• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Pay
Regular fixes, updates and new stuff

Free
'When its done' fixes, paid for updates and new stuff

I believe the term with the cool kids is: shut up and take my money!!

I may sound like an elitist jerk here but it's possible that the free to play model attracts an uncommitted type of player that has no qualms in being a shithead to a community they have no stake in.

During CBT and OBT I felt that once the game launched, the invested players would remain and make the game that much more enjoyable. I dunno, I could be wrong.

Dizzy-4U

Good morning gaf! Is it saturday yet?

If you are a ranged/healer I would suggest forgetting about controller support.
I agree with this. My problem with the controller is that it doesn't appear to have any auto-aim at all so it's pretty hard for me to select different targets when healing.

Visceir

Can someone tell me if there was another patch released between open beta and the upcoming headstart? My client isn't downloading any patches but it wouldn't really surprise me if it was fucked up somehow again...I wouldn't want to end up being stuck downloading a patch for several hours while everyone else is playing :(

I have a buddy code you can have. It's good for the US open beta this weekend.

PS: Check your inbox.

There is no US open beta this weekend, is there? There's just the early access thing for people who preordered.

Also, is there a levelling zone guide anywhere? I remember getting to level 26 or so and had pretty much finished Arcadia (The zone with Lumbertown and the most recent place was celestial hills). My campaign quests said to go to Poporia(sp?) but i noticed the mobs were a bit high..especially when i was a bit ahead of the curve before I got there..

I was lvl 23 when I went to Popolitan and lvl 26 when I first entered SM. You'll be fine.

LordAlu

I posted in the other Tera thread...but is anyone else having a problem with the buddy codes?

When I login to the launcher to download the game, it says Trial but that I have insufficient privileges. Is the head-start weekend download not up for Trial members or anything yet? I didn't pre-order or anything--was just gonna try out the weekend to see if it was any good.
For me (UK), the headstart is at 3PM tomorrow. You can login now and create one character so you're to go when the headstart begins.

Kaspanova

Neo Member
So does that mean GW2 is doomed?

I don't know? Is this your first mmo by the way?

I may sound like an elitist jerk here but it's possible that the free to play model attracts an uncommitted type of player that has no qualms in being a shithead to a community they have no stake in.

I totally agree, you also get trollkids. Main reason I don't really invest time in F2P

But on subbed, you get the expectant jerk. I'm paying for this shit, fix it now or I'm cancelling!!

Double edged

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The reason they went F2P was because they sucked so much no one wanted to pay a sub fee for them.

For a game to be F2P it would have to:
1) Be designed from the ground up as F2P. And given the amount of work that went into TERA compared to your typical F2P fare (Maple Story, Vindictus, Dragon's Nest), we can safely say that it's off the table unless absolutely necessary
2) Be such a financial disaster that F2P is the only way to salvage it

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So if I finalize my pre-order, do I get some early-access keys to give out? My friend wants to try it and I was going to try and fire him one, but I don't know where they're coming from!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You get the same thing on F2P.

"I'm paying your wages LISTEN TO ME HEY LISTEN"

Vesper73

Hopefully we'll get an option to add more realtime shadows. The game already runs so well, that it would be a shame if we weren't able to get realtime shadows on more objects than just the characters.

Either way, the game looks amazing! Anyone seen that vampire instance? Too cool!

KePoW

Banned
I play with a 360 controller on my Slayer.

There is some good and there is some bad.

Main bad being that the controller emulates kb/m controls. The left analog emulates WASD and the right analog emulates mouse.
The WASD emulation is bad and movement can be a bit awkward. The mouse emulation is really bad and navigating menus is impossible on a controller.

If you are a melee I would suggest trying out a controller(make sure you spend the time to change the buttons, the default layout is ass).

If you are a ranged/healer I would suggest forgetting about controller support.

So what exactly is the "good"?

Peterthumpa

So, I have never, ever, played a MMO before sorely because I'm a graphics whore but this one looks rather interesting...

Are there in-game tutorials to guide me though everything? I don't know jack shit about MMOs, the most similar thing I've played is Final Fantasy XIII, LOL.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So, I have never, ever, played a MMO before sorely because I'm a graphics whore but this one looks rather interesting...

Are there in-game tutorials to guide me though everything? I don't know jack shit about MMOs, the most similar thing I've played is Final Fantasy XIII, LOL.

Truth be told, the game doesn't do that great of a job with things....But very few MMO's do, haha. I'm sure everyone here would be MORE than happy to help you out in terms of understanding how really ANYTHING works in game. :)

As part of your pre-order perks, you can start playing TERA before everyone else as part of TERA's Head Start event, starting April 28 at 12:00 PM PDT! The Head Start event will lead directly into launch on May 1.

Everyone knows that MMOs are more fun with friends, so we're letting you bring along three friends on your head start journey. With the codes below, not only will your friends be able to try out TERA all weekend for free, but they can also carry over their characters to the full version of TERA should they choose to buy it!

Head Start Access
Saturday, April 28 @ 12:00 PM PDT until Monday, April 30 @ 11:59 PM PDT

To start your TERA adventure:
1. Use the “Enter Code” feature on the Account Overview page to redeem your Head Start access code.
2. Download TERA from the Account Overview page and install.
3. Play TERA!

I have three codes available. Quote to see: - GONE!

Z3M0G

Come on Saturday!

I can't remember the last time I was so excited to play a game I already tried in Beta... And it has definitely been forever since I was so excited to play an MMO style game! FFXIV I suppose... but this game may make me not be able to look back to FFXIV, even post 2.0.

Babalu.

Finally after months and months and months I can make a character that wont be deleted. Finally I can really get into this game after K-tera and endless closed beta's.

Mithos

Why are you so important that they have to do this for you?

Not saying I'm important, but I'm someone who will not pay to play their game because of the outdated way to pay for it.

Sell me hours to be used when I have time for it that do not expire if I decide to skip playing a day or two.

Kaspanova

Neo Member
UK head start is in 19hours. Just so happens, I won't be playing the mo it goes live. Just so happens, I'll be working. fml

YES IM COUNTING HOURS DON'T JUDGE ME

KePoW

Banned
This may be a stupid question... but what is the purpose of Chaining skills?

I only got to level 6 in the open beta, but a chained skill didn't seem to do any more damage than just using it normally.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I only got to level 6 in the open beta, but a chained skill didn't seem to do any more damage than just using it normally.

Some skills gain haste when used in a chain and some skills charge twice as fast.

Yeah I'm trying to resist since I'm not sure I really have the time/money to dedicate to an MMO, but I might have to bite the bullet on this one. I only had a chance to run through the prologue in the last OB but the combat is exactly what I'm looking for in an MMO. I have a buddy code for this weekend and I'm really looking forward to getting deeper in to it since I have little experience with MMOs in general.

Sell me hours to be used when I have time for it that do not expire if I decide to skip playing a day or two.
I'll say that if this was the payment method, I'd be in 100% right now. Half of the reason I hesitate going all in on an MMO is knowing I probably won't get my $15 worth of playtime a month.

There are glyphs you learn (lvl 20) but most are to reduce MP, time or something. don't think or have seen anything that deals extra damage when you use certain skills after one.

Top Bottom