• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfrank

Update with reveal specs:

auJypUx.png

Elon Musk just tweeted that online orders will start at 7:30pm with the reveal still at 8:30pm to reduce server load.

i4ZjBz7.png

Livestream begins at 8:30 PST HERE

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/10/10961864/tesla-model-3-unveiling-march-31

Ahead of its earnings call today, Tesla Motors has announced that it will show its Model 3 — a critical, mass-market vehicle far cheaper than the Model S and X that it sells currently — on March 31st, just a few weeks away.

This isn't an actual release, though: that's still many months away, with production and first deliveries coming in 2017. CEO Elon Musk had previously said that the Model 3 would be shown in March of this year, so now we're tracking for a specific date. (Of course, the 31st is about as far as you can go in the month of March without slipping beyond the target.)

The car will cost $35,000 before incentives. If this follows the trend of previous Teslas, expect pre-orders to begin on March 31 for around $5,000 with a limited signature edition available for a pre-order of around $20,000.

Update: Elon tweeted that the deposit will be 1k and available in tesla stores on March 31 and online april 1.

Kieli

This is arriving much sooner than expected. By the time I will be in market for a car, the electrics may very well be affordable.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Man. I can't believe they are skipping the Geneva Auto Show just by a couple of weeks.

Then again, they probably want all the attention for themselves. Geneva can be pretty overwhelming and most newspapers will have their motoring pages already filled to the brim.

RBH

Really excited to see how this turns out and how it will affect the landscape of EVs as a whole.

Once these things get around 350 miles per charge, including use of AC and what not I will definitely jump in. I want to be able to make the trip to Vegas from my home without needing to stop for a charge lol.

mcfrank

Seriously though, how much should you make in order for a 35k car not to be a totally irresponsible buy?

Depends on how much your rent is I suppose. If you live in the midwest with cheap rent, probably 50-60k or so. If you live in a place with expensive rent probably 80k.

Payment at 3% interest and nothing down would be in the 650 range.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously though, how much should you make in order for a 35k car not to be a totally irresponsible buy?

The average transaction price for a new car in the US is $33,560 (The link also provides specific data for a few manufacturers). Additionally, the federal tax credit for electric cars ranges from $2500-7500, of which the current Tesla Model S qualifies for the maximum, depending on battery capacity. Some states also offer their own tax incentives that ranges around a few thousand dollars. This is a interactive map of the state by state tax incentives.

todd360

I have been hyped for the car for years now and I have to pay off student loans before I could even dream of buying one. I'm mostly just excited to see it at this point.

Really hoping they're aiming for something special, but my expectations have been going gradually down in the past year.

Some of the recent news has been a bummer, too.

Apparently they might not even actually show the vehicle in person, but just a couple of pictures.

http://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-says-tesla-probably-wont-show-us-the-full-mod-1757237641

Other news includes that there might be just a very few amount of options at the start, and they're focusing on just getting out the cheapest bare-bones model out. More performance or luxury options won't come around till much later.

On top of reported problems with the gigafactory, and they're reputation so far on delays, I doubt the car will arrive in 2017. Probably gonna have to skip on waiting for this car and buy a car this year instead, hopefully within 8 years we'll see some real competitive mid-priced cars.

Regardless, hopefully this car gets the ball rolling on affordable mass produced electric cars alongside the Bolt.

JavyOO7

I hope the Model 3 gets the same windshield that the Model X got. Man, that thing is great.

edit - I do not see it coming out in 2017 though. Maybe Spring 2019, haha.

20-4-10 rule

20% down payment, 4 years, 10% of monthly after-tax income

Say you earn $60K a year, you'll be bringing home $3500 a month in after-tax income, so your payment shouldn't exceed $350

mcfrank

Just because a bank will let you be a slave that does not mean you should. 5 Years on a car no fucking thanks.

People who get a loan for a car (i.e. that vast majority of the population) are slaves? That might be enough internet for you today...

Probably 60k AUD or something. Cheaper but still well out of my price range.

Maybe I'll be able to pick up a second hand or showroom model a few years down the line though.

Just because a bank will let you be a slave that does not mean you should. 5 Years on a car no fucking thanks.
7500 plus in incentives minimum if you move right away. Plus likely savings in running costs too. It's going to be easier than spending 35,000 on a regular car to afford. We couldn't have afforded a regular 35,000 car but we bought a 2016 Volt. It was 28,000 after rebates and tax credit and it costs less a month to run than what it replaced.

If the model 3 had been out it would have been something else we would have considered.

darscot

People who get a loan for a car (i.e. that vast majority of the population) are slaves? That might be enough internet for you today...

Borrowing 35K when all you make is 70K is fucking crazy and getting in way over your head to a bank. I never said shit about getting a car loan. 5 Years with those numbers is stupidity.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, enlighten me, is this cheap enough for people who would have problems with gas taxation? I remember reading a post in that gas tax thread about how only rich people have the money to buy an EV.

I wonder if this is a gamechanger for those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom