• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

I'm gonna chalk this up to if you play Tekken 7 on a 2013 PS4 you are playing the game in the worst possible way. Knowing Namco they'll probably give their game appropriate options for PS4 Pro.

Not playin' no damn low tier Tekken 7 round here.

Coda

I'm gonna chalk this up to if you play Tekken 7 on a 2013 PS4 you are playing the game in the worst possible way. Knowing Namco they'll probably give their game appropriate options for PS4 Pro.

Probably gonna buy it on PC myself. Just got a new gaming laptop with a 980M GeForce card so I figure that's better than a standard PS4.

sasuke_91

That's what I've always been afraid of...

Still not going to buy the Pro. I figure if I'm not happy with the PS4's performance, I'll build a PC.

I'm just afraid this will become 3DS Hyrule Warriors tier towards the end of this generation. That game is garbage on the 3DS and only playable on the New 3DS.

Tekken 7 lore available.

Chloe:
Donning her cute costume, she went out to show the world her dance moves and put other pros to shame. She quickly became world famous when her dancing became viral on internet video sites. (However, North Americans hates her)

JEWDDaZ.png

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Here's my continued issue with Lucky Chloe: Why is she in a fighting game? Even with this backstory, it's all about her dancing and wanting to be an idol. Her "fighting" style is free style dance. There's no sense as to why she's fighting at all. With that background, she shouldn't even be able to fight.

Ugh...

Also...

This breakthrough has lead to the creation of Gigas by enhancing the genes of strong fighters that turns them into fierce monsters.

Yeah, Gigas is Marduk.

What the fuck SNK, the game doesn't know someone invited me to a room? Who designed this shit? Every game has "check invites" button.

I'll ask someone to navigate this shit from dashboard next time. Thanks a fucking lot SNK.

Dug around a bit, and maybe you can select people from the online profile page, then join them from there if they sent you an invite/are playing KoF.. ?

GrayFoxPL

Hyperballing to the limit. It's Namco's role to make T7 run on normal PS4 as best as possible and it seems they're doing it. Don't expect Pro to give you anything more then higher res and better pointless VR mode.

Interesting Gigas bit:

With one development team being lead by Jane who is behind the JACK series of military units and another in G Corporation that recently had a new biotechnological weapon development breakthrough. This breakthrough has lead to the creation of Gigas by enhancing the genes of strong fighters that turns them into fierce monsters.

Jane would lead inhumane experiment program? That's Iffy.

And yeah that's Marduk in there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G Corporation hired Lucky Chloe and Josie is Tekken Force recruit?

qBKebHS.gif

Dug around a bit, and maybe you can select people from the online profile page, then join them from there if they sent you an invite/are playing KoF.. ?

Thanks, I'll check it out. I had some better connections today on ranked but it's funny that all rooms are Japan, Taiwan, HK, Korea, Singapour, Brazil ect. No Europe.

Dereck

Hyperballing to the limit. It's Namco's role to make T7 run on normal PS4 as best as possible and it seems they're doing it. Don't expect Pro to give you anything more then higher res and better pointless VR mode.
Well it won't matter to me, I'll be playing on PC

Dereck

That's what I've always been afraid of...

Still not going to buy the Pro. I figure if I'm not happy with the PS4's performance, I'll build a PC.

I'm just afraid this will become 3DS Hyrule Warriors tier towards the end of this generation. That game is garbage on the 3DS and only playable on the New 3DS.
Yeah, curious as to how it's going to turn out.

If you guys are getting the PC version let's exchange steam IDs when it's out.
Yep, yep

Sayah

she has collaborated with the G corporation and have signed a contract with them. She became a popular face of the company and is used in advertisements by the G corporation as the company image.

Woowww....seriously. Kazuya would be caught dead in his grave before he lets a figure like Chloe become the face of Gcorp.

Having been a big cry baby since she was very young
That's totally how you want to start the description of any respectable fighter.

Who's writing the story for this game.....I really would like to know. Comparing the Tekken 4 story descriptions to this game is like day and night.

Sayah

Kazumi's bio is weird too. It talks about her like she never died and became a demon lady. Like she's just 90 years old with Heihachi.

They're lucky this is a fighting game and a good chunk of people don't care about fighting game stories (including myself I guess)......doesn't mean they still shouldn't try to at least make something decent. First impressions are not good for the character bios at all. I don't know if they're looking to make this a bigger train wreck than Tekken 6's story.

Rajang

Its definitely not going to look as good as the PS4 Pro version or the PC version that's for sure. But I'm confident the normal PS4 version will look good, they already confirmed it will run 1080p/60.

And in a few days we will see how it runs/looks on regular PS4 at TGS anyway.

sasuke_91

Its definitely not going to look as good as the PS4 Pro version or the PC version that's for sure. But I'm confident the normal PS4 version will look good, they already confirmed it will run 1080p/60.

And in a few days we will see how it runs/looks on regular PS4 at TGS anyway.

Judging by the recent PS4 Pro threads popping up... I don't expect that verison to look that much better :p
But no, seriously, I think the PS4 version will look very good.

And that's the nerf'd Akuma version :p

@Rajang: As promised, a few things concerning Steve:
Steve is definitely one of the harder characters in the game, both in terms of execution and in general, but it's not too hard to "get started" with him.

Steve is a very stance-heavy character. He has a lot moves which transition to both his Peek a Boo (PKB) and Flicker (FLK) stance.
He's a generally pretty safe character. Not a lot of launch punishable moves and a lot of moves are safe if you cancel them into a duck or a stance. His mix-ups are very good, his tracking is also decent and his counterhit launchers are extremely strong.

His stances are safe since they allow you to maintain your defense.
You press f+3+4 for PKB stance. A lot of great pressure tools out of this stance. Your opponent will freeze in fear whenever you go into this stance in front of his face :p
b+3+4 for FLK stance. He makes a big step backwards. Some Steve players use this as an evasive tool (immediately after a tag in for example).
Albatross spin (just 3+4) has its use in some situations, but is generally the "stance" you'll not use as often as the other two. It can be extended by holding U or D.

His biggest weakness is probably his weak punishment. His strongest (standing) punisher is his 10 frame 1,1,2 with 33 damage. His fastest launcher is at 17 frames (b+2) and his stronger combos out of that launcher are very hard to execute.
He also has 2,1 at 12 frames.
df+1,2 at 13 frames.
df+1+2 at 14 frames.
f,f+2 at 15 frames.
db+3,2 at 16 frames.
uf+2 at 19 frames. Only possible for big stuff like Jin's cancans of Asuka's f+2.
In crouch he has WS+1,2 at 11 frames
and WS+1+2 at 18 frames (big launcher).

For pokes he has 1,2 of course
1,2,1 which can be canceled into all ducks, sways and cancels (~B for FLK, ~F for PKB, f+3 (or 4) for duck, b+3 (or 4) for backsway, 3 for sway left, 4 for sway right)
1,2,1,2 which can be canceled into a duck - I'd still not use this move too often, but you can catch your opponent off guard occasionally if he doesn't expect a duck and a launch
1,d+1 (~F for PKB, ~B for FLK)
1,1,d+1 (same as above)
2,1~F for PKB and ~B for FLK
df+1
f+1+2~F or ~B
d+1 (very nice low poke)
db+3,2 which gives a free 3+4,d+2 (Albatross d+2)
b+1 (amazing move that launches on counterhit, I spam this a lot :p)
WS+1
WS+2,f+3 (launches on counterhit)
d+2,1,f+3 is an amazing low poke that is safe on block. The last hit of the full string d+2,1,2 is high but launches on counterhit. Don't be afraid to throw it in occasionally. It can be delayed and your opponent might push buttons if you've always cancelled the move into a duck.

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot xD

A few tools you should always make use of:
df+1+2 is a very good whiff punisher. Decent tracking, knocks down on hit, -12 on block. It has very good range as well and can even punish moves like Heihachi's f,f+2.
f,f+2 gives a knockdown and very good oki. Your opponent falls right in front of you face forward and face down. You get a guaranteed db+2 or a combo if your opponent backrolls (f,f+2 for instant bound and f+3,1 for pickup), -13 on block and leaves your opponent in crouch, so be careful against Kazuya players.
db+2 is his "sweep". Knocks down with good oki possibilities (same as f,f+2).
qcf+1~B is amazing. Good range, safe on block if you cancel into flicker. Wall splats.
FC df+1 to get into PKB
uf+1 to get close to your opponent
f+3,1 gives a full juggle on hit if you get the timing right
df+2 is a homing move. Safe on block and launches on counterhit (strict timing for juggle).

That is enough for starters I think. I haven't even gotten started on his stances, cancels and juggles. Just his punishers, pokes and a few decent moves. And that alone was more than I thought :p
Do you have a headset? I can show you some stuff in practice mode sometime as well if you want.

I'd say Steve is one of the most fun characters in the whole game and trying to master him is very satisfying. He isn't as good in TTT2 as he was in T6 (or his broken T4 and T5 version lol), but still very decent. His T7 version looks very promising as well.

