• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 - OT - The cheap one

Here's what the configuration page looks like:

http://imgur.com/a/7VVtz

2eWSwhR.png

jS5gMus.png

adNtuVa.png

mtu8KWt.png

Exys1Jy.png

Here's what the UI is like:

https://projects.invisionapp.com/share/DPCUX2ETA#/screens/246644259

mcfrank

To be fair, that is a screenshot of the UI with the "about page" pop up on hovering over the interface. Here it is without that

SthTKvG.png

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Every Tesla currently being sold has the capability of full Level 5 autonomy with a future software update. They're not close to that, maybe a year or two away, but they have the sensor suite and computing power for it in every Tesla since last October.
1-2 years away from L5 autonomy? Uh.. ok.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Don't see the point of buying full automation now nor do I see the point of getting 19s [weight = less range]
I agree on the full automation option. It's way too hard to predict when this is going to be available (or even legally allowed) wherever an owner lives. It feels sheisty of them to charge 3k up front with no idea of an ETA. You're basically giving them money for nothing.

mcfrank

Full automation is the only option I am skipping at launch. Too much is still up in the air to commit 3,000$ to it.

mnannola

To be fair, that is a screenshot of the UI with the "about page" pop up on hovering over the interface. Here it is without that

SthTKvG.png

Damn that UI looks cluttered. Seems like there should be either a bigger screen, or a few different screens to split different functions on to.

Doodis

Full automation is the only option I am skipping at launch. Too much is still up in the air to commit 3,000$ to it.

Ideally, I'd do the same. But my finances will crumble. I keep going back and forth between which options to get...long range battery, buy autopilot later with tax credit...standard battery plus autopilot...standard battery with AWD, but lose full tax credit...

I keep going back and forth. I tell myself, "You'll have this car for 10 years, don't skimp." Then I remind myself, "You'd be okay with payments now but what happens when Mrs. Doodis needs a new car in a couple years!" Le sigh. Le first world problems.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
2 years is Elon's prediction, based purely on the tech and not factoring in legal restrictions.
Elon's optimism is boundless, no doubt.

L5 is "I can fall asleep in my car and get where I'm going safely" automation and frankly anything claiming that level should spend at least 1-2 years in testing alone just to prove it's safe, nevermind the time it actually takes getting the tech to that proficiency.

Someone is better off investing that 3k instead of paying it up front and then just paying for the enhanced AP once it's proven.

milanbaros

Member?

L5 is "I can fall asleep in my car and get where I'm going safely" automation and frankly anything claiming that level should spend at least 1-2 years in testing alone just to prove it's safe, nevermind the time it actually takes getting the tech to that proficiency.

Someone is better off investing that 3k instead of paying it up front and then just paying for the enhanced AP once it's proven.

Fully autonomous is coming faster than most people expect. I see the roads of European cities being completely different in 10 years.

Supposedly they have a huge leg up on the competition by having so much more real world data.

Jisgsaw

Fully autonomous is coming faster than most people expect. I see the roads of European cities being completely different in 10 years.

Autonomous systems won't be ready to drive in cities, least of all european cities, before at the very least 5 years. There still isn't a single system today that can mange highways (which are much, much easier situations) , even those will take a couple years to come.

And while we're at it, I'm still doubtful the sensor setup of Tesla will be sufficient to reach the targeted performance and reliability.

LaneDS

I'll be doing the enhanced autopilot, if for nothing else being able to zone out during stop and go traffic. Full autopilot... yeah, we'll see. Not a lot of faith in U.S. lawmakers these days to pass progressive, forward thinking laws so my expectation of being able to use that feature in this car is low.

The good news is that the UI can be updated and changed whenever; unless a normal instrument cluster.

A "normal" instrument cluster, sure. But both mine and my wife's cars have screens behind the wheel.

Can update that as you fancy (and customise it to a certain extent as the driver).

I'll be doing the enhanced autopilot, if for nothing else being able to zone out during stop and go traffic. Full autopilot... yeah, we'll see. Not a lot of faith in U.S. lawmakers these days to pass progressive, forward thinking laws so my expectation of being able to use that feature in this car is low.

I can tell you that Autopilot is nothing short of a miracle in rush hour traffic. It's literally revolutionary for horrible commutes.

So Tesla is doing 0.99% for up to 72 months on all new Model S. Tempting but even with base 3 + Premium it's only 40k versus base S being $70k. I don't really see the difference of 30k there; especially the additional 5k on the S for the Premium making it 40k versus $75k.

I have a feeling they're having a difficult time selling new S's.

So Tesla is doing 0.99% for up to 72 months on all new Model S. Tempting but even with base 3 + Premium it's only 40k versus base S being $70k. I don't really see the difference of 30k there; especially the additional 5k on the S for the Premium making it 40k versus $75k.

I have a feeling they're having a difficult time selling new S's.

They just had an earnings report yesterday and sales of S and X have actually increased since the announcement of 3.

Weighed it for awhile. Almost backed out. After looking at my options, as long as I qualify for the $7,500 credit I'll be getting a RWD, Premium upgrade, Tesla 3 mid next year it looks like.

