• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

Apus

Neo Member
Hey guys, stupid fence sitter here, so probably a huge 'should I buy it?' rant incoming D:

I played the beta for the first time after having watched Tera for a looong time, and generally hyping myself up hugely for it. I was massively into L2 (played Korea, Japan, English betas before playing retail for 5+ years etc) and have been really excited about playing Tera, aka Lineage 3.

I left the beta with some mixed feelings though, because generally I quite like it, but it seems a bit too much of a departure from Lineage 2 than I was after. The problem is this has left me on the fence about whether or not to take the plunge, I'm hoping some of you guys who are maxed out or know the Korean client can help.

I quite liked the whole BAMs side of things, I was a Lancer so soloing Basilisks was prettyfun. I went on and solo'd some Indolent Kumas and the Naga dudes around them, but all 3 BAMs seemed pretty damn similar to eachother. They all have their charge attack, their spin/swipe, generic attack, etc. Do the BAMs become more varied the higher you get? I don't really like the questing side of Tera, I'd rather just grind out BAMs, but I fear I'd get sick of that too if they're all just essentially the same fight over and over.

Having only gotten to lvl 24, I didn't really get to experience some of the higher zones there are. One of things I was really looking forward to was getting back to a game which had more of a Lineage 2 style world. I really loved the world that Lineage 2 had, with it being huge and expansive, and not a WoW style world where there were specific areas, enclosed almost entirely by mountains but with tiny chokes leading to the next area. Tera kinda felt like this, at least in the areas I was in. Does it open up a bit more? I saw one guy here saying he found some open world dungeons, which excites me, kinda like the Necopolis' in Lineage. I love that kinda stuff.

TL;DR - I'm a huge Lineage 2 guy and Tera kinda feels like it's had a bit tooooo much 'WoW' injected into it - does it become more like L2, and do the BAMs get more varied?

Any info you guys can give would be awesome ^^ I've been going back and forth on whether it's 'for me' so much it's annoying >_>

vaelic

Banned
Hey guys, stupid fence sitter here, so probably a huge 'should I buy it?' rant incoming D:

I played the beta for the first time after having watched Tera for a looong time, and generally hyping myself up hugely for it. I was massively into L2 (played Korea, Japan, English betas before playing retail for 5+ years etc) and have been really excited about playing Tera, aka Lineage 3.

I left the beta with some mixed feelings though, because generally I quite like it, but it seems a bit too much of a departure from Lineage 2 than I was after. The problem is this has left me on the fence about whether or not to take the plunge, I'm hoping some of you guys who are maxed out or know the Korean client can help.

I quite liked the whole BAMs side of things, I was a Lancer so soloing Basilisks was prettyfun. I went on and solo'd some Indolent Kumas and the Naga dudes around them, but all 3 BAMs seemed pretty damn similar to eachother. They all have their charge attack, their spin/swipe, generic attack, etc. Do the BAMs become more varied the higher you get? I don't really like the questing side of Tera, I'd rather just grind out BAMs, but I fear I'd get sick of that too if they're all just essentially the same fight over and over.

Having only gotten to lvl 24, I didn't really get to experience some of the higher zones there are. One of things I was really looking forward to was getting back to a game which had more of a Lineage 2 style world. I really loved the world that Lineage 2 had, with it being huge and expansive, and not a WoW style world where there were specific areas, enclosed almost entirely by mountains but with tiny chokes leading to the next area. Tera kinda felt like this, at least in the areas I was in. Does it open up a bit more? I saw one guy here saying he found some open world dungeons, which excites me, kinda like the Necopolis' in Lineage. I love that kinda stuff.

TL;DR - I'm a huge Lineage 2 guy and Tera kinda feels like it's had a bit tooooo much 'WoW' injected into it - does it become more like L2, and do the BAMs get more varied?

Any info you guys can give would be awesome ^^ I've been going back and forth on whether it's 'for me' so much it's annoying >_>
it's far from Lineage 2, and that's a good thing!

jiien

I never played KTERA so I don't have a full 60 levels worth of BAM experience. However, I can tell you that of the ones I've run into up to level 32 are somewhat varied. All of them do have a basic attack, a charge, a spin attack. Some leap into the air, some jump/dash/leap, sidestep. Some use their tails to hit behind them. I've seen videos of BAMs burrowing and then popping up somewhere else. You should check around youtube, because there are a ton of videos of people soloing various BAMs. It might help give you an idea. I've yet to feel like I'm fighting the same thing over and over.

