• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

AAK

Input lag in Tekken still has big repercussions in reacting to lows and breaking throws even if it's not to the severity of 2D games.

joeblow

Here's a tip (somewhat expensive one) to lower lag for any PS4 fighter: play the game using Cinematic Mode on a PSVR headset as it has less than 1-frame of lag.

I have one and compared playing the Parappa HD release (music timing game) on it vs. my HDTV and the difference is noticeable.

Mantrox

Here's a tip (somewhat expensive one) to lower lag for any PS4 fighter: play the game using Cinematic Mode on a PSVR headset as it has less than 1-frame of lag.

I have one and compared playing the Parappa HD release (music timing game) on it vs. my HDTV and the difference is noticeable.

Arent they talking about input delay in game?
The lag added by the display should be added on top, no?
So, 7 frames plus whatever the input delay on your display is.

Mantrox

Man, 7 whole frames is a lot. But if it has been like this even on the arcade, people will probably survive; it also should give a big buffer for the online netcode.

Let's get the next OT title ready:
TEKKEN 7 |OT2| Launched 7 frames too early

GrayFoxPL

Fuck, fuck, fuck. My T7 has been sent today but not sure if it'll arrive tomorrow. Please post hurry the fuck up for me.

I must get it tomorrow, I had T7 dreams every night since Monday.

Pachimari

What does this 7 frame delay really mean in terms of gameplay and execution? I have a hard time understand it. Does it mean, that if I press a button, it will take 7 frames for it to execute on the display? So the higher the frame, the quicker I need to be on my button press when throwbreaking or blocking lows and such?

Mantrox

What does this 7 frame delay really mean in terms of gameplay and execution? I have a hard time understand it. Does it mean, that if I press a button, it will take 7 frames for it to execute on the display? So the higher the frame, the quicker I need to be on my button press when throwbreaking or blocking lows and such?

It's pretty much that, but it doesn't matter how quick you are, you can't counter what you can't see.

When you need to punish stuff with strict timings is when it gets infuriating.

When you press a button, it takes around 7 frames for the game to start the move.

It mainly effects whiff punishment and reaction based gameplay. It's highly possible that you could have blocked a move or pressed a button to punish something but because of that 7-frame lag, your input didn't register in time and you got hit/couldn't punish.

I'm not a Tekken player so I don't know how much it affects this game but it has a large effect on almost every 2D fighting game.

Damn, 7.2 frames seems pretty rough comparatively speaking. How does one go about finding out the amount of input lag with a monitor/screen? I'm curious to see how much lag my set up has.

CSX

Damn, 7.2 frames seems pretty rough comparatively speaking. How does one go about finding out the amount of input lag with a monitor/screen? I'm curious to see how much lag my set up has.

figure out the model of your monitor/screen and then google for it .There are websites dedicated to breaking down the statistics of monitors and TVs including latency.

RTings is good for TVs. They even show latency differences when you switch settings around on the TV

I believe DisplayLag is the good site for monitors.

Pachimari

Oh damn, now I want to know how much my ethernet connection, monitor and tv display and wireless Dual Shock 4 adds to the 7.2 frame delay.

[edit] DisplayLag don't seem to have my monitor (Samsung S240HL) in their database.

GrayFoxPL

7.2 lag?

lvs2QCp.gif

I must've read that wrong.

DRPr3FL.gif

no, it's 7.2.

QxMlEgV.gif

They managed to make this even more laggy then Tag2? Congratulations are in order.

cavkrQS.gif

Maybe I shouldn't played T5DR and T6 for practice couple last months. Games they actually knew how to engineer well.

This was probably Harada's reaction when his guys they told him how laggy it is.

nrhtNXl.gif

Van_Waack

Neo Member
GrayFoxPL said:
They managed to make this even more laggy then Tag2? Congratulations are in order.

Tag 2 has 7 frames of input lag, doesn't it ? Does the 0,2 more frames are that perceptible compared to Tag 2 ?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Tag 2 has 7 frames of input lag, doesn't it ? Does the 0,2 more frames are that perceptible compared to Tag 2 ?

5.7 according to the tests on the other page. Though I think I remember someone saying that disabling motion blur made some kind of a difference.

Van_Waack

Neo Member
I am genuinely asking this without irony. I thought the game had 8 frames of input lag in arcades, so I'm kinda relieved we have less on consoles and almost the same amount as TTT2 since I have adjusted to it over the years.

Edit: Ah ok, I have always thought Tag 2 was 7 frames not 5,7. Well, in that case, yes, that's bad =(.

CSX

5.7 according to the tests on the other page. Though I think I remember someone saying that disabling motion blur made some kind of a difference.

Yes, motion blur added enough extra input lag that you could actually feel it.

I remember when i first played Tag 2, i was thinking "why does a lot of shit feel so slow and heavy". Then i turned it off and everyone was nice and smooth lol

I remember there was a tourney where one player turned motion blur as a tactic after he lost the first match. Still lost though since he was against Mr.Naps lol

Will the input lag be the same on pc?

No tests yet but based on other fighting games that got PC versions, PC version tends to have less input lag.

Drag's qcf3 is -5 on hit and -15 on block.
i will never live in that revision bubble where i could abuse it against players like nobi was doing :C.

I'm suuuper disappointed with Eliza. I was really excited to play her, but.. nope.

Not saying she's bad or anything, she's just very much not what i had hoped for or what i like in a character. Really sad. =(

I'm suuuper disappointed with Eliza. I was really excited to play her, but.. nope.

Not saying she's bad or anything, she's just very much not what i had hoped for or what i like in a character. Really sad. =(

Well, it was clear from the trailer that she's closer to Akuma than a Tekken character. She was the beta version of Akuma after all.

figure out the model of your monitor/screen and then google for it .There are websites dedicated to breaking down the statistics of monitors and TVs including latency.

RTings is good for TVs. They even show latency differences when you switch settings around on the TV

I believe DisplayLag is the good site for monitors.

Shoulda clarified, I play on a projector, I've tried a few google searches but get mixed answers, so was wondering how to check it yourself if anyone here knows.

Also, look at all these guys with tekken while I'm just here waiting for my delivery to arrive lol. It feels good seeing tekken be the main game everyone's talking about ATM, also getting great reviews. Good stuff for the future hopefully.

joeblow

Arent they talking about input delay in game?
The lag added by the display should be added on top, no?
So, 7 frames plus whatever the input delay on your display is.

You misunderstood my post. Of course the display cannot reduce built-in game lag. I was suggesting a way to get the lowest net-total lag when you consider most console players will play on an HDTV, which makes it worse.

Using a PSVR headset (if they have one) in Cinema mode will be a better experience for this particular issue than the majority of TVs out there. That is what I was trying to point out.

Top Bottom