• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Bathroom Bill Dead (Blow a goat, Abbott!)

cameron

Reuters: Texas 'bathroom bill' dies in special legislative session
AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Texas measures to restrict access for transgender people to bathrooms in schools and public buildings died on Tuesday as the House adjourned and ended its special legislative session.

Business leaders and civil rights groups had campaigned heavily to defeat the bills, saying they were discriminatory and would damage the economy. The measures were blocked by moderate House Republicans.

Enactment in Texas, the most populous Republican-dominated state, could have given momentum to other socially conservative states for additional action on an issue that has become a flashpoint in the U.S. culture wars.

The House wound up its duties without taking action on any of the bills and adjourned "sine die," a day ahead of the official end of the 30-day special session.

House Speaker Joe Straus, a pro-business Republican who controls the agenda in the chamber, said the issue not a priority.

The measure that advanced the farthest was Senate Bill 3, which passed easily on a party-line vote in the Republican-controlled Senate and then died in the House.

It would have required people to use restrooms, showers and locker rooms in public schools and other state and local government facilities that match the sex on their birth certificate, as opposed to their gender identity.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wow, pleasantly surprised here. I honestly thought this bump was going to be more bad news.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I was so confused reading this thread cause I saw the news it died earlier today. Really should be new news new thread.

TheContact

Is the argument against this that anyone can just claim to be the opposite gender at a moments notice and be able to legally walk in the bathroom? Yea I get there's some creeps out there but do people pretend to switch genders just to creep in bathrooms?

Pizza

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES

I can't believe we got literally NOTHING done in our special session, but I'm not surprised. Goddamn I'm thrilled to hear this news, just made my night honestly

Lemonz

Maybe Ashley Smith played a part...

ashley-white-bathroom.jpg

Maybe Ashley Smith played a part...

ashley-white-bathroom.jpg

I bet she did. Most of these Texas congressmen and senators still probably have a very antiquated view on what trans people are. I feel like seeing her there may have opened some eyes, and made many of these insular politicians to finally realize "Hey, maybe we DONT want to force a woman that looks like her to use a mens restroom. That would be ridiculous". The bill needed a real trans "face" behind it, and Ashley was a great one.

fenners

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES

I can't believe we got literally NOTHING done in our special session, but I'm not surprised. Goddamn I'm thrilled to hear this news, just made my night honestly

The various boards that would have been sunsetted, like the Medical Board, received funding - that was the core fundamental reason that required a special session, and it would have been a major fuck up for those boards to shut down.

The rest of this nonsense about trees, school vouchers, taxes, and the bathroom bill, was Abbott using it as a chance to pass the policies he wanted outside of the regular constrictions of the legislature.

I largely disagree with our House Chairman, Joe Strauss, but he's consistent in his beliefs as a stereotypical Texas Republican, and utterly knows how to work the system., and those don't match with Abbott's libertarian/Teaparty streak. So we have this standoff between the traditional Texas Republicans & the more "fringe" element that's currently got power.

Texas is weirder than y'all think. ;)

Coolluck

What a relief of a bump. Texas is a garbage heap but there's still hope for it as the Mexicans and Californians take over.

fenners

I bet she did. Most of these Texas congressmen and senators still probably have a very antiquated view on what trans people are. I feel like seeing her there may have opened some eyes, and made many of these insular politicians to finally realize "Hey, maybe we DONT want to force a woman that looks like her to use a mens restroom. That would be ridiculous". The bill needed a real trans "face" behind it, and Ashley was a great one.

As great as this photo is, it's not going to sway any Texas congressperson who wasn't already on the right side of justice. The bathroom bill got defeated on economics because the House had been against it from the beginning on the impact on state business & conventions vs the ideology of the senate that is much more Tea Party controlled.

mrkgoo

I just think everyone should use the same bathroom

Like it's a bathroom

Are you a woman?

I mean it's easy to say things than to actually have them in reality.

I don't mind the idea of cross gender bathrooms, but i think it happily be a voluntary option.

Line_HTX

Fucking HOLD that big giant ass L, Abbott, and especially that loud low-life Lt. Gov. Patrick!!

You will not bring that evil here, Period!

besada

Banned
We had a secretly gay governor?

For years and years, rumors flew about Perry being gay. The standard rumor is that someone walked in on him and an intern while the intern was blowing him.

And Perry's adamant belief that homosexuality is like alcoholism caused a lot of people to wonder if he were just "on the wagon" so to speak.

He's denied it every time someone's had the gall to ask.

Zeke

Fucking HOLD that big giant ass L, Abbott, and especially that loud low-life Lt. Gov. Patrick!!

You will not bring that evil here, Period!
You know he's breathing a sigh of relief that he won't have to sign that Shit into law. Imagine being the governor that cost the state billions. Next up tearing down confederate monuments. The confederate monument here in San Antonio should be coming down soon too...hopefully.

Pizza

The various boards that would have been sunsetted, like the Medical Board, received funding - that was the core fundamental reason that required a special session, and it would have been a major fuck up for those boards to shut down.

I had no idea! I didn't follow the special session as closely as I wanted to. I'm really glad we kept out shit semi together with this then

The rest of this nonsense about trees, school vouchers, taxes, and the bathroom bill, was Abbott using it as a chance to pass the policies he wanted outside of the regular constrictions of the legislature.

I largely disagree with our House Chairman, Joe Strauss, but he's consistent in his beliefs as a stereotypical Texas Republican, and utterly knows how to work the system., and those don't match with Abbott's libertarian/Teaparty streak. So we have this standoff between the traditional Texas Republicans & the more "fringe" element that's currently got power.

Texas is weirder than y'all think. ;)

I'm digging that we're slowly but surely going blue. Give it another ten years tops, I think. I was really pissed about Abbott's list going into the session, but I was following people who were desperately trying to add bills that actually mattered. Like the fact that our medical marijuana bill activating this September is pretty much unworkable, among other things.

Hopefully 2019 is the year of Getting Shit Done in Texas. I don't have that much hope though.

Zeke

I had no idea! I didn't follow the special session as closely as I wanted to. I'm really glad we kept out shit semi together with this then

I'm digging that we're slowly but surely going blue. Give it another ten years tops, I think. I was really pissed about Abbott's list going into the session, but I was following people who were desperately trying to add bills that actually mattered. Like the fact that our medical marijuana bill activating this September is pretty much unworkable, among other things.

Hopefully 2019 is the year of Getting Shit Done in Texas. I don't have that much hope though.
Are you talking about the cannabis oil bill?

Kthulhu

For years and years, rumors flew about Perry being gay. The standard rumor is that someone walked in on him and an intern while the intern was blowing him.

And Perry's adamant belief that homosexuality is like alcoholism caused a lot of people to wonder if he were just "on the wagon" so to speak.

Maybe he's super repressed or something?

Line_HTX

You know he's breathing a sigh of relief that he won't have to sign that Shit into law. Imagine being the governor that cost the state billions. Next up tearing down confederate monuments. The confederate monument here in San Antonio should be coming down soon too...hopefully.

Yeah, there's a monument here in Houston that's also coming down soon. I think Mayor Turner mentioned it earlier today.

Zeke

That's the one, yeah. I used the worst wording for it. I wasn't big enough in scope but it's /something/ for people who need it
The cannabis oil bill passed but its a fucking mess for sure. They are going to make people jump thro hoops to get it. There were two more mj bills that didn't make it one was a decriminalization bill and the other was a bill to get around the fuckery of the cannabis oil bill. The Texas marijuana policy project has been making great strides lots of work left tho!

Yeah, there's a monument here in Houston that's also coming down soon. I think Mayor Turner mentioned it earlier today.
We should replace those confederate monuments with ones honoring our fellow Texans that served in the union during the civil war. :D

Zeroro

Abbott is such a turd. 2018 might not be the year, but I eagerly await playing my part in voting against him, Patrick, Cruz, and all the other shit Texas Republicans next year.

traveler

Not Wario

Is that an unusual position for opponents of gay marriage to take? That's always been the exact comparison everyone I knew back home used for homosexuality. They'd made it far enough to understand it was inherent in humans, but since God forbid it, they figured it was like other sinful traits some of us have built in. Fairly certain they weren't closeted, self loathing gay folk. (At least, not all of them)

Pizza

The cannabis oil bill passed but its a fucking mess for sure. They are going to make people jump thro hoops to get it. There were two more mj bills that didn't make it one was a decriminalization bill and the other was a bill to get around the fuckery of the cannabis oil bill. The Texas marijuana policy project has been making great strides lots of work left tho!

Yeah, someone submitted a fix for the CBD bill for the special session but there was noooo way it was going to get any time. The other bills looked great and had unprecedented support and only died because of time! TMPP has been doing great, professional, work over here and they've been fun to follow. If there's a big push in 2019 I think we can get it! It at least had time for discussion during the special session, and all of this is unprecedented

We should replace those confederate monuments with ones honoring our fellow Texans that served in the union during the civil war. :D

Yes!!!

Top Bottom