• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

cordy

Banned
RIP Masaya Nakamura. A true legend. He lived a very long life.

Anyone read that TekkenGamer interview a while back with Murray? If I recall, he made a comment about Story Mode showing other sub-sagas or at least something about non-Mishima rivalries. I'm not sure since that site's been down for a bit.

Dereck

Get the Miguel boot brehs

pxVgt9U.gif

Xevren

Kind of an odd question but it's something I'm kinda worried about for Tekken 7. Has anything been said if we'll be able to make clips/screenshots on ps4 for it? Only reason I ask is the only namco bandai games I've played on ps4 are the Tales game and both are completely disabled and really hoping this won't be the case for Tekken 7, would make me sad.

sasuke_91

I wasn't planning on buying it even used but I'm slowly changing my mind. With everything going on in the world right now especially after this first week of the Trump presidency, the Tekken 7 bullshit over the past 2.5 years seems really trivial in comparison.

I agree. Tekken will also be some nice distraction from all this bullshit.

I watched that Trump speech and well... I thought he'd shout "Heil Hitler!" any moment.

IGN put up their video tour of the development offices from the Tekken project:

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2017/1/29/ign-video-inside-the-development-of-tekken-7.html
Video: http://sea.ign.com/tekken-7-arcade/112169/video/inside-the-development-of-tekken-7

Not much new, but there is some Kuma vs Akuma action and some early stuff from Eliza.

That was nice. I like that. Wish there was more stuff like that.

91 is a nice age. RIP.

Kind of an odd question but it's something I'm kinda worried about for Tekken 7. Has anything been said if we'll be able to make clips/screenshots on ps4 for it? Only reason I ask is the only namco bandai games I've played on ps4 are the Tales game and both are completely disabled and really hoping this won't be the case for Tekken 7, would make me sad.

Yo, that would be horrible. We should be able to upload matches to YouTube directly and stream on Twitch. Anything else would be bullshit and not how a fighting game should work.

Anyone got any Tekken videos I can use to get people into Tekken? Like proper hype combo videos or matches?

For combos there's a bunch from TMM, dietydevil, tmd02. I really like this video by dietydevil - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLn4Fk81uqg
But I'm not sure whether the someone unfamiliar with Tekken would appreciate the execution required to do that, and so might not like it lol. Can't really think of any moments off the top of my head that are similar to Daigo's evo parry moment in terms of hype.

But I'm not sure whether the someone unfamiliar with Tekken would appreciate the execution required to do that, and so might not like it lol. Can't really think of any moments off the top of my head that are similar to Daigo's evo parry moment in terms of hype.

People won't appreciate that because long and high damaging combos are a turn off for a lot of people, including casual Tekken players.

I think from a casual perspective stuff against real players always looks more impressive. The idea that someone managed to pull off this sick combo/ clutch win might have a better impression, right?

People won't appreciate that because long and high damaging combos are a turn off for a lot of people, including casual Tekken players.

Yh that's a fair point.

I think from a casual perspective stuff against real players always looks more impressive. The idea that someone managed to pull off this sick combo/ clutch win might have a better impression, right?

Yep, I remember Lionz den 2 kinda well, I think devil vs phantom was a great match to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdkXcXmtcF0
Not sure if anyone seen it, footage of the console version Kaz vs Kaz on the new stage. Think the soundtrack here is godlike.

Absolutely one of the best tracks in the game. They also used it for the e316 trailer. No one at Namco writes better music than Hamamoto IMO, even though he iterates on his previous works a lot.

Speaking of the e3 trailer. The story bits before/during/after the fight in that one were all prerendered, using highly detailed CG models. The latest trailer uses in-game assets for the story bits as far as I can tell. Maybe slightly updated cut-scene models. Hoping this means story mode cut-scenes are not prerendered anymore then. (They could still be)

Is there a site that has a collection of all the costumes released for the cast so far? Really interested in playing dress up once the console version is released.

GrayFoxPL

Anyone got any Tekken videos I can use to get people into Tekken? Like proper hype combo videos or matches?

V. B-unik makes awesome hype videos. Not because of combos but incredibly dynamic editing with music.

Brutality

Demolishon Man

I also love old Digss-86 Tekken 6 videos because he shows not only combos but setups and other fun stuff mashed together nicely with music.

