• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terry Crews on Doomfist, Battlefield 1 with Snoop Dogg, and building high-end PCs

Link to full interview.

Unless you've had your head buried under a protein shake for the last couple of decades, you'll know Terry Crews. You might know the Hollywood actor as Latrelle from the 2004 Wayans Brothers movie White Chicks, Julius from TV series Everybody Hates Chris, or Sergeant Jeffords from the hit comedy show Brooklyn Nine-Nine. If NFL football is your thing, you may remember him as a '90s linebacker for the LA Rams, San Diego Chargers or the Philadelphia Eagles—or perhaps you've enjoyed his humorous run of Old Spice commercials.

But if you like PC gaming, you're probably most aware of Crews' recent interest in our platform of choice, having built a high-end desktop from scratch with his son Issaiya last year. Despite speculation, Terry didn't take on the mantle of Doomfist in Overwatch, but his likeness will feature in Microsoft's incoming open world action adventure game Crackdown 3 later this year.

"Terry loves yogurt," is a line Crews' Brooklyn Nine-Nine character is often heard reciting. My question to him, though, is: why does Terry love PC gaming?

"It’s funny because when I went down to Blizzard and we were talking about possibilities I realised that I don’t wanna be the guy that hijacks a game, you know? The creators have a vision and I didn’t want to mess that up. I was not interested in trying to hijack the game, I let them know that whatever fitted in their programme I would love to do. When I saw that Doomfist was created, that they’d went with another guy, the whole thing, it’s actually quite perfect, it’s absolutely amazing. I can honestly say that they made a move that’s better for the game, which is what they’re about. I know people were upset but I’m not. "

What a cool guy.

GavinUK86

"It's funny because when I went down to Blizzard and we were talking about possibilities I realised that I don't wanna be the guy that hijacks a game, you know? The creators have a vision and I didn't want to mess that up. I was not interested in trying to hijack the game, I let them know that whatever fitted in their programme I would love to do. When I saw that Doomfist was created, that they'd went with another guy, the whole thing, it's actually quite perfect, it's absolutely amazing. I can honestly say that they made a move that's better for the game, which is what they're about. I know people were upset but I'm not. "

What a cool guy.

Terry is amazing.

It really is refreshing to see a dude who seems to legitimately be happy and excited about everything he does.

Good guy Terry. Never heard anyone say anything even remotely negative about the dude.

Shredderi

Terry is an absolutely fantastic person :) I'm still holding out hope for a character we don't know about voiced by Terry as a surprise.

Mariip

"If I ever do do anything with Blizzard, you watch: it’ll be perfect. With those guys, we’re all friends, we’re all good. I think there will be something coming down the line"
Please be Soundquake
But yeah Terry is awesome <3

Dehnus

If they ever make DLC for CD3? It should be like the Hotwheels expansion for FH3, but then working together with Old Spice as a brand and Terry Crews as a character :p as a playable character or the announcer. His character in Old Spice is enough over the top to fit in that kind of DLC :D.

"Hey AGENT! Get on ma biceps while I launch you into the action with a simple flex of ma muscle! Remember to smell fresh Agent, do bring me some of that body wash they have down there!"

Can be a lot cheaper as it's a product placement :p.

I love Terry Crews, he's so awesome and positive! This is an amazing interview!

I really like these two parts!

PC Gamer: Nowadays you’ve got not one but two high-end PCs. What does the future hold for Terry Crews and PC gaming?

Terry Crews: I have to take my own skills to the next level. One of my dreams is to actually create my own PCs for charity. A Terry Crews-built PC, we’d give it to kids, we’d give it to centers and people who’re not familiar with computing and we can open up that world for them. That’s something I plan on doing pretty soon—once I get much, much better. It won’t be so long next time!

This one is on the topic of working with Blizzard after he said he doesn't want to mess with the vision of the creators:

Terry Crews: If I ever do do anything with Blizzard, you watch: it’ll be perfect. With those guys, we’re all friends, we’re all good. I think there will be something coming down the line—but the good thing for me, through all of this, is that I ended up doing Microsoft’s Crackdown which is huge. I’m a playable character in Crackdown 3 which is more than I could ever have dreamed of. I couldn’t have been a playable character in Overwatch, they’d have simply put my voice in, but I went to the studio and I put on the sensors, and I’m in the game. Believe me, it tempers any kind of disappointment with Overwatch because I know now Crackdown 3 is my game. We announced it at E3 and I’m actually going back to appear at the panel at Comic Con. It’s a dream come true for me.

Terry is awesome, the way he is openly prepared to learn and get better as a person, the type of Feminist father he is for his daughters, it's just encouraging.

We need more like him, it's a recipe for a satisfying and happy life man.

He really didn't fit Doomfist as a character, and Im glad he respected that, and the dev team as well. Im sure he will be a character eventually, one that makes sense.

Burt

What I would do to get knocked out in PUBG and then hear Terry Crews taunt me as I lay there dying.

He's going to be on the panel as a guest at SDCC for CD3, that will be the surprise the devs have been hinting at over the last couple of weeks and shoots my prediction of them annoucning a 1X bundle into flames.

Defo going to tune in, he seems like a really genuine kinda guy.

Terry's bombastic personality doesn't fit with what they went for with Doomfist, the tactical genius who sounds like a West African warlord. If they went more supervillainy then sure, but I'm glad Terry understands that.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
This dude is fuckin legit wonderful.

How you get that crazy upbeat? Like i don't even manage that and ive never had struggles like this dude. And he paints like a motherfucker! I'd be jealous if he wasn't such a cool dude.

Crews for Pres. - Make Camacho Great Again

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Can't stand the guy but gained a little respect for him regarding Overwatch. Glad he didn't hijack the game (in his own words). Didn't want him near the game.

Can't stand the guy but gained a little respect for him regarding Overwatch. Glad he didn't hijack the game (in his own words). Didn't want him near the game.

avoid_photo.jpg

Camwi

Good guy Terry. Never heard anyone say anything even remotely negative about the dude.

I've seen one guy on GAF who would take any opportunity they could get to shit on the guy, but never really gave a good reason. Just bitter, I guess.

Hey, speak of the devil!

EDIT - Upon further research, I thought it was two different people, but it's just blly155.

Camells

How can somebody dislike my man Crews? He is such a nice and cool guy...
We need more people like him in this god forsaken place we call earth lmao

Camwi

How can somebody dislike my man Crews? He is such a nice and cool guy...
We need more people like him in this god forsaken place we call earth lmao

I'm pretty sure those people just hate life in general.

Dude is one of the most positive motherfuckers on the planet.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I could see how his intense screaming persona from commercials and stuff could really turn you off. But that's not the 'real' Terry Crews.

When he's not in that particular character, he's a fantastic dude.

Top Bottom