• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terry Crews building a gaming PC after finding Battlefield 1 fun

krang

The 1k PSU is complete overkill but Soundcard > onboard any day.

I'll admit I've been out of the rig-building scene for some time, but for some reason I got the impression that soundcards were a thing of the past, and that onboards were generally decent unless you cheaped out on the motherboard.

datsunzep

I'll admit I've been out of the rig-building scene for some time, but for some reason I got the impression that soundcards were a thing of the past, and that onboards were generally decent unless you cheaped out on the motherboard.
My last onboard audio failed eventually, but always had some interference. When I bought a new sound card with an amp built in, it was night and day difference in terms of sound quality. Anyone with a decent set of headphones or speakers would be able to tell the difference. Then again, it was a mid range ASUS board. Terry Crews did the right thing getting one from the get go.

derExperte

My motherboards have all been of reasonably good quality in the 100-200€ range and when doing a new build I always give onboard a chance but it never ends well. Might be better if you're paying 400€ for your board, get lucky, have a higher tolerance for average audio quality or a questionable audio setup so the differences aren't as pronounced but I always suggest doing a direct comparison if possible. Doesn't need to be a high end card like Crews bought, just get a Soundblaster Z or Xonar DX. They'll also last forever, I had the one before my Z for 10 years and only changed because PCI slots went out of style.

Cramoss

Did I just go back in time? All these people still getting offended at that PC master race joke takes me back to 6 years ago.

krang

My motherboards have all been of reasonably good quality in the 100-200€ range and when doing a new build I always give onboard a chance but it never ends well. Might be better if you're paying 400€ for your board or have a higher tolerance for average audio quality or generally a bad audio setup so the differences aren't as pronounced but I always suggest doing a direct comparison if possible. Doesn't need to be a high end card like Crews bought, just get a Soundblaster Z or Xonar DX.

I've got no immediate plans (I'm tossing around the idea of a rig or Scorpio next year), but that's good to know.

UrbanRats

Um no, he didn't say "im going to play uc4 on this." I'm sure his kid has a PS4. Someone in the comments mentioned it and he wanted to call it out. He clearly isn't clueless about this stuff. Seems to be legitimately into gaming and learning more. Cool video

I didn't mean to imply that.
I was legit confused by what he meant.

I'm not familiar with the guy, beyond a couple of youtube clips and gifs, so i wouldn't have any basis to assume whether he's clueless about gaming or not.

Someone from twitch needs to reach out to him and try to get him to stream him playing games with his son or without. It has some serious potential.

Ploid 3.0

Someone from twitch needs to reach out to him and try to get him to stream him playing games with his son or without. It has some serious potential.

Imagine him doing a twitch stream with twitch stickers all on his arm and head, NASCAR style for the laughs. Heck Twitch could probably get him to do a commercial if it doesn't conflict with any of his contracts. It won't be cheap I bet, but boy would it be funny.

Gamer School with T.Crews. Join me as I go to Epic Games and learn how to circle strafe from experts, and next week I'll be at Blizzard as they put me, ME! in Overwatch. Nah, I don't know, too much wishful thinking, and too much money/time to set up. Better to just wait on another LoL event, or CSGO.

It's definitely on Hulu I watched it there.

I know what I'll be doing later today then, thanks for the info.

Ominym

Banned
Imagine Terry Crews streaming on Twitch.

I mean, if T-Pain can do it so can Terry Crews. He genuinely seems like a really good guy.

That said it is super weird to hear someone say "PC Master Race" out loud. Not drive-by posting either, I've seen the discussion. It's just weird when people say Internet shit out loud.

Asmodai48

Im surprised he didn't just get someone to build it for him.

Edit: Nvm just read some guy called Pony lion giving him a hand.

What a legend, hopefully i bump into on the battlefield one day. lol

Ok. I guess we will laugh at the phrase SJW in a few years also. Except the Nazi MR is a real thing that happened. It's a stupid as fuck label.
Develop a sense of humor, the world is a shit enough place without inventing things to get angry about.

Not like this Terry. Such a stupid ass designation and I say that as someone who sat in his undies and a lab coat and built a computer.

Wow, I just realized the fact that I do in fact own a lab coat and I've never fiddled with my PC in it!

Also, Terry Crews is one cool dude.

Dunkley

Because the dumbass OP titled the thread originally as 'Terry Crews joining the "PC Master Race..."'

Then people asked if he really said that without watching the video. I and others who obviously watched video said he did in fact say "master race".

The mods stealth changed the title.

TLDR; the op is such an idiot for even putting that title there. What a fucking loser. I cant stand him personally.

Hey don't beat yourself up,

I admit I would have made the same mistake if I made this thread.

LordRaptor

As a primarily PC Gamer I'm 100% in favour of banning people who use the term "Pc Master Race" because the only times I see it here is as a passive aggressive label by console fanboys with an inferiority complex.

diaspora

Why would you want to sour his purity.
tumblr_n1gon79CEI1s8ltbfo1_250.gif

As a primarily PC Gamer I'm 100% in favour of banning people who use the term "Pc Master Race" because the only times I see it here is as a passive aggressive label by console fanboys with an inferiority complex.

Well thank God you don't get to make the decisions around here then. Even if that were true, being passive aggressive isn't a bannable offense, so I'd say get over it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Any one have an approximate cost of that rig? Never been a pc gamer or built a rig, but i wanna try my hand at it. Just a fun personal project.

I remember a post earlier that pretty much totaled it to just under $5000 but a lot of the stuff he has is overkill for gaming.
If you want to try at it yourself with reasonably priced good components you can check out the New PC building thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1222740

Burt

say that to terry's face bro

Yeah most people think so, and for many it works well enough. But there are definitely still advantages to using sound cards. I noticed my mic had a whole lot of white noise without a sound card so I invested into a cheap one, it can make a big difference depending on the equipment you use.

Top Bottom