Rajang

@Rajang: As promised, a few things concerning Steve:
Steve is definitely one of the harder characters in the game, both in terms of execution and in general, but it's not too hard to "get started" with him.

Steve is a very stance-heavy character. He has a lot moves which transition to both his Peek a Boo (PKB) and Flicker (FLK) stance.
He's a generally pretty safe character. Not a lot of launch punishable moves and a lot of moves are safe if you cancel them into a duck or a stance. His mix-ups are very good, his tracking is also decent and his counterhit launchers are extremely strong.

His stances are safe since they allow you to maintain your defense.
You press f+3+4 for PKB stance. A lot of great pressure tools out of this stance. Your opponent will freeze in fear whenever you go into this stance in front of his face :p
b+3+4 for FLK stance. He makes a big step backwards. Some Steve players use this as an evasive tool (immediately after a tag in for example).
Albatross spin (just 3+4) has its use in some situations, but is generally the "stance" you'll not use as often as the other two. It can be extended by holding U or D.

His biggest weakness is probably his weak punishment. His strongest (standing) punisher is his 10 frame 1,1,2 with 33 damage. His fastest launcher is at 17 frames (b+2) and his stronger combos out of that launcher are very hard to execute.
He also has 2,1 at 12 frames.
df+1,2 at 13 frames.
df+1+2 at 14 frames.
f,f+2 at 15 frames.
db+3+2 at 16 frames.
uf+2 at 19 frames. Only possible for big stuff like Jin's cancans of Asuka's f+2.
In crouch he has WS+1,2 at 11 frames
and WS+1+2 at 18 frames (big launcher).

For pokes he has 1,2 of course
1,2,1 which can be canceled into all ducks, sways and cancels (~B for FLK, ~F for PKB, f+3 (or 4) for duck, b+3 (or 4) for backsway, 3 for sway left, 4 for sway right)
1,2,1,2 which can be canceled into a duck - I'd still not use this move too often, but you can catch your opponent off guard occasionally if he doesn't expect a duck and a launch
1,d+1 (~F for PKB, ~B for FLK)
1,1,d+1 (same as above)
2,1~F for PKB and ~B for FLK
df+1
f+1+2~F or ~B
d+1 (very nice low poke)
db+3,2 which gives a free 3+4,d+2 (Albatross d+2)
b+1 (amazing move that launches on counterhit, I spam this a lot :p)
WS+1
WS+2,f+3 (launches on counterhit)
d+2,1,f+3 is an amazing low poke that is safe on block. The last hit of the full string d+2,1,2 is high but launches on counterhit. Don't be afraid to throw it in occasionally. It can be delayed and your opponent might push buttons if you've always cancelled the move into a duck.

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot xD

A few tools you should always make use of:
df+1+2 is a very good whiff punisher. Decent tracking, knocks down on hit, -12 on block. It has very good range as well and can even punish moves like Heihachi's f,f+2.
f,f+2 gives a knockdown and very good oki. Your opponent falls right in front of you face forward and face down. You get a guaranteed db+2 or a combo if your opponent backrolls (f,f+2 for instant bound and f+3,1 for pickup), -13 on block and leaves your opponent in crouch, so be careful against Kazuya players.
db+2 is his "sweep". Knocks down with good oki possibilities (same as f,f+2).
qcf+1~B is amazing. Good range, safe on block if you cancel into flicker. Wall splats.
FC df+1 to get into PKB
uf+1 to get close to your opponent
f+3,1 gives a full juggle on hit if you get the timing right
df+2 is a homing move. Safe on block and launches on counterhit (strict timing for juggle).

That is enough for starters I think. I haven't even gotten started on his stances, cancels and juggles. Just his punishers, pokes and a few decent moves. And that alone was more than I thought :p
Do you have a headset? I can show you some stuff in practice mode sometime as well if you want.

I'd say Steve is one of the most fun characters in the whole game and trying to master him is very satisfying. He isn't as good in TTT2 as he was in T6 (or his broken T4 and T5 version lol), but still very decent. His T7 version looks very promising as well.

Wow, thanks a lot for this. I just needed some place to start, other guides were like 2 hour tutorials.

And yea I would be down for a practice mode session. I cant communicate through PS3 though, I don't have a mic for it. My laptop has a built in mic so its possible to communicate through Discord or even Skype when we're playing. I really want to understand the character. Not just to use him but also to fight against him. I'm mostly playing on the feel against Steve and just guessing most of the time. I have that with many other character as well. I've only been learning Feng since I started practicing seriously. I know most of the characters' staples and what most of their moves do obviously because Ive played Tekken since I was a kid but learning every character properly from a competitive angle is something else lol.

I've only been learning Feng since I started practicing seriously. I know most of the characters' staples and what most of their moves do obviously because Ive played Tekken since I was a kid but learning every character properly from a competitive angle is something else lol.

It's a lot to chew on for sure. My approach was to take it a bit at a time. If I'm getting destroyed by a particular move or setup, recreate it in practice mode and find out why. Do this over and over again until there's none left!
lol
;

EDIT: Akuma is out of control

sasuke_91

Does this combo damage seem low for anyone else or the opposite

cGtZsyH.gif

Looks fine in and of itself, but if you compare this to other characters it does indeed look very low. Especially Akuma...

@Rajang: Another piece of advice I can give you is to always watch Koreans play your characters. I love watching Knee's Steve for example. Even if he's not the best Steve player, he's still my favourite.
Discord sounds fine by the way. I tried it with Dereck once and it works surprisingly well.
I'll tell you when I can play. I... don't like my family hear me speak English >_>

Does this combo damage seem low for anyone else or the opposite

Low damage hits at the front of the combo, it looks like. Afaik the scaling is now 70% -> 50% -> 40% -> 30% for all subsequent hits. So if you want a high damage combo you need to make especially those first two ones count.

Rajang

@Rajang: Another piece of advice I can give you is to always watch Koreans play your characters. I love watching Knee's Steve for example. Even if he's not the best Steve player, he's still my favourite.
Discord sounds fine by the way. I tried it with Dereck once and it works surprisingly well.
I'll tell you when I can play. I... don't like my family hear me speak English >_>

lol, I have the same thing when my gf is sitting next to me.

GrayFoxPL

It's the first two streams in the archive. Our commentary was kind of... awkward, but it was very fun. Trash talk was fun anyways :D

Nice matches against RyuKazuya, especially at the end. Intense match. You should always play at that tempo and awareness.

Were you commenting the second part? Good English. That first guy pushed too much trolling, you(?) had better tone.

I pretty much almost never spoken english out loud so I'd be like caveman on mic.

Nice stream. Great play from all players.

Gifed the best part, lol.

1bpGTgF.gif

sasuke_91

Nice matches against RyuKazuya, especially at the end. Intense match. You should always play at that tempo and awareness.

Were you commenting the second part? Good English. That first guy pushed too much trolling, you(?) had better tone.

I pretty much almost never spoken english out loud so I'd be like caveman on mic.

Nice stream. Great play from all players.

Gifed the best part, lol.

1bpGTgF.gif

I liked my matches against RyuKazuya. He's obviously the better player, but I kind of figured out how to deal with his Kazuya, his Law was a big problem though.
There was a match were I launched him with 3 JFSRs in a row because I failed to do a bound twice. Some nice words from Ice_Beam as well^^

About the commentary: RyuKazuya was commentating my match against Coud_Syler and the match between azm and Onur.
Ice_Beam and SSJ_Luffy were commentating my match against RyuKazuya and I TRIED commentating the match between Ice_Beam and azm, but I realized I had no idea what I was doing, so I let SSJ_Luffy do the commentary alone xD
I had no idea what to say and formulating my thoughts on the fly is... kinda hard. It may sound weird, but it really is.

The gif you posted is from azm's match against Ice_Beam. He's known for his insane combos and you got a glimpse of it :p

GrayFoxPL

I feel like the threads on Gaming get dumber every day. It's not even worth looking anymore.

I mean... just... look at this!

You're right.

PC gamers here have right to make dumb threads like this and things like "Should Sony release their games on PC?!" They can post anything. They can call themselves "Master race" all the time, disgusting term that originally came from nazis. Special benefits for special people.

From Wiki:

While The Escapist continued to popularize the term's (or at least the term "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race") usage in later episodes for several years,[12] writers in more mainstream computer-related and gaming-related publications tended to avoid using the term because of its negative associations, such as Nazism.[13] In early 2015, Tyler Wilde, executive editor of PC Gamer, suggested the term should be abandoned altogether in an article titled "Let's stop calling ourselves the PC Master Race". "It worked as a hyperbolic joke when it was first said as a hyperbolic joke, and I did think it was a little funny to embrace the criticism ironically—for a moment, [but] when I see kids unironically boasting about their 'master race' affiliation on forums, I cringe."

Seems like this message never came through to GAF, neither to mods nor to master race morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom