• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TellTale Damages the Jeep of Something Awful's Boomerjinks

Sucks to see this happen to Boomerjinks since he was my inspiration to begin the journey of building my own Jurassic Park jeep. Hopefully Tell Tale makes this right, they already are taking way too long to make that happen.

hwalker84

I don't know how you contained your rage when you saw your vehicle.

What an asshole of a company and I hope they get exposed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TellTale needs to pay. There's no excuse they wouldn't pay for the damages after something like this. They're the ones that shipped it, and the shipping damaged it.

Kinyou said:
Goddammit TellTale, stop already with Jurassic Park and get us another Monkey Island or Sam & Max season

I wish they would show something from Fables or Kings Quest. What is the point of announcing a bunch of games and keeping them under wraps for years? They have to finish with Jurassic Park, The Walking Dead, Fables, and Kings Quest before we see another Monkey Island, Sam and Max, or anything else for that matter.

Telltale are cunts, let's do this. Like that spoilt brat who borrows your bike and gives it back all jacked and just shrugs their shoulders.

DonMigs85

I wonder if that employee of theirs who "doesn't know the first thing about cars" feels guilty at all. The company might try to pin the blame on her and have her fired.

DonMigs85 said:
I wonder if that employee of theirs who "doesn't know the first thing about cars" feels guilty at all. The company might try to pin the blame on her and have her fired.

I have seen a lot of people who do not own a vehicle completely dismiss the complaints of those who do. To the point of "Why do you care if someone keys your car?" etc. It would not shock me if the person in charge of this saw zero issues with what shape the car was in.

Stories like these are all too common.

I just don't lend shit to people unless I dont' care about it. That's my policy for the most part. Sucks that he is going to get screwed probably.

wrowa

JaseC said:
TellTale refusing to foot the bill is a dick move, but the bigger surprise is that nobody has threatened to no longer buy their games.
Did you take a look at their Jurassic Park game? It's a poor-man's Heavy Rain. And Heavy Rain on its own is already a game of very debatable qualities :lol

Fucking scum.

But yeah. You don't hand over your vehicle to someone who doesn't respect your car as much as you do. And when it comes cars, most people just don't give a shit. That doesn't make it any less inexcusable though. To whoever's stonewalling this over at Telltale: fuck you.

wrowa said:
Did you take a look at their Jurassic Park game? It's a poor-man's Heavy Rain. And Heavy Rain on its own is already a game of very debatable qualities :lol

I was wondering about that myself. It's clear that Telltale wants to be a bigger company and to do that, they need to expand beyond the traditional point and click adventure game. I'm not sure Heavy Rain was the best choice in terms of play style to emulate.

androvsky

I don't blame the guy for wanting to let TellTale borrow his Jeep though.
Last year they used a friends DeLorean at PAX, covering all costs and in addition to paying an amount that I won't disclose here.
He probably felt TellTale was trustworthy after his friend's experience.

WARP10CK

Banned
Baron_Calamity said:
They respond by deleting it. boooo!

Yep they did but clearly people have no intention of letting this go telltales facebook page is spammed with puns about jeeps getting damaged.

FoneBone

I'm just hoping Telltale gets back on track... Tales of Monkey Island and The Devil's Playhouse were terrific, but I didn't even finish Back to the Future, and Jurassic Park is not exactly looking appealing to me.

WarMacheen

Da fuck, declare war! Get all T-Rex on that ass

or, you know, take them to court

Those bastards deleted my post on facebook.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wrowa said:

I dug up some old GAF threads and some people seemed to be looking forward to it, so my comment primarily refers to those who are interested in Telltale's future titles - of which JP is one.

FoneBone

Over on SA, Boomerjinks posted his original email to Telltale:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...&threadid=3314547&pagenumber=30#post397600850

Hey gang,

The atmosphere of PAX was nothing if not astoundingly frenzied, but I think the dust has settled enough for us to address some key issues. Providing use of my Jeep to TellTale resulted in some major problems that were apparent even before the convention actually started, but I didn't want to be "That Guy" who flips out and starts making demands for reparations or threatens to pull the Jeep out of the hall due to the fact that certain requirements to our agreement were not met immediately. In order for you to take care of promoting your product, you needed all of your attention on PAX. I recognized this and graciously let you guys do your thing, thinking that you would reach out to me to put these issues to rest as soon as the event was over.

Suffice to say it has been five days and I have received no contact from anyone at TellTale. No one even contacted me to inform me that the Jeep had been picked up by the transport, I actually had to find this out when someone linked me to a picture on Reddit of my Jeep being towed backwards down the street, the tires grinding into the fender flares.

So far this entire experience has been incredibly unfair. In our email correspondence I outlined - in detail - what was needed for Telltale's use of my Jeep to happen. My specific wording to TellTale was:

"We need to arrange for insured, covered/enclosed, door-to-door, guaranteed-arrival for the Jeep. - What I ask of you is airfare for myself on the afternoon of Thursday, August 25th, and airfare for my wife on the evening of Friday, August 26th, with return as late as possible on the evening of Sunday, August 28th (8pm+). - I also need a few Expo badges (Saturday only is fine, unless you have exhibitor passes or something similar), a hotel room (which I believe Alan has already booked), and per diem."

Enclosed transport was not arranged, though I was assured to the contrary, and this resulted in extensive damage to the paint on both sides of the Jeep, damage to the driver's seat, damage to the soft top hardware, and damage to the windshield on the return trip. I actually put nearly $1000 into the Jeep immediately prior to PAX, refurbishing the interior, repainting the wheels, completely restoring the trim, new tires, and replacing the several of the graphics, all so that your booth would have a Jeep that looked sharp, spectacular, and reflected the passion and professionalism with which you'd be presenting your game to the world. All without the slightest thought of compensation for those preparation costs; I wanted you to have the best, not just some rattle-canned POS in your booth.

As I understand it, the Jeep was fully insured both directions. TellTale paid for the "VIP" service level, I have no idea what we got. The Jeep was picked up a day late, it was dropped off in Denver in the middle of the night, with damage all around and inside. "VIP" supposedly includes cleaning and waxing, but we know that the Jeep arrived in Seattle absolutely covered in road grime and hydraulic grease, and the same happened when it got back to Denver on Tuesday.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how TellTale can make this right. TellTale didn't meet the agreement with per diem, but all the damage to the Jeep was done purely on the side of Evergreen and Advance Car Carrier Corporation. I'm open to ideas, but so far I'm very jilted from the fact that helping TellTale out resulted in little more than my most valued possession getting shredded.

Please get back to me at your earliest convenience. I'd like to have a few options before everyone disperses for the holiday weekend.

Best regards,
Kevin

FatalT

Banned
Their response through deleting anything related to this incident on their forums and Facebook page is pathetic.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yup, I hope this blows up in their face. I've only bought 1 Telltale game (Back to the Future) so it won't be hard to avoid their games.

TellTale: Your lawyers are making you look really, really bad.

Very disappointing. How anyone could honestly believe they could suppress a story like this in this day and age is beyond me, especially in such a high-tech industry. People should really think twice before deciding that whatever their law team is telling them to do is absolutely their best course of action. I'm sure that's what's happening here.

Of course, lawblob could pop up in here and tell me I'm wrong and they're doing the right thing, but I kinda doubt it.

FoneBone

FatalT said:
Their response through deleting anything related to this incident on their forums and Facebook page is pathetic.
It's stupid. Not that they can really put the genie in the bottle, but deleting the posts makes them look worse.

androvsky

No one even contacted me to inform me that the Jeep had been picked up by the transport, I actually had to find this out when someone linked me to a picture on Reddit of my Jeep being towed backwards down the street, the tires grinding into the fender flares.

I think I found the picture he's referencing, you can see some of the damage already. http://i.imgur.com/vtoNe.jpg It's hard to believe they didn't even have a flatbed trailer, even my shitty cars get better treatment getting towed for repairs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/jz4uu/objects_in_mirror_are_closer_than_they_appearon/
Was it being loaded onto the trailer at this point, or was it being fucking ROLLED AROUND LIKE THIS?
Goddamn company was paid for "enclosed transport," and this does not look like that.
Fucking hell, man. You can see the damage done to the paint near the rear stripe, as well as the chips on the side step. I'm never letting anyone ship my cars anywhere again.
[–]Boomerjinks 2 points 2 months ago
Sure enough. Antioch University in the background is a full mile away from the convention center.
Fuck this, man.
permalinkparent
[–]eskimojeff 1 point 2 months ago
It was being rolled around by a tow truck. We actually followed it several miles up the highway like this. Not to mention the very cavalier attitude the driver took towards navigating rush hour traffic...
permalinkparent
[–]ejackso1 2 points 2 months ago
Ouch.
Well, I guess it's a good thing that your vehicle is awesome enough that anyone who sees it snaps a picture of it. You even have photographic evidence and a witness you could contact if need be! If it was a more normal vehicle you would've never known.
permalinkparent

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
why are they being a bunch of big dicks about this? maybe the guy was too trusting, but its not like we don't know who is essentially at fault here -- TellTale.

