• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's Poker Night 2 officially announced (PS3/360/PC)

Was so down until I heard Ash. They seriously couldn't get Bruce Campbell or is this a part of his wanting to stay away from Evil Dead due to the remake and such?

I'm interested, I missed the boat on the first one and I'm not particularly attached to or fond of Ash so yeah. It'll be for me as if I had bought the first one, not really caring about those Strong Bad or bunny characters.

Jawmuncher

I personally was fine with ashes voice.
Figured they wouldn't get him anyway and the stand in sounds fine to me.

Salsa

Official Site's finally live

The BL2 unlocks are actually pretty good.

looks like my next character is gonna be a mechromancer

iinBy0w5eNk34.PNG

From the official site

Poker Night 2 is the unnecessary sequel to Poker Night at the Inventory! In the original game, you played poker with a bunch of weirdoes for fame and fortune Team Fortress 2 items and the satisfaction of beating the odds. Now, In Poker Night 2…

A different bunch of weirdoes officially licensed, triple ‘A’ characters (Claptrap, Brock Samson, Ash Williams, Sam)
More prizes than ever before (what you can win depends on the game system you’re using)
From the Portal game series, your dealer is GLaDOS!
Two poker styles – Texas Hold ‘Em and now Omaha!
MORE satisfaction in beating the odds (though it’s not guaranteed, since satisfaction is subjective and it must be pointed out, not legally binding in any way)!
Hilariously witty banter between your new poker buddies
It’s a dream come true!
Are you a poker wizard? You’ll love it. Can you barely count to 21 or remember what day it is? You’ll love it too because in Poker Night 2, even when you’re losing, you’re winning. And vice-versa.

Huh, I've never played Omaha. What is it like?

I'm kind of disappointed that the Bloodhound can only be worn by the Sniper or the Spy since I have better hats for both, but I will be wearing that Samson Skewer with pride.

SmithnCo

Was so down until I heard Ash. They seriously couldn't get Bruce Campbell or is this a part of his wanting to stay away from Evil Dead due to the remake and such?

He's one of the producers on the new one.

Kinda sucks if he's not the voice but I can deal with it, Ash being in at all is still pretty awesome.

He's one of the producers on the new one.

Kinda sucks if he's not the voice but I can deal with it, Ash being in at all is still pretty awesome.

That I know. I meant the fact that they're trying to put the remake center stage versus having it be too dependent on the Ash character. Regardless I'll be getting this.

Why?

iinBy0w5eNk34.PNG

#TeamGaige

Meia

You know, I don't want to be "that guy" and never thought I would be...

But as much as I love the rest of the cast, no bruce = no buy for me. I would just be too annoyed any time he opened his mouth, as I was watching the trailer. And that's the whole point of games like this... :(

Why even have him here? I'd have preferred probably anyone else, they could've slapped in another TF2 character and it would have been fine. Why put in someone like Ash if you're not going to have the person everyone knows as him in the role?

You lose the handle...All-In with pocket aces. Clementine puts her hand on your shoulder, "It's okay...I'm sure we'll raise enough money to see my parents soon, right?"

Salt stings your eyes. You don't have the courage to look back.

FIN
So good.

He was in the commercial for the remake last night...

The ways words are worded I suppose. All I know about him and remake is that he didn't want the focus of the franchise now to be on himself and Ash. Just mentioned that as a possible reason of why he isn't voicing the character seeing as he would be down to voice Ash in something like this.

Jake

Hope this means that there will be a sale for the first one
I am also a sale-monger, but I question it when the game is only $5. That gets into "less than I would impulse-buy on gross snacks on a road trip," AKA a price point my brain registers as "basically already on sale."

This really makes me want a venture bros point and click adventure game even more.
No kidding! Brock looks and acts well in the game in 3D. I was worried that we'd be able to nail his look but my brain is often freaked out by it. It's still not perfect hand drawn obviously, but the team nailed the style in a way I wasn't expecting.

I am also a sale-monger, but I question it when the game is only $5. That gets into "less than I would impulse-buy on gross snacks on a road trip," AKA a price point my brain registers as "basically already on sale."

So, er, will the new one be as cheap? I'm guessing the more extravagant licenses would suggest otherwise.

Kinyou

You do have a point
despite your possible self-interest ;)
. It's just hard to get out of the sales mentality. But now that I think about it, saving something like $2 by waiting for a sale is hardly really worth it.

Meia

I just can't wrap my head around this still. Did they even discuss the ramifications of having a new VA for that?

It's not even remake Ash, it's Army of Darkness Ash, the ones fans are familiar with. This game has always been about the characters saying humorous things to each other as they play the standard poker game. That's the allure of these games. They couldn't have the Spy be someone? They couldn't have the other half of PA be someone? They couldn't just have Glados as a full time player?

They had to pick a fan favorite character, and because it's not acted, it may as well be any other character that's NOT Ash because the voice is different. It's just an idiotic, and frankly enraging, decision.

mclem

Huh, I've never played Omaha. What is it like?

You get four cards, and you have to use exactly two of them with exactly three of the cards from the board to make the best hand. Leads to some interesting nuance (being dealt four of a kind is *bad*, since you can only use two of them; because every hand has to have some hidden cards in it, you can't have situations where the board is the nuts).

Wonder if it'll be Omaha Hi/Lo; I've got quite fond of that variant lately (Each pot is split in two; half is awarded to the highest hand as normal, the other half is awarded to the *lowest* hand; straights and flushes don't count for that, but pairs do, so the lowest hand is A2345. You can't make a low hand including any card higher than 8; if there's no low hands, high hand takes it all)

Jake, Jake, Jake, since you're within earshot: Generic Non-Branded D&D Ripoff Night At The Inventory. You *know* it makes sense.

Edit: Actually, let me elaborate further on that point. A while back, an amateur text adventure was released: Textfire Golf. It was interesting in two key ways; for one thing, it was a genuine simulation of golf handled in a text adventure engine, but also secondly it was about the atmosphere of golf, an afternoon out with your coworkers and the boss, with full knowledge that your career could be dependent on this...

I loved the concept, the idea of having NPCs in a generic sports title that had their own personalities, motives and storylines. PNATI feels similar to Textfire Golf in that regard, and it's a concept I'd like to see more games run with.

Top Bottom