• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Cybertruck finalized reveal, 0-60 demonstration

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Waddaya know, it can look cool...

See that’s cool. But with that, like modding any other truck, the rabbit hole you go down to replace stock parts that become instant weak links runs deep. I used to go off-roading in Moab a lot and the amount of breakdowns you’d see from guys putting massive tires on their rigs without also upgrading steering/suspension/drive line components then having failures was hilarious at times.

Last edited:

midnightAI

See that’s cool. But that like modding any other truck, the rabbit hole you go down to replace stock parts that because instant weak links runs deep. I used to go off-roading in Moab a lot and the amount of breakdowns you’d see from guys putting massive tires on their rigs without also upgrading steering/suspension/drive line components then having failures was hilarious at times.
Yeh, I think most of the failures they had here were for content reasons though (these guys are certainly no amateurs), they will have known the stock mounts weren't good enough, but the spindle is a weird one. Still, the Cybertruck looks cool here and I normally hate the design of the thing, I actually much prefer their bumpers compared to the originals, the tracks are the main thing, but that wrap even helps make it not look like an aluminium fridge.

Saw one of these in front of me in a drivethru….

Was certainly head turning. People would walk by and stop stare take pics…

Thing is ugly as sin though… and is a fingerprint MAGNET….

No thanks!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
iucqHFx.jpg

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Kind an interesting how they dropped the bullit proof windows which was a big thing they announced back at reveal. Probably safety concerns.
Ehh not really, it’s almost definitely a case of sky high costs with near zero practical benefit. I’ve never been in, or know anyone that’s been in, a car that’s been shot at. However, I have been rear ended and knocked unconscious by a drunk driver, and had friends and family die from being t-boned without side impact airbags or being tossed from a rolling vehicle due to malfunctioning seat belt. There are much more important areas to put resources in to, in terms of safety.

There’s almost zero benefit in making a civilian truck bullet proof, while there are huge costs in doing so. When you’ve already gone with an SS body, I suppose it’s just a “free” marketing gimmick (ignoring all the drawbacks of having exposed SS…which are many). But windows? You’d be adding many thousands of dollars to the price, and for what? Nothing that anyone can realistically be able to point to in order to justify the cost.

So I get why they’d compromise on the design from the original pitch. And I get why they’d try to make a splash with the original pitch. But I do feel some vindication in calling bullshit on the original pitch, because their specs and claims were way beyond what could be reasonably expected.

Now that RAM has announced their EV trucks, I’m actually quite a bit more interested in the market, because the Ramcharger has a full on gas V6 to act as a generator/range extender and its towing specs (2,600 payload/14,000 towing) are in the HD truck range. That’s something that could actually make me feel comfortable to use as a long range camping rig. And, I don’t realistically expect to get shot while out and about.

Kenpachii

Ehh not really, it’s almost definitely a case of sky high costs with near zero practical benefit. I’ve never been in, or know anyone that’s been in, a car that’s been shot at. However, I have been rear ended and knocked unconscious by a drunk driver, and had friends and family die from being t-boned without side impact airbags or being tossed from a rolling vehicle due to malfunctioning seat belt. There are much more important areas to put resources in to, in terms of safety.

There’s almost zero benefit in making a civilian truck bullet proof, while there are huge costs in doing so. When you’ve already gone with an SS body, I suppose it’s just a “free” marketing gimmick (ignoring all the drawbacks of having exposed SS…which are many). But windows? You’d be adding many thousands of dollars to the price, and for what? Nothing that anyone can realistically be able to point to in order to justify the cost.

So I get why they’d compromise on the design from the original pitch. And I get why they’d try to make a splash with the original pitch. But I do feel some vindication in calling bullshit on the original pitch, because their specs and claims were way beyond what could be reasonably expected.

Now that RAM has announced their EV trucks, I’m actually quite a bit more interested in the market, because the Ramcharger has a full on gas V6 to act as a generator/range extender and its towing specs (2,600 payload/14,000 towing) are in the HD truck range. That’s something that could actually make me feel comfortable to use as a long range camping rig. And, I don’t realistically expect to get shot while out and about.

I can see it being a hazard for safety when the car hits the water, u cant smash the window for example. That's also why i thought the car would be most likely banned in europe.

Top Bottom