• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

sasuke_91

Nice write up. Don't think it was spoilery. Got a good feel about the game, I think.

It's just way too late for me to get hyped up. That's the effect of waiting way too long for a game.

I'll slowly go through FF6, then maybe someday hype for XV will come back.

Versus XIII felt like it had a better atmosphere in concept trailer at least :p

Thanks for reading. I like sharing my thoughts about games and writing them down sometimes makes me realize what I like and don't like about a game. Expect a few LTTP threads in the future :p
Planning on doing one for the MGS series when I finally sit down and play those games!

I'm currently writing some stuff about the story, but that will be mostly spoilers.

Don't go into the game expecting FF xv XIII quality. Try appreciating the game for what it is (or what it's become). I'm surprised by how much I like this game even though it is heavily, heaavily flawed.
FF VI is amazing. Tough choice between VI and IX as my favourite FF game.

Edit: Welp, new page is talk about FF^^

GrayFoxPL

Thanks for reading. I like sharing my thoughts about games and writing them down sometimes makes me realize what I like and don't like about a game. Expect a few LTTP threads in the future :p
Planning on doing one for the MGS series when I finally sit down and play those games!

I'm currently writing some stuff about the story, but that will be mostly spoilers.

Don't go into the game expecting FF xv XIII quality. Try appreciating the game for what it is (or what it's become). I'm surprised by how much I like this game even though it is heavily, heaavily flawed.
FF VI is amazing. Tough choice between VI and IX as my favourite FF game.

Edit: Welp, new page is talk about FF^^

MGS? Wow, I can't wait to hear what will be your impressions. You'll see why I have this handle since 99.

I feel Gaf kinda spoiled FFVI for me with all those "Kefka this, Kefka that." posts on every rpg thread occasion, but what the hell, can't undo it, still having fun with the game. Hope it's big. I have started IX too(like all rpg's ever) and damn it's so charming, like an old fairy tale, but when I get back to it I gotta restart because I forgot the story and that's a shame.

Edit:
Thread was dead for few days, might as well talk about anything. "Official" threads are crowded as fuck.

sasuke_91

MGS? Wow, I can't wait to hear what will be your impressions. You'll see why I have this handle since 99.

I feel Gaf kinda spoiled FFVI for me with all those "Kefka this, Kefka that." posts on every rpg thread occasion, but what the hell, can't undo it, still having fun with the game. Hope it's big. I have started IX too(like all rpg's ever) and damn it's so charming, like an old fairy tale, but when I get back to it I gotta restart because I forgot the story and that's a shame.

Edit:
Thread was dead for few days, might as well talk about anything. "Official" threads are crowded as fuck.

I have access to all MGS games on PS3/PS4. Rajang was kind enough to give me a code for MGS 1 and the rest I got from a friend.
I wanted to play MGS 4 last year but AAK told me to either watch cutscenes for MGS 1-3 or play them. Started watching the cutscenes but decided to just play them myself.

By the way, what I meant earlier is that I started writing stuff about FF XV's story. That sentence was a little weirdly put.

Kefka is my favourite villain. He's so crazy you have to love him. He's just plain evil.
FF IX, in my opinion, has the best athmosphere. It's just a different world. And the graphics are really pretty and charming. Kind of amazing that a game like that was possible on the PS1. The game also has one of the best soundtracks and the ending is satisfying. Very well executed.

GrayFoxPL

Now you spoiled me that Kefka's evil. Thanks a lot!

lolz

Don't watch cutscenes! MGS1 is a pretty short game compared to others, you gotta experience it yourself. What is good is that MGS1 feels complete on it's own, script and voice acting is the best in the series and ironically it's because of the least of Kojima's involvement in western translation.

Ages ago I read(or heard on youtube, can't remember) an interview with Jeremy Blaustein(found it) a guy who was responsible for voice co-directing and script translation. And instead of translating word for word he adjusted it, shortened if needed be for better sounding and understanding material keeping the sense intact. You know like a good book translator would. That's why the writing, story and dialogs sounded so good and were interesting and exciting to listen to in MGS1.
Kojima didn't like any adjustments. That guy never worked again on MGS. In MGS: Twin Snakes they redid everything. All the voice work, writing and script to be more "accurate" to Kojimas vision.

Without "reasonable" translator like Blaustein the English scripts in MGS sequels became a mess. Just Kojima's never ending blunter, translated word for word. By MGS4 no one understood or cared what characters are saying.

I love MGS1 so much I would appreciate the sequels more if someone reasoned with Kojima explained to him that not everything has to be translated directly word for word to convey the exact emotions and information.

Death Stranding is gonna be such a fucking mess story wise, I can not even imagine it.

Wow I got down into memory lane.

GrayFoxPL

That was cool. Little tear in my eye, snif.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, shitload of games are coming out. After trying the demos I'll get Nier 2 and Gravity Rush 2 but not before playing through GR Remastered first. Nioh coming out soon and RE7(meh).

You guys getting anything?

Rajang

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, shitload of games are coming out. After trying the demos I'll get Nier 2 and Gravity Rush 2 but not before playing through GR Remastered first. Nioh coming out soon and RE7(meh).

Will be getting Ni-Oh and Horizon day one in february.

sasuke_91

@GrayFoxPL: MGS 1 really has great dialogue, but some of those names are just wtf xD
Who on earth calls a unit "Deepthroat"?

I'm already dreading those 1 hour cutscenes in later games o.o

Awesome! Tekken 7 might be the game that makes Europe relevant again.

Tried Nier Automata Demo today hoping it's a game I don't want.
Welp, the game feels and plays great. And the soundtrack is so T^T
I have to play Nier first though.

I'll play KH 2.8, GR 2, Horizon and Nioh at some point. Not sure if I'll buy all of them though.

GrayFoxPL

@GrayFoxPL: MGS 1 really has great dialogue, but some of those names are just wtf xD
Who on earth calls a unit "Deepthroat"?

I'm already dreading those 1 hour cutscenes in later games o.o

He was a real spy in the Nixon Watergate era.

Tried Nier Automata Demo today hoping it's a game I don't want.
Welp, the game feels and plays great. And the soundtrack is so T^T
I have to play Nier first though.

I'll play KH 2.8, GR 2, Horizon and Nioh at some point. Not sure if I'll buy all of them though.

I don't know yet but I don't think Automata has the same rpg world as original. And original definitely doesn't have the combat of Automata, so don't expect that.

Nier Automata for sure. It looks amazing.

Gravity Rush 2 i will get but probably not at launch.

Outside of those, excited for Fate/Extella and Persona 5. And i heard a certain fighting game is supposed to come out in early 2017 too. <.<

Pachimari

I paid off Resident Evil VII today. I'm gonna get Tekken 7 and Persona 5 as well. And I'll wait for Nier Automata and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite to hit Steam. I think that's most if not all for next year.

GrayFoxPL

Nier Automata for sure. It looks amazing.

Gravity Rush 2 i will get but probably not at launch.

Outside of those, excited for Fate/Extella and Persona 5. And i heard a certain fighting game is supposed to come out in early 2017 too. <.<

jQcyN9c.gif

Mizerman

Nier 2, Injustice 2, Nioh.

Tekken 7...whenever it comes out. ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

cordy

Banned
They need to come out with a release date so I can put my PTO in. I'm gonna take a whole week off. Pretty much tradition.

Same with info on a collector's edition. I still have mine from T6 with the arcade stick.

Hey, TekkenGAF. Longtime 2D player here, was always interested in Tekken but was daunted by learning a duo in TTT2 while starting from scratch. Recently started seriously investing time into learning it due to T7 on the horizon and a LDR being a big Tekkenhead so it'd give us something to do together. Couple of questions.

1. How common is it for someone to run a solo in TTT2? The few times I've felt confident enough to practice online I've felt like an asshole because literally everyone else is running teams, which makes sense given the age of the game but just wondering how much I stick out like a sore thumb due to only being comfortable with one character atm.

2. What is the general opinion of Hitbox sticks these days? I bought one about 3 years ago for UMvC3 and pretty much dropped it immediately, but I remember Tekken being one of the scenes they were REALLY controversial in. I recently started using it again with TTT2 since I have a lot of ground to make up, and it allows me to have a degree of consistency with things I'd never be able to hit on a regular stick yet (Bryan's Taunt->b+4, EWGFs). People don't make nearly as much noise about them as they used to in general, but are they still considered problematic or in a grey area?

Hey, TekkenGAF. Longtime 2D player here, was always interested in Tekken but was daunted by learning a duo in TTT2 while starting from scratch. Recently started seriously investing time into learning it due to T7 on the horizon and a LDR being a big Tekkenhead so it'd give us something to do together. Couple of questions.

1. How common is it for someone to run a solo in TTT2? The few times I've felt confident enough to practice online I've felt like an asshole because literally everyone else is running teams, which makes sense given the age of the game but just wondering how much I stick out like a sore thumb due to only being comfortable with one character atm.

2. What is the general opinion of Hitbox sticks these days? I bought one about 3 years ago for UMvC3 and pretty much dropped it immediately, but I remember Tekken being one of the scenes they were REALLY controversial in. I recently started using it again with TTT2 since I have a lot of ground to make up, and it allows me to have a degree of consistency with things I'd never be able to hit on a regular stick yet (Bryan's Taunt->b+4, EWGFs). People don't make nearly as much noise about them as they used to in general, but are they still considered problematic or in a grey area?

1. Solo is fine. You won't get griefed for running solo and you aren't at a disadvantage (other than having to know how to defend vs two characters).

2. Nobody cares really. All the Hitbox controversy is in Smash land now, everyone else is over it.

sasuke_91

1. Solo is fine. You won't have a partner to switch to in clutch moments or when you're on the ground and want to escape some oki. You have more HP though and enter rage mode more often, so everything is quite balanced and as Famicom said, there is no real disadvantage in playing solo.

2. Haven't heard anything about those in quite some time. Other than being able to do very clean backdash cancel and crouch dash I don't think they're all that special. Someone mentioned a great disadvantage with those once, can't remember what it was though.

GrayFoxPL

Damn what a bad day playing Tekken. My PS3 just went on "turn itself off" spree every 3-5 minutes now on Tag 2, even offline. Of course only on Tekken because someone clearly doesn't want me to play it. So I put a fan in front of console, cooling, still turns itself off.

Fuuuuuuck. I got 10% disconnection rate and no one wants to play me. Worst that the reset happened when guy was about to kill me so it looked like I ragequitted him as fuck. Felt devastated. Wanted to apologize but that would look like fake lying shit however I'd put it

Still wanted to play because I'm rusty as fuck and just wanna play. For reasons unknown the console didn't reset for next 4 hours. Was it the fan or pity of Tekken gods? No idea. Got in many fights and disconnection rate zeroed.

I did terrible. Just fucking awful. Haha. Partly because every fight I was terrified that the reset will happen any second now. Partly because 75% of dudes are rerankers now and starting fight you have no idea what kind of experience they have. But mostly because I sucked so hard I couldn't believe. Lost everything there was to lose and kept playing. I demoted Hei and Devil Jin like 5 dans down, each!

This is me playing:

3AFCkIw.gif

Hilariously bad. Just free. Point giver. Punching bag.

Funny thing was I still wanted to play despite my fighting form scraping rock bottom. Addiction. There were many people playing. Guys I strongly advice to hop into the game pretty often because if you're even 1/3rd as rusty as I, those wolves will tear you up. Everybody seems to be in training mode.

I just remembered I fought a Jin that parried 70% of my attacks, very impressive. Most people forgot all this shit. That dude clearly worked his ass off to be able to parry this well.

What a day.

yU40kyS.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Few days ago I played player match and I think I played one of these fake ranks or something? Purple Tekken Lord and Emperor team. He knew combos and shit but he went down 3 : 0 pretty easily.

Why would anyone rise up their ranks to such level without skills to back it up? To intimidate? But when you lose you look like an idiot. So why?

sasuke_91

I haven't really touched Tekken since I got FF XV and feel a big layer of rust on my fingers. Played with my brother 2 days ago and he destroyed me 4-0. I threw Hwoarang's df+4,3 at him 3 or 4 times although he ducked that move every single time.

I tried ranking some time ago. Full of rerankers. Got demoted to Berserker and up to Warrior and decided to stop for good. I'll play ranking in T7 again and this time for real.

When you look at leaderboards you'll see that the first 10 accounts for every character is a fake rank. There's a german fake True Tekken God who is at Brawler level maybe. He told me he faked his rank because "he could".

Everyone play The Last Guardian by the way. Unique game, can't really compare it to anything else.

GrayFoxPL

That Tekken 7 better come out real soon because I can barely play Tag2, even a training session. Random resets all the time. Over 12 resets online every session.

Buying new PS3 is a pain. Is there even a sense, because that would be only to play Tag2, one game. Other games play fine on my ancient PS3 and I don't wanna buy new usb hardrive to transfer everything to new console. Plus if T7 will come out soon that new PS3 with Tag2 would be a waste.

Hope you guys play me soon bearing those sudden resets.

GrayFoxPL

Happy New Year Guys.

I wish all of You to Tekken 7 get hear fast and to be badass to play.

Most of all I wish You to stay in great health and not get in trouble(stay away from volcanos and cliffs!). Cheers!

Have Lightning Screw Uppercut 2017!
PYWbNwA.gif

Ps. I've slept through New Year, lolz.

Sept 19 - Dec 27
December 29
WOOO HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017 EVERYBODY YEAH

On the up side... after 3 months of nothing, I finally had a really good opponent jump on the TTT2 machine across from me tonight. A.King, Dragonuv (3 wins) vs my Leo (1 win), single. Such crispy movement. I guess I have to work on that if I want to continue trawling the arcade when T7 shows up at Round 1 some time this decade :^/

Top Bottom