• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Bathroom Bill Dead (Blow a goat, Abbott!)

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/07/despite-hours-testimony-texas-bathroom-bill-passes/

Senate Bill 3 would require people to use the bathroom associated with the sex on their birth certificate in government buildings and schools and ban local governments and schools from passing rules that allow transgender people to use the bathroom associated with their actual gender.

The bill will now go to the full senate for a vote, where it is expected to easily pass. It could face more opposition in the house, though, where Republican speaker Joe Straus said, ”I don't want the suicide of a single Texan on my hands."

Ten hours of testimony followed, most of which came from a coalition of LGBTQ activists, teachers groups, school administrators, and business leaders that oppose the bill.

Republican Texas senator Craig Estes replied, ”I'm hearing that it's somehow our fault that people are committing suicide. Another explanation could be that people are depressed."

lock if old

The Kree

Banned
Republican Texas senator Craig Estes replied, “I’m hearing that it’s somehow our fault that people are committing suicide. Another explanation could be that people are depressed.”

OK, now keep going...

Why are they depressed, you fuckwit?

Ithil

“I’m hearing that it’s somehow our fault that people are committing suicide. Another explanation could be that people are depressed.”

Gee I'm sure there's zero correlation between your endless mistreatment of them and their depression.
Fucking idiot.

Not

Banned
Republican Texas senator Craig Estes replied, “I’m hearing that it’s somehow our fault that people are committing suicide. Another explanation could be that people are depressed.”

And it's your fault they're depressed, asshole.

Sophia

Just how out of touch with reality do you have to be to say something like this?!

CHC

More than making me angry, this just makes me sad. What a colossal fucking waste of time and resources. A bunch of fucking old white men dragging everyone through some fucking political obstacle course for what...? The whole thing is so fucking pathetic.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Once more the GOP are absolute pieces of shit who should be ashamed of themselves till the day they die.

Veezy

que?
How is something like this even fucking enforced. What mechanisms are in place to verify that somebody is allowed to use a toilet?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
GOP: Big gov't is ruining us!

Also GOP: Use this bathroom only!

Edit - Hopefully the House kills it.

ICO_SotC

Just how out of touch with reality do you have to be to say something like this?!
This is basically what Republicans used to say about gay suicides.

"Well, maybe that's the result of leading the gay lifestyle."

They just redirected their hateful bullshit at another another target.

Shauni

How is something like this even fucking enforced. What mechanisms are in place to verify that somebody is allowed to use a toilet?

It's not enforceable really. Well, I mean, it is possible to do so, but they aren't going to allow the time and resources to actually do that on a large scale. It's more a symbolic thing: it's them saying, 'you are not alright, you are not allowed to be the gender you identify as, fuck you' essentially

Pizza

Future Texas teacher, I will not support this bill. Students do not bring their birth certificates to class, so I have no way of know whether or not they've transitioned. Students who @ me with complaints will be told to stay in their own lane.

This is an asinine bill. It wasted soo much of this year's legislative session for... what? Old transphobic republicans? I'm sorry. Not in my school.

Shauni

All the big cities are fine IMO.

We need vote these dudes out.

Unfortunately, there just doesn't seem to be enough blue in the state as a whole to do that, yet. Cruz is up for re-election in 2018, is unpopular, and just barely won his first election to begin with, so there's a slim chance he could go, I guess.

It's enough for these fucks to scare trans people into staying away from public places for fear of the law or violence.

This is becoming pretty common, at least here in Austin. It's a great idea anyway, has uses beyond dealing with this kind of BS.

That's what my old school did this year. Only non unisex bathrooms are the team locker rooms.

After NC, people still on this bullshit?

They probably think they won't get the same pushback NC got because Texas is much larger and more "important" economically, so to speak. California and New York could get away with a lot, too, but thankfully they have some decency and humanity (and Democratic control).

Speely

Banned
Goddamnit :( Republicans continuing to show that they care 0% about people and 100% about maintaining party status quo. The fuck is wrong with them?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Btw this law also affects people who have the wrong sex recorded on their birth certificates because of typo/human error which shows how arbitrary their legal reasoning is too.

Pizza

Btw this law also affects people who have the wrong sex recorded on their birth certificates because of typo/human error which shows how arbitrary their legal reasoning is too.

