season pass/DX edition. 'Standards' will buy separate, I guess. CDKeys T7 Deluxe page doesn't mention Eliza, so that would probably be the reason to skip buying it from there (plus the price just went up to $65, other places online are now cheaper).

That T5 Asuka outfit was so good.

And the T3 Anna outfit designed by Mamoru Nagano:
image_thumb387.png

And her sedate-but-tasteful T5 suit:
1432215844-anna-williams-closeup-player-two-outfit-tekken-5.jpg

And her T7...oh, right.

Classiest character.

Half the characters just get recolors as their P2 outfits. Others get their T5-T7 Vanilla defaults. You'll probably have to equip whatever their unique customization parts are to make a traditional P2 outfit.

This entry is looking sketchy as fuck. No P2 outfits? Come ON! I assume none of those crazy P3s either?

Gotta get that arcade money lol. Shame customizations seem to make the game not worth getting. Ah well.

The the non-generic items that the characters get in T7 is pretty good. Kaz gets an updated version of his T1 outfit in T7
An arcade game is meant to attract. It's no wonder Tekken sales have gone down while only appealing to the hardcore or people who already know what to expect from it.

The newcomers aren't going to be enticed by bath toys, street signs and ponytails-for-everyone. Nor if the characters still look the same. It's like they took T4's reception too much to heart and decided both gameplay AND visuals shouldn't change when I'm over here waiting for a visual overhaul to feel like a proper sequel.

Isn't this why Destiny 2 is being shit on? Gameplay shouldn't be the only hook if you have a previous game you could easily just as well play. Sure new characters, but what about them? They're not even featured in the intros as they once would have been. They forgot how to ATTRACT.

And I know the hardcore competive crowd-come-community manager types are going to scoff at my posts but I have a point. You can't laugh at this and then wonder why no one cares about Tekken. Sure, there's initial hype, but news of the modes and what's been gimped getting out to those who may not have been paying attention isn't going to help. We'll see I guess.

I'm tired and ranty. I should go to sleep.

Tekken 7 is number 2 on Amazon.

They have changed entire designs of characters like bride Nina and pirate Hwaorang.

They have implemented crowd and spectate friendly features like slow mo and rage arts.

They've included guest characters like Akuma to bring in new fans.

The visuals are an incredible step up from Tag 2.

But nah, no one cares about Tekken and Namco's just adding ponytails, breh. I highly suggest you read your post again and reflect. Saying Tekken 7 doesn't attract, with slo mo HYPE AF cam, rage arts, and amazing graphics is....out there. Tekken 7 is the most attractive fighting game on the market by a fair amount. If you think it's not attracting non-hardcore I highly suggest looking at its Amazon sale rank again.

Your post is grasping at straws on so many levels. Tekken 7 apparently isn't casual friendly because... new characters aren't featured in an intro? For real?

Gotta get that arcade money lol. Shame customizations seem to make the game not worth getting. Ah well.

The non-generic items that the characters get in T7 is pretty good. Kaz gets an updated version of his T1 outfit in T7

No reason to not have a Default (8-10) / Original (5) settings in the options menu for the home version :mad: . That's pretty lazy Namco. Only time cutting it short "made sense" was T6 PSP - "short bursts of gameplay on the go" and all that jazz.

I wonder who will be the easiest for me transfer to. I mained Baek and Alisa in 6, but Baek is now gone. I used to use Hwoarang a lot, but I found out I was terrible with him. I need someone else other than Alisa.

NEO0MJ

I'm also confused regarding which character I should play now. None of the characters I played heavily in TTT2 made it here, other than Heihachi. And who doesn't have a pocket Mishima?

She's gone...In what could be the last mainline Tekken of the current roster :'(

Bull. At best we're just gonna get Kazuya and Heihachi off the roster of future games, and I doubt they'd even go through with that. They sure as fuck aren't gonna do another T3 style time-skip again, both because of how well established most of the cast is at this point and because of how badly SCV blew up in Namco's face.

Pachimari

Has there been any updates about the swimsuits? Did they really remove them from the western versions of the game?

They should be in the game? I haven't heard of any such thing removing them from the Western release?

