• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
How about side stories?

Quality spoiler:
Largely really really really bad. You get a freeze-frame of the character's intro, some loose introduction text, then you play one regular fight against a predetermined character, and watch an in-game ending movie. Most are very short and "humorous". They seem to be on a quest to make every non-Mishima a goofy joke character. Paul (poor poor Paul) and Law were just the beginning. The few that are supposed to be dramatic have the depth of an inflatable kiddie pool. In general these endings are most comparable to Tekken Tag Tournament's endings. They come across as very last minute additions. Some are extraordinarily baffling in quality, like
"Content" spoiler:
Nina's ending. She stands over Steve's defeated body, then some soldiers come in, she throws a knife at one of them, then throws flashbang grenade and runs away. The end. No emotion, nothing.

Quality spoiler:
Largely really really really bad. You get a freeze-frame of the character's intro, some loose introduction text, then you play one regular fight against a predetermined character, and watch an in-game ending movie. Most are very short and "humorous". They seem to be on a quest to make every non-Mishima a goofy joke character. Paul (poor poor Paul) and Law were just the beginning. The few that are supposed to be dramatic have the depth of an inflatable kiddie pool. In general these endings are most comparable to Tekken Tag Tournament's endings. They come across as very last minute additions. Some are extraordinarily baffling in quality, like
"Content" spoiler:
Nina's ending. She stands over Steve's defeated body, then some soldiers come in, she throws a knife at one of them, then throws flashbang grenade and runs away. The end. No emotion, nothing.

Sorry for the DBL post. Maybe we can get Namco to address this with a season 2 story mode that leads into Tekken X Street Fighter. These shit side stories just aren't gonna cut it.

Creaking

Sorry for the DBL post. Maybe we can get Namco to address this with a season 2 story mode that leads into Tekken X Street Fighter. These shit side stories just aren't gonna cut it.

Maybe it was all time constraints, but I get the feeling that no one on the team wants to do anything worthwhile with any of these "side" characters. I wish they'd hire actual writers again and try to incorporate more characters into the central plot where possible, and if not possible, then create a few bigger side plots and give them some screen-time.

After what I've seen of Tekken 7, I don't think I'd mind if Harada and co were to pass the mantle to someone else. A lot of the lacking aspects of Tekken 7, it's generally slow development, and the fact that the team has been involved in so many side projects (Smash 4, Pokken, Summer Lesson, etc.) makes me wonder if they just don't have their hearts in the series anymore.

The way they talk about how much they labored over T7 and how passionate they are when people make claims they know nothing about says otherwise.

Creaking

The way they talk about how much they labored over T7 and how passionate they are when people make claims they know nothing about says otherwise.

Well I'm just not seeing it in the finished product, considering all the time that was taken. Maybe the team was spread too thin between other projects.

cordy

Banned
Tbh given Harada, Murray and even comments from MarkMan about how hard the team is working it's clear that they love the series and aren't half-assing it. They're slaving over this game. What it probably boils down to is an allocated amount of time on certain things and/or not enough developmental money to add towards things such as side-character stories. People might hate that the side-characters probably don't get to do much but that doesn't mean that they dislike the series or they don't care. This game's coming with a large roster, a crazy amount of stages, Story Mode, great balance and what not. Given they had to push the game back because they wanted to have a finished product, it seems to me that in order to make a deadline they either had to leave some stuff out or push it back further.

You can't put a time limit on everything they've done especially considering how hard they've been working. There's nothing that says "well I don't see this so that means they're not working hard enough and they don't get what people want." The moment that delay happened and they said they wanted a finished product, that should have said everything.

I personally just think there just wasn't enough time to add the extra modes to the game, same with things for the side-characters which is why they're not in the game. They've spend more time on balance, gameplay, other characters and Story Mode. That's all I think it is. I don't think it deals with money or their hearts not being in it, just deals with time.

Well I'm just not seeing it in the finished product, considering all the time that was taken. Maybe the team was spread too thin between other projects.

Well you have to consider this. Never compare what developers HAVE to do to what you'd like to see done in a series because there's so little transparency in the process for that to be fair on our end. There's also this:

Tekken 7 was pretty much a glorified beta when the game came out in Arcades in 2015. It wasn't a "complete" Arcade game until FR and its still adding content and will add content. According to Harada and Co. Tekken 7 console wouldn't have existed if it were for the arcade.

As you very well may know, games aren't cheap to make, especially nowadays. Now if Tekken 7 Arcade helped pay for the game we're getting friday, AND we know they had to delay the game just to give the game finishing touches(Story Mode from the looks of things). Then I'm willing to cut them a little slack when it comes to giving the same attention to detail to the individual character stories. Namco isn't WB where they can flush money into facial capture and stuff. And since Namco is known for Cinematics, this time the side character joints is all they could do regardless of quality.

I could go into Namco's arcade mandate, The Tekken Team learning Unreal Engine 4, etc etc. but I think its unfair for us to just say "Oh they're not passionate anymore." Its almost as bad as saying "Oh the developers are lazy."

I think it's unfair to say the developers are straight up lazy or lacking any sort of passion. I do think it's fair to judge the content in general, though. I'm not looking for fancy graphics or whatever, but I am looking for substance.

I guess I'll discuss the overall quality of the character stories:

They just feel...there. Yeah, they probably didn't have a lot of time to do them, but most end so abruptly and oddly that you wonder why the fuck they even did them. I think they would have been better as additions to Arcade Mode, but these one-time fights feel like SFV's little prologues. But those at least had a few extra scenes instead of just one. It just feels like it was thrown in there. A lot of people want more meat in terms of Tekken's story, especially with the way they've presented stuff, so you kinda expect more than this.

I didn't spoil myself on ALL of the main story, but hopefully it delivers in key parts where I didn't watch.

Maybe it was all time constraints, but I get the feeling that no one on the team wants to do anything worthwhile with any of these "side" characters. I wish they'd hire actual writers again and try to incorporate more characters into the central plot where possible, and if not possible, then create a few bigger side plots and give them some screen-time.

I don't think you realize it's a miracle that this game exists at all.

We like to complain about the long development, but fans of other 3D fighters have been waiting longer without so much as an announcement while we're getting a game in a couple days.

The PS2 era is long gone. Development cost go up, sales go down. Maybe if this game does well enough we'll see a Tekken 8 without compromise. I'm just glad we're getting anything at all.

Rajang

After what I've seen of Tekken 7, I don't think I'd mind if Harada and co were to pass the mantle to someone else. A lot of the lacking aspects of Tekken 7, it's generally slow development, and the fact that the team has been involved in so many side projects (Smash 4, Pokken, Summer Lesson, etc.) makes me wonder if they just don't have their hearts in the series anymore.

lol what.

I didnt get what I want -> The devs dont have their hearts in the series anymore

I think it's unfair to say the developers are straight up lazy or lacking any sort of passion. I do think it's fair to judge the content in general, though. I'm not looking for fancy graphics or whatever, but I am looking for substance.

And I think that's fine. I just had issue with saying they lacked passion.

Playsage

I just wished they cared enough about their characters to hire a decent writer for once...

There is no such thing as a "character arc" in this series since 2004

Just fuckin' caricatures

Spuck-uk

Banned

They spent the time and energy making a great, well balanced fighting game, not a 60 hour story mode.

Wouldn't have it any other way. The Injustice 2 route is cool and all, but I won't be playing that game in a year, Tekken I will.

Onemic

They spent the time and energy making a great, well balanced fighting game, not a 60 hour story mode.

Wouldn't have it any other way. The Injustice 2 route is cool and all, but I won't be playing that game in a year, Tekken I will.

IJ2's story mode is around 4 hours as well.

Dereck

I'm not seeing an option for online practice lobbies in the menu.

X7J7kW3.png

acsmLZr.png

galvenize

Just watched a French review and it echoes most of what's being said here. Lackluster content though not SFV launch bad.
Some People are gonna be in uproar for no classic vs. AI mode though.

Rajang

Just watched a French review and it echoes most of what's being said here. Lackluster content though not SFV launch bad.
Some People are gonna be in uproar for no classic vs. AI mode though.

This doesn't make any sense. Arcade mode is in the game and Treasure Battle is Ghost Battle on crack.

But I agree that the offline modes are lacking. It's ironic because the main reason they delayed the game was to make the offline content more beefy and "not make the mistake others made". 3 offline gameplay modes is not a whole lot. I know some like to mock people asking for stuff like Team Battle and what not, but those type of modes wouldn't even be that hard to implement and would please casual fans.

Waaaaaaiiit there's no straight up VS CPU? Arcade mode is nice, but it's really only a handful of unselectable battles. Treasure Mode is the same thing. It'd be nice to be able to select who you wanna fight.

I mean, I guess you could go to training mode and turn the regen lifebars off, but that ain't really the same thing.

galvenize

This doesn't make any sense. Arcade mode is in the game and Treasure Battle is Ghost Battle on crack.

But I agree that the offline modes are lacking. It's ironic because the main reason they delayed the game was to make the offline content more beefy and "not make the mistake others made". 3 offline gameplay modes is not a whole lot. I know some like to mock people asking for stuff like Team Battle and what not, but those type of modes wouldn't even be that hard to implement and would please casual fans.

According to the video and the comments they already seem to be disappointed not being able to play a couple of rounds against a character of their choosing in the arena of their choosing.

Rajang

According to the video and the comments they already seem to be disappointed not being able to play a couple of rounds against a character of their choosing in the arena of their choosing.

No Tekken ever had this.

It was always just arcade mode and in T5: DR they introduced Ghost Battle, where you pick your opponent each time. Treasure Battle is the same but they also added gameplay elements from Mokujin Rush from Tekken Revolution.

No Tekken ever had this.

It was always just arcade mode and in T5: DR they introduced Ghost Battle, where you pick your opponent each time. Treasure Battle is the same but they also added gameplay elements from Mokujin Rush from Tekken Revolution.

Ahh maybe this is true. I think Team Battle did that for people in terms of letting them fight the CPU there instead of having a straight VS CPU mode.

And I guess you weren't able to pick who the CPU picks in the previous Team Battle modes either now that I think about it.

Pompadour

So wait, is Ghost AI in this game and in what capacity. Most of the singleplayer stuff in here or not I couldn't care less about but the ghost data opponents is such a cool feature that should be in more fighting games.

First of all there is nothing Classic about picking a CPU character of your choosing and fighting it. I can think of like 2 fighting games that have that option in Vs. Second you can do this in Tekken 7 in practice mode.

Top Bottom