The game areas definitely open up, both in feel and in walkable area. The beginning is very corridor-ish. Chebika has something of large desert-ish area. However, it's not like Skyrim, where you can walk anywhere you can see. There are some crazy areas and small platforming things you can find to circumvent maps and climb up mountains. That said, I would say that the atmospheres definitely trump the walkable area. The environments are pretty distinct, colorful, and varied. I didn't entirely check all of the walkable area around Chebika, for example, but it felt/i] vast.

Anyway, I gave you something of a non-answer.

Edit: Also, I never played Lineage 2, so I don't know entirely what you are looking for. So take what I say with a grain of salt, of course.

Huge Lineage 2 fan here as well and sorry, no Lineage feeling what so ever, not even in the art.

Aion is more Lineage then TERA is.

Reikon

NCsoft are douchebags who are still sore about how their Lineage team left to found Bluehole. They've been astroturfing GW2 vs. Tera since almost the beginning trying to turn players of both games against each other while marketing GW2 exactly when Tera is launching to try and kill it.

Or you know, a coincidence. Picking the open beta weekend would have been a much better choice if they wanted to screw Tera. Head start is for people already sold on Tera. Missing a few days isn't that big of a deal.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Or you know, a coincidence. Picking the open beta weekend would have been a much better choice if they wanted to screw Tera. Head start is for people already sold on Tera. Missing a few days isn't that big of a deal.

You do know they tried to do a court case where they wouldnt of been able to release tera in the states right?

Apus

Neo Member
I never played KTERA so I don't have a full 60 levels worth of BAM experience. However, I can tell you that of the ones I've run into up to level 32 are somewhat varied. All of them do have a basic attack, a charge, a spin attack. Some leap into the air, some jump/dash/leap, sidestep. Some use their tails to hit behind them. I've seen videos of BAMs burrowing and then popping up somewhere else. You should check around youtube, because there are a ton of videos of people soloing various BAMs. It might help give you an idea. I've yet to feel like I'm fighting the same thing over and over.

The game areas definitely open up, both in feel and in walkable area. The beginning is very corridor-ish. Chebika has something of large desert-ish area. However, it's not like Skyrim, where you can walk anywhere you can see. There are some crazy areas and small platforming things you can find to circumvent maps and climb up mountains. That said, I would say that the atmospheres definitely trump the walkable area. The environments are pretty distinct, colorful, and varied. I didn't entirely check all of the walkable area around Chebika, for example, but it felt/i] vast.

Edit: Also, I never played Lineage 2, so I don't know entirely what you are looking for. So take what I say with a grain of salt, of course.

Thanks for the input, this is the kind of stuff I was after :D Definitely edging me more towards a purchase.

if only i can make my mount walk slower so i can feel the area. it's so beautiful i have to take pictures even during battle LOL.

RSLAEV

The only thing keeping me from buying this game is the lack of character body customization options. The prospect of every member of the same race and sex being the exact same height and weight is just really hard for me to get over.

The only thing keeping me from buying this game is the lack of character body customization options. The prospect of every member of the same race and sex being the exact same height and weight is just really hard for me to get over.

Yeah, I feel this way about a lot of character creators. I'd love to change body type, posture, and gestures. Maybe some day.

jiien

It is much less noticeable than you'd think. With four races with two sexes and three single-sex races, you've eleven distinct body types. With three types of armor, that's thirty three distinct looks. Not even counting weapons, when I probably should, since the weapons are so large in some cases that you tend to notice them before the body attached to them. Hair tends to be the next most prominent feature that you notice on the characters, and there are anywhere from 7 to 15(maybe higher?) hair styles per race/sex combo (which includes things like different types of horns/ears/tails). You've also got customizable face sliders and such, though those are much harder to notice when running through the world.

I am sort of glossing over the fact that there are no body sliders, but I would say that the customization is pretty impressive. The animations for each sex/race are distinct too, and there are armor dyes and weapon glows, which leaves you with a very varied world. I can tell you that I've never felt like I had seen that guy before, even at the cap of 32 levels of playing on the most crowded NA server available (I actually only got to level 31, but yeah).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've never been huge on customization of character in MMO's. I mean, to an extent, sure, I like it...But it's not a big issue if it lacks. :) The various gear and dyes give me enough options, haha.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Plus you can make any armor or weapon in the game look like any other of it's same armor or weapon type. So you can have a level 60 armor look like say the level 27 armor if you reallly liked it.

Rinoa

Most of my friends and I are long haired brunettes... in any other MMO I guarantee we'd look the exact damn same when recreating ourselves But in TERA..

464428_10150861791582652_508032651_11903101_1438279540_o.jpg]

413978_10150861799532652_508032651_11903140_1974129246_o.jpg
..we have differently shaped faces, jawlines, makeup, and skintones. Eyebrows are a huge deal in making faces diff, too. TERA's ornate outfits also help in differentiation.

One mentioned how we all got similar hairstyles yet look nothing like one another, even while wearing the same color outfits on purpose. It would be nice if we had more dark hair options but even a slight variation in skin or hair color really affects how the shine looks in different lighting.

Plus you can make any armor or weapon in the game look like any other of it's same armor or weapon type. So you can have a level 60 armor look like say the level 27 armor if you reallly liked it.

I've yet to figure out the armor/weapon swapping thingo, as well as preset outfits. Definitely not feeling some of the level 30ish outfits for high elf mage.

RSLAEV

Most of my friends and I are long haired brunettes... in any other MMO I guarantee we'd look the exact damn same when recreating ourselves But in TERA..

464428_10150861791582652_508032651_11903101_1438279540_o.jpg

413978_10150861799532652_508032651_11903140_1974129246_o.jpg

..we have differently shaped faces, jawlines, makeup, and skintones. Eyebrows are a huge deal in making faces diff, too. TERA's ornate outfits also help in differentiation.

One mentioned how we all got similar hairstyles yet look nothing like one another, even while wearing the same color outfits on purpose. It would be nice if we had more dark hair options but even a slight variation in skin or hair color really affects how the shine looks in different lighting.

I've yet to figure out the armor/weapon swapping thingo, as well as preset outfits. Definitely not feeling some of the level 30ish outfits for high elf mage.

Hrmm.. yeah I dunno-the differences you describe in these images are lost on me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hrmm.. yeah I dunno-the differences you describe in these images are lost on me.

Stop staring at the tits

here is my elf looks nothing like the 3 above either.

It's the merchant right outside where you get the main story quest in the capital. The alley just on the other side of the bag size upgrader.

Izayoi

Banned
I been selling to NPC cause faster, guess should sell my old eq on the broker?
Always. Broker first, vendor is a last resort only.

Wow, that's SUPER shitty. I'd be skeptical as well. :\ Thankfully, the US side doesn't appear to be as buggy or crap-tastic communication wise. But who knows...
I've never dealt with better customer support than EME. I can ask them pretty much anything and a GM will always get back to me, sometimes in minutes. They've resolved every problem I've had so far without issue.

Rinoa

Stop staring at the tits

here is my elf looks nothing like the 3 above either.

It's the merchant right outside where you get the main story quest in the capital. The alley just on the other side of the bag size upgrader.

Mok, will do that next time onrine.

And lol yours makes 3 characters with same hair (the bangs+long) and we still don't look same.

Visceir

I had a rather difficult time figuring out what monsters are counted as "boss" monsters and which are counted as "normal", does anyone know for sure? Are BAMs counted as boss or normal? That info would really help me make better decisions on which crystals to use.

I used to play L2 and the one thing I do kinda miss is all the open world dungeons and how open world pvp played into that. Fighting for the leveling places or just getting a little party vs. part pvp in while leveling.

But perhaps joining a bigger guild who does GvsG more actively would fix that. Guess I should bother ROBOKITTYZILLA about joining his guild :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I had a rather difficult time figuring out what monsters are counted as "boss" monsters and which are counted as "normal", does anyone know for sure? Are BAMs counted as boss or normal? That info would really help me make better decisions on which crystals to use.

I used to play L2 and the one thing I do kinda miss is all the open world dungeons and how open world pvp played into that. Fighting for the leveling places or just getting a little party vs. part pvp in while leveling.

But perhaps joining a bigger guild who does GvsG more actively would fix that. Guess I should bother ROBOKITTYZILLA about joining his guild :p

I would assume BAM's count as boss monsters.

Izayoi

Banned

BAMs are "boss" or "large" monsters. Normal are "medium". Minions are "small". There seem to be some discrepancies in the translation, and you see the other terms pop up on rare occasions.

There are quite a few open world dungeons in TERA, and they actually get pretty crowded at later levels. Should be interesting for those on PvP servers.

Yeah but doing a court case in every single country the game gets released in?

This is the stupid part, NCSoft had already lost the initial court case in Korea when they filed the one in the US. Now they have also lost on the appeal as well. All EME/Bluehole have to do now is point to the court decision made in Korea and just sit back and relax while NCSoft's crack teams of trained attack lawyers sputter about how it's totally different now in the US than it was in Korea.

I wasn't able to get the OT up tonight but it's about 75-80% complete. I should have it up sometime after I get off work tomorrow. Nice job on the Community thread, BTW!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wasn't able to get the OT up tonight but it's about 75-80% complete. I should have it up sometime after I get off work tomorrow. Nice job on the Community thread, BTW!

Can't wait to see it, I'm no in any of the gaf guilds or servers but I'll still be glad to help with questions and stuff in the OT as time goes on *I have no life ill be playing this 24/7*

Arksy

I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for about 4 years. I was so looking forward to playing it this weekend and while I'm still anticipating it greatly, I have to say....I played TERA during two for the CBT's and thought that the game was alright. Mostly i didn't get past level 14. In the open beta test i got to level 28 or so.

I just can't believe how much the game opens up after about level 18. The zones are impossibly pretty, as are the characters. The combat is fluid and dynamic, allowing a huge range of skill. I like the way it punishes you for playing poorly. Soloing an Indolent Kuma was perhaps one of the most exhilirating gaming experiences I've had recently. It took a LONG time but the fact that it could be done...I got the same rush I got from playing Demons Souls.

I was playing a popori sorceror and I can say I am having serious withdrawl from playing TERA over the weekend. To the point it's taken a huge breath out of my anticipation for GW2 and I really don't know how to feel about it.

In any case. I have pre-purchased both, so I'll never have to really chose. :)

PewPewK

I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for about 4 years. I was so looking forward to playing it this weekend and while I'm still anticipating it greatly, I have to say....I played TERA during two for the CBT's and thought that the game was alright. Mostly i didn't get past level 14. In the open beta test i got to level 28 or so.

I just can't believe how much the game opens up after about level 18. The zones are impossibly pretty, as are the characters. The combat is fluid and dynamic, allowing a huge range of skill. I like the way it punishes you for playing poorly. Soloing an Indolent Kuma was perhaps one of the most exhilirating gaming experiences I've had recently. It took a LONG time but the fact that it could be done...I got the same rush I got from playing Demons Souls.

I was playing a popori sorceror and I can say I am having serious withdrawl from playing TERA over the weekend. To the point it's taken a huge breath out of my anticipation for GW2 and I really don't know how to feel about it.

I plan on having TERA tide me over until GW2's release and then I'll see which one I enjoy more.

The server names for Tera EU are up :

* Server 1: Velik – Type: PvE – Language: EN/EU
* Server 2: Essenia – Type: PvP – Language: EN/EU
* Server 3: Kaia – Type: PvE – Language: DE
* Server 4: Arachnea – Type: PvP – Language: DE
* Server 5: Elinu – Type: PvE – Language: FR
* Server 6: Callida – Type: PvP – Language: FR

PCC, Headstart and Launch details

So we should update the OP with that information

Glad to see you gave the game another chance and are really enjoying it. You made the right decision! I'll be playing both as well but will probably be a lot more casual toward GW2.

The server names for Tera EU are up :

* Server 1: Velik – Type: PvE – Language: EN/EU
* Server 2: Essenia – Type: PvP – Language: EN/EU
* Server 3: Kaia – Type: PvE – Language: DE
* Server 4: Arachnea – Type: PvP – Language: DE
* Server 5: Elinu – Type: PvE – Language: FR
* Server 6: Callida – Type: PvP – Language: FR

PCC, Headstart and Launch details

So we should update the OP with that information

Thanks for the update. I'll leave the old information for historical purposes and post this new list in the OT which should be going up tonight.

Miss the exploration.

I guess subscription plan will go live when the game starts.

Might do the 3 months.

You should be able to pick a subscription plan when you pre-order. You will not be charged for your subscription until after the 30 day trial period (37 days for EU).

hyelife

Hi all.
I'm also someone thats on the fence on this one. I have been playing Lineage 2 for many years and always tried to move on to different games like WoW, GW but always ended up going back to L2. How does Tera compare to L2 for those of you that have played both.

TGMIII

Hi all.
I'm also someone thats on the fence on this one. I have been playing Lineage 2 for many years and always tried to move on to different games like WoW, GW but always ended up going back to L2. How does Tera compare to L2 for those of you that have played both.

It's been a long time since I played L2 but they don't really compare. They're worlds apart to me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hi all.

Unrelated, but I watched a few videos of L2...It looks a lot like a WoW clone (don't take that as it sounds, haha). What's so special about it? It seems to have a very devout following.

TGMIII

Unrelated, but I watched a few videos of L2...It looks a lot like a WoW clone (don't take that as it sounds, haha). What's so special about it? It seems to have a very devout following.

L2 launched 2003 in Korea and April 2004 for NA while WoW launched November 2004 for NA. Just so you know.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

LOL

I don't know the Korean release date, but I would assume a year earlier.

Lineage2 04/27/04

WoW 11/23/04

WoW is the first MMO ever made right? :p

What was special about it was the way the pvp worked, the whole guild takes over castles which in return gives them control over nearby cities, people declaring war on said guild and raiding the castle to get to the guild leader inside. The pvp system was very punishing/rewarding as you and them had a chance to drop items but being red ment everyone on the server would hunt for your ass.

hyelife

Mature Graphics
Enchanting System
Raids
PVP
These are stuff I enjoyed in L2.
Also the people I played with added to the experience.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mature Graphics
Enchanting System
Raids
PVP
These are stuff I enjoyed in L2.
Also the people I played with added to the experience.

You know what sucked about L2 though? The stupid damage items. Forgot what they are called at the moment but the things you need to spam in order to do your real damage x.x

Mithos

You know what sucked about L2 though? The stupid damage items. Forgot what they are called at the moment but the things you need to spam in order to do your real damage x.x

Soulshots / Spiritshots, and you don't need to spam them, just add them to the bar and rightclick it to have it activate between every attck/skill ;p

Wouldn't mind the L2 PVP/karma/Guild system is in this, since that was pretty much perfection.

Well the PvP/Karma system changed so much in Goddess of Destruction that many people started crying.

Lucc

I'm still good friends with a few ppl in my L2 guild. We even still have our forum running 5 years after we quit and frequently see old faces stop by and say hello, talking about "the old times".

The harsh gaming environment really made you stick together.

Most important thing was no Factions and free pvp. You needed your Guild and your guild needed you. That's what I'm missing in modern MMO. Everything is more about the best loot and the most dmg then the community.

Jackl

To be honest being the first mainstream non-faction game in years it's about as close to L2 as you're going to get.

I'm giving this game a shot. But my faith in MMOs to have dynamic PvP/politics with minimal hand holding died years ago.

Well the PvP/Karma system changed so much in Goddess of Destruction that many people started crying.

People will cry about anything, if they're "inconvenienced" in the slightest. Death penalties and PVP objectives are jokes these days. I've had more compelling poker games after a few beers.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To be honest being the first mainstream non-faction game in years it's about as close to L2 as you're going to get.

I'm giving this game a shot. But my faith in MMOs to have dynamic PvP/politics with minimal hand holding died years ago.

Oh this game will have that for sure

I mean I know about the soulshot thing. I just ment it more how it was a needless moneysink that I hated.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
L2 launched 2003 in Korea and April 2004 for NA while WoW launched November 2004 for NA. Just so you know.

Hence why I said, "don't take it as it sounds". I KNEW the release dates (hooray internet, right?), it was a question posed as a way of describing it to someone who hadn't previously played a true MMO prior to WoW. ;)

Top Bottom