• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 ships over 2 million copies

AAK

This is noodalls tests for SFV:

C7VMLjUVAAAW7Fc.jpg

MrCarter

I was expecting better sales as the series is the best selling fighter but I can see why it hasn’t reached the level it should have due to issues with single player content, online capabilities and glitches. Nevertheless I have to say well done to the team at Bamco and look forward to Soul Calibur.

Those are nothing to do what he said about frame drops or stuttering, those tweets are only about input lag that's it and none said it drops on og ps4

Looking back from my post history in the Tekken-GAF discord, it seemed to be the result of a bug introduced in one of the patches, related to the customization menu. Possibly a memory leak or the game didn't "stop" rendering, I dunno but it was a legit issue for a while. It was fixed in the next patch that came after it though. I believe it didn't have an effect if you just didn't go into customization though.

EDIT: from my post history in the discord:

V48vRJR.jpg

cordy

Banned
Speaking of T7 news, Harada said he'll add story costumes on Twitter as well so we'll see what happens with that. Either way, T7's pretty successful in Bamco's eyes. I'm glad that it worked out this way. We could have had a Capcom title situation lol.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
He made a fantastic game with a phenomenal story that concluded one of the coolest arcs I've been following since I was 12. Well deserved.

score01

I was disappointed in the arcade mode especially after all the shit the SFV got and as mentioned the load time are bad. Still the best fighter out there though.

Finaika

I think SFV is around 1.7m and that's only on two platforms whereas Tekken 7 has the advantage of being on three. With SFV: Arcade Edition out in January things will likely to pick up steam. Pun intended.

But SFV came out almost 2 years ago, whereas Tekken 7 was just a few months ago.

MrCarter

But SFV came out almost 2 years ago, whereas Tekken 7 was just a few months ago.

I’m not disputing that. Most fighting game sales drop off after the first few months anyway and I believe it happened with Tekken in last months NPD. I’m sure it will have legs though as it gets more content added over time.

He made a fantastic game with a phenomenal story that concluded one of the coolest arcs I've been following since I was 12. Well deserved.

IMHO I don't think it concluded much of anything other than
retiring Heihachi for good
and going to drag it out more as there was a bonus scene at the end.

Speaking of T7 news, Harada said he'll add story costumes on Twitter as well so we'll see what happens with that. Either way, T7's pretty successful in Bamco's eyes. I'm glad that it worked out this way. We could have had a Capcom title situation lol.

But still none of those mythical free updates you talked up pre-launch. :p

Still waiting for my Lei.

BigEmil

Looking back from my post history in the Tekken-GAF discord, it seemed to be the result of a bug introduced in one of the patches, related to the customization menu. Possibly a memory leak or the game didn't "stop" rendering, I dunno but it was a legit issue for a while. It was fixed in the next patch that came after it though. I believe it didn't have an effect if you just didn't go into customization though.

EDIT: from my post history in the discord:

V48vRJR.jpg
So only on rare instances then not common so it's not even a big deal as some make it out to be and with continued patches and updates it's fine overall.

Just because some top pros Tekken players don't think it's as good as on PC doesn't mean 'everyone must stay far away from PS4 version' what hyperbole

Usobuko

Banned
They will reach their expectations but...

It looks so low for the best selling fighting franchise.

Yup, it's very low.

As far as I'm concerned, the ship has sailed for traditional Japanese fighting games.

They should instead try to focus on Asia and sell the fighting genre to the audience there for a comeback. If they do, their games will likely be more favoured than Netherrealm's.

NeonZ

I was expecting better sales as the series is the best selling fighter but I can see why it hasn't reached the level it should have due to issues with single player content, online capabilities and glitches. Nevertheless I have to say well done to the team at Bamco and look forward to Soul Calibur.

Nah, in spite of previous heights, this is actually a recovery from TTT2, so it's a good number.

Tbh, you said that you were done with the game and done waiting plenty of times and yet you're still here too lol.

Yeah I do feel pretty salty about the focus of the DLC and lack of legacy stuff, but I don't know if I'm "done" with it. Haven't sold it or anything. Honestly just been too busy with other games lately. But I might pick it back up, it's just a big time investment to be at all competitive online. At the end of the day I just want Lei, man. A free content update with a couple classics and maybe some new stages would go a long way towards improving my mood on the game.

Raysoul

I played Tekken 7 on a friend's PS4. For casual play, the framerate, input lag, and loading times is not bad. I can pull off combos that I always do on arcades. Unless you really want to play like a pro, don't deter yourself from trying this just because some hardcore peeps are touchy about some negligible things for non-competitive play.

Ehhh... I mean it's better than SFV's situation, but...

Go on, say your objections. Even if I'm referring to the other Cacpom game, I'm pretty sure Tekken 7 has better features/modes at launch than SFV. Character customization is far way better.

Kumubou

tbf, Smash is the second (and third) most popular fighter in the tourney scene behind Street Fighter.
I think his point was that sales and tournament participation aren't even close to being 1:1 related. Injustice 2 has probably sold about 100x as many copies as Guilty Gear Xrd, but at fighting game tournaments Injustice 2 will get ~25% more players, on average. (And Injustice 2 is a much newer game, to boot.)

Man I wonder how they manage to front the production budget for the game, plus advertising, and then put on the Tekken World Tour events, put up the prize pools, pay commentators, organize the equipment for twitch streams etc etc.

I mean, it can't all be from event sponsors. I really wish these games had a bigger audience. Thankfully what the FGC lacks in size, it makes up for with crazy dedication and passion.

Fighting game events themselves are (or were in the past, anyway) designed to be completely self-sustainable -- generally the venue fees paid would go directly into paying for the venue and other production costs.

As for how Namco can front the production and marketing budgets to begin with? You should go take a look at how much money their Dragonball or Idolmaster mobile games make. :V

And I think they're making more from the sponsorship than you may realize. Going off the leaked Capcom presentation for the CPT pitch for MvCI, the top sponsorship spots are going for millions of dollars. Fighting game tournaments generally do decent numbers on Twitch even if the day-to-day numbers tend to be anemic.

So only on rare instances then not common so it's not even a big deal as some make it out to be and with continued patches and updates it's fine overall.

Just because some top pros Tekken players don't think it's as good as on PC doesn't mean 'everyone must stay far away from PS4 version' what hyperbole
The difference in input delay between the PS4 and PC versions really is jarring. A 4-bar connection on PC feels like it has less input delay than the PS4 version offline. It's not really Namco's fault (unless you want to blame them for going with UE4 to begin with), but it still sucks.

And as a weird side point, even swapping players and controllers is a better experience on the PC version than the PS4 version (which is rather rare for a PC game). Part of me does wish the PC version would be standard, but you would need to get some big eatsports sponsors to have that happen in the US.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Tekken 7 did great :D hopefully they sell even more.

I think injustice 2 is probably gonna be the best selling fighter this year bar none however

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Go on, say your objections. Even if I'm referring to the other Cacpom game, I'm pretty sure Tekken 7 has better features/modes at launch than SFV. Character customization is far way better.

Compared to Capcom's fighting games, sure, It's got a good bit of stuff. Compared to Tekkens of yore, however (especially 5 through Tag 2) I thought the final package was really lacking.

I think his point was that sales and tournament participation aren't even close to being 1:1 related. Injustice 2 has probably sold about 100x as many copies as Guilty Gear Xrd, but at fighting game tournaments Injustice 2 will get ~25% more players, on average. (And Injustice 2 is a much newer game, to boot.)

I know I know. I'm just being a Smash stan.

And I think they're making more from the sponsorship than you may realize. Going off the leaked Capcom presentation for the CPT pitch for MvCI, the top sponsorship spots are going for millions of dollars. Fighting game tournaments generally do decent numbers on Twitch even if the day-to-day numbers tend to be anemic.

Wait, what?

Can I get a link to that? I mean I believe you, but I want to read about this.

Treasure Battle is better than anything in Capcom's single player, for their fighting games.

Are you kidding? I love Tekken 7, like LOVE it, but Treasure battle is garbage. It doesn't even give you stuff for the character you're playing. It's no good. Tekken 7 is a great fighting game but it's just as barren, features-wise, as SFV, if not moreso. There's zero tutorials or trials.

cordy

Banned
Yeah I do feel pretty salty about the focus of the DLC and lack of legacy stuff, but I don't know if I'm "done" with it. Haven't sold it or anything. Honestly just been too busy with other games lately. But I might pick it back up, it's just a big time investment to be at all competitive online. At the end of the day I just want Lei, man. A free content update with a couple classics and maybe some new stages would go a long way towards improving my mood on the game.

100% agree with you on everything you say here. I can't be competitive online either with everything coming out. Yeah hopefully that comes.

Rajang

I play it on OG PS4 and never experienced drops or stuttering when and where do you encounter this? Also it being tournament standard I'm sure they wouldn't let this happen

I play both PC and PS4.

The only time there were framerate drops on PS4 was because of one patch, I think that lasted 3 or 4 days before it was fixed. The framerate would go down in stages like Dragons Nest in the final round when it started raining and there was a weird bug with customization causing framerate drops.

I thought tekken was 8 too?

No, it was initially 7.2 on PS4 and they only managed to shave off a measly 0.4 frames of input lag with a patch in july. So its 6.8 right now.

Mokujin

As an lifetime Tekken fan I'm happy its doing good numbers, but give me Anna and Julia already!!

HARADA PUREZEEE!!!

Excellent news, love the gameplay, though do feel the sp content is severely lacking compared to its previous entry, which I still play today. I hope they release meaty dlc down the line that adds lots of modes.

Rajang

Excellent news, love the gameplay, though do feel the sp content is severely lacking compared to its previous entry, which I still play today. I hope they release meaty dlc down the line that adds lots of modes.

Completely agree.

While I think T7 is definitely 'feature complete' for a fighting game, it's still lacking in content compared to previous entries. Remember that they delayed the game from early 2017 to June to add more content, and it still launched without a lot of classic Tekken modes. I just don't see how hard it would be to implement classic modes such as Team Battle or even Survival.

Also would love to see some classic characters announced like Julia, Lei
and Wang

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Are you kidding? I love Tekken 7, like LOVE it, but Treasure battle is garbage. It doesn't even give you stuff for the character you're playing. It's no good. Tekken 7 is a great fighting game but it's just as barren, features-wise, as SFV, if not moreso. There's zero tutorials or trials.

So? It still gives me loot to collect and an option to simulate online play, without the hate mail and me being trash and feeling awful about it. And as someone who primarily buys fighting games for single player and couch play, I do not like or care about any form of trial mode. I would have liked Survival but eh.

Just treasure battle has more replayabilty than anything in SFV or Marvel.

RK9039

So? It still gives me loot to collect and an option to simulate online play, without the hate mail and me being trash and feeling awful about it. And as someone who primarily buys fighting games for single player and couch play, I do not like or care about any form of trial mode. I would have liked Survival but eh.

Just treasure battle has more replayabilty than anything in SFV or Marvel.

Agreed, it's basically Ghost battle from previous games. Gives me loot for all characters and gives me incentives to try someone new.

All I used to play in Tekken 5 and 6 was Ghost battles so Treasure mode is something I can easily sink time into. Got to Tekken God Prime with a few characters already. In SFV all I had was basically online mode. Survival was garbage in that.

sibarraz

Banned
Hooray for games that include all content in the base game becoming succesfull!

Considering the fighting genre has been having a rough year, you take what you can get. Besides, it took Tekken 6 almost 2 years to get to 1,5 million sold units. Eventually getting up to 3,5 million sold. I can see T7 getting 4 million with this level of succes.

Hope that you preordered the game to get eliza

Neoxon

Hope that you preordered the game to get eliza
Eliza has been made available as separate DLC since July 28th. I agree in that she should have been separate DLC sooner (see Darkseid in Injustice 2), but at least you can now buy her.

MrCarter

I’m honestly surprised there was no tutorials or trials in T7 as I thought they would get the basics right at least. Come January I think SFV: Arcade Edition will beat it in terms of casual content, especially with their “over 100 arcade endings” in 6 different Arcade Modes (another basic) and extra battle mode in the pipeline - just a shame it took them this long.

I like Treasure Battle it bypasses some of the awful loading. Arcade is fucking garbage though. Story mode is passable.

Top Bottom