• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack: Driver runs over Muslim pedestrians leaving Mosque in London

Sky News are still calling it an " Incident" the crowd in the Interview are calling a terrorist attack and the Interviewer is getting agitated.

Multiple people are saying it was 3 people and 2 managed to run away but they held one of them

LNBL

Sky News are still calling it an " Incident" the crowd in the Interview are calling a terrorist attack and the Interviewer is getting agitated.

Multiple people are saying it was 3 people and 2 managed to run away but they held one of them

There's one guy shouting all the time, looks like someone came at the end to calm him down

What the fuck.

My heart goes out to the victims of this awful terrorist attack.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...USKBN19A05V?mod=related&channelName=worldNews

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I think we all know that someone driving a van into a crowd is a terrorist attack. It is designed to cause terror across a wide swathe of innocent civilians chosen at random.

But I think we all know that the media and govt are loathe to call attacks terrorist where they are not committed by their bete noir of the day.

Government discourse on terrorism relies in the concepts of alien outsiders. It is used to harden the majority against perceived outside threats. Media abd Govt freak out when white people from the majority commit these things, because it fucks up their narratives of fear, and (in the case of rags like the Mail) creates empathy for groups they are trying to demonise or portray as different.

BriGuy

Crazy how this thread is only three pages...

Are you tallying some kind of perverse points system or something?

I hate this shit. I hate that this is just going to promote a misguided cycle of "revenge" that's going to cause more innocent people to suffer. I hate sending and reading about "thoughts and prayers" because that doesn't fix anything. And hate that that's ultimately the only thing I can do.

Audioboxer

The UK news changes over to suspected terror attack once the police state that. Same thing happened for the last few attacks. It takes for the police to say it.

It usually goes incident -> suspected terror attack -> terror attack. It can sometimes take a few hours for the police to make a statement. People shouldn't get agitated at them just yet.

When the London Bridge Attack happened it took 1 hour for it to get to 7 pages ... its taken almost 2 and a half for this one to reach 7.

It's nearly 4am in the UK right now... Keep that in mind.

When the London Bridge Attack happened it took 1 hour for it to get to 7 pages ... its taken almost 2 and a half for this one to reach 7.

And the thread was first called something neutral like "Attack in london".
I know it's how it's works, and i should be used to it.

Most people don't empathize when minorities get killed because they don't picture themselves, their families and closes into it. It's just sad and that it.

It's funny to see people trying to find some kind of alternative explication though. I wonder if they believe in it themselves.

jm89

If there are multiple suspects I expect all of them to have some sort of mental illness.

I've seen terror attacks threads start off slow before with little info and those smaller incidents where one muslim guy attacks police officer get just three pages or less.

St Petersburg suicide bomb got four pages over two days and was known to be an explosion from the start. 10 people died.

People are being very disingenuous expecting this thread to explode with scant news of some injuries through a van hitting pedestrians.

I've seen terror attacks threads start off slow before with little info and those smaller incidents where one muslim guy attacks police officer get just three pages or less.

St Petersburg suicide bomb got four pages over two days and was known to be an explosion from the start. 10 people died.

People are being very disingenuous expecting this thread to explode with scant news of some injuries through a van hitting pedestrians.

St Petersburg was in Russia, compare it with similar event occurring in UK. (it was called a terrorist incident in a very short span of time and all world news was focused on this all day)

Audioboxer

That's not how it went down with any of the recent attacks.

Yes it is. I was awake during the Manchester one. Started off as an incident hence why there was pages of talk about other causes. Only once the police changed to suspected terror attack did it sink in it was likely a bomb. US media is awful and were leaking British forces info but our police remained patient until they wanted to release the info.

When ISIS claimed responsibility for an attack in Iran that killed at least 12, a place that has had less of these attacks than France, there was barely any news coverage and the GAF thread didn't even make it to 5 pages.

Just saying that there are certain trends.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Westerners retaliating on innocent Muslims is just what ISIS wants. These western terrorists are traitors.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Stuff like "let's not jump to conclusions" or "maybe it's an accident" or "maybe he's just drunk" and similar things apparently only used if the victims are Muslims or brown people or not-white.

Tristam

Stuff like "let's not jump to conclusions" or "maybe it's an accident" or "maybe he's just drunk" and similar things apparently only used if the victims are Muslims or brown people or not-white.

I think some Gaffers are saying these things sarcastically, but you're absolutely right.

A terrorist attack as revenge against terrorist attacks you have to a special kind of insane, but I assume the culprits of this attack are as insane as the culprits they believe they are going against when they are actually hurting and killing innocents and raising tensions.

When ISIS claimed responsibility for an attack in Iran that killed at least 12, a place that has had less of these attacks than France, there was barely any news coverage and the GAF thread didn't even make it to 5 pages.

Just saying that there are certain trends.

I'm guilty of assuming Iran was subject to attacks more often like Afghanistan until I saw that attacks coverage on the news.

Haines

Banned
Regarding the thread being slow. It seemed like the dude was caught and things were stabalized. Wasnt much news to find when i looked.

So maybe the media isnt saying much so its harder to talk about,

GHG

Gold Member
This is shocking news to wake up to, yet again. RIP to all the victims.

I don't know how, but the UK really needs to get the situation under control as soon as possible, if not it could end up being a horrible situation where there is all out street war taking place.

LNBL

It has been going on for a long time. There is almost a grotesque anticipation for an incident fitting their personal politics.

We can at least take solace in that no one died (Yet).

I'm not sure whether i should take your post serious, but wtf? Should I ask who you mean by "their" or just assume you mean the posters in this topic?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Now we have terrorism vs. terrorism.

The fuck is the goal here? Mutual annihilation?
ISIS wanted a clash of civilizations.

A bunch of knuckle-dragging losers are willing to rise to their challenge and give it to them.

Top Bottom