They just had an earnings report yesterday and sales of S and X have actually increased since the announcement of 3.

Guessing it's for people who just can't wait. I've the money to buy either with cash but after the 3; the S just doesn't have the value it once did.

3 + Premium = 40k
S + Premium = 80k

Sure it has a bit more features, but I don't see the value in a 100% markup. That's not even getting to the other two models of the S...

I firmly think the S model will have to come down in price by at least 20% or have to offer ALOT more to justify a 100% difference.

Guessing it's for people who just can't wait. I've the money to buy either with cash but after the 3; the S just doesn't have the value it once did.

3 + Premium = 40k
S + Premium = 80k

Sure it has a bit more features, but I don't see the value in a 100% markup. That's not even getting to the other two models of the S...

I firmly think the S model will have to come down in price by at least 20% or have to offer ALOT more to justify a 100% difference.

I don't really know what you're arguing about here. Tesla has already said sales of S and X are as healthy as ever, if not more so than before. So how you personally feel is completely irrelevant. There's always going to be a market for the S and X, just as there will always be a market for the BMW 5 series and 7 series even though the 3 series exists.

As an S owner myself, I don't feel like I got ripped off buying an S instead of a 3. The S is an amazing car. The 3 will also be an amazing car. It's a difference of degrees. I also buy $750 video cards and think they are amazing. Value isn't just about price and nothing else. If anything, people should remember the adage "I'm too poor to buy cheap" and understand and embrace the meaning of that adage.

Doesn't work with Safari.

Not a fan of the stock colors, besides midnight silver metallic. Was thinking of just doing a custom paint job, but I don't know how much that would be. Maybe a bit more than the 1k they're charging?

Uh, a custom paint job is gonna run a whole lot more than $1000. You wouldn't even be able to get the car vinyl wrapped for that.

Coketruck

I reserved a Model 3 on August 2 and was given an initial delivery date of early 2019. Checked it this morning and saw that it had changed to late 2018. Nice.

Not to be negative, but I can't imagine that driving distance being anything short of horrendous. This seems like a car made for people who don't even enjoy driving.

Also, I truly can't believe you guys are going to buy a car you haven't yet driven. What an insane risk. What if you hate it? Because guaranteed some people who buy one will.

Not to be negative, but I can't imagine that driving distance being anything short of horrendous. This seems like a car made for people who don't even enjoy driving.

Also, I truly can't believe you guys are going to buy a car you haven't yet driven. What an insane risk. What if you hate it? Because guaranteed some people who buy one will.

310 miles is horrendous? That's how much my car gets right now on a full tank.

You can schedule test drives.

Most families own more than 1 car.

Will I be able to see and test drive Model 3?
In the coming months, you will be able to test drive Model 3 on display in select Tesla stores. We will share more information on test drives soon. Sign up for the Tesla newsletter to receive the latest news, events, and product updates.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Beleieve it or not, there are a whole lot of people that couldn't give two shits about how a car drives. It's literally something that gets them from A to B. Strangely enough it seems there's also a whole lot of people that believe they shouldn't be going from point A to B using gas.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Every Tesla currently being sold has the capability of full Level 5 autonomy with a future software update. They're not close to that, maybe a year or two away, but they have the sensor suite and computing power for it in every Tesla since last October.
I think Tesla's end game is facilitating a Tesla ride share service that they share profits from. Otherwise, why eat the cost on that equipment?

FinKL

My reservation delivery date is projected to be mid 2018, I'm sure I'll test drive one at a store before then. Hate it? Cancel it, easy it's not like your reservation is non-refundable.

Color choice is the hard option, though leaning white, then blue.

h1nch

Is your daily commute more than 300 miles? If so you're an extreme edge case and EVs are probably not for you. For the remaining 99% of people, 310 miles is like more than enough. You would presumably charge your car every night like you do your phone, and never ever have to go to a gas station ever again.

What is so horrendous about that?

Jezbollah

Is your daily commute more than 300 miles? If so you're an extreme edge case and EVs are probably not for you. For the remaining 99% of people, 310 miles is like more than enough. You would presumably charge your car every night like you do your phone, and never ever have to go to a gas station ever again.

What is so horrendous about that?

Your example only caters for those who live in large areas where commuting 300 miles is low percentage. In other smaller countries, where flying or taking a train isnt an option it happens a lot - this is why you have smaller cars with more efficient combustion engines.

Your 99% is greatly reduced in those scenarios. EVs have a long way to go outside America.

mcfrank

Shit post? Shit post.

Alcander

Your example only caters for those who live in large areas where commuting 300 miles is low percentage. In other smaller countries, where flying or taking a train isnt an option it happens a lot - this is why you have smaller cars with more efficient combustion engines.

Your 99% is greatly reduced in those scenarios. EVs have a long way to go outside America.

What is even the point of this post? Yes, batteries don't last forever. The tech will improve, but >300 miles on a single charge is more than enough to be viable for most people's commutes.

Top Bottom