• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

Ricker

This isn't my first rodeo cracks me up everytime I hear a NPC say it...it has nothing to do with the atmosphere,look,feel,story of the game and comes completly out of nowhere,like it's and inside joke from the developpers or something, it's a classic line in the vein of an arrow to the knee to me,you should go with that hehe...

Nopren

Frogster posted a letter to the community, where they respond to the complaints and discussions on the removal of blood and the "cosmetic" changes to the character models.

http://community.tera-europe.com/home/news/article/tera-letter-to-the-community.html

Short version: Blood-slider will be back, no blood on the screen when you kill certain monsters, blood on the ground will be there, costume changes will persist, negative boob-jobs on the models are a worldwide change.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Frogster posted a letter to the community, where they respond to the complaints and discussions on the removal of blood and the "cosmetic" changes to the character models.

http://community.tera-europe.com/home/news/article/tera-letter-to-the-community.html

Short version: Blood-slider will be back, no blood on the screen when you kill certain monsters, blood on the ground will be there, costume changes will persist, negative boob-jobs on the models are a worldwide change.
Yup it's a worldwide change. Which is why the mod site has files for the Elves as well.

TGMIII

I think the biggest thing to take away from this is this:

Unfortunately, we might have to, at some point, postpone the release of certain features, because we feel like they need some more balancing or further testing.

Changes to models and the blood are things people can get over but that I really don't like the sound of. Frogster really don't have a good reputation in the MMO space. How bad are the model changes anyway? I've only played the KR version and seen videos/streams of the EU version.

aett

What's the difference between a CT and an OT?

(Edit: I'm guessing Community Thread.)

Also, if the breast sizes have been reduced since the early days of K-TERA, just how massive were they that it prompted a change? O_O

Slacker

Also, if the breast sizes have been reduced since the early days of K-TERA, just how massive were they that it prompted a change? O_O

Exactly what I was going to ask. If what we see is reduced they must have been Dolly Parton size before.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

TERA_ScreenShot_20120420_222155.png

That big. :3

aett

That big. :3

I'm honestly not seeing much of a difference. Weird.

I'd say the current breast sizes in TERA are about the maximum I would ever want in a game without feeling like a creep playing it around my wife/son/etc. My wife is really cool about this sort of thing (especially after her pregnancy...), but I don't want to feel pervy.

Izayoi

Banned
My super sick guide to having money coming out of your ears:

1.) Don't enchant while leveling up.
2.) Don't craft while leveling up.
3.) Sell everything. Someone is willing to buy it, even if that someone is a vendor.
4.) ROLL IN THE DOSH

1. NPC/PC collision.
-->All too many times and all too easy is it to be caught on each other, or on the boss' legs and so forth. You wanted to use a skill, but some jerkoff ended up running in the way at the last second. Maybe you're trying to get away from a boss, but you're caught between another player and the boss' legs and you literally can't move out of the way of a swipe. This doesn't add to any sort of difficulty, nor does taking it away make the game easier. It simply makes it less frustrating, and allows the combat to remain in its current fluid state.
Personally, I think that it does add to the game. It makes you think about pulls and boss fights in ways that other games wouldn't make you. You can get lost and trapped in large crowds of mobs if you're not careful, you have to coordinate with other melee DPS and tanks in order to facilitate movement, as well as removing the whole concept of the "DPS ball", which is only a good thing in my eyes.

-->The current state allows people to grief, you can quite literally make a horse wall in front of doors or bridges and people can't get past you. This is kind of unacceptable and again frustrating for obvious reasons. Sure it's funny, but I'd rather do without it.
Cities don't have player collision and everywhere else has channels. I don't think it's too big an issue.

5. Other
-->Velika outskirts is empty. There's a manor there, a dock, a bridge.....and nothing else. No mobs, no npcs, nothing. It's barren. Why?
I imagine, that like many areas which already have everything modeled and textured (Baldera, for one), it's just waiting to get the blessing of the scenario team. I imagine it will get fleshed out at the same time the Velika Wilds (directly east of Velika itself) go live.

-->While I love the combat, I feel there's way too many kill quests and not enough "fun quests". Fun quests is something like, using the bomb to blow stuff up, beating the waves of monsters in a timed match, having to solo a BAM (that doesn't have cheap attacks unlike the naga juggs), maybe get turned into something and have to do something atypical? Anything that is different than the norm is welcome. Maybe a jumping puzzle? Some floor platforms you have to spin? Literally anything..
That gets a little better later on, especially post-50. There are lots of platforming puzzles hidden throughout the game as well. They serve no real purpose, but they're fun to just mess around with.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Isn't there a patch that lets you replace the textures so you can bring back the areolas? I saw something like that in a TERA /vg/ thread.

Yeah it's a file replacement, the guy has all the original files so they work with current versions of tera. Elfs, Humans, Elin, Castanics all revert back to normal textures and such

TGMIII

Yeah it's a file replacement, the guy has all the original files so they work with current versions of tera. Elfs, Humans, Elin, Castanics all revert back to normal textures and such

I wonder how well it'll work with updated versions of the EU/US game when they eventually get content patches. Surely with the Elin getting further changes the KR texture/model files won't work right?

I did see people using the JP voices though which is nice if you don't like the sound of the EU voices.

Izayoi

Banned
I wonder how well it'll work with updated versions of the EU/US game when they eventually get content patches. Surely with the Elin getting further changes the KR texture/model files won't work right?

I did see people using the JP voices though which is nice if you don't like the sound of the EU voices.
It all works with the current version of the game, which, at least for the US, is the same as the Korean one. The way Unreal Engine works, I imagine that it will work indefinitely.

Napophis

So, a few things.

2. UI disappears on movement
--> Currently, you can't have your ui open and move at the same time. You can move in one direction but that's it, once you change it all disappears. This is kind of frustrating when you're auto running to a destination and trying to do something and the windows disappear. You either have to stop, do whatever you're doing, then move, or keep popping open the windows while readjusting your destination. Really, while moving the windows should just go transparent and stay as they are.

There's an option in the UI settings to fix that. You'll be able to move and use the cursor but you won't have access to the camera and basically pressing alt to bring the cursor up becomes a toggle, where you'll have to press alt again to get rid of the cursor.

2San

This is hilarious, I already felt like a huge perv playing the censored version. Live strong S.Korea!
It all works with the current version of the game, which, at least for the US, is the same as the Korean one. The way Unreal Engine works, I imagine that it will work indefinitely.
Wondering what Enmasse/Frogesters policy is on this. Hope they turn a blind eye to this stuff(though I wont use it myself).

This is hilarious, I already felt like a huge perv playing the censored version. Live strong S.Korea!

Wondering what Enmasse/Frogesters policy is on this. Hope they turn a blind eye to this stuff(though I wont use it myself).

They'll probably treat it the same way Blizzard treated it. Say "don't do it" but turn a blind eye and not care.

TGMIII

Frogster have already said that they can't do anything to anyone who changes the files but they can't provide support if you have issues with the game after changing the files.

Despite the problems Frogster have had from day 1 and how they seem to want to change anything they want and the fact that they're willing to hold back content without explanation I'm still so tempted to get this but I'm going to try and hold out for a month or two to see how things go.

2San

Frogster have already said that they can't do anything to anyone who changes the files but they can't provide support if you have issues with the game after changing the files.

Despite the problems Frogster have had from day 1 and how they seem to want to change anything they want and the fact that they're willing to hold back content without explanation I'm still so tempted to get this but I'm going to try and hold out for a month or two to see how things go.
I'm skeptical here as well. I already bought it though, the core game is just too good to pass up.

Rinoa

Anyone have before/after of Elf boobs or castanic? Doesn't seem much a difference...

My super sick guide to having money coming out of your ears:

1.) Don't enchant while leveling up.
2.) Don't craft while leveling up.
3.) Sell everything. Someone is willing to buy it, even if that someone is a vendor.
4.) ROLL IN THE DOSH

I been selling to NPC cause faster, guess should sell my old eq on the broker?

Why does GW2 beta have to go up the same weekend as prelaunch? the fuck is this shit ;(

NCsoft are douchebags who are still sore about how their Lineage team left to found Bluehole. They've been astroturfing GW2 vs. Tera since almost the beginning trying to turn players of both games against each other while marketing GW2 exactly when Tera is launching to try and kill it.

TGMIII

I'm skeptical here as well. I already bought it though, the core game is just too good to pass up.

I'm just not willing to hand over money until they show me that they can provide a constantly good service and keep on par with the other versions. Their recent "letter to the community" doesn't win me over at all. They really aren't transparent enough with the user base, all of the information is just slowly dripped out while shitstorms happen on their forums. The note about changing or holding back content in patches REALLY worries me.

Their customer service has been hit and miss too. I couldn't enter one of the CBT events due to the fact that my pre-order key was invalid. After searching forever to find somewhere on the frogster site to fill in a ticket it turned out that I had to go to another address that wasn't linked anywhere on the Tera EU site or on frogsters site, the only reason I got it was because someone else with the same issue got it from incorrectly emailing the wrong section who then linked him. After I explained that my key was invalid they closed my ticket the next day saying that it was valid and had been redeemed and that I needed to check my login info. Obviously my login info was correct and I missed out, so before the next CBT event I sent in another ticket and was told the same thing but it took for me to reply to them again and have a completely different support rep to understand the situation and activate my account.

3 of my friends pre-ordered the day pre-orders went live and didn't get their keys emailed to them because their mail system failed. It took another 3 weeks for two of them to get their keys and it took the last to threaten them with a refund to finally get someone to get his key to him. It's a shame because I think the game is good and I really hope it is a success in both the US & EU but frogster are really a huge shit stain on an otherwise great game. Those 3 are also skipping the game, at least for the first few months, due to the issues they had.

2San

I'm just not (...) otherwise great game.
Oh no need to explain. I think everyone can do what they want with their money, especially if the service provider or product is sketchy.

The old me would just go for the US version and not bother with the Euro one, but in my experience the increase in lag even in traditional MMO's just kill the experience. I figure this is especially the case with an action oriented game as TERA.

At least the game is 30 euro.
NCsoft are douchebags who are still sore about how their Lineage team left to found Bluehole. They've been astroturfing GW2 vs. Tera since almost the beginning trying to turn players of both games against each other while marketing GW2 exactly when Tera is launching to try and kill it.
NCsoft would've been in a magical position if they still had Tera which of course would be branded as Lineage III. They'd have a pretty decent shot at dominating both the West and East.

NeOak

Any info as to why they left?

Rinoa

Castanic and high elf hands is a stylistic thing to differentiate them further from humans I guess. Ever notice they contort/overextend quite a lot in this game? Kinda adds to the non-human nature.

2San

Any info as to why they left?
From what I remember something about the teamleader having a "lack of leadership" and getting fired, but the kicker is that the majority of the team followed the teamleader. At least that's what I remember from back in the day(when it was still Lineage III). This thread seems to mention the teamleader asking for raise and getting denied that.

Top Bottom