Oh my god I hadn't even considered that. I'm SO glad our tax dollars, time, and effort went to this and legalizing nunchucks in public.

Shauni

Goddamnit :( Republicans continuing to show that they care 0% about people and 100% about maintaining party status quo. The fuck is wrong with them?

You just answered your own question. They are the party of preserving the status quo, and that means running over those that threaten in some form or fashion.

Platy

That is also a way to describe everyone affected by this law =P

Madness

It's a room where you piss and shit. Why is there a gender limitation at all?

It's a social construct to have a male and female room.

Because women historically have been raped in bathroom stalls, have been subject to filming and voyeurs like upskirts. Don't miscontrue things like gendered restrooms and why not have a one size fits all approach. This is just being petty for the sake of being petty. When I worked security at my university in the past, we were told explicitly to keep track of the far off women bathrooms etc.

It may be a room where you piss and shit. But it is a room where women feel unsafe around men. Which is why they have them. It is why gendered buses and subways and cars are women only in places like Japan and India. They are just trying to equate anti-trans sentiment with women's safety. Removing all gendered bathrooms is just stupid. Here is a novel idea, have private third restrooms like many do for disabled americans to use if you feel uncomfortable. And let those who identify as male or female choose which bathroom they want. It is a red herring to suggest there is some nefarious scheme to have men dressed as women enter their bathrooms etc.

Aaron

For people who want to know why something so pointless and horrible passed so easily in Texas, there was an article in a recent New Yorker about the state government. If anything, it's worse than you think it is. It's a combination of religious nutcases, white panic, a dab of sexisim, and blatant lies covering even more obvious monomania.

Lets hope. It needs to hurt the bottom line big time, like with NC. (but NC's replacement law was still trash, and people shouldn't have fell for it)
It'll pass anyway. The business sector used to have a heavy hand in the local government, but that's over. The current mutation of the Tea Party is in control.

old

So much for small government conservatives. Putting the government in bathrooms and having states bar cities from handling their own affairs.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Meanwhile in Jersey:

hfCETP5.jpg

...fuck off and pass away of old age already, republican senators

Future Texas teacher, I will not support this bill. Students do not bring their birth certificates to class, so I have no way of know whether or not they've transitioned. Students who @ me with complaints will be told to stay in their own lane.

This is an asinine bill. It wasted soo much of this year's legislative session for... what? Old transphobic republicans? I'm sorry. Not in my school.

👍 👍 👍

We need as many people and businesses flipping this the bird as possible

We asked the N.C. GOP if they could point to anything that backs up the safety fears. They provided a link to a news story in Seattle from earlier this year, about a man who had twice gone into a women's locker room and began undressing. Seattle does allow transgender people to use the bathroom of the gender they identify as.

The man didn't identify as transgender and didn't appear to present as a woman, the story said. No one called the police, and the man wasn't charged with any crime. Follow-up stories described the incident as a stunt, perhaps politically motivated.

also polled public school systems that allow transgender students to use the bathroom of the gender they identify as. In a June 2015 article, he wrote that in 17 districts with a total of 600,000 students, officials hadn't reported a single incident of ”harassment or inappropriate behavior" related to transgender students and bathrooms.

But we still weren't satisfied, so we kept digging, looking for examples of proven criminal behavior. We were likewise unable to find any examples in the United States, though we did find a case in Canada.

In that case, Christopher Hambrook posed as a woman to gain entry to women's shelters, where he attacked several people before being caught. Hambrook was sentenced to an ”indefinite" jail term in 2014 that could lead to his spending the rest of his life in prison.

Hambrook committed the crimes in Toronto, which has an ordinance protecting transgender people. That appears to be the first, and so far only, incident of its kind in North America.

After spending hours combing through conservative blogs and family values websites dedicated to news about transgender bathroom ordinances, we were able to confirm three cases in the United States in the last 17 years in which a biological male was convicted of a crime that involved him in a women's bathroom or locker room and dressed as a woman.

It's unclear if any of the three identified as transgender women, but none of those cases happened in cities where it would have been legal for a transgender woman to use the women's room anyway. And none involved sexual assault or rape.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article70255967.html

t a bridge too far for Christie.

That wasn't even funny 4 years ago. :-| Shame on you.

Top Bottom