• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack: Driver runs over Muslim pedestrians leaving Mosque in London

Syder

Because it's the middle of the night and they can't confirm anything besides a police statement. Sorry that standard journolistic practices don't live up to your need for constant unconfirmed updates every 5 seconds.
Lol, what universe do you live in?

We're in the 24 hour news cycle now.

The Manchester bombing and London Bridge attack happened late into the night and BBC and Sky had coverage into the next morning. They didn't talk about anything else.

I was thinking of myself and my family.

It was poor comment on my part and I should not have made it. I realize it was wildly insensitive
If it makes you feel any better statistically speaking you have basically no chance of being involved in a terrorist incident. 8 million+ people in London. Less than 100 effected.

Bbc is pants overnight, lots of pre recorded shows and international broadcasts, probably taking time to get set up
Must not have aircon at the BBC.

Betty

Banned
If it makes you feel any better statistically speaking you have basically almost no chance of being involved in a terrorist incident. 8 million+ people in London. Less than 100 effected.

Fixed.

If this is another terrorist attack then things don't seem to be slowing down any time soon.

Dopus

Banned
Lol, what universe do you live in?

We're in the 24 hour news cycle now.

The Manchester bombing and London Bridge attack happened late into the night and BBC and Sky had coverage into the next morning. They didn't talk about anything else.

Sky is covering it. The BBC had a couple of updates the last hour or so in line with Police statements.

No when a incident like this happens they will say it's a major incident.
The London Bridge stabbings they said a incident until the police confirmed.
That isn't my recollection, at all

When those attacks happened they dropped everything else on their networks to report the story, with whatever little facts they had.

I'll just say it straight - Muslim people being attacked isn't worthy of the same interest as white people getting attacked. It doesn't fit the broader media narrative.

When those attacks happened they dropped everything else on their networks to report the story, with whatever little facts they had.

I'll just say it straight - Muslim people being attacked isn't worthy of the same interest as white people getting attacked. It doesn't fit the broader media narrative.

It's 2 in the fucking morning. On a Sunday.

Sheentak

I watched sky as it happened, they played the same videos on a loop saying major incident.

Anyway sky is covering this live right now so your point is moot.

Betty

Banned
0.001% chance of terrorist attack hitting you is pretty solid odds of making it through a London holiday safely.

Yeah but that's still a chance, not really right to say there's no chance.

And again, if this is a terrorist attack or not there's probably going to be more.

Bold One

Pretty much

EmiPrime

And again, if this is a terrorist attack or not there's probably going to be more.

Yes in the same way there's a chance of me winning the lottery.

Get a grip.

It's 2 in the fucking morning. On a Sunday.

I watched sky as it happened, they played the same videos on a loop saying major incident.

Anyway sky is covering this live right now so your point is moot.

To be clear - I'm not saying they said "it's a terrorist incident" until the police used those words. However they were speaking to multiple people trying to get as much information as possible...and much of it was speculative. They broke off from their regular reporting.

I watched sky news 1am - 2am just now. They spent a fair bit of that hour running their regular reports from the day.

That's just my view. The media doesn't value all lives or incidents the same. This'll probably be the latest example.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy fuck .. who the hell is this retired CIA fart spouting nonsense on Fox right now ?

Beefy

And? You can't live your life in fear. Far more likely to cross a road and get hit by a car, maybe we all shouldn't cross roads?

-------------------------------

Sky have been better at reporting shit then BBC recently, that's how bad it's got.

Mifune

Mehmber

Barely a blip about this on my twitter feed here in the States. What you say is so sadly true.

antonz

Foxnews doing its best to ignore the details of this incident. "No one knows what the motives are or who is behind this attack yet. It could be radical islamists."

Betty

Banned
And? You can't live your life in fear. Far more likely to cross a road and get hit by a car, maybe we all shouldn't cross roads?

Who said live in fear?

I just think saying there's zero chance of being in an attack in a major city was wrong, statistically sure it's next to zero, but not impossible.

Hopefully no one was seriously hurt during this incident.

I'll just say it straight - Brown people being attacked isn't worthy of the same interest as white people getting attacked. It doesn't fit the broader media narrative.

Fixed for worldwide accuracy.

Who said live in fear?

I just think saying there's zero chance of being in an attack in a major city was wrong, statistically sure it's next to zero, but not impossible.

Hopefully no one was seriously hurt during this incident.
I said basically no chance that doesn't mean impossible. 0.001% is greater than 0. I think we've covered all angles of this.

That's just my view. The media doesn't value all lives or incidents the same.

100% Agree.

But there are differences here from say Manchester.

It was earlier, confused, developing over time etc.
(Christ the idiotic balloon speculation...)

This is less complex. Its finished and there's little material to show. The only thing to speculate on is the reason why (Targeting muslims? drunk? white Isis convert?) And the victim numbers.

But now they are back on it.

Dopus

Banned
Your definition of decent is different than mine

They interviewed two people, one at the scene and one local resident. Right now they're back on the story interviewing someone else. Yes, it's true they're not solely covering this story but compared with the BBC coverage right now, it's night and day. The other story they were focusing on is the ongoing incident in Mali and then going through headlines inbetween. The majority of the time has been focused on this story.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Turn on fox and some dude is raving about Political correctness

Yeah, and the anchor continuously bringing up the attacks 3 weeks ago and going into detail about those attacks instead of focusing on what's going on right now.

They're not even TRYING to mask their agendas.

DBT85

Witness on Sky news saying he heard 10 injured and 1 Somali woman killed :(

He's only saying what he's been told by other people that are there, which may or may not have come from actual witnesses. He wasn't a witness to the attack, only the aftermath.

This is the issue with trying to report on things like this. They broke in to the story they were doing to go to this call and it was evident after about 15 seconds that they thought he was a witness to the attack but actually wasn't.

Hopefully we've not had any fatalities. The police and ambulance statements thus far just say casualties.

Tovarisc

One ought not to jump to conclusions.

Too late for that.

Edit:
DCpfr9OWAAIV9Mi.jpg

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/876618289102934016

Dopus

Banned
The man being interviewed said that there were three people in the van, two ran away and one was apprehended. It sounds as though he didn't see the incident however.

LNBL

Man if the story about the citizen's arrest is true, much respect to those people for restraining themselves and not fucking him up

Tovarisc

So a Terrorist attack right?

Based on what? Muslim Council statement? Even they are making assumption and stating it as fact that this was intentional act.

I wouldn't call any "intentional attack" or "terrorism" claims facts before police establishes this incident as something. Driver could have been drunk as skunk. Won't make this better, but calling this act of terrorism at that point would be reach.

We need facts, is my point.

Top Bottom