• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

Spuck-uk

Banned
What's most interesting about the DLC backlash is people arguing they shouldn't pay for old characters because they're just "copying and pasting assets." I've never seen any fan of a different fighting game complain about that (when people complained about the SFxT DLC, they whined about it being on disc, not that 5 of the 12 characters were ripped from SF4).

Guess Tekken fans had it good for a long time.

Very much so. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was made entirely because of fan demand, had a gigantic roster, all the DLC characters were free...

...and it fell on its ass, sales-wise despite being really well received by the Tekken community.

Also Harada has already come out and said for T7 they won't be charging for classic characters.

ZeroX03

Banned
DLC for fighting games is a pretty necessary evil at this point. If you want a title to survive long term, you need to support it long term and that takes money. Audiences have more choices in the genre and in general and aren't going to stick to one game for years that isn't named Melee without an incentive and growth in the game.

New and shiny characters and fan service outfits keep people more engaged than the gameplay depth and launch roster that Tag 2 had. That's how it is. Not that T7 isn't a deep, fun game on it's own of course.

Playsage

Did Harada say anything about Eliza also coming at release to arcades? Iirc, there were some complaints about console exclusives character in the TTT2 days...

IKizzLE

I feel like Akuma and eliza gameplay styles is a preview of what to come for future tekken games, especially if this is the end of the Mishima saga. I expect every character to have gameplay systems similar to these characters in t8

I feel like Akuma and eliza gameplay styles is a preview of what to come for future tekken games, especially if this is the end of the Mishima saga. I expect every character to have gameplay systems similar to these characters in t8

I think that is highly unlikely. More like testing for TxSF.

GrayFoxPL

Nice write up dude. Eliza got quite a work done to her in animation and moveset department. I wish 10% of similar work was put into Kazuya who didn't receive a single truly new fresh looking move, just a mesh of old animations.

Eliza kinda fits in the style Tekken drifted into with the latest game. If you already have magical exorcist who shoots fairy dust arrows from invisible bow then sleepy vampire girl won't look out of place too.

Never thought I say something like that about the series, lol.

Is it just me or is Tekken drifting into similar setting and character style as "anime" fighting games?

Is it just me or is Tekken drifting into similar setting and character style as "anime" fighting games?

In a way. Tekken is adding modern anime tropes, so that's going to be the same stuff you see in modern 'anime fighting games'.

But before that it's had old anime tropes from the start. Tekken 1 has Devilman, Tiger Mask, robot ninjas etc. Those guys back then just added whatever the hell they thought was cool, and some of it certainly stems from 70s or 80s anime or tokusatsu stuff, what they grew up with.

But for a western audience, we didn't get to see all of that first in anime or manga, we saw it first in certain games. And everyone internalized it as 'just cool shit'. That's also how folks can say with a straight face that Guilty Gear is LESS ANIME than Blazblue or whatever, when it's just that one is older anime tropes (that folks don't recognize as such, or don't want to) and one is newer.

So Tekken right now is just doing what it's always done, try to look for inspiration in current modern culture and make it appealing. That does include anime. It's a Japanese game after all. We can't be sure where every character comes from unless we get a nice insightful interview, but Claudio smells like a Bleach character to me. Or Blue Exorcist/D.gray-man, whatever who cares really. Definitely anime. Lucky Chloe is obviously from the whole idol culture. Master Raven seems more of a Metal Gear Revengeance + we need a black female character? Katarina's appearance seems more.. modern music video inspired? I dunno. And remember all those folks saying Shaheen looks like an Assassin's Creed character? Well.

Edit: I bet Tekken 8 is going to have a bunch of pretty recognizable superhero tropes with how big the MCU etc. is getting~

Weird, my local shop has the deluxe edition priced at 40 euros(!) over the base one. I was certain it was only the season pass that was included extra with it, now i'm starting to doubt myself.

Pachimari

I updated the roster:

zUcX0Zw.png
DbzqJv9.png
hrqK1LM.png
dhLogQB.png
ieZ5SH5.png
e9hmT3f.png
n2XW4Br.png
I2yQGpl.png
JIPXBb1.png

eRQdaZP.png
9aZkmtS.png
C7hwNu9.png
Y4rFjEH.png
kkKhtTq.png
BIkQH2k.png
UjeUVpX.png
kd2FyXQ.png
zq7CLxn.png

Nhqkmgn.png
hYAOykD.png
HHGkFMe.png
7wlSMB5.png
EYpdEfJ.png
yNy6jWY.png
Y1HehGc.png
eq3d0zM.png
IkaHIpK.png

YbTEdD9.png
9PAV0L6.png
12MNYkN.png
l2HCxFr.png
7GAbvAu.png
jWIDlzi.png
sCIJUkH.png
hHVUqru.png
AZmvCg4.png

• 36 characters
  • Of which 9 are new

I'm still kind of conflicted on the whole Josie/Bruce deal. On one hand I got my Filipina character after years of waiting ever since Tekken 2 launch. But Bruce was my dude man..

Ruehl

Neo Member
I really hope they differentiate Kuma & Panda's movesets enough to justify putting them into their own character slots. 😒

So happy Eliza is in Tekken7! I main her in Tekken Revolution (along with Nina & Lili) and am so glad to see her moveset has been heavily expanded upon.

I would be happy to see Julia back as Julia (instead of Jaycee) and of course for Lei and Anna (please please) to come back as well.

Can't wait until June 2nd! We've already waited this long... what is a few more months?

Rajang

I updated the roster:

zUcX0Zw.png
DbzqJv9.png
hrqK1LM.png
dhLogQB.png
ieZ5SH5.png
e9hmT3f.png
n2XW4Br.png
I2yQGpl.png
JIPXBb1.png

eRQdaZP.png
9aZkmtS.png
C7hwNu9.png
Y4rFjEH.png
kkKhtTq.png
BIkQH2k.png
UjeUVpX.png
kd2FyXQ.png
zq7CLxn.png

Nhqkmgn.png
hYAOykD.png
HHGkFMe.png
7wlSMB5.png
EYpdEfJ.png
yNy6jWY.png
Y1HehGc.png
eq3d0zM.png
IkaHIpK.png

YbTEdD9.png
9PAV0L6.png
12MNYkN.png
l2HCxFr.png
7GAbvAu.png
jWIDlzi.png
sCIJUkH.png
hHVUqru.png
AZmvCg4.png

• 36 characters
  • Of which 9 are new

2 more characters left I think for the base game. That's in line with what Harada said to Aris at one point, 36 to 38 characters if I remember correctly.

Hopefully it's Julia and Lei.

Harada pls

Nuszka

I'm still kind of conflicted on the whole Josie/Bruce deal. On one hand I got my Filipina character after years of waiting ever since Tekken 2 launch. But Bruce was my dude man..

Man i feel exactly the same, loved playing Bruce since T2. It took me a while to accept Josie (year and a half :) ) so if we get Bruce as a skin i will be happy, but i know i will still play Josie, now i dare to say i actually like her.

As someone who mains Drag and has Jack-7 as a secondary, how much would I enjoy playing Shaheen?

Don't know who I'll third but I wanna give the new characters a chance.

Rajang

I want JayCee. She was one of the most fun characters in Tag 2, and I could never get into Julia Chang's style.

We need somebody to translate this Spanish interview.

I definitely prefer Julia's design. Jaycee is fine as well as long as I can make her look like a classic Chang design through customization or hopefully with alternate costumes.

GrayFoxPL

I want JayCee. She was one of the most fun characters in Tag 2, and I could never get into Julia Chang's style.

Do we have a Spaniard Gaffer? We need a Spaniard Gaffer.

JayCee and Julia deserve the separate slots more then Kuma and Panda, but fuck they seem to know better, right? Tekken 7 is full of unquestionably brilliant ideas.

Gonna troll with Kumachan in T7.

I am not a fan of the changes made to Duomo di Sirio between the Miguel trailer and this Eliza one. Shit looks dull now. Hopefully there are different TODs to choose from in the options menu for the final release.

I got Asuka and Miguel so I'm satisfied. As more of a Street Fighter player, I'm way excited to try Akuma, but keen to try Josie. Way too cute of a design, man.

AllenShrz

They are saying that the beginning of the design for a new character starts with the country from which they come from. They give Catarina as an example and how they try to mimic the look of peacock with her (What?!).

Then they say Kazumi was hard, since by Harada's orders she was supposed to use a tiger and they explain how difficult was to make her kimono with UR4... yada yada yada. Nothing important.

About Akuma, that Capcom gave the green light to use him but did not provide any design documents, so Namco did it all by themselves and they show their work to Capcom and they were impressed. Capcom requested that all his moves use the appropriate name and that he is allowed to use different hair colors but is not allowed to change his hair style.

Also that Namco believes that is a good time to be a tekken fan and the waiting time is not that long, stop being a whiny bitch, please understand.

CSX

AFter watching this game for two years, i just realized that low parry to Rage Art is feasible and can scare your opponent from using lows to deliver the killing blow.

cordy

Banned
Looks like the PS4 install for the Deluxe is 42GB. Given Murray said they haven't officially started on the DLC yet, that looks like a ton of content.

2mKYmGR.jpg

Damn.

sasuke_91

Looks like the PS4 install for the Deluxe is 42GB. Given Murray said they haven't officially started on the DLC yet, that looks like a ton of content.

2mKYmGR.jpg

Damn.

Welp. 42GB that have to be constantly free on my 500GB PS4. And that's the disc version right? How big is the digital version?

Rajang

The size of the game doesn't tell everything though. High quality pre-rendered cutscenes take up a lot of GB's. And there will be quite a lot of those for the story mode.

cordy

Banned
In comparison, MKXL's install size with the Cosplay Pack, Blue Steel Sub-Zero, Krimson Ermac and the 1.12 Update was around 43.93. If this is Namco's without the DLC included since it doesn't come with it on the game? Maaaaannnnnnnnn!!!!

This is also the Deluxe Edition but like I said the DLC doesn't come with it.

CGI and stuff does take up space, it's just a matter of how much space.

Game install size doesn't necessarily mean more content. There are some bloated games out there size wise (and it sucks). Just saying. There will probably be a lot hopefully. I bet it's all cut-scenes.

All I'm saying is, with the lack of any sort of promoting of the console version, the writing was on the wall.

However the bigger issue is how they're treating their characters as DLC. As it was brought up on the Gaming thread, why are we having to pay extra for Tekken characters that have always been part of the roster?

No surprise there unfortunately. That is the generation we live in. Purposely hold back a few characters or content and charge you for DLC where in the past, they would of been included in the game for free. I sadly remember preordering TTT2 and getting all of the DLC and costumes for FREE, so yeah it's disappointing yet expected. DLC could be a wonderful thing, if it was handled more properly liked for example, instead of locking content behind DLC on day 0, create content about 4 to 6 months from now. Essentially the same tactic, but imo it looks less, conspicuous.

Also, let me get this straight. If I want all of the characters including the 2 new ones, extra costumes and goodies, that is in the $84.99 collectors edition, right? I doubt anyone knows this, but I wonder if the New Japan Pro Wrestling costumes will be included.

ZeroX03

Banned
No surprise there unfortunately. That is the generation we live in. Purposely hold back a few characters or content and charge you for DLC where in the past, they would of been included in the game for free. I sadly remember preordering TTT2 and getting all of the DLC and costumes for FREE, so yeah it's disappointing yet expected. DLC could be a wonderful thing, if it was handled more properly liked for example, instead of locking content behind DLC on day 0, create content about 4 to 6 months from now. Essentially the same tactic, but imo it looks less, conspicuous.

That's what they're doing. Characters aren't being held back, development on the DLC hasn't even started.

Rajang

Also, let me get this straight. If I want all of the characters including the 2 new ones, extra costumes and goodies, that is in the $84.99 collectors edition, right? I doubt anyone knows this, but I wonder if the New Japan Pro Wrestling costumes will be included.

What you're quoting is not actually happening. I thought that was the case as well but Harada made it clear that they wont be charging for classic characters or the initial roster of T7 on console (except for Eliza). Development for the DLC has not started yet. Michael Murray said that they had to do a separate budget for the DLC. According to Harada the season pass guarantees one year of additional development for T7, which also means free updates and a much longer support for the game.

I can see where you're coming from and I've had this stance with past games.

But I'm sure as shit glad it stayed in arcades if it meant getting FR and not vanilla.

I've shown impatience in the past, but I've since checked myself out of here and only peeked in here and there to see what was up. I never paid for the beta/arcade, hardly gave clicks to their streams and couldn't care less about their contests/tournaments. That's on you guys for sucking that teet, tbh.

Honestly, I think it was delayed on purpose also, but I guess that is how business works. What most likely upset the fans is the fact that it has been available in Japan for so long, yet literally no one around the world had any type of access to it and had to rely on grainy Youtube videos or very old Tekken games for their Tekken fix. Even a brief demo or beta like SF5, Guilty Gear, and KOF14 might of even satiated eager fans. Anyway, I am glad we finally got a release date at least.

That's what they're doing. Characters aren't being held back, development on the DLC hasn't even started.

What you're quoting is not actually happening. I thought that was the case as well but Harada made it clear that they wont be charging for classic characters or the initial roster of T7 on console (except for Eliza). Development for the DLC has not started yet. Michael Murray said that they had to do a separate budget for the DLC. According to Harada the season pass guarantees one year of additional development for T7, which also means free updates and a much longer support for the game.

Thank you guys for correcting me. I didn't even read that.

sasuke_91

We outchea drawing extreme conclusions just from the size of the game? Damn, chill out brehs.

Hmm...

At least 20 gigs dedicated to Eliza's boob graphics.

20g's for some double D's.

10g a piece?

Respectable.

Sorry, Dereck. I don't see how there could be any other explanation for the file size.

To be fair, my quote was before we found out about the DLC business. It's just and I agree with it.

The whole DLC topic was communicated pretty poorly at the beginning. Can't complain about it in any way though.

Top Bottom