• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

One pic has the EU rating, the other the ESRB rating pending.

Is it gonna be different pre-order stuff for the regions? I hope not, and it's just a mix-up, hehe.

GrayFoxPL

I never saw that commercial (I'm in NA). Holy shit that was cool.
I've always loved this magazine ad:

Yeah,back then I recorded it on VHS and watched it 100s times. I was blown away in the Nineties by it.

That magazine ad, haha. They all had these cheesy jokes. ;)

eRjVKkV.jpg

To me, the wait isn't that bad because I haven't invested in watching people play the beta nearly as much as many of you. I barely know how the new characters play, what the new moves and properties are, the stages, the soundtrack etc. I've peeked in from time to time, watched some links, youtubed some stuff. I don't even fully understand rage arts (Tekken Xrays?). I'll learn when I get it and I look forward to the potential trickle of info going forward.

I was upset with it's initial unveiling (vanilla) which kept me away but I saw promise with FR. I can wait.

I actually had my 7 year old play T1-3 tonight.

Sayah

Early 2017
giphy.gif

Tekken DLC will never cost extra for new fighters, says Harada
”I see the characters and their move sets as chess pieces," the producer explained to attendees at last week's Las Vegas-hosted Namco Bandai Global Gamer Day: ”they are essential items necessary in the game and we would never sell any of those individually."
mj-laughing.gif

It's past the point of outrage for me with Tekken. I really can't bother to care for this franchise anymore than I already have but to recap one final and last time why namco is a piece of garbage:
  1. Revealed Tekken 7 at EVO 2014 in cg trailer form out of nowhere to a largely western audience that wouldn't get to play the game for another three years.
  2. Released a rushed vanilla version in arcades with largely recycled customs and little to no innovative gameplay changes from Tekken 6, to the point that the primary changes were easily replicated in Tekken 6 PSP mods.
  3. Released some of the worst new character designs in series history.
  4. Had the Tekken team work on Rise of Incarnates (released and now dead), TKXSF (ongoing development), Pokken Tournament (released), Summer Lesson (released), Smash Bros DLC (released), and Lost Reavers (released) while continuously delaying Tekken 7 so they can milk those arcade profits.
  5. Held two EVO tournaments and KotIF despite knowing how uneven the playing fields were for everyone outside of Japan/Korea.
  6. Decided to reward fans (/s) who have been waiting two years by announcing season pass and paid character DLC, thereby revoking the head producer's promise and eliminating the longstanding tradition the series had held up to this point.
  7. Established the largest time gap between arcade release to console release, shattering the Tekken 6 record, while advertising a 20th Anniversary celebration that long passed and provided nothing to worldwide fans.

Meanwhile, Netherealm released MKX and Injustice 2 in the same time frame that Tekken 7 will release on consoles with just as good or better story mode.

AllenShrz

I wonder how many copies of this game I'll buy...

2 Deluxe for PS4 (one for JPN and other for NA) and the Steam ver.

Edit.

With Namco being so JP/KR focused, to the detriment of the western market, I wonder how it will do at the end. Another SFV fiasco? How knows.

GrayFoxPL

giphy.gif

Tekken DLC will never cost extra for new fighters, says Harada

mj-laughing.gif

It's past the point of outrage for me with Tekken. I really can't bother to care for this franchise anymore than I already have but to recap one final and last time why namco is a piece of garbage:
  1. Revealed Tekken 7 at EVO 2014 in cg trailer form out of nowhere to a largely western audience that wouldn't get to play the game for another three years.
  2. Released a rushed vanilla version in arcades with largely recycled customs and little to no innovative gameplay changes from Tekken 6, to the point that the primary changes were easily replicated in Tekken 6 PSP mods.
  3. Released some of the worst new character designs in series history.
  4. Had the Tekken team work on Rise of Incarnates (released and now dead), TKXSF (ongoing development), Pokken Tournament (released), Summer Lesson (released), Smash Bros DLC (released), and Lost Reavers (released) while continuously delaying Tekken 7 so they can milk those arcade profits.
  5. Held two EVO tournaments and KotIF despite knowing how uneven the playing fields were for everyone outside of Japan/Korea.
  6. Decided to reward fans (/s) who have been waiting two years by announcing season pass and paid character DLC, thereby revoking the head producer's promise and eliminating the longstanding tradition the series had held up to this point.
  7. Established the largest time gap between arcade release to console release, shattering the Tekken 6 record, while advertising a 20th Anniversary celebration that long passed and provided nothing to worldwide fans.

Meanwhile, Netherealm released MKX and Injustice 2 in the same time frame that Tekken 7 will release on consoles.

8EZR1YL.gif

au57Fyq.gif

Damn straight brother.

Sayah

You say that like the latter two are automatically bad things.

It is bad when the game's head director/producer committed to not releasing paid DLC characters.

"We use the arcade profits to bring all the bells and whistles to the console version that fans really love."
"The bells and whistles are going to be locked behind a season pass/paid DLC."

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with season passes or paid DLC. The former cuts out the overall price of some DLC I was already gonna pick up, and the latter can be used to help support a developer.

The problem is Tekken's aversion to paid DLC for characters (and I think stages?) has been flipped, in addition to a delay of a game people have been waiting on for years.

And then, after months of teasing, these dudes are like "yo, sorry for the delay, buy the season pass". Like, it doesn't feel like there's anything in return for the fans. A more polished game is great, don't get me wrong. But I'd be lying if I didn't feel like a positive thing would have soften the blow. A demo, maybe? I dunno. Just something.

It is bad when the game's head director/producer committed to not releasing paid DLC characters.

"We use the arcade profits to bring all the bells and whistles to the console version that fans really love."
"The bells and whistles are going to be locked behind a season pass/paid DLC."

Well hey shit changes and honestly this is for the better for the series. I agree this wouldn't feel as bad it's the wait wasn't so long but The series needed stuff like this for post launch.

Rajang

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with season passes or paid DLC. The former cuts out the overall price of some DLC I was already gonna pick up, and the latter can be used to help support a developer.

The problem is Tekken's aversion to paid DLC for characters (and I think stages?) has been flipped, in addition to a delay of a game people have been waiting on for years.

And then, after months of teasing, these dudes are like "yo, sorry for the delay, buy the season pass". Like, it doesn't feel like there's anything in return for the fans. A more polished game is great, don't get me wrong. But I'd be lying if I didn't feel like a positive thing would have soften the blow. A demo, maybe? I dunno. Just something.

lol exactly.

GrayFoxPL

Thx! I read your initial reaction and said the same thing. :p

We need DoA6 and VF6 to be announced already and help fill the 3D fighter gap.

I'd fucking clap and laugh if VF6 suddenly showed up and kicked Namco's asses. And I'm saying this as a Tekken fan since the very first.

I'll admit. It seems like we're the only original posters here sometimes. I've lost track of who's who.
giphy.gif

We're getting thinner bro.

awlP6qk.gif

Sorry I don't have sources on hand, but I definitely recall reading from Harada that this DLC policy was his idea as presented to his bosses, and they reluctantly bought into it for TTT2. BUT, when TTT2 didn't meet sales expectations, that DLC policy was no longer going to be followed.

In addition to that, for quite a while the team has been asking the fans how receptive they would be to DLC, and many fans were on board. The costumes in Tekken Revolution were a direct result of this.

GrayFoxPL

Sorry I don't have sources on hand, but I definitely recall reading from Harada that this DLC policy was his idea as presented to his bosses, and they reluctantly bought into it for TTT2. BUT, when TTT2 didn't meet sales expectations, that DLC policy was no longer going to be followed.

In addition to that, for quite a while the team has been asking the fans how receptive they would be to DLC, and many fans were on board. The costumes in Tekken Revolution were a direct result of this.

You're right, dlc costumes, dlc items, all that shit, but I doubt anyone was on board for dlc characters. If the dlc characters will be brand new made from the ground up, not old copy pasted movesets and animations then fine. But what if they're the old characters, how will they justify that? "Ummm, we brought back these old characters, you know those who were always there. Yeah, the same. Julia, Ganryu and shit. We gave them 3 new moves. Pay us for them now."

You're right, dlc costumes, dlc items, all that shit, but I doubt anyone was on board for dlc characters. If the dlc characters will be brand new made from the ground up, not old copy pasted movesets and animations then fine. But what if they're the old characters, how will they justify that? "Ummm, we brought back these old characters, you know those who were always there. Yeah, the same. Julia, Ganryu and shit. We gave them 3 new moves. Pay us for them now."

you should see the replies to whenever Harada says something along the lines of

"People actually want DLC"

You'll get like 75% yes and 25% nos....

Sayah

I would love a source on that because I don't recall anything remotely close to that. He wouldn't be using language like "they are essential items necessary in the game and we would never sell any of those individually" if it was a one-time conditional policy. I have nothing against paid DLC but when you make fans wait 3 years from reveal date and then make them buy characters (Eliza) if they don't pre-order, that's effectively revoking these past statements.

I'd fucking clap and laugh if VF6 suddenly showed up and kicked Namco's asses. And I'm saying this as a Tekken fan since the very first.

I would love that too.

I didn't find the quote I was looking for, but I found something similar:

Via Twitter

Harada said:
But I said "TTT2 New Contents = FREE (Except old contents ex: PAST TEKKEN sound tracks etc).
It's TTT2 rule(but only TTT2 rule)...

And a few more times.

Harada said:
Whatever, I said I don't do paid DLC character THIS TIME(TTT2). RT@Alexxxix1 I'd not mind paid DLC. I'd pay more chars like Shin

Harada said:

Sayah

I didn't find the quote I was looking for, but I found something similar:

Via Twitter

Yeah, that's in clear contradiction to what's said in the article, and the article I linked is older (before TTT2 released). Those tweets he made were after TTT2 released. I imagine the lower than expected sales led him to go back on his words.

GrayFoxPL

On a lighter note: T7 Steve is basically unwatchable since a month or more. Ever since they put these back in for Steve and everyone is equipping them. They are even bigger and more obnoxious then in previous games!

sasuke_91

Deluxe Edition costs 95€. Yeahhh... no. I'll wait.
Good thing Sayah is back. I was waiting for your reaction. Can't say I disagree.

Nuszka

Yoshi from T2 (P1) is my number 1 request to be honest. A straight recreation, not some alternate look with long hair or crazy appendages or fancy tech added to his outfit. Just a higher polygon, higher res version of the T2 outfit.

Edit: This:
180px-yoshimitsut222csyv.jpg

(Maybe add some joints in the armor)

Man , how could I forget that Yoshi ? Give me that as well and his stage from that part. The music from it is still in my workout playlist.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Because greedy motherfucking pieces of shit are in charge? Just an idea?

I give all my thanks and appreciation for hard working code crunchers, artists, programmers, musicians and testers over at Tekken Project Team.

All the others, PR lairs, people in charge, fat greedy fishes at Namco, they all can go fuck themselves in the ass with a rusty screwdriver.

It's almost like companies exist to make money, not pander to complaining fans.

Weird.

Pachimari

I need that classic yellow suit from Tekken 2 for Marshall Law. Please Harada. And Markman. I think that's a favorite among many Tekken fans.

Clearly dlc characters or just dlc?

Not clarified dlc may be anything.

DLC period. A lot of people see merit in post release content for FGs. It's really what keeps the game relevant see... Pretty much every fighter out right now. Characters, costumes, stages, etc.

The idea behind no character dlc is nice but in an age where fighters get dropped quickly. Spaced out DLC acts as a way to bring people back in periodically and keep the game fresh for awhile.

I think the main issue with dlc is that people think you need the get it right away. I suggest that everyone that's not getting the deluxe edition just get the vanilla game and wait until the first characters come out (usually one to two months in) to purchase it. By then you should have more $ anyways so dropping that $10 or $25 later won't feel so bad.

Can't recommend the deluxe edition tbh, there's no discount.

It's $25 more than the base game and all it adds is the $25 season pass. Or that's what it looks like right now. So better to get the base game, see if the DLC is worth it later.

---
Personally, i'd really like to see long time support for T7. Happy to pay for it too of course. But i think this was the wrong time to announce a season pass, and i'm not sure i'm all that happy with DLC characters being added at or quickly after launch.

If anything i'd like to see them start adding a character every two months starting in november, december or so. So they wouldn't have to announce it right now, next to the delay. Also keeps it from feeling like content that was cut from the game. Even if it's not, people are going to come to that conclusion anyway.

Pachimari

I'm still looking for the Collector's Edition. Can't find it anywhere. Might just hold out hope my local GameStop gets it.

Also seeing that the Season Pass comes with a whole bunch of costumes, I'm holding out hope we'll see more classic costumes.

I Just ordered the collectors edition from game UK for £129.99, it includes the deluxe edition. EU friends this might be an option since the pound is so bad (I didn't work out the rate though).

Pachimari

Different tastes and all, but I think that JP cover is ugly as sin. Just horrible, horrible composition.

The thing I don't like about the one we get, is how Heihachi's and Kazuya's faces aren't aligned. The whole idea of split-face is cool, but not how the two images are lined up to each other.

Sayah

LMAO

Deluxe Edition costs 95€. Yeahhh... no. I'll wait.
Good thing Sayah is back. I was waiting for your reaction. Can't say I disagree.

Sorry if my sour attitude is discouraging. The game itself looks great and amazing but it puts people like me in a rock and a hard place when buying the game means supporting their inept marketing and release model. This isn't Last Guardian or FFXV that they can put on 10 year hiatus. If they're going to release a competitive fighting game with international tournaments but only make it available to one part of the world for 2.5 years, then it pretty much is a slap in the face of their worldwide fans. I want to play Tekken 7 but success for this game is telling namco they did nothing wrong and they should continue following this model.

Deps

I'll take dlc and season passes over what happened with TTT2. Those getting pissed need to realize that most people WANT dlc. It keeps interest high in the game and gives the company more of an incentive to support the tournament scene. Having dlc whose profits go into the tekken tour would be another cool thing they could/should do.

The one thing I don't like is pre-order characters. The way ASW does it by having each character free for the first few weeks is a much better way of doing it.

LMAO

Sorry if my sour attitude is discouraging. The game itself looks great and amazing but it puts people like me in a rock and a hard place when buying the game means supporting their inept marketing and release model. This isn't Last Guardian or FFXV that they can put on 10 year hiatus. If they're going to release a competitive fighting game with international tournaments but only make it available to one part of the world for 2.5 years, then it pretty much is a slap in the face of their worldwide fans. I want to play Tekken 7 but success for this game is telling namco they did nothing wrong and they should continue following this model.
If you're going to project one way, let me help by projecting the other end of the spectrum.

Namco sees how much Tekken sells in other regions and makes an effort to change their strategy next time. Just think, this is a result of TT2's reception. We should be lucky T7 did well enough in arcades to warrant and support an upgrade to make for a better console release.

Vanilla 7 was a dangerous gamble imo. My reaction, and seems like your reaction, and others like us would have shat on that game if it had a worldwide release or went straight to console. Horrible showing. That would have killed future interest.

Pachimari

Yeah, I'm fucking happy about the season pass, and that they'll apparently will support it longer. The support for Tag 2 was a real wuss and hopefully they've learned from it. Two DLC characters is a nice start.

sasuke_91

No need to apologize.

I'm salty as hell, but honestly, I just want to play the game at this point.
My only problem is how they treated the whole issue over the past two years. Especially in Europe.
It's my first time experiencing the whole waiting game and yeah, it has been horrible :p

If you're going to project one way, let me help by projecting the other end of the spectrum.

Namco sees how much Tekken sells in other regions and makes an effort to change their strategy next time. Just think, this is a result of TT2's reception. We should be lucky T7 did well enough in arcades to warrant and support an upgrade to make for a better console release.

Vanilla 7 was a dangerous gamble imo. My reaction, and seems like your reaction, and others like us would have shat on that game if it had a worldwide release or went straight to console. Horrible showing. That would have killed future interest.

Yeah, if there's no profit from console sales, there won't be a console version in the future. Why would they bother with a console version if they're making enough profit from arcades?
I hate the whole situation, but that's how it is.

Top Bottom