• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrace House Aloha State on Netflix |OT| Sea, no Sex, and Sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Does Netflix release any show piecemeal like that? I would imagine that that would disrupt their binge model, which is probably important for their monetization somehow.

in Europe they release a bunch, its becoming a very welcome trend since that means I get some american tv shows "live" (1 day after), like the CW stuff (Crazy Ex, Riverdale), Designated Survivor, The Blacklist and some others, which otherwise I wouldnt have access to unless it was via...shady means.

Wiseblade

The first couple episodes feel a little weird compared to B&G in the City. Maybe my expectations have been warped by Uchi's constant shenanigans and the Rikopin Special, but it feels a little pedestrian.

Snagret

The first couple episodes feel a little weird compared to B&G in the City. Maybe my expectations have been warped by Uchi's constant shenanigans and the Rikopin Special, but it feels a little pedestrian.
I think a lot of it has to do with the chemistry of the initial batch of housemates. Their personalities just aren't really bouncing off each other in any interesting ways. They're all very passive and don't really seem that interested in dating each other. Even the platonic friendships don't really seem that strong.

Spoilers if you haven't seen all eight episodes:
It's a good thing Naomi is leaving. I think the thing this season needs most is a cast shakeup, and the love triangle between Yuya, Avian, and Naomi is just NOT interesting. They need more extroverts in the house.

Blablurn

and what have with the ugly dude shaming the the 18 year old guitar dude for no having sex yet? goddamn. talking like a big man, while barely weighing 50kgs probably

Blablurn

Just finished episode 8

ouuuuuch, poor yusuke. i mean it was obvious, but still.

it's crazy that despite being both 18, lauren seems way older (and experienced).

eot

Banned
I'm on episode three of this, and one of the presenters (the cute girl) looks just like (almost) a girl I met in Vienna. Looked her up, she's from Vienna. Well, it's not the same person but it was weird.

Barista and baseball guy > all

Tap dancer = wtf are you doing?

Daigoro

yeah, they screwed up with the initial cast in this season. they are a collective bore. the best ep was when they brought in that crazy girl from S1 (wish they would put that up on Netflix).

still gonna keep watching. still strangely addicted, but the cast needs some more interesting folks in it. the hosts are still the best thing about this show.

I hope this season gets double extended like last years. And hopefully another hot bum stays for almost the entire run.

lol @ hot bum

Blew through the city season and the first 8 episodes of this pretty fast. I'm liking AS but it feels like a different show to me. The casting and the sensibilities of the cast all just seems so different that the show itself has a different feel about it.

The first season I was sad anytime someone would be leaving but 8 episodes in and I'm ready for some people to start leaving.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Has there been any word on when Part 2 would release in the US?

probably same as previous seasons. per subreddit

There has been no official announcement of any specific date when Part 2 of Aloha State will be available worldwide. Part 2 episodes are currently releasing mostly weekly on Netflix Japan. Outside of Japan, Terrace House episodes have been released sometime after an entire part is completed.

Aloha State Part 2 will highly likely follow the same release pattern as all other parts so far, so sometime after all the episodes are released in Japan, part 2 will be made available in its entirety worldwide.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Blew through the city season and the first 8 episodes of this pretty fast. I'm liking AS but it feels like a different show to me. The casting and the sensibilities of the cast all just seems so different that the show itself has a different feel about it.

The first season I was sad anytime someone would be leaving but 8 episodes in and I'm ready for some people to start leaving.
Completely agree. The initial cast's chemistry was terrible. The show got instantly better after it started changing.

Frologic

probably because a lot of these people on the show seem more western than japanese

Whenever they talk in English, it instantly takes me out of the show. It just feels off and quickly reminds me that I'm watching a melodramatic reality show. At least with the Japanese, I can pretend that I'm cultured and watching a smart show. Seriously though, Boys and Girls in the City is so much better

Kurita

Man I thought Boys and Girls in the City was peak Terrace House but over the past few weeks I've watched Boys and Girls Next Door (the first season, before In The City), and fuuuuuuuck it's even better. They need to put it on international Netflix someday cause I want everybody to experience it lol (actually it's not even in full on Japanese Netflix, it starts at episode 51, the first half is only on FujiTV's online service)
I laughed at Arman for staying an eternity, but that season actually has Tetsu, who literally stayed from day 1 until the end hahaha, so like more than 2 years.

Hoping the first episode of part 2 starts with a max exodus of about half the cast. Naomi and both guys not names Yusuke can go if it was up to me.

It's weird, with Boys and Girls in the city I dreaded anyone leaving, but pretty much since the first episode of Aloha I've been begging for people to leave.

Jakoo

Hoping the first episode of part 2 starts with a max exodus of about half the cast. Naomi and both guys not names Yusuke can go if it was up to me.

It's weird, with Boys and Girls in the city I dreaded anyone leaving, but pretty much since the first episode of Aloha I've been begging for people to leave.

I absolutely agree--the cast is already way too settled with one another and none of them seem all that interested in one another. They need some big personalities to come things and shake things up.

profile10.jpg

Rahk

Part 2 is an improvement so keep watching, although it's still no Boys & Girls. Currently on Part 3 in Japan.

Also, didn't see it mentioned here but it has been extended from 24 to 36 episodes total.

