• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Cybertruck finalized reveal, 0-60 demonstration

zombrex

I love how it looks, it grows on you the more you look at it.
I think the strong negative reactions are because it is so different to anyting else on the market. I think it will win awards in the future for design asthetics and will inspire other car companies to try similar designs.

Fbh

lol wut. That feels more like an ad than anything. This truck starts at just under $61k and tops out at $100k. To say Tesla is slashing prices on other models to make this look like a good deal is straight up misleading.

If you actually want high quality content, just wait for Savage Geese video.

Yeah looking a bit more deeply the coverage itself seems rather biased, they seem very hesitant to actually criticise anything and seem a bit fanboyish of the brand.

But I was mostly talking about the production values in comparison to most other car channels I've seen on YouTube

The Stig

The crash tests are proving the exact opposite.

Tesla cars in general are probably the safest cars on the road, what were you expecting? They just forgot this time? Lmao
I wasnt aware of tesla's rep. in terms of safety. Cool.

All I posted was that it LOOKS dangerous. If it isn't then fair enough

Tams

Cool and all, but still ugly as fuck and I only saw two examples of (rather tame) offroading.

And most of all, good luck going on long trips in one in examples like in the trailer without a support diesel vehicle.

Yeah looking a bit more deeply the coverage itself seems rather biased, they seem very hesitant to actually criticise anything and seem a bit fanboyish of the brand.

But I was mostly talking about the production values in comparison to most other car channels I've seen on YouTube
production value shouldn't be the sole judge of quality as the content itself is more important. This is just well polished ad that is falsely labeled as "full review". They spent almost the entire video on the race track for a supposed "review" of a truck. That alone should be enough of a red flag.

Yoboman

gVfACeG.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I love Marques, but he is a huge Tesla/Musk fanboy. I need to see reviews from more neutral parties before I believe it might succeed in the long run.

Also once people see how easy it is to remove those wheel caps they will be stolen left and right.
I checked it out closely at a Tesla showroom last week. It’s a great looking vehicle all around in person (aside from some asymmetrical panel gaps that were hard not to notice…probably don’t get the first batch off the production line). More of a presence than most sports cars and more useful, and daily drivable, and “good for the environment” (sort of).

Really doubtful that it flops. Tons of tech bros are buying one.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I checked it out closely at a Tesla showroom last week. It’s a great looking vehicle all around in person (aside from some asymmetrical panel gaps that were hard not to notice…probably don’t get the first batch off the production line). More of a presence than most sports cars and more useful, and daily drivable, and “good for the environment” (sort of).

Really doubtful that it flops. Tons of tech bros are buying one.
I have no doubt it will sell. I'm more interested in it's long term reliability and the various glaring issues that it has in my opinion. That windshield is ENORMOUS and the moment it gets chipped that repair bill is going to be insane. And Marques even mentions it in the video, but those doors not having a handle is going to be a DOA feature anywhere that gets icy weather with any regularity. Not just the doors either that giant wind shield wiper is going to be very interesting to see when it's all covered in snow or ice.

And I get that some people like the aesthetics of it but it's not for me. The stainless steel also being a fingerprint nightmare would trigger my OCD.

Last edited:

Irobot82

If I could own any vehicle ever, it would probably be this. But I can never afford one. Who knows maybe one day. Looks fucking cool.

Pidull

So the one I originally put the reservation in for is now $30,000 more, no thanks. Sucks, I was really hyped for it.
Oof, sucks that you gave Elon cash up front to leverage in other areas.

I'm no Tesla stan because I'm poor, but I admit the Cybertruck is cooler than I originally expected it would be.

Ribi

The rivian is more attractive to me, but even that is missing some technology to be the "it" truck for me.

Phobos Base

I wasnt aware of tesla's rep. in terms of safety. Cool.

All I posted was that it LOOKS dangerous. If it isn't then fair enough

Safe for the occupants maybe, can't be sold in Europe as it hasn't got a change of meeting pedestrian impact regulations.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I love Marques, but he is a huge Tesla/Musk fanboy. I need to see reviews from more neutral parties before I believe it might succeed in the long run.

Also once people see how easy it is to remove those wheel caps they will be stolen left and right.

Those caps make for a nice shield for sure

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I have zero practical need for one but I would love to drive it. It’s gotta be such an unreal sensation being in some massive beast like that yet getting the acceleration of a supercar.

GymWolf

Do people really think that 60.000 to 100.000 are a lot of money for such a car?

Shit you can buy way lesser cars for the same money.

Here you have:

Something that has at the very least a UNIQUE look that nobody is copying (yet)
Bulletproof
Super high tech, probably more high tech than most other cars
Great engine from what i saw

Am i completely wrong here?

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Do people really think that 60.000 to 100.000 are a lot of money for such a car?

Shit you can buy way lesser cars for the same money.

Here you have:

Something that has at the very least a UNIQUE look that nobody is copying (yet)
Bulletproof
Super high tech, probably more high tech than most other cars
Great engine from what i saw

Am i completely wrong here?
Its not Bulletproof and not super high tech.

Don't really know what the crowd for this is. Pickup driving rednecks have no need for a car with limited range while towing their trailer and seem to hate EVs in general.
Liberal tech dudes who live in bigger cities and want an eco friendly EV are not going to get this either. Rivian's Pickup and Fords EV offering aren't selling anywhere near projections. This won't sell either. I would be very surprised if people stick with their preorder (the cheapest version is pushed to 25/26).

Thaedolus

Gold Member
9000 Delorians were made.

There are ~2 million preorders for the Cybertruck.

1.8 million Teslas will be delivered for 2023.

Ford sold 653,000 F-150s in 2022, if Tesla delivers that many I will fly to TX and we can live stream the crow feast you serve me.

Edit fuck your post says Teslas not Cybertrucks, you got good seasoning??

Last edited:

GymWolf

Its not Bulletproof and not super high tech.

Don't really know what the crowd for this is. Pickup driving rednecks have no need for a car with limited range while towing their trailer and seem to hate EVs in general.
Liberal tech dudes who live in bigger cities and want an eco friendly EV are not going to get this either. Rivian's Pickup and Fords EV offering aren't selling anywhere near projections. This won't sell either. I would be very surprised if people stick with their preorder (the cheapest version is pushed to 25/26).
It's not bulletproof?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Me, guy who likes the outdoors and thinks about things like hey can I pull what I want to pull and refuel and have traction and articulation and…

Dweeb: huhuhuh side panels can take a full Tommy gun mag

midnightAI

The crash tests are proving the exact opposite.

Tesla cars in general are probably the safest cars on the road, what were you expecting? They just forgot this time? Lmao
For the Cybertruck itself maybe, its a tank, bit what about the cars that hit it (or it hits), same for pedestrians. It is highly unlikely in its current guise this gets passed in the EU/UK, you hit someone with this at 30mph they are likely dead (and I am going of materials used, size of, and distance to, the windshield (which is one of the main causes of death as its head height), angular construction etc. For example, the aluminium used is 3mm thick, that isn't going to pass EU/UK crumple tests). So its not about whether the Cybertruck itself is safe its whether everyone around it is safe if involved in an accident.

Bry0

The door mechanism seems wildly impractical going off my experience in Illinois winters. Just seems like a truck for rich people and tesla simps. There’s some cool stuff about it for sure but it’s awful gimmicky.

Top Bottom