They're the ones who picked the carrier company
They're the ones who treated his car like shit
They're the ones who let some dude who doesn't even own a car or know anything about cars be in charge of a car
They're the ones who are being unprofessional NOW and ignoring him.

This is all pretty offensive, and shows they don't give a shit about their friends or people who do things for them.

Fireye

EXIF info on the higher resolution pictures, for the conspiracy theorists:
(Picture 1)
Camera: Canon PowerShot G11
Lens: 6.1 mm
(Max aperture f/2.8)
Exposure: Auto exposure, 1/60 sec, f/2.8, ISO 200
Flash: On, Red-eye reduction
Date: August 18, 2011 7:07:01AM (timezone not specified)

(Picture 2)
Camera: Canon PowerShot G11
Lens: 6.1 mm
(Max aperture f/2.8)
Exposure: Auto exposure, 1/79 sec, f/2.8, ISO 400
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Date: August 18, 2011 7:07:24AM (timezone not specified)

Obviously, TellTale should reimburse this guy for repairs. He did them a favor by giving them the use of a terrific physical prop for the promotion of their game. The prop was mistreated while in their care.

wrowa

I wonder why they paid so much to the guy with the DeLorean last year, and are now cheaping out. I hope they haven't overtstrain themselves with the aquisition of so many licenses recently.

JaseC said:
I dug up some old GAF threads and some people seemed to be looking forward to it, so my comment primarily refers to those who are interested in Telltake's future titles - of which JP is one.
Let me put it that way: I won't buy another game by Telltale until this matter is settled. Under normal circumstances I dislike boycotts, actually I think they are silly most of the time, but in the case of Telltale one of the reasons I keep buying many of their games is sympathy. I always thought of them as a sympathic company; as some nice guys.

This, however, isn't nice at all. And as long as they haven't paid for his repairs at least, I won't support them anymore.

The probability that I will actually not buy a game by them I would've otherwise end up buying is rather small, though. Since JP doesn't look interesting in the slightest, and their other games are still rather far off, I'm convinced that the matter will be solved when the next interesting release is due.

If the price is right, he could get an attorney to contact all involved parties to the plaintiff's cause and request similar third party/pro se situations where damages where sought.

Damn, sounds like a mess.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think Advance Car Carrier Corp should have to pay for the damages. They shouldn't slide if there is documented proof that it was their fault.

SapientWolf said:
I think Advance Car Carrier Corp should have to pay for the damages. They shouldn't slide if there is documented proof that it was their fault.

The person at Telltale who signed for it fucked up any chance of that ever happening.

FoneBone

SapientWolf said:
My understanding from the OP is that signing the Bill of Lading absolved the carrier of any legal responsibility (even though they were the ones directly responsible for the damage).

Aselith

I don't think TellTale are aware that you can't afford to dick people around if you're a small company. I guess they're thinking they won't need to promote any games again with liveried cars?

Aselith said:
I don't think TellTale are aware that you can't afford to dick people around if you're a small company. I guess they're thinking they won't need to promote any games again with liveried cars?

I'm starting to wonder if the higher-ups at TellTale even really know what is going on yet, they can't be this stupid. This is a company that relies on the good will of the "core" audience to survive and it is eroding by the hour.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wrowa said:
Let me put it that way: I won't buy another game by Telltale until this matter is settled. Under normal circumstances I dislike boycotts, actually I think they are silly most of the time, but in the case of Telltale one of the reasons I keep buying many of their games is sympathy. I always thought of them as a sympathic company; as some nice guys.

This, however, isn't nice at all. And as long as they haven't paid for his repairs at least, I won't support them anymore.

Yeah, that's an understandable stance given this is more personal scenario - a developer dicking over a fan - than, say, boycotting Left 4 Dead 2 due to the assumption that the new content doesn't warrant a new game.

This is really disheartening and makes me lose any interest in supporting TellTale in the future. That jeep was definitely the highlight at their booth and I didn't realize it belonged to the same guy.

Just act like decent people and fucking own up to it.

judhudson

Glad to see this is getting attention on GAF. Boomer also posted this on the GBFans forums as well (he owns the Dodge Magnum Ecto too). I really hope sites can help Kevin out and get the word out on his Jeep. Telltale is 100% responsible on this one.

Top Bottom