Here's some:

Risky Goodbye

Respect the Switch 2

Nuszka

The latest trailer uses in-game assets for the story bits as far as I can tell. Maybe slightly updated cut-scene models. Hoping this means story mode cut-scenes are not prerendered anymore then. (They could still be)

How i see it is that CG costs more money and time, so if there are a lot of cutscenes they might be going this way and this is what I'm hoping for.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
MM made a short video showing off T4 brokenness. He doesn't realize how awesome he made it look, haha.

The ceilings and mid-stage breakable obstacles are pretty cool. They seem less broken and more hard to predict, and I guess make stages matter more when considering which combos to use, but I suppose some players didn't like that layer of complexity.

Besides just story and aesthetic, I think there's some good stuff in that game that's worth salvaging, so long as they iron out the bugs and exploits of the time. In the day and age of easy patches, those things wouldn't be such a lasting problem.

I love the different elevation and how interesting and organic it makes some of the stages feel, but it definitely seems too wonky to work consistently for Tekken. Maybe if there were really minor slopes that didn't cause enough change to make a mid hit someone's feet or the like.

Well, for a game that basically has all those things, look at DoA5. Uneven ground and different types of terrain, stage hazards, objects in the middle of the stage, ceilings..

It doesn't break the game or anything. No reason it can't work in a game if you'd want it to.

(Personally, can't say i enjoy those things either. At all. )

Creaking

I guess that's true. Couldn't get into DoA5 much myself, but I always pinned that on the general feel of the game.

GrayFoxPL

0yvbY5r.gif

A6cjPqP.gif

LK6UCjb.gif

Legit badass combos.

Kazuya looked the best in this game. Give me those fucking pants already Namco.

The ceilings and mid-stage breakable obstacles are pretty cool. They seem less broken and more hard to predict, and I guess make stages matter more when considering which combos to use, but I suppose some players didn't like that layer of complexity.

Besides just story and aesthetic, I think there's some good stuff in that game that's worth salvaging, so long as they iron out the bugs and exploits of the time. In the day and age of easy patches, those things wouldn't be such a lasting problem.

I love the different elevation and how interesting and organic it makes some of the stages feel, but it definitely seems too wonky to work consistently for Tekken. Maybe if there were really minor slopes that didn't cause enough change to make a mid hit someone's feet or the like.

Ceiling hits were so funny! Things like telephone booths were crazy fun to smash opponent into, get a wall stun and fuck him up again. Tekken forgot all the fun stuff. Unless shit like showers or obnoxious taiko drums are considered fun.

We've been over it 1000 times but yeah, T4 deserved "Dark Resurrection" version before being thrown into the trashcan and burned by Harada.
Tekken would went more realistic(or at least "more varied") path forth if it had been a success, instead now painfully trying to imitate SF because of "someone's" whim and obsession for the series.

I guess that's true. Couldn't get into DoA5 much myself, but I always pinned that on the general feel of the game.

Same for me. I liked the graphics a lot, extremely impressive for a PS3 game (Character designs, not always so impressive ¯\( °ω°)/¯ ). Team Ninja must have some tech wizards working there.

But the gameplay didn't really do it for me. It just felt pretty boring pretty fast.

Played a lot of it though, one of my friends was the hugest fan of that game for a while.

sasuke_91

V. B-unik makes awesome hype videos. Not because of combos but incredibly dynamic editing with music.

Demolishon Man

This one is reaally well edited. Love it.
And it manages to make Paul look like a serious character. Someone needs to show this video to Harada.

MM made a short video showing off T4 brokenness. He doesn't realize how awesome he made it look, haha.

The game looks awesomely broken. People act like this is abad thing :p

sasuke_91

Waste of time telling Harada, he thinks his dumb gaijin gimmick has never gotten old .

Even Lucky Chloe could be considered a dumb gaijin, right?

I just found this rap song again where he talks about Street Fighter and Tekken (and some Naruto/One Piece/DBZ). I'm not into rap that much, but I find this one really entertaining. It's in german though :p

IGN put up their video tour of the development offices from the Tekken project:

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2017/1/29/ign-video-inside-the-development-of-tekken-7.html
Video: http://sea.ign.com/tekken-7-arcade/112169/video/inside-the-development-of-tekken-7

Not much new, but there is some Kuma vs Akuma action and some early stuff from Eliza.