I'm diving all in on Josie Rizal, since I've been waiting decades for a Filipino character and she happens to replace my main in Bruce, so it's all good. But if they replace her or remove her from future incarnations then so be it. I feel like Tekken has one of the most enticing rosters in any game, most if not all the characters are so damn well designed. :)

Bull. At best we're just gonna get Kazuya and Heihachi off the roster of future games, and I doubt they'd even go through with that. They sure as fuck aren't gonna do another T3 style time-skip again, both because of how well established most of the cast is at this point and because of how badly SCV blew up in Namco's face.

It's gonna be such a cop out if they keep Heihachi and Kazuya for future games in the series. At least make Kazuya old if he survives this one, or age up Jin and purify him from the Devil gene. I mean, if both Kazuya and Heihachi stays in future titles, the hype for this game's story is all for nothing.

NEO0MJ

Anna, Zafina, Jun, Jaycee and Ganryu are all in my top 10 usage for TTT2, but you'll never see me complaining about the roster.

It's just, where do I go now. It's funny how when I decided to have Jinpachi and Ogre as my mains in TTT2 I kept telling myself "You knew they're not coming back right?" but I stuck with them anyway.

I'm mostly disappointed Armor King and Jaycee didn't make it back. Felt at least one of them had a good chance of making it.

Pachimari

I feel like all of Zafina, JayCee and Lei have very unique fighting styles, and styles that really resonate with the casual crowd. They are eye pleasers, and it's fun to watch these characters being used. I have no idea why Namco didn't see them fit for this release but it is what it is unfortunately.

Oh, really? I thought most people who played Tekken at least somewhat heavily could play Kazuya or Heihachi in a pinch.

Good Pocket Characters are usually easy to play characters​ that cover the weaknesses of the main. Unless you're already a Mishima main, you're just picking a harder character executionally which defeats the purpose no matter how good the Mishimas are.

Really? I mean this is supposed to be the last hurrah for the classic storyline and they axed Lei, Anna, the Changs, and Ganyru who have all been there since T1 or T2. And you think they won't do anything big next time?

Nah, I expect T8 to be a major shakeup of the cast. Most of the pre-T5 characters will be gone. Jin will still be there because he's their eternal posterboy, but Kazuya and Heihachi will probably tumble into the lava together. Paul will retire. Ling, Nina, Yoshi, Kuma, and maybe Forrest Law will still be around, that's about it.

DR2K

Banned
Really? I mean this is supposed to be the last hurrah for the classic storyline and they axed Lei, Anna, the Changs, and Ganyru who have all been there since T1 or T2. And you think they won't do anything big next time?

Nah, I expect T8 to be a major shakeup of the cast. Most of the pre-T5 characters will be gone. Jin will still be there because he's their eternal posterboy, but Kazuya and Heihachi will probably tumble into the lava together. Paul will retire. Ling, Nina, Yoshi, Kuma, and maybe Forrest Law will still be around, that's about it.

They're not going to pull another SCV.

Yudoken

I just thought about it...

The first costume mod I want to see is 2B for Alisa. At least then I don't have to despise her =P.

Also if anybody is interested here's a strawpoll asking from which game you come from T7.

Would be interesting to see what the results are.

I'm still kinda mad Julia didn't make it. I've used her fighting style exclusively since Tekken 2 (when I was like 5/6). I don't really know how to use anyone else as well as I did her. :/

Also half the cast of SCV were pallet swaps or mimics or the same character with a stolen move set. That's why it got backlash.

NEO0MJ

Good Pocket Characters are usually easy to play characters​ that cover the weaknesses of the main. Unless you're already a Mishima main, you're just picking a harder character executionally which defeats the purpose no matter how good the Mishimas are.

I thought their balanced moveset would be enticing but I yeah they are difficult to play at high level and their strength also means they might not cover weaknesses as well as more specialized characters.

Fitts

Hwoarang and Bryan have been my dudes since 3, but I'm most interested in Miguel and Kazumi this time around.

...and maybe Chloe for funzies.

Pachimari

How can everyone forget about Michelle. She was the queen and came back stronger than ever with such a nicely updated costume just for her to be forgotten about again.

But cry not. JOSIE will do that for you, too!

How can everyone forget about Michelle. She was the queen and came back stronger than ever with such a nicely updated costume just for her to be forgotten about again.

But cry not. JOSIE will do that for you, too!
Well I didn't but I already know Harada'a stance about her.

Menome

So, if I want to carry on my previous Kunimitsu tactics of a flurry of quick, if slightly less damaging, attacks before backing off and waiting for another opening, who's going to be my best bet?

Katarina seems like she's going to be pretty nifty on her toes, and Xiaoyu's apparently been buffed a bit, so could be a viable choice, although she's a little more 'technical'. Lili would normally be the 'correct' choice but I never really gelled with her in TTT2, consistently failing to connect with attacks.

cordy

Banned
https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/867329846736674816

Looks like he's saying they're getting down to shortening load time again.

1. Initial loading times have been improved, compared to the arcade one which takes a longer time.
2. Loading times can vary depending on stages, characters, outfits, and customization; they might range from 10s to 20s while Pro might run faster as a whole.

Tekken 7 is number 2 on Amazon.

They have changed entire designs of characters like bride Nina and pirate Hwaorang.

They have implemented crowd and spectate friendly features like slow mo and rage arts.

They've included guest characters like Akuma to bring in new fans.

The visuals are an incredible step up from Tag 2.

But nah, no one cares about Tekken and Namco's just adding ponytails, breh. I highly suggest you read your post again and reflect. Saying Tekken 7 doesn't attract, with slo mo HYPE AF cam, rage arts, and amazing graphics is....out there. Tekken 7 is the most attractive fighting game on the market by a fair amount. If you think it's not attracting non-hardcore I highly suggest looking at its Amazon sale rank again.

Your post is grasping at straws on so many levels. Tekken 7 apparently isn't casual friendly because... new characters aren't featured in an intro? For real?

Tbh. It's actually #1 now. Bamco almost sold out of the CE completely in the first month. Per Murray/Harada's comments Bamco's been pleased with the preorder numbers.

People will complain about the negatives more than positives. Tekken Team has been slaving their asses off to make this game and it really has a good amount included. It already seems to be the biggest Tekken launch at least since 5. The problem is that it doesn't come with certain characters and certain modes so quantity-wise people look at that and say "it's not as full as previous game" when really you can't put a quantity on the amount of quality certain modes have. You can't count the modes and compare them when some modes were barebones and you had to make due. Either way they've been working. Eventually there comes a trade off. In order to get those modes and characters we'd have to either take a hit in other areas. Team Battle? Ok you get damage in another area which people would complain about. You want certain characters in? Ok, this character doesn't come in. It's not as if they haven't been working as hard as they can. It just wasn't possible given today's climate and all they were given and had to work with. More than likely what happened is they spent more time with balancing, gameplay mechanics, stages and Story Mode compared to adding in extra modes. I can see why they wouldn't include some classic characters (DLC and to make the game in general appear to be different from Tekken 6) but for modes I say they've spent it on other stuff or Bamco held some back for DLC.

What it sounds like is people wanted an older Tekken with better graphics equipped with the same characters and honesty I can see why they didn't go that route. You're better off playing an older title. It won't be a T6 situation I'll say that right now. We can't keep doing the "ok new fighting game but with same characters all the way through thing" that a lot of fighters still do today. That's one thing I hate about certain fighter entries in the base game. Leave the classic characters for DLC as that'll make me want to get the DLC. If the base game comes with new people then I'll try those new characters out.

So, if I want to carry on my previous Kunimitsu tactics of a flurry of quick, if slightly less damaging, attacks before backing off and waiting for another opening, who's going to be my best bet?

Katarina seems like she's going to be pretty nifty on her toes, and Xiaoyu's apparently been buffed a bit, so could be a viable choice, although she's a little more 'technical'. Lili would normally be the 'correct' choice but I never really gelled with her in TTT2, consistently failing to connect with attacks.

Yeah, Katarina is quick, has an advancing stance type thing kind of like Kunimitsu's f+3 (Setsuna? I forget what it's called) and has a bunch of quick pokey moves. So that's a good pick. Easy-ish to learn too, so that's a bonus.

Other options you might explore are Alisa, Josie or Kazumi. Maybe even Lucky Chloe.

Top Bottom