• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Cybertruck finalized reveal, 0-60 demonstration

clarky

Gold Member
I had my name down for one of these, i think they look fantastic but had to pass unfortunately. At the original price I absolutely would have got one.

clarky

Gold Member
For the record, I’d like to remind anyone who cares that I said no way in hell it has a 15,000 pound (or was it more??) towing capacity when they first announced like 4 years ago, and lo, it’s right in line with my Ram 1500. Which I can fill up in 5 minutes for $2.90/gallon. And doesn’t look stupid.

I guess if you want to go camping within 150 miles of home it’s the product for you 🫡

if im reading things right a RAM does 25 MPG???? (on a good day) US gallon of petrol over here in the UK would set you back around $9.

i'll take the cyber truck all day every day. Unless my Math is off its been a long day.

Last edited:
Every time I see one of these I wonder if it would be even legal in most of the world, don't most countries have regulations against cars having such sharp, angular shapes, so pedestrians don't get blown up in a collision?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Electric torque are rockets in a straight line to 100mph, they're just not very fun to drive if you're an enthusiast. The basic Porsche test videos they showed in a straight line, neato, but I would take a 911 Turbo S or a 911 GT3 any day of the week for that light & nimble track weapon fun.

Electric are great point A to point B vehicles for everyday errands and the workplace, however. Would never plan a long trip around one in their current state, nor are they even close to all day work-truck ready. Not the Rivian, not the Lightning, nor the Tesla.

Last edited:

Fbh

I do sort of like the look.
It's ugly in an interesting way, and I like seeing something that looks completely different to most other stuff out there.

I'll probably never have $80K to spend on a car, and even if I did this isn't what I'd get. But it's cool IMO.

The Stig

Genuinely interested in the crash test results.
yeah that shape looks like it hasnt been designed with safety in mind. It looks very pedestrian un-friendly

its also ugly as heck and has a stupid bed.

at the risk of sounding like a hater, this truck is fucking stupid.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
if im reading things right a RAM does 25 MPG???? (on a good day) US gallon of petrol over here in the UK would set you back around $9.

i'll take the cyber truck all day every day. Unless my Math is off it’s been a long day.
If I got 25MPG that would be a really good day lmfao, without towing and just highway cruising I can get about 20. But that’s not really the point, the point is about every 20-30 miles on the interstate system in the US, there’s a gas station to refuel in about 5 minutes. If it’s a Maverik, I also have the option of a jalapeño bahama mama. My wife and I are talking about driving to Alaska this summer or next with a travel trailer, over a couple months. Stopping every ~100 miles or so for an hour to recharge isn’t really ideal, and that’s the range you’re talking about if you’re actually using an electric truck to do truck things.

clarky

Gold Member
If I got 25MPG that would be a really good day lmfao, without towing and just highway cruising I can get about 20. But that’s not really the point, the point is about every 20-30 miles on the interstate system in the US, there’s a gas station to refuel in about 5 minutes. If it’s a Maverik, I also have the option of a jalapeño bahama mama. My wife and I are talking about driving to Alaska this summer or next with a travel trailer, over a couple months. Stopping every ~100 miles or so for an hour to recharge isn’t really ideal, and that’s the range you’re talking about if you’re actually using an electric truck to do truck things.
That would cost a small fortune to run in the UK. But i suppose we are in completely different markets, 150 miles is halfway to anywhere in England lol.

Trip sounds awesome btw.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
what magical place do you live in?
dumb and dumber GIF

That would cost a small fortune to run in the UK. But i suppose we are in completely different markets, 150 miles is halfway to anywhere in England lol.
Murrica is big. We go 2-300 miles for camping trips several times a year. I’d love to do that on electric/renewable energy. I love driving my hybrid over my gas guzzling truck. But you need the right tool for the job

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Teslas are so crazy as drag cars. Nobody can keep up with them. I follow this guys YouTube who has a stock plaid with street tires and the back seat removed, and he’s regularly smoking trailered drag cars that aren’t street legal. It almost seems irresponsible to put cars that fast in people’s hands without making them get some kind of special license.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

btw if anyone thinks I’m just an Elon hater, here’s how the Ford lightning performs towing…

…full disclosure I am a Ford hater 🫠

Alebrije

As a pickup fan I want It.Looks like an early polygon PC car Game.

Problem besides the cost is tha it seems it can not carry alot on it's rear Cage.

Nvzman

yeah that shape looks like it hasnt been designed with safety in mind. It looks very pedestrian un-friendly

its also ugly as heck and has a stupid bed.

at the risk of sounding like a hater, this truck is fucking stupid.
The crash tests are proving the exact opposite.

Tesla cars in general are probably the safest cars on the road, what were you expecting? They just forgot this time? Lmao

Tesla cars in general are probably the safest cars on the road, what were you expecting? They just forgot this time? Lmao
Can you show me the test where they run over a pedestrian? Looks like they'd get sliced in half if hit by a corner of the truck lol

Nvzman

Can you show me the test where they run over a pedestrian? Looks like they'd get sliced in half if hit by a corner of the truck lol
Idk about that but with how massive truck grills are now anyways, how is that any worse than hitting what is essentially a brick wall with plastic protruding out?

...You quoted him speaking specifically about pedestrian safety, the US has relatively low pedestrian safety standards, it's one of the reasons this tesla isn't road legal in the EU in its current state.
how is that any worse than hitting what is essentially a brick wall with plastic protruding out?
Much, much worse lol, it's the difference between alive after collision or exploding on collision; it's not just the sharp angles, but modern cars have all these tricks to deform certain ways on impact so the energy gets directed differently, so they don't get swallowed by the engine or windshield head first.

Toons

My mind fluctuates from this looking cool in a vacuum to how ridiculous its going to look in actual real life society.

This would look in place in a dystopia hellscape, in a suburban city its just going to look juvenile.

But hey I guess someone's gotta do it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I just feel like this is going to be so divisive it’s weird to get as a status symbol and doesn’t offer much utility.

Like not saying it won’t sell Ok but feel like most will hate the damn thing lol

Toons

I just feel like this is going to be so divisive it’s weird to get as a status symbol and doesn’t offer much utility.

Like not saying it won’t sell Ok but feel like most will hate the damn thing lol

Oh they will. But mostly because a lot of those who pre-order these thing are probably douchebags and are going to make it known that they are.

If I see anyone in MY poor ass neighborhood driving this it will tell me a lot about them right off the bat.

it looks cheap, like a dollar store toy car level of cheap, especially with those wheels. I guess the saving grace is that you can speed off super quick if somebody looks your way, to spare you the shame of being seen with it.

China will probably bring out something far better soon anywho, they’ve really been smashing out some fantastic vehicles lately, at least in Australia.

The Stig

I wasnt aware of tesla's rep. in terms of safety. Cool.

All I posted was that it LOOKS dangerous. If it isn't then fair enough
This is what I'm referring to.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Slightly off topic but I didn't know this channel and the overall look and production of the video is pretty damn great for youtube standards.
Makes most other videos about the Cybertruck that I've seen feel like "random dude in a parking lot being recorded by a friend"

There are so many car channels on YouTube but only few that are worth watching. Another good one that I enjoy is Throttle House:

Last edited:

HoodWinked

I'm usually wrong but I think the $100k model helps them to portray the cybertruck as a status symbol like how the Hummer or when the Model S initially came out.

I went to the mall recently and something I noticed was a strangely high number of people walking around wearing $1500 Canadian Goose jackets. With people becoming more materialistic this sort of peacocking is becoming more prevalent.

daffyduck

If it’s marketed as bulletproof, would that mean it can’t be sold in jurisdictions where armoured cars are illegal without an extremely hard to get permit?

Slightly off topic but I didn't know this channel and the overall look and production of the video is pretty damn great for youtube standards.
Makes most other videos about the Cybertruck that I've seen feel like "random dude in a parking lot being recorded by a friend"
lol wut. That feels more like an ad than anything. This truck starts at just under $61k and tops out at $100k. To say Tesla is slashing prices on other models to make this look like a good deal is straight up misleading.

If you actually want high quality content, just wait for Savage Geese video.

Top Bottom