• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

cordy

Banned
Yeah that file size is an example of content. Sure it could be CGI and all but we know how Namco is. T7's by far their biggest sized game, I think the next largest from them was in the early 20s or something. They're used to compression.

But either way, I found an interview from Harada from a few months ago talking about Story Mode and other modes that idk if anyone's posted. It's interesting.
In typical story modes in other fighting games, you merely load the game, each character says one or two lines to each other before the battle, then you go into the standard battle with the timer from the same position all the time. All the same rules apply from them fighting. We tried to change that, so the circumstances at the beginning of the fight might change: the relation of you to your opponent distance-wise, maybe your health or the status of the stage. All these things were done to make the game feel very immersive. Whatever is going on in the cinematics shifts straight into the in-game scene, and then straight into the gameplay itself. You're not thrown into the standard battle. That's really what we focus on changing this time for story mode.

So it's no normal Story Mode. A lot of variables could come into play. Hypothetically, say there's some QTE where Kazuya turns into Devil Kazuya and blasts Akuma with his beams but you miss the QTE and you get knocked back or something damaging the stage. That would be dope.

Also something else

Are there going to be any changes to the home version? What's going to drive people who've played a lot of the arcade version to pick up the home version?

Obviously we don't want to change the formula people expect. That said, with all the Tekken games, we always add extra content. One of the big features is the story mode, in addition to the arcade mode. Other modes, for example, consistent of some type of gallery that allow you to catch up on story elements of the past installments.

With that said, I recall seeing some menus of the PS4 version a few times and on each menu there were like 2-3 ???s on there for some modes. One could be VR but the others? Who knows.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Game install size doesn't necessarily mean more content. There are some bloated games out there size wise (and it sucks). Just saying. There will probably be a lot hopefully. I bet it's all cut-scenes.

This. Streetfighter pracically downloads itself over again every time there's a patch, that doesn't mean there's any useful content.

Most lot of that will be music and textures.

ZeroX03

Banned
This. Streetfighter pracically downloads itself over again every time there's a patch, that doesn't mean there's any useful content.

Most lot of that will be music and textures.

That's how Unreal Engine 4 operates, expect the same thing to happen with Tekken 7. Although I daresay that the cutscenes will be separate to the main game file.

cordy

Banned
Yeah the NA one doesn't.

But it's different currencies as well. It's $150 in the US for the Collector's but £150 British Pounds over there. That's around $188 in US dollars. Meaning that if we bought the Collector's Edition and the Season Pass we'd still be saving $13 in the US compared to if they bought the Collector's even if it came with a Season Pass.

So it makes sense why we wouldn't have the Season Pass in the US.

I thought about it the other day and it should have been obvious. I get it now. Overall we're getting it cheaper.

GrayFoxPL

Mishima's story mode is one thing. I'm worried what we'll get, if anything for all the other characters. We'll we get short prologue and ending for every character in arcade mode or nothing.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I just hope it isn't as short or bad as some of the Tekken 6 story mode. No narration, an odd, sometimes extremely low number of fights (if I recall, Law never even fights Azazel), and a silly ending often unrelated to the prologue.

Unfortunately, that latest trailer seemed to only show a small section of the cast. I'm guessing those not directly involved in the conflict are going to get shafted and not appear in the big story mode at all.

Rajang

Mishima's story mode is one thing. I'm worried what we'll get, if anything for all the other characters. We'll we get short prologue and ending for every character in arcade mode or nothing.

I really hope they still do them, it's a big part of Tekken imo. No matter how silly some of the endings are, I like watching them. It will be weird if they stop doing those prologue's and endings. Especially now where only a handful of characters are going to be featured in the story mode.

cordy

Banned
The Story Mode's actually called "The Mishima Saga" and given that, we'll be dealing with the Mishimas mostly. If your character isn't connected to the Mishimas you're probably assed out.

With that said, they've mentioned bringing up stuff from previous Tekkens so we'll probably see Kazuya and Paul duke it out or something in a previous tourney, who knows.

GrayFoxPL

I really hope they still do them, it's a big part of Tekken imo. No matter how silly some of the endings are, I like watching them. It will be weird if they stop doing those prologue's and endings. Especially now where only a handful of characters are going to be featured in the story mode.

Yeah I can dream they'll do them justice, but there's no hope. You can bet Law&Paul will have "wordthatgetsmebanned" sketch again and story arks with Leo, Steve, Nina etc will be swept under a rug.

Wonder if they ever even mention in the game somewhere characters like Lei, Zafina, Anna, Wang, Baek, etc.

And not as a joke status.

The trailer from Big Story Mode looks to me like Tekken: Blood Vengeance 2, similar style, explosions, devil lasers everywhere, Alisa still looking like important character for fuck reason why. Even Nina looks straight copy pasted from that movie.

Just, Namco, please don't fuck up Kazuya with this exorcist shit. I can smell from a mile away what they are cooking up for him.

/vomits

With that said, they've mentioned bringing up stuff from previous Tekkens so we'll probably see Kazuya and Paul duke it out or something in a previous tourney, who knows.

The forgotten story ark from T1&2(Tag1 kinda too) ?! Man I'd love to see that if they give it a fair treat.

Not gonna happen.

cordy

Banned
The forgotten story ark from T1&2(Tag1 kinda too) ?! Man I'd love to see that if they give it a fair treat.

Not gonna happen.

Probably like us playing Kazuya and beating Paul down for a round or something lol. One thing I've noticed though...

On all of the PS4 builds they've shown there's always 2-3 ??? boxes for where some modes might be that they haven't revealed yet so who knows what those modes will be. Scenario Campaign from T6 was literally revealed 4 months before the console version hit so I wouldn't be surprised we get another similar mode or even a Flashback Mode or something with something thrown in.

One mode's probably some VR/character look thing but the others? Idk.

GrayFoxPL

Probably like us playing Kazuya and beating Paul down for a round or something lol. One thing I've noticed though...

On all of the PS4 builds they've shown there's always 2-3 ??? boxes for where some modes might be that they haven't revealed yet so who knows what those modes will be. Scenario Campaign from T6 was literally revealed 4 months before the console version hit so I wouldn't be surprised we get another similar mode or even a Flashback Mode or something with something thrown in.

One mode's probably some VR/character look thing but the others? Idk.

I wont hype myself up, but I like your ideas. Flashback mode with young versions would be too good and that's what it is. Too ambitious, too much work would had to be done. They promoting the Story mode as the big thing and it's the only big thing there's gonna be I'd recon.

I'm setting up myself for something really small regarding unknown modes to not be disappointed too much. Besides isn't one of those "???" the dlc mode?

And from little things I'd like character model viewer and a gallery mode with hand drawn artworks.

They don't have an artbook for deluxe editions, right? Or did I miss it?

At least they could give me some free artwork in game for all the fuckup they've done, heh.

Nah bruh.

Heihachi's dying regardless. He's gonna die and then in T8 he'll be a hidden boss. Possessed Heihachi who's immortal.

Demon Hei.

Just like he always wanted.

I bet you play the story mode, and it all leads up to the actual Tekken 7 tournament, which then you play in single player/arcade mode... or the other way around.

The story seems to BE the tournament though.

The Story Mode's actually called "The Mishima Saga" and given that, we'll be dealing with the Mishimas mostly. If your character isn't connected to the Mishimas you're probably assed out.

They could literally quite a bit of saga in this.

Tekken 1 - Kaz VS Paul, Lee, and Hei.
Tekken 2 - Paul VS Kuma (I think?), Kaz VS Hei, and Nina VS Anna

And so on.

cordy

Banned
I wont hype myself up, but I like your ideas. Flashback mode with young versions would be too good and that's what it is. Too ambitious, too much work would had to be done. They promoting the Story mode as the big thing and it's the only big thing there's gonna be I'd recon.

I'm setting up myself for something really small regarding unknown modes to not be disappointed too much. Besides isn't one of those "???" the dlc mode?

And from little things I'd like character model viewer and a gallery mode with hand drawn artworks.

They don't have an artbook for deluxe editions, right? Or did I miss it?

At least they could give me some free artwork in game for all the fuckup they've done, heh.

Yeah Harada did say this a few months ago about one of the modes.
"Other modes, for example, consistent of some type of gallery that allow you to catch up on story elements of the past installments."

I guess that's what Gallery Mode is. Just info about previous titles. They've also mentioned a lot of the past history of Tekken with Story Mode so wow, I'm not going to hype myself up but I'd love it if they show us what happened with previous tourneys like say have classic Kaz and Paul skins or something. I'd even buy DLC for that.

I think one could be some sort of full store where you can buy things like outfit pieces, content and stuff like that but idk.

And I don't think the deluxe comes with an art book sadly. I loved the one that came in the T6 CE.
Demon Hei.

Just like he always wanted.

I think it'll happen. With his VA dying years ago, you can kill Hei but bring him back as an immortal demon or something. After that, find a way for him to get his original body back. It's silly but hey it's something that we've seen a lot in fiction. Character dies and is somehow still around in another form and then gets their body back.

Makes sense with the "Kazuya or Heihachi will die" thing they mentioned not that long ago. I don't see Hei living.
They could literally quite a bit of saga in this.

Tekken 1 - Kaz VS Paul, Lee, and Hei.
Tekken 2 - Paul VS Kuma (I think?), Kaz VS Hei, and Nina VS Anna

And so on.

That would be perfect. Similarly to MK9 when they did their thing but better.

cordy

Banned
Everyone...

I think the 2 extra DLC characters will be from SF.

Hear me out.

https://twitter.com/mykeryu/status/824900319574269952

VTHOhgg.png

So the DLC characters won't be classic characters. This follows up from Harada's previous comment about us never having to pay for classic characters in T7 which means, according to the Tekken twitter, they still have things to announce before the game releases. I think that means Julie, Lei, Anna and probably 1 more will either be announced before the game or be free DLC. But these characters are "special characters" and they don't fit that. They're not special.

In an interview from Harada months ago he said this...

Tekken 7 in the arcades has a crafting system where you can create items to customize your character. Will this crafting system be in the console version and will there be microtransactions similar to the arcade game? There are some lighthearted costumes players can make with this system too.

MM: Which are often liked and often hated. [Laughs].

KH: Even in the arcades there is Tekken.Net, which is a separate service where you can pay for additional more features. The way this feature works in Japan where players can pay to have a higher chance to get rare items is different from Korea. The company that runs that is a different one and the way they have their monetization whether it’s playing the game more often to get something or paying to get it quicker is different from the Japanese version.

We can’t say anything concrete for consoles, but we could say we aren’t going to make you pay for something in the game. If it’s something not in the game like a Karin costume from Street Fighter V which wasn’t originally intended and everyone wants us to make it. If we end up making it later we would have to pay Capcom royalties and in that instance it would be DLC or something. Monetization just to unlock something in the game isn’t something we’re thinking about.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/0...res-character-styles-not-charging-game-items/

Few things

- Said they're not putting microtransactions in the console T7. They'll only charge you for things not in the game
- Mentioned SF, paying Capcom and then mentioned DLC to pay for something

So basically let's run this down...

- Can't be classic characters
- Can't be anything already in the game
- Murray said fans will be hyped about it
- Harada brought up SF in regards to using something from another series and referenced why it would be paid DLC

It's also a smart business move. 2 SF characters as DLC is going to get more purchases from anything else they can pic unless it's MK which it won't be. They're already got Akuma so 2 more wouldn't be farfetched. Besides that, Akuma's a test for TxSF. Eliza's fighting style is similar to Akuma's and honestly, throwing 2 SF characters in would be further testing.

So yeah, it's probably 2 SF characters.

And honestly they need to be Sakura and Sagat since they're wanted the most in SFV right now.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm... If it's more SF characters, it's probably Ryu and Chun-Li. Or Chun-Li and Cammy or something like that.

They may also include a SoulCalibur character if we're talking about 'special characters'.

Rajang

Everyone...

I think the 2 extra DLC characters will be from SF.

Hear me out.

https://twitter.com/mykeryu/status/824900319574269952

VTHOhgg.png

So the DLC characters won't be classic characters. This follows up from Harada's previous comment about us never having to pay for classic characters in T7 which means, according to the Tekken twitter, they still have things to announce before the game releases. I think that means Julie, Lei, Anna and probably 1 more will either be announced before the game or be free DLC. But these characters are "special characters" and they don't fit that. They're not special.

In an interview from Harada months ago he said this...

Few things

- Said they're not putting microtransactions in the console T7. They'll only charge you for things not in the game
- Mentioned SF, paying Capcom and then mentioned DLC to pay for something

So basically let's run this down...

- Can't be classic characters
- Can't be anything already in the game
- Murray said fans will be hyped about it
- Harada brought up SF in regards to using something from another series and referenced why it would be paid DLC

It's also a smart business move. 2 SF characters as DLC is going to get more purchases from anything else they can pic unless it's MK which it won't be. They're already got Akuma so 2 more wouldn't be farfetched. Besides that, Akuma's a test for TxSF. Eliza's fighting style is similar to Akuma's and honestly, throwing 2 SF characters in would be further testing.

So yeah, it's probably 2 SF characters.

And honestly they need to be Sakura and Sagat since they're wanted the most in SFV right now.

I rather they save the SF characters for TxSF. If they do SF characters as DLC it means that T7 will just be TxSF lite.

I'm still hoping that one of the 'special characters' is Geese Howard. He is such a bad ass and I think he would fit so well in Tekken. Also Harada once mentioned that he would like Geese in a Tekken game as well. DO IT HARADA. PLS.

cordy

Banned
Yeah but it would be a smart business move and continue the testing for TxSF, Bamco would certainly approve. Idk about anyone else but I don't think TxSF will be a completely separate game. I think it'll be some sort of "super expansion pack" to T7 or something similar. Like, they'll sell it separately but it'll be so similar to T7 people will be upset I'm sure. I'm sure we're not getting 2 completely brand new characters though. This game's already given us the most brand new characters in any Tekken game. No need to bring in new ones no one knows if they're selling as DLC.

Geese would be great in the game. Man, there's so many different options they can choose.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gon's a playable character again. Somebody told Murray they'd pay for Gon on Twitter and he said "Really?" in response to it. If that's a "special character" then I might pass on him.

Murry said we would be pretty hyped over the special characters, we are not exactly going to get super hyped over characters we have never seen or heard of before. So the special characters must be something we would be attached to, otherwise no hype, right?

I'm still rooting for Heihachi in the story mode. Dude always gets the villain label but throughout the games he did less fucked up shit than Kazuya and Jin. He's just an asshole to his family, Kazuya (especially in Tekken 2) and Jin (Tekken 6, bruh u couldn't just hire a sniper to shoot Kaz & Hei instead of starting a world war) are borderline terrorists

My guess for 'special characters' would be more like Josie or Master Raven. Or like Eliza/Unknown/Kunimitsu.

So related characters with returning movesets or characters from non-canon games or stuff like that.

joeblow

Random thoughts on "special characters":

- At first I thought we'd maybe see a playable version of the Devil Kazumi boss, but that now goes against the promise not to charge for what's already in the game.

- I lean against the Street Fighter theory because they would save that for TxSF. Akuma and the mechanics of Eliza are likely the most we'll get from that universe, but they may include a charge character to see how that plays out.

- With that said, one way the Tekken team could REALLY spike up the interest for T7 from fighting gamers who aren't already fans is to add one or two Street Fighter EX characters. Skullomania alone might exceed the Akuma announcement hype. Doctrine Dark would fit into the "look" of the game and he has a charge move Namco could play test for TxSF (though perhaps he has too many gadget mechanics for Tekken).

- I wonder if someone like Miharu could be considered a "special character" for inclusion. If they gave her a more unique moveset (she's a Ling clone) it could work, but some would complain she is a "classic character" since she was playable in T4 and Tag 2. Paying for Kunimitsu would be a bit controversial for the same reason.

- Another source for known "special characters" would be a Soul Calibur cross over. Maybe snag a fighter left out of the last SC release, like Zasalamel or Talim or Amy. Zasa's signature weapon is too big for Tekken, but I'd welcome someone like Talim if only because she's Filipina and can tell Josie in Tagalog to stop crying all the time.

- In the end, my guess is they'll go for some pop culture cross over characters like they did with Yoda, Darth Vader and Spawn in Soul Calibur 3/4.

Creaking

I wonder if they'll resurrect more characters from that Tekken Revolution poll.

If I buy the season pass and end up getting Shin Kamiya, I'm going to end myself.

cordy

Banned
I still think it'll be 2 SF characters because there's more pros in that than anything else they can get. Hypothetically, say it's Sakura and Sagat.

- 2 hyped SF characters that aren't in SFV which could draw further attention
- Brings more SF/FGC people into the T7 scene as the Akuma reveal did
- More tests for TxSF based on gameplay and styles while also allowing them and Akuma easier access to be in TxSF
- Bamco x Capcom's relationship is already very strong and they've already made deals with them
- 2 SF characters being in the game would be more hype than anyone else fighting game related that they could do especially given the scene

Shin and the Tekken Force girl couldn't do that. Overall it's a pretty smart, easy business decision. If it's not 2 other SF characters I wonder who it would be. Geese Howard would be good but he wouldn't generate the sales as 2 SF characters would.

Something else I read.
GR: On the subject of Tekken mini-games, which one is your personal favorite? Tekken Bowl, Tekken Force, Scenario Campaign, Tekken Ball?

Harada: As a game, I would say Scenario Campaign. I do have fond memories during development from Tekken Ball and Tekkn Bowl, though.

GR: Are there any concepts you had for Tekken mini-games you never had the chance or the time to create?

Harada: There were a few:

- A mode in which player communities from different arcades compete against each other.
- Tekken Cart Race
- Tekken Soccer/Football
- Tekken Baseball
- Tekken Dodgeball
- Tekken Tennis
Read more at http://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...rt-and-tekken-cart-race--#o543F7tK7x4C80DZ.99

Scenario Campaign was revealed 4 months before the console release, we've got a little more than 4 months before the console release.

I don't know if one of the ??? modes is some Scenario/Force/Devil Within mode but if it's not I think one of those $10 DLC packs will be.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if they're testing things out 2D mechanics in a 3D fighter, a JoJo character like Will Zeppeli might help.

-Jump-ins can cross up in back-wall situation.
-Fireballs with weird properties.
-Can control his momentum mid-air.
-Can use crumple to 100% control character positioning.

LOL nevermind.

I hope they make more classic costumes available. I miss Lee's T2 tanktop outfit. I managed to make Lee's and Xiaoyu's T4 costumes in TTT2 so as long as decals come back I can do that again for you guys.

I've always been interested in Tekken, but I never fell like I know enough to share. I'm sure others fell the same.

Creaking

I've always been interested in Tekken, but I never fell like I know enough to share. I'm sure others fell the same.

Oh that's okay. I'm here a lot and I don't know much in terms of move data or character tiers. I don't even follow tournaments or anything like that.

Well, seeing as the thread is so busy, it would be rude not to join.

The wait for the latest Tekken has been excruciating. To think the last mainline entry hit consoles in 2009 and TTT2 was 2012?!

Nuszka

Yeah, I hope the new guys will want to stay around. We are gonna have such a great time together when Tekken 7 releases.

I alredy have booked 5 days of work :) Will have a champagne and wife will bake a cake to celebrate :)
I plan on getting the digital edition and breaking my current length of gaming which was set by T5 back in the days and sits at 18 hours. Will see how well i do. Hope to be in a party chat of some sorts as well. That might be fun.

sasuke_91

Where did all these people suddenly come from? I like the change in this OT's popularity. Numb needs to come back soon as well.

I would like the 2 characters to be 1 SF character (Sagat for example). The other character would be the Taekyon girl we were told about long ago.

Top Bottom