Dogshit video player. Couldn't rewind when I'd miss something or wanted to check stuff out in the background when I'd focus on the subtitles etc and then the UI stuff would hover too long blocking the subtitles. Aggravating. I'll rewatch and finish it eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdkXcXmtcF0
Not sure if anyone seen it, footage of the console version Kaz vs Kaz on the new stage. Think the soundtrack here is godlike. Imo though ;)
edit : i actually love the stage, I'm a fan of areas which are cut of civilization or desolate abandoned stages, don't like crowds or cheering pedestrians. This one and Mishima Dojo are my favorites in T7 now.
I agree with you about the civilization stuff but from what I heard of the track, it sounded like TTT2.5. I wouldn't mind a different approach to the music, maybe something more atmospheric like T2 and 4 for such a stage.

This got me good as a hardcore casual:
https://youtu.be/X_JBbppqH9o

T4 Jin Laser Scrapper could defeat Gods tbh

its funny tho cuz I feel Tekken 4 was the last one that the general gaming population has nostalgia for. It came on the heels of the super popular Tekken 1 and TTT, looked amazing at the time. Nobody cared that it was broken, it was just new Tekken.

also its funny how style changes. T4 Jin hoodie is an iconic fan favorite, but its big bagginess screams mid-2000s. Where T7 Jin with the tailored fit seems more modern. I chuckled a bit seeing T7 jin back with that old hoodie after getting so used to his new look.

Creaking

Still can't get down with Jin's Tekken 7 hoodie. Just looks wrong. The boots and arms look like they're part of some kind of bizarre anime body armor and the zipped down jacket is silly. Or rather, I think the combo of hood up + zipped down (but not all the way) jacket + tight belt (almost looks like his hoodie is tucked in) is silly.

Still can't get down with Jin's Tekken 7 hoodie. Just looks wrong. The boots and arms look like they're part of some kind of bizarre anime body armor and the zipped down jacket is silly. Or rather, I think the combo of hood up + zipped down (but not all the way) jacket + tight belt (almost looks like his hoodie is tucked in) is silly.
Agreed. T4's looks more like something a real life MMA fighter would wear as a customized getup while training for a fight (as seen in his T4 prologue)

GrayFoxPL

I need that white costume from Tekken 4 for Jin. And his special white fur costume too!

HSeM7RU.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JlAnXPy.jpg

T7 Jin outfit looks like something Eddie Murphy would laugh his ass off even back in the 80's!

kFYiSUB.gif

XD

cordy

Banned
HSeM7RU.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JlAnXPy.jpg

T7 Jin outfit looks like something Eddie Murphy would laugh his ass off even back in the 80's!

kFYiSUB.gif

XD
LMAO

Mantrox

I think Jin looks fit with the new hoodie. One of the better new costumes.

But then I'd absolutely wear what they are wearing, so maybe my opinion doesn't count :)

I assume Eddie is laughing at himself as well because he wore suits like that on his 2 most famous comedy specials in the 80's.

Spuck-uk

Banned
It's a shame that costuming really hasn't been the series' strongest suit in recent years....

Leos costumes have been absolutely on point, same with Miguel. Lee and Violet look fantastic in 7. Newcomers Claudio and Shaheen look great. Kings NJPW costume is AMAZING.

However Jins costume is awful. Hwaorang looks pretty bad as well, but then he's always looked bad.

It's a shame that costuming really hasn't been the series' strongest suit in recent years....

Dunno about that. Some of the newcomers look great, like Kazumi or Shaheen. And i think some of the new outfits for FR look incredible, huge upgrades to what it was before. Alisa, Lili, Feng, Heihachi come to mind.

Pachimari

I love Hwoarang's new costume although I will remove his eyepiece. I think Heihachi's costume is ruined by that thing on his shoulder. Jin's is ruined by all the spikes. Honestly the edgy stuff making many of the costumes less great.

I love Alisa, Leo, Devil Jin, Hwoarang, King, Miguel, Lee Shaheen, Kazumi, Katarina, Claudio and especially Lucky Chloe's costume.

Creaking

I feel like I'm in the minority in thinking only a couple of the new costumes look all that great. Many of them remind me of the guest designed special costumes from Tekken 5, 6, and Tag 2. The ones that looked pretty out-there compared to their main sets. Now they are the main sets.

That said, I'm surprised no one mentioned Steve. His new costume is pretty tight.

Top Bottom