I absolutely agree--the cast is already way too settled with one another and none of them seem all that interested in one another. They need some big personalities to come things and shake things up.

profile10.jpg

Why do the hot ones always have to start shit all the time?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Once the cast starts changing it gets more interesting and once 3-4 people are new, I felt on the same level as the good parts of the previous series.

Part 2 is WAY better than 1. I think the big difference in why 1 was lame was too many young people. It's okay with a single 18 year old for crazy drama like Rinko from B&GS, but having multiple people who have no dating/life experiences creates a very boring show

hampig

Been slowly watching Boys and Girls in the City, I think I'm very close to around 20 episodes in and I have a question for those of you who may be more in the know. What's been going on with Tap since he left? He was one of my favorites during his time on the show but he was constantly getting his heart broken. I want to hear that he went on to get married and become rich and famous.

I'm glad that this series is getting attention, it's such a fun easy watch, and it's so fascinating to see the difference in culture. Even if I had to endure watching Yuriko, I still enjoyed it since episode 1 and definitely look forward to more.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Been slowly watching Boys and Girls in the City, I think I'm very close to around 20 episodes in and I have a question for those of you who may be more in the know. What's been going on with Tap since he left? He was one of my favorites during his time on the show but he was constantly getting his heart broken. I want to hear that he went on to get married and become rich and famous.

I'm glad that this series is getting attention, it's such a fun easy watch, and it's so fascinating to see the difference in culture. Even if I had to endure watching Yuriko, I still enjoyed it since episode 1 and definitely look forward to more.

Most of these people are on social media so I guess you could get a glimpse into their lives that way.

https://www.instagram.com/yuki_adachi_tap/?hl=en

A post-mortem like some do with reality shows would be cool...but it actually hasn't been that long since the show ended.

4 episodes in, so far I'm not sure of Anna, but I really like the new guy. Him crying when Eric was leaving was sweet and hilarious.

I swear the comedic guy of the commentators, the one on the floor to the right, has all of my exact thoughts. He was getting tired of Lauren, and then he started clowning on Eric for his pop up and asking when it was going to be done.

Eric and his pop up may be the funniest thing from this season for me. How many damn times was he shown staring at his laptop and those plans and then it's basically four stand alone walls and a table. That shit took way too long for what seems like basically a lemonade stand.

Kurita

Not spoiling anything but Japan is up to part 3 and it gets better. Still, a very weak season compared to Boys & Girls in the City and Boys & Girls Next Door.
I have a feeling Taishi will become a memorable member though lol

A post-mortem like some do with reality shows would be cool...but it actually hasn't been that long since the show ended.

I haven't watched them but they actually did some video interviews of old members. I think it's on their Facebook or Youtube.

Daigoro

Not spoiling anything but Japan is up to part 3 and it gets better. Still, a very weak season compared to Boys & Girls in the City and Boys & Girls Next Door.
I have a feeling Taishi will become a memorable member though lol

glad to hear it. part 2 is a step up so im glad the trend continues. that one ep when Taishi is watching Boys & Girls in the City made me long for the drama that that season had in comparison to Aloha State for sure.

Kurita

glad to hear it. part 2 is a step up so im glad the trend continues. that one ep when Taishi is watching Boys & Girls in the City made me long for the drama that that season had in comparison to Aloha State for sure.

Really at this point I just want Evian and Yuya to go away, it has potential if strong characters join the house. These two are nice people but *yaaaaawn*

4 episodes in, so far I'm not sure of Anna, but I really like the new guy. Him crying when Eric was leaving was sweet and hilarious.
My thing with him is that he's a professional actor, so how do we know his emotions are authentic?

Also, I think it's super sad that he studies Iaido because he gets typecast for being Japanese.

My thing with him is that he's a professional actor, so how do we know his emotions are authentic?

Also, I think it's super sad that he studies Iaido because he gets typecast for being Japanese.

I dunno, he didn't really strike me as putting on an act. From the moment he came in he seems really genuine and nice. I mean it could all be an act to get exposure, but it didn't come off that way with me.

These fuckers and their perfect endings make it really damn hard to restrain from just binging the whole 8 episodes.

Episode 5 and 6 were some times hard to watch for a whole multitude of reasons.

Mairu

I caved and found a VPN that worked with Netflix so I could watch the episodes on release and caught up. I don't get the feeling his emotions are manufactured - some of the time he's a bit overly emotional and it has worked against him (at least in the eyes of the hosts!) so I don't know that it's for his benefit.

Once the initial Aloha State cast started leaving the show got a lot more interesting.

It'd be really cool if we could get the original seasons of Terrace House (and the movie!) subtitled.

Rahk

I dunno, he didn't really strike me as putting on an act. From the moment he came in he seems really genuine and nice. I mean it could all be an act to get exposure, but it didn't come off that way with me.
Keep watching. He seems to just be highly sensitive and it doesn't appear to be an act at all.

Really at this point I just want Evian and Yuya to go away, it has potential if strong characters join the house. These two are nice people but *yaaaaawn*
Agreed. Thought Evian might clash with Anna at some point, but nothing has happened. Now they aren't really bringing anything interesting to the show.

Also, I really dislike Anna and don't know why
Taishi